Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He likes what he likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

rawillkill posted:

Neon Demon.

These are fan posters, everybody chill.

Love'em though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

Refn is literally the Neon Demon. Goddamn he is overusing that palate.

What the hell.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Refn has some weird form of color blindness where he can't really see muted colors which is why he prefers really bright and saturated colors. So he can see them.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

BonoMan posted:

The updated "Rey" poster has tie fighters opposite the X-Wings.

And the thing that bothers me about the poster is that it's just a Struzan knockoff. Which is fine, it looks good. But, like, that's straight up Struzan and it feels odd someone else presenting his style in their work.

As off putting as Rey looks I can't hate it. I love the colour, orange is my fav :3:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Refn has some weird form of color blindness where he can't really see muted colors which is why he prefers really bright and saturated colors. So he can see them.

What I'm confused by is how a director having a common motif is overdone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's good every time imo. Even if I don't personally like it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What I'm confused by is how a director having a common motif is overdone.

Yeah, I mean what's the deal with Kubrick and tracking shots and one-point perspective?
That guy should really give it a rest cause it's getting tired.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The word 'hack' refers to a director with no identifiable style.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's like when people get really irritated at Wes Anderdson for having a really clear and easily recognizable style. That style is obviously not for everyone but I really like it when I can tell who the director is from the look and feel of the film. I mean if you're not going to put as much of yourself into your films as you can then why even bother making films?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are plenty of directors whose work we'd never even bother to discuss in terms of the color palette. If I notice the colors in a movie I consider that a really, really good thing and I wish more currently working directors used color the way Refn does.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean if you're not going to put as much of yourself into your films as you can then why even bother making films?

Brett Ratner just lit a cigar off a burning hundred dollar bill rolled up and inserted into a stripper's vagina.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Basebf555 posted:

There are plenty of directors whose work we'd never even bother to discuss in terms of the color palette. If I notice the colors in a movie I consider that a really, really good thing and I wish more currently working directors used color the way Refn does.

I actually love the neon look and my initial post was a joke.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really wish We Happy Few was anything but yet another procedurally-generated survival roguelike, because I love the 1960s British thing they've got going with the art direction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Are they ever gonna make a good one of those, or does it just live on buzz?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Are they ever gonna make a good one of those, or does it just live on buzz?

Probably not. The gimmick for WHF is that it's set in a cross between The Prisoner and Equilibrium where everybody is dosed on happiness drugs and you're an outsider trying to avoid detection, it seems like it deserves a much better game :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc67_BrCdPc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you hadn't described it in such a disgusting way I would've just said "hey, this looks like The Ship".

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Poster Six-Pack: Happy 90th birthday, Roger Corman!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

And the winner of the most dragged out joke is

For gently caress's sake.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's kind of what Key and Peele does.

One good sketch, 4 repeats that are not funny anymore.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
K&P do a good job of the whole:

Funny
Very funny
Kinda funny
Not funny
Not funny
Not funny
Ok now its funny again

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The MSJ posted:

Now You See Me 2 is not the only movie this year featuring 4 Horsemen.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/

[quote="The MSJ" post="458297160"]
Now You See Me 2 is not the only movie this year featuring 4 Horsemen.

[timg]

[quote="The MSJ" post="458297160"]
Now You See Me 2 is not the only movie this year featuring 4 horseman.

Angel's wings are really awkwardly jutting out the back of one of his shoulders

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's like when people get really irritated at Wes Anderdson for having a really clear and easily recognizable style. That style is obviously not for everyone but I really like it when I can tell who the director is from the look and feel of the film. I mean if you're not going to put as much of yourself into your films as you can then why even bother making films?

Wes Anderson is a good example of a good director I'm tiring of. Like you said the director should be injecting themselves into the film, but some directors have a style that is so visually grandiose that it starts to wear a bit thin with me over the course of their career. For Anderson he's in every aspect of the frame - composition, color palate, production design, dolly moves, everything. Now, obviously that's what an auteur does and he's made some of my favorite movies of all time (Rushmore, Tenebaums and Zisou) but I start to feel like there hasn't really been a growth over his last 5 or so films - so his movies now feel a bit like caricatures of themselves. I started to feel it with Moonrise Kingdom and I couldn't even finish Grand Budapest Hotel (I'm going to go back to it). I mean obviously it's not a bad film I just decided after 20 minutes I wanted to go watch something else.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Like you said the director should be injecting themselves into the film, but some directors have a style that is so visually grandiose that it starts to wear a bit thin with me over the course of their career.

I think part of what you end up with is a loss of novelty in their style, so you have to either authentically enjoy it for its own sake or you can get tired of it. For a while there's also the enjoyment of discovering someone doing something new, which can carry you for a bit as distinct from specifically enjoying what they're doing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think one thing Anderson has consistently improved on over the course of his career is using his visual style as a way to tell a specific story, as opposed to the visuals just being an extra element separate from the narrative itself. Moonrise Kingdom and especially Grand Budapest Hotel are films where his style is 100% necessary to the story he's trying to tell.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Poster Six-Pack: Happy 90th birthday, Roger Corman!

That German title is fantastic.

quote:

Also I just love the rhythm of the phrase "Please do not give away the answer to the secret."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

That German title is fantastic.

The murder (?) of Mama Barker?

And then I'm guessing "when it comes to murder, when it comes to kidnapping, when it comes to robbing, Mama Barker's murder (?) is the best.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

kiimo posted:

The murder (?) of Mama Barker?

And then I'm guessing "when it comes to murder, when it comes to kidnapping, when it comes to robbing, Mama Barker's murder (?) is the best.

GmbH is a German corporate form (edit: business entity is probably a better term) so I'd translate it as "The Murder Inc. of Momma Barker". Your tagline is correct.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I like this, especially the use of stripes as prison bars:

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

rawillkill posted:

Neon Demon.

I know Amazon bought distribution rights to this, but have they given a release date yet?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welp. These are finished character banners to go along with our poster that isn't released yet. So we had a whole launch strategy for these but then some genius in our Singapore office loving tweeted them out to the world so I guess we're a go!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

:)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

kiimo posted:

So we had a whole launch strategy for these but then some genius in our Singapore office loving tweeted them out to the world so I guess we're a go!
drat, aren't there some NDA's in place against this or what? I mean, it's a waste of people's work if something like that happens every time from inside the studio.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

http://stillsadtuba.com/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Haha, I know y'all. I know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure I could identify Mystique as Jennifer Lawrence if I didn't already know.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And now you know why the trailers have her as a regular person.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

kiimo posted:

Welp. These are finished character banners to go along with our poster that isn't released yet. So we had a whole launch strategy for these but then some genius in our Singapore office loving tweeted them out to the world so I guess we're a go!

Tig Notarro is in this?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Blue Man Group movie shaping up to be a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003