Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
You mean "the Arashi"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

weekly font posted:

Pro click. Watch this right now.
"LET'S GO DEVITT! *clap clap clapclapclap*"

Oh god, somehow an American indy crowd had the wrong tickets and ended up at a New Japan show. In fairness, the "American indy" vibe (or maybe more specifically "ROH") of the match, crowd and 'craziness with the table, ladder, and chair' alike, helped me get into this.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

I'd assume that's the gimmick where he was supposed to be a high school delinquent/yanki.
Think Kenka Bancho or ouendan.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Hahaha Tenga. They make eggs you can gently caress, and their commercials are pretty weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i6kWbdTvjk

But the best part is the quote on his picture.
The interview makes it look like he's claiming that the roster already took care of that.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
All I thought of was "at least Okada learned from Pope D'Angelo Dinero..."

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So "Maybach" Taniguchi = the former Shuhei Taniguchi?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So Goto has finally escaped the shadow of Nakamura and Tanahashi and "second" to them?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

They could've had Goto be a total star when he returned from his Mexican vacation in 2009 all badass and buff and with tons of momentum. Then they kinda dicked around with him for three years.
The NOAH "young" roster's been dicked around even longer.
:negative:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

LordPants posted:

Bret also thought that Misawa wasn't as good as the original Tiger Mask.
At being Tiger Mask (seeing as Misawa was Tiger Mask II), perhaps.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

Every card I see, convinces me that NOAH books shows by pulling names out of a hat.
There was that one X-mas show where they I think they literally had the fans do it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Therein is the downfall of NOAH.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Apparently Johnny Ace has been divested of his backstage duties and is now just a guy who sometimes appears at house shows to get pinned by the faces?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

No, it's just a sign on the wall because the companies had a close relationship in the past.
This was during Gabe's puro fanboy days before Dragon Gate became the new hotness.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 24, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It's not surprising that Inoki saw Nakamura as "the one" -- but it was filtered through INOKISM~ and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason for Tanahashi becoming ace (despite having said potential and merited his opportunities) was because Inoki had wrecked Nakamura's early years with INOKISM~ booking and forcing the "learning excursion".

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Sakuraba is probably the guy on that show most recognizable to the Japanese public on that show and they likely think he's dead.
Considering what's happened to him in MMA, can you really blame them?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A Cageside Seats anecdote claims that when Suwama got on the mic to ask where Shiozaki was, it was a shoot in the sense that he hadn't gotten the news that only part of the former NOAH guys were being booked regularly.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Respectively they represented as of mid-2004 (L to R) AJPW (Mutou), NOAH (Misawa), Zero-One (Hashimoto) and NJPW (Chono).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Same developer studio, yes, but it was meant to be a succcessor to the Fire Pro Wrestling series (with Fire Pro Wrestling Z to be that series' conclusion in 2003) that was licensed to have pro wrestlers under real names and appearances, i.e. Kenta Kobashi instead of "Lightning Keiji Togashi", Yuji Nagata instead of "The Shootist Yujiro Sakata" and so on. For anyone who's wondering:
King of Colosseum II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9edNHW2N0Q
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8m99r047bI

KOC2 came out in mid-September 2004, while Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (the return-to-2D) came out in mid-September 2005; the American localization debuted in mid-November 2007 and the European one in mid-February 2008.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
They were Team Takeover back before Shibata went off to do MMA; I don't recall if Takeover was before, after or concurrent with his time in Big Mouth Loud and UWAI Station.

(BML collapsed after promoter/booker Fumihiko Uei split with wrestler Kazunari Murakami and Shibata went freelancer, but Shibata was apparently still managed by Uei who started up said UWAI Station promotion -- it only ran eight shows and apparently Shibata split with Uei even before that to go MMA full-time.)

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I guess that was the case ever since TARU and Hirai backstage, no?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

The management behind AJPW is so crazy right now that even Mutoh bowed out.
To summarize: AJPW never completely recovered from the NOAH split and Mutou's early tenure (overspending and American-influenced booking during the early 00's), they had to keep their head above water by downsizing and using fewer gaijin, but then in 2011 he stepped down after Nobukazu Hirai got shot on backstage and almost killed by TARU (leading to the forced disbanding of the Voodoo Murders),the legendary referee Kyohei Wada (of 80s-90s AJPW "glory days" fame) leaving after 37 years with the company, and Minoru Suzuki may have left for NJPW for the same reason.

This year, AJPW was then sold to a corporation called Speed Partners... whose president began his stewardship of AJPW by stirring up poo poo with New Japan, claiming that he could buy NJPW out from Bushiroad, that he wanted AJPW to catch up to NJPW within a year, he was interested in buying a MMA organization and that "The only good wrestlers NJPW have are Nakamura and Nagata" and thus that he'd want to sign them both to AJPW... then after the March 17th show at Sumo Hall, he publicly berated a wrestler "and started shoving him in front of the fans, before Hikaru Sato stopped him with a takedown", then proceeded to accuse NJPW of fixing matches and "how they have to get rid of that practice from the sport of pro wrestling", pissing off Riki Choshu and others. Oh, and apparently he wanted to bring in The Rock and do MMA crossovers. :psyboom: Eventually Shiraishi fired AJPW's president Masayuku Uchida (Mutou's successor since 2011) only to then appoint himself as acting president, so since Mutou couldn't secure financial backing to buy AJPW back from Shiraishi he's apparently going to form his own promotion using several AJPW wrestlers.

