Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Right, as far as I've ever heard anything at a higher than DVD resolution is simply an upscale from said DVD source. For a niche anime OVA from the late 80s/mid 90s 480p is as good as it's going to get, there's no going back and rescanning from the source like they're doing with Star Trek: TNG. If you've got Central Anime's DVD releases of everything you should be all set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
And wasn't there something with the cgi they used for a lot of the ship / fleet movements that they can't upscale in the same way as the cell animation? I wouldn't expect them to have kept all the original resources anyway. Lucky the show is so drat good it could have been done in ASCII and I'd still recommend it.

vvv I didn't know CB had bluray... unless you're just talking about the movie. Was still sure there was some additional complication with the ship footage.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 21, 2013

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I was already all :stare: when the FPA council was arguing that they didn't have the economic strength to support a costly foreign invasion... after reading about exactly that on CNN... ohgod it's all happening again :tinfoil:

Quoting myself (again) from December 2011. There was also some talk about the unemployment rate/economy in the FPA which is basically the 99% movement. Does that make Trunicht loyalists analogous to the Tea Party?

I know a lot of these aren't exactly unique social issues but as I get older and am able to look back on more history that I actually experienced it really is freaky just how much our deeds remain the same...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrackedWindow posted:

Thinking of watching this. How many episodes are subbed and is the cast introduced gradually or overwhelmingly all at once?

Yea the first handful of episodes are a little names-character heavy since everyone is being introduced. Eventually the major players will get enough screen time and become easily recognizable, and anyone else of note will continue to get little name/title popups in the subs when they show up after a long absence. If you're grabbing subs I recommend getting the ones by Central Anime. They've been subbing this show for like 10 years at this point and seem to have gotten the style/tone of the characters down to a science at this point. Also don't watch episodes 1 and 2, replace them with the movie Overture to a New War as it is much better paced and provides a smoother introduction to the show in general.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrackedWindow posted:

Sorry, my bad. I'm guessing i should watch "Overture to a new battle first".

That is chronologically first, so if you don't mind a slightly longer ramp up narratively then absolutely do the 2 movies followed by ep3 and on. Basically the series starts off with the characters referencing this big battle that just took place, and My Conquest is that battle. The only issue I've ever had is that those first 2 movies are pretty similar thematically so watching them back to back can feel slightly redundant. That's picking some nits tho, it's all good content and we all envy you just getting to watch it all for the first time, and without month-long breaks between episodes at that :argh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel comparing it to BSG is an extreme disservice to LOGH. LOGH at least had a well executed ending.

Also I keep thinking I have heard the new BSG was inspired in part by LOGH, but maybe I'm thinking of a different show's team that claimed it was inspired by LOGH.

Yes it will ruin any space opera-like shows for you in the future. I can't even see myself watching another show of this type because what's the point? I started at the top, why bother going down from there? And the political back-and-forth machinations blows anything in BSG right out of space. It was a cool show and all but even the writers admitted they were just making stuff up towards the end.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like CA just recently put out the gaidens in 720, I haven't seen them so I can't speak to the quality, but they're here. They never released DVD versions of these episodes the way they did the rest of the series so everything before this was laser disc rips I believe.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

reagan posted:

Awesome, thank you very much.

I don't know any Japanese, but I have to ask. Is it yareyare that Yang and others say all the time? That and Teitoku! and Kakka! are going to stick with me forever after watching the show.

Yep that's what I've always heard. It's sort of a casual 'oh man' type phrase that helps establisy Yang's easy going/passive personality. "What's that commander? Reject my genius plan for a casualty-free victory and instead go with the tried-and-true 'face off and shoot at each other until one side dies' strategy? Yare yare here we go again :shobon: "

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That last bit is one of my least favorite things in the whole show, just seems a little too comic book supervillainy compared to everything else staying relatively realistic or at least believable. What if he like tripped in the shower one day? Dick move Rubinsky, dick move.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

I don't recall him sabotaging anything at all. His whole life is dedicated to his job but whether that was for his personal gain or for the greater good of the Empire was something that nobody really knew.

I think they're talking about when he goes to that planet that was rebelling against the Empire and is a total hardass and throws all the leaders in prison, then when Reinhard shows up and lets them all out he's treated like the good guy. That's the biggest example in my mind of Oberstein intentionally being an rear end in a top hat just to make the other leaders look better by comparison.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I have a post somewhere in this thread from like March 2010 where I was commenting on the FPA bitching about having to raise taxes because they can't cover all these foreign wars, while CNN was reporting on the exact same thing with the USA :v:

Zero_Tactility posted:

I don't think that my reading comprehension is that bad, but I wouldn't mind being corrected. In what way does the worst democracy beat the ultimate (as in best ruler overall, not most dictatorial) dictatorship aside from the metric of reducinglimiting the potential amounts of future crappiness according to the show? Or is that the only metric that matters?

