Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Correct me if I'm wrong but LOGH is english subbed japanese audio right? I got nothing against subbed works (hell yeah all 4 hours of Mongol), was just wondering if any of them, like maybe the first two movies, ever got done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh well, as long as the voices aren't too annoyingly high-pitched (which I imagine won't be the case due to the seemingly mostly male cast), I'm pretty pumped for this. I love space operas and this sounds like it's pretty much perfect

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh man what have I got myself into. Only 2 episodes and the 2 movies in and I'm hooked line and sinker

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can't... Stop... On episode 11 already, wish I didn't have to work early tomorrow :negative:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

I'm at episode 20 and speeding through. It's an incredible show, I like its explicit leftism. I'm a bit concerned about Phezzan though, since I heard that it will turn out that they were behind a lot of things, I generally dislike that kind of plot move, because it essentially substitutes the real plot with a conspiracy-like deus ex machina. I don't expect it will be quite like that though, and that there will be a twist to it like most things on this show.

Its kinda funny because(not a big spoiler but yeah) its even deeper then just phezzan, something that gets foreshadowed and hinted at frequently enough

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just finished up to Episode 84... No, no, no, WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN :smithicide:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

The preview from the previous episode spoiled that for me :argh:
Never again, anime next episode previews, never again.

The big HQ playlist for it on youtube thankfully had every video force stop right at the point where those start. (pretty big ep. ~80+ spoilers)The god drat narrator kept on heavily alluding to Yang's death too in several episodes before, with the one right before his death straight out saying something like "That was the last time Julian ever got to speak all night with him again~~"

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I just finished the main OVA, and holy poo poo this is definitely the best story I've ever seen on the screen. What's recommended now that I've finished the series? Are there any epilogue/future stories or are they all past/prologue stories to expand on the actions that brought the main characters to where they were in My Conquest is the Sea of Stars?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show is definitely the best sci-fi production put to screen ever, and at the very least it's the best anime out there. It doesn't matter if you hate any and all anime/movies/tv shows, this show is for everyone and you're just going to have to sit here and love it ok, you don't have a say in this one. Since the show is still unlicensed, you can watch it on youtube if you prefer to not have to wait for the torrents to download, so here's a playlist with high-quality subs of the whole thing: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNyY2F1OurUbDBCtILijHYI52YAiIvSX5

Oh yeah, so you should definitely watch it in the order the OP has it, and even if you find the animation really rough in the first season just deal with it because the story is still awesome and the animation markedly improves in the second season and onwards since they actually got the funding they needed to do it justice after the first season concluded. :frogsiren:DON'T watch the episode previews!

quote:

Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Movie 2 - Overture to a New Battle (Replaces Episodes 1 and 2)

Main Series (Episode 3 to Episode 110)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

Is there an English dub?

No, but I was never a fan of subbed anime before I watched LOTGH, and after watching the whole series subbed it's still awesome. The voice actors were very well selected and did phenomenal jobs.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

I just watched the first movie with a friend tonight. Different opinions-- I thought that the tactics and strategy were interesting enough, but he said that it left him a bit cold and he didn't really connect with the characters or conflict. I actually kind of agreed with him that there wasn't much to connect to on an emotional level. Although I thought there was plenty of action and content, he felt that it was a bit slow-paced.

I desperately want to like this, but as an intro it seems a bit weak.

That'll very quickly change after a few episodes into the first season. You don't really get to know the characters right away, the first 2 movies and episodes do a bit of universe building before it gets into the character stuff. But don't worry, by the time some major characters die, you'll likely be at least a little moved.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

Finished this episode. I think I'm going to cry.

Let it all out brother

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Really, its the basis of most tragedies that the protagonists are likely to not survive or at least come to a positive end; It's the journey from the start of the story to the climatic points with that vague knowledge of eventual misfortune that is so effective at illiciting emotional response

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My roommate is pretty chill, but he hates most anime, for totally valid reasons. I showed him this show though, and now he's hooked :v:

Mission accomplished

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bakabt is both your friend and enemy in this case

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krataar posted:

Star Wars thread kicked me onto this show. Saw the bolero clip a few months back. Finally learned the name of the show. I'm going to begin monday.

