Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this ddt train match is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

with the pac news, i feel like it's time to ask that's been bugging me for a while: does anyone here actually regularly watch any non-new japan japanese wrestling, and if so, how? this thread is like 12 years old but has had about 20 posts in the six months, so i am assuming the answer is no

my twitter seems to include exactly two people who regularly watch DDT and TJP, and i guess they use the official streaming service for that. that'd be tempting if ddt wasn't completely impenetrable. like, it's not the overall storylines that are impossible, it's the moment to moment of the thing, and nothing short of live captions are gonna help with that

i know no one who keeps up with dragon gate, especially now that they have that weird OwE splinter that took a bunch of their roster. i guess they also have a streaming service but it sucks? but it seems like dragon gate is fun and flippy and i think i'd like the style, and i have to imagine the unit-based storylines makes it relatively easy to follow, so why is it that no one is watching it?

there's also all japan, which has exciting meme stars in zeus and the bodyguard, and again their own streaming service, but also, again, i know no one who regularly watches it

oh, and stardom, which seems good and the one id be most likely to actually subscribe to.

so what do y'all watch, if anything? is there a calendar of events, or do you just pick up whatever shows up in weird private google drive folders? i can't imagine anyone is spending like $50 a month on all these subscriptions

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

drat that must have been a wild rear end pedigree to do that, always thought that was a really safe move

(dunno who did it and not blaming them or whatever I just always thought it was one of the safest things you could do involving an opponents head and neck)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

NOAH's big announcement was that they're running Osaka EDION Arena 1 on September 16th and Sumo Hall on November 2nd (BJW and DDT are running Sumo Hall on the 3rd and 4th so stacked weekend for wrestling)

poo poo, if new japan announced that far in advance and i could see one of their shows too (even korakuen), i'd be looking at november flights

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm going to be in Japan from October 27 to November 11. My plan is to go see the DDT Sumo Hall show on 11/3, as well as NJPW Power Struggle, though I'm still waiting for a date announcement on that (it's always the first or second weekend of November in Osaka, I guess). Also thinking I'm gonna see Stardom at Korakuen on 11/4.

Anyone have thoughts on how best to get a ticket for the DDT show? I think they're already on sale, and there is an online ticketing portal, but I'm assuming it's one of those weird ones where you need a Japanese address or to pick up tickets at a 7-11 within 30 days of purchase