What they're saying is the dude said that a crap democracy was still better than a good dictatorship, then you replied with an explanation from the show of how a crap democracy was still better than a good dictatorship. Everyone is in agreement all the time yaaay.

So I've been working on a way to share just LoGH stuff from my PlexApp server, and I think I've got it down properly now. I still don't know if I can use a dummy account that just has LoGH access and just hand that out to multiple people, or if I will still need to add individual accounts to my main server and just selectively share the LoGH content. But if anyone wants to be a guinea pig over the weekend let me know and we'll swap emails or something and try it out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Young characters are also pretty rare. I can't think of an annoying VA in the show.

That's another huge plus the show has going for it, the only prominent 'child sidekick' character is Julian, he's at least 14 when we meet him and he's frequently the most mature dude in the room :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You little bastards :(

When I first started reading this thread there were only subtitles for the first ~60 episodes. Eventually people got tired of waiting for CentralAnime to release the rest and went and got some batch torrent of some crappy subs from Hong Kong that were barely intelligible. For a while I even banished myself from the thread because suddenly people were discussing the last 2 seasons, and it was probably at least a year until I finally sat down and watched the final episode. Darn kids these days don't know how good you got it :corsair:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The preview from the previous episode spoiled that for me :argh:
Never again, anime next episode previews, never again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Occasionally a show will do something cool with the previews like Cowboy Bebop or Haruhi did, but this is such a series-defining bomb that it largely scared me away from next episode previews in all media. gently caress you Breaking Bad I don't WANT to know what happens next.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A more clever goon than I once called her Annerosebud, a narrative object that drives the motivations of other characters but doesn't really have any agency herself.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a 110 episode political space opera that started in 1988 and it's ~*anime*~ which can be hard to talk people into starting. But like others have said watching people trickle into this thread singing its praises for a decade is a pretty strong indication that this one really is special.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never had a problem getting them from Central Anime, I'd recommend their version anyway as they've been subbing this show for literally decades now. This group is so old they used to mail VHS tapes to each other :corsair:

Anyway links to everything from DVD sources are here on their forums. I've never felt the need to try tracking down HD rips since for the most part they'll be upscales from the DVD source anyway.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chocobo posted:

just finished Ep. 82: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Reaction posts to that episode are like wonderful interdimentional echoes, reflecting back through the pages of history again and again for us to enjoy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
His 7(?) part history of Rome is pretty great as well, plenty of poltical jockeying and backstabbing ( :v: ) for you to analyze with LoGH parallels. It was taking so many episodes to get through he just said gently caress IT and made the last ep a 3 hour long 'movie' podcast. Download his poo poo and get on that treadmill goons.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the DVD released were supposed to have slightly better visual quality than the old LD rips. They're all linked from the CA forums:
http://www.centralanime.net/caforums2011/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krataar posted:

In the middle of the second film. Blonde german man is going to crush them and tragic dying friend is going to bring out the alexander the conqueror in yang isnt he.

Edit : Its like Ken Burns civil war. I love the music. This (assuming) tragic epic involving two titans wrestling and destroying everything everybody holds dear.

I was about to agree with you but the show is honestly a lot more nuanced than that. It might seem that way at the beginning but as the story developes you'll see both sides have legit benefits and weaknesses so it can't really be boiled down to good VS bad except the Terraists, gently caress those guys.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
30 new posts in the LoGH thread, I knew poo poo had gone down, still wasn't expecting this :stare: I am MAKING shelf space for this.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
JUST KIDDING they actually recently licensed the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky property, no hard feelings right guys :downs:

I'll admit the ANN article is confusing, it's all about the original series but then it does throw in that last paragraph mentioning a new adaptation out of nowhere. I'm seeing lots of different sites talking about this, CrunchyRoll and even Central Anime's forums, but so far it looks like everything is linking back to the ANN article, so if that's inaccurate then who knows what's really going to happen. I'm placing this in the 'cautiously optimistic' portion of my brain for the time being.

A Twitter thread with the con announce pic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're skipping the next episode previews right? You should skip them so you don't get tipped off about THAT EPISODE later on in the series ;)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Booourns posted:

The only way you won't see THAT ep coming in advance is to just not watch the show at all really

Yeah but at least you won't have the narrator going 'Hey literally this is going to happen NEXT TIME ON LoGH!!".