Edit: I assume theres no legit way of finding it other then :filez:

Yeah unfortunately there isn't.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm more pumped for the novels tbh

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know where they lie in quality between bad/alright/good, but I've already watched the series twice and am a bit burnt out on it. If the books are well written and well translated, I can't see how they won't be interesting. I read all of the Wheel of Time series; Word vomit and detailed descriptions of settings and battles ain't no problem

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, y'all are bringing back memories :smith:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's probably their way of weaseling out of having to cover everything the 110 episode show covered, due to cost

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently they're the two points that you can travel from one Galactic arm to the next with the range of their warp technology

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought so too

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

His death always gets to me, but you know what gets me even more? That loving scene where he's sitting in Alliance Command looking out at the sunset and solemnly thinking about his wife. I dunno why, but I turn into a big weepy baby every time I even think about it.

I'm rewatching LOGH with my roommate who hasn't seen it before, and we just finished that battle. I seriously hope they don't gently caress up the new series. :smith:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have 3 friends who hate anime but loved LOGH.. If you like Sci-fi or epics, or political intrigue and other space opera-ey goodness, you'll probably dig this show.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would *definitely* recommend skipping the next episode previews, they aren't just kinda spoiler-filled, they're so chockful of them to the point that it almost tells you everything of note or that could possibly be considered surprising.

As for the OP/ED, I'd recommend watching them on the first episode of each set of 4/however many episodes you're doing in one go, but not any more then that. If anything, maybe even fewer. The OP's especially get really grating down the road. The Engrish in the last OP is actually straight up horrible.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 22, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm a spoiler free kind of guy, but it's tough to say definitively, as it also depends from episode. Some are fine, others really just spoil all the interesting bits of plot of the next episode

E: And yeah, if you decide to skip the OP/ED, make sure to always watch the first ~10 seconds of the episode anyways to make sure that they didn't cut it out for more runtime in the episode. They'll trick you too because they'll play the OP song and the first shots of the Galaxy that they tend to have, and then fade into the episode 15 seconds in

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 22, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would probably have liked Zeta Gundam if the protag wasn't just the whiniest piece of poo poo I've had the misfortune of experiencing this side of NGE for most(all?) of the show

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Imagine watching LOGH as your first anime.

LOGH was my first anime. Never have found anything that scratches the itch other then a rewatch since :v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Pretty sure they actually mention this in the show, or maybe I'm just confusing it with the identical scheme they run for Yang's college tuition.

I'm almost positive they don't talk about that at all in the main OVA, all I remember is them talking about the similar scheme for 'free' tuition

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ho drat, that looks fantastic

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately LOGH will bore a new hole in your soul that can't adequately be filled by anything else.

I've rewatched it like 3 times, I wish I could have that first view experience again :smith:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Heads up folks the first two logh books are on audible now, and the third is scheduled for 11/15. Havent listened yet but since this is how i take in most books i might be able to read these suckers now.

Yessss perfect!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:drat: these audiobooks are great. Tim Gerard Reynolds is a kickass reader, he even manages to make the drier bits interesting. Would recommend 10/10 . Best part of the books is getting to see Yang's inner dialogue imo

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Volume 4: Stratagem is to be released tomorrow.

Edit: it is on my Kindle.

Aaaa glad I got my latest audible credits

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just wish the big moment in episode 82. Pouring one out for my boy Yang :mad::cry::sadwave: wasn't spoiled by an ED and the narrator so early and often.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to our shared trauma

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This talk made me go and check out how available the LD's are on eBay and whatnot and :staredog: . They fetch a high price...

Also I came across this absolute steal of a deal lol

Special Collector's edition BluRay set

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

Haven't been in this thread because I'm trying to avoid spoilers in my first watch of the OVA, but I just wanted to let you all know that I just finished episode 82 and I am not okay.

We've all been there Habibi :negative:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm waiting for the nerds who are doing the laserdisc project to finish up for my next rewatch. Sooooo stoked about the work they're doing.

Here's their latest teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3dMrtnN7Fc

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I loved the Three Kingdoms tv show and enjoyed a few other historical epic type Chinese shows, but I’ve never seen any sci fi from there. Excited regardless, though it’ll be very weird not hearing Japanese from the characters.

I forgot about that show, I never finished it but it was dope as all get out. I need to rewatch it