Oh, and presumably they still haven't recovered from advertising Ric Flair & Keiji Mutou vs. Tatsumi Fujinami & Seiya Sanada for January 26th this year, leading to a rare sellout, only to pull the rug out from under the fans at the show when Ric Flair bowed out that day due to an alleged blood clot and AJPW didn't offer refunds (although there were rumors that Ric Flair had been faking it and always intended Reid Flair to replace him).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

golden oldies pete posted:

Don't forget Reid Flair dying soon after.
That wasn't publicly tied to AJPW, was it?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
... so Mutou is deliberately calling back to what Cageside Seats characterized as a flop-at-the-gates that AJPW never recovered from?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Inoki's back in office on the Japan Restoration Party ticket.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Yep, a mid-November 2012 merger of the regional Osaka Restoration Association (most recently notorious for the mayor of Ōsaka city) with the former Party of the Sun (previously aka "Rise Up Japan"); Ishihara announced Inoki's candidacy in early June this year.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Japanese-occupied Korea, at that... though the 2004 biopic purports that it was anti-Korean discrimination in sumo that prompted him to turn to pro wrestling.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Thauros posted:

I thought using those ancient wrestlers for so long unchanged was awesome and it seems like they were about the only cool things they had left.
With this one-word change, you'd also be describing NOAH in 2009 to a tee.
:negative:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'm still remembering a NOAH crowd laughing at Samoa Joe.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Everyone called it about six years ago when it was clear that they either suck at training rookies or don't give a poo poo about them.
If I recall, it was (also) that the NOAH crowd flat-out didn't seem to give a poo poo about them or the "post-90s" guys either with the main exceptions of KENTA and for a time Marufuji.

I'd add that NOAH also had for rookie output I think less than ten?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Shiozaki, Kotaro Suzuki, Sugiura, Aoki and MAYBACH. Those last two debuted in 2005. I vaguely remember another guy who debuted around the same time whose name I can't remember.
That'd be Genba Hirayanagi (previously Tsutomu Hirayanagi), who was working a shithead heel gimmick for a while, though I remember him being inept at it in his early days, almost as if the joke was that "NOAH is so honorable that this would-be heel doesn't understand basic concepts like using weapons BEHIND THE REF'S BACK, and using weapons in NOAH is so outside-of-the-ref's-frame-of-reference that the ref doesn't DQ him".

Illinois Smith posted:

Morishima debuted in 1998 and went through the All Japan dojo before that. Don't think you can count him.
Agreed, I didn't count him or Rikio either because they both started in AJPW, as did KENTA and Marufuji.

Illinois Smith posted:

The only other dojo graduate I can find on cagematch is Hitoshi Kumano, who debuted last year. So that's six or seven rookies in 14 years.
More mind-bogglingly yet tellingly, he's the only post-Misawa guy in NOAH.

coconono posted:

To me it always seemed like the moment they started to run with a guy and had a crowd that didn't buy it, they immediately went back to one of the old guard guys.
In some cases, it seemed to me like the bookers were intending to "slow burn" the young guys the same way that the old guard were built up in AJPW, without accelerating the push when such booking wasn't enough for the newer NOAH crowds to get into the younger guys.

And that was even before self-sabotage like having Marufuji vs. KENTA main event the tour-ender with a weak card and them essentially going over-the-top "spot monkey junior" style...

Chortles fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Panama Red posted:

It always seemed a strange twist of fate to me that NOAH, a promotion started by an exodus of premier 1990s heavyweights, produced two really popular junior heavyweights who are now the biggest names in the company and the leaders of two of the major units. You would think that a company with Misawa, Kobashi, Akiyama and Taue would bring up a generation of awesome heavyweight talent, but instead your new big names would arguably be more at home in Dragon Gate or Michinoku Pro.
Moreover for irony, the juniors in general were (until far, far too late) booked as flat-out not being on the level of said heavyweights, though I suppose that that's part of why ROH and nowadays WWE just flat-out abolished weight classes eventually.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I thought that the problems for Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Nagata were on account of INOKISM~?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Details on how Akiyama lost the championship here.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Great White Hope posted:

Wrestle-1 started in the shits and never rose out.
They were basically a second NOAH at best with way less star power.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

coconono posted:

wasn't it NOSAWA that got kicked out of All Japan for roughing up a new guy backstage?
You're thinking of TARU and his stable VOODOO-MURDERS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So, uhh, Tanahashi lost his air guitar in Okinawa... and now it has a Web site.