Hocus Pocus posted:

Dig that first season ED though, especially when it plays over a closing montage.

I've always liked it when shows have content during the OP/ED, like there was just so much good poo poo in this episode they couldn't fit it in so they cut the canned opening and/or closing because holy poo poo guys you have to see this. It also only seems to happen when realshit is going down, maybe that's why.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stopping reading isn't a bad idea, just don't stop posting first impressions as you watch. It's all we grizzled LoGH veterans have to live for anymore (unless these English releases are legit, we could look forward to those I suppose).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't happen very often but every once in a while the show goes "here's how this works it's sci-fi lol" and you just have to roll with it. I always thought the Zephyr(?) Particles they use to prevent blaster fire was kind of analogous to gas warfare in WWI, sort of a mutually assured destruction option on a small scale.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Id like annerose to get a personality swap

FTFY

A goon more clever than I once called her Annerosebud, a plot object that just sits there inertly and servers only to motivate another character.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That dog is on screen for like 2 seconds the entire series but it does so much to humanize Ol' Terminator Eyes. People who love their pets can't be aaaaaaalllll bad... Oberspoilers --> Also his dying thoughts are of his old dog, let him eat what he wants indeed :smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like your goal is to render in podcast form the 'Hey I'm watching LoGH for the first time holy shiiiiiiiiiit this is good' posts that we see in the thread every once in a while. I support this.

One suggestion, I'd slightly alter your chronological order and replace the first 2 episodes with Overture to a New Battle (movie 2). It covers the same content but is much better paced/animated than those first episodes, which give kind of a rough start to the story.

Consider the following:
Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Movie 2 - Overture to a New Battle (Replaces Episodes 1 and 2)
Main Series (Episode 3 to Episode 110)
(Optional Prequels)

Looking forward to this regardless.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just thought of something, are you guys going to listen to the entire opening and ending songs each episode? This is important.

Also in actual importance, I don't know if you're aware or not but the Next Episode previews can get a bit spoiler-y later on, so I recommend skipping the hell out of those at all times for your first time through the series.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's kinda tough to say. A lot of times it will be the closing scenes of an episode and the narrator will jump in with a "But little did they know that they would soon be bla bla bla". The story justification for this is that the entire show is modeled after a WWII documentary on the History Channel, and we're all complaining that they spoil what happens to Hitler half way through :v:

On the OP/ED front I think each of the 4 different openings and closings are done by the same artist (?) so it can be neat to recognize them as you go through the seasons, but realistically I wouldn't watch the entire things more than a couple of times each season. And like some have said they get dropped pretty often and they just run credits over more scenes because there was too much badass political intrigue to contain in a single episode that week.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you'll see it plenty in future episodes, but imagine the Death Star covered in mercury. Ships can slowly fly through no problem, but lasers or explosives will have all their energy absorbed before they could reach the 'surface' of the station and cause actual damage.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah yo uknow, like uh, quantum entanglement... and, yeah.

At least they establish something like that early on, in the show (end of show chat) his brainwave-based deadman switch is kind of out of nowhere, I felt it was one of the more blatantly sci-fi aspects of an otherwise relatively realistic story.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the manga the same story as the show or is it based more on book content?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Its not slow at all. Theres a lot of it but each episode is fairly impactful, and not just a chunk of an idea like so many shounen multi-parters.

The very beginning can seem a bit daunting, as you're being introduced to 2 dozen characters but before learning why you should care about them. I'll give a slight mid-season 1 spoiler to HeartPlug to see if they're willing to stick with the show: By the middle of the first season you'll be watching each side try to put down a civil war AT THE SAME TIME :kingsley: . If you're any kind of political history buff that should be incentive enough to tough out the occasionally dry setup episodes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It really is the best anime. Not my personal favorite, not the first one I recommend for someone just starting anime, but just the best overall.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't have many complaints about the narrative overall, but making it like a History Channel documentary where the audience is expected to know all the broad strokes in advance is pretty dumb and mean to new viewers.

[spoiler]in the next episode Germany loses WWII[spoiler] :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Back when that Trump staffer got drunk and went on like all the afternoon political talk shows in one afternoon, someone in the CSPAM thread posted this:

Gives me warm fuzzies to know LoGH is still somewhat in the zeitgeist :)

Billzasilver posted:

I've actually never seen the first two episodes of the original anime, since they got replaced by the movie.

The movie really does a better job setting the stage than those 2 episodes. Even compared to other parts of season 1 the animation and pacing of those 2 in particular is a bit poo poo.

They're both a little awkward if you watch My Conquest first, as pretty much the same things happen in both. I guess at the time they thought people would only have seen one or the other.