Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryan
Sep 11, 2001
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Samual L. Jackson, John Travolta

Pulp Fiction was probably the best movie to come out in 1994, and is one of the best movies to be released since then.

The plot is complex in that it has more than one story intertwined with others (i.e. Jules and Vincent and the Marvin part that ends with the beginning of the Ringo scene). The dialogue is what keeps this movie going. If you aren't interested in dialogue in a movie, this may not be your movie of choice. The dialogue shows the human side of Vincent and Jules. Both are hitmen, and hitmen are usually portrayed as some gung-ho types, but these guys talk about stupid things like what they put on fries in Amsterdam.

John Travolta's role in this movie practically resurrected his career. His three movies prior to this were Look Who's Talking Now (1993), Shout (1991), and Eyes of an Angel (1991). The only one out of those three that I saw, or even heard of, was Look Who's Talking Now, and it was poorly acted. So in a sense, this did resurrect his career.

Despite Travolta's strong performance, I think Samual L. Jackson's character "Jules" stole the show. With his Ezekiel 25:17 speech that he gives, it just adds to his "bad motherfucker" image. His "bad motherfucker" image will make more sense if you've seen the movie.

The coolest character by far: Winston Wolfe. The Bonnie Situation (the scene he was in) was the best scene in the movie, and he played the coolest character in the movie. Simply put, Harvey Keitel was amazing in his small but powerful role.

The screenplay of this movie was some of the most original I've seen in a film. Which is probably why it won Best Screenplay at the 1995 Oscars, one of the few awards me and the Acadamy can agree on. To give you an idea of how original the screenplay is, Vincent dies in the middle of the movie, but is still in it at the end, where the movie ends right where it began.

RATING: 5

PROS: Excellent dialogue and screenplay
CONS: A little long

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110912/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryan
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Doronin came out of the closet to say:
My favorite line will always be from the last diner scene where Jules says in the filthy animal discussion with Vincent: "Well sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I'd never know because wouldn't eat the filthy mother fucker".
That line actually had me questioning my diet.

And, as Jules says in the diner scene, his boss's "filty laundry" is in the briefcase. Take that to mean what you want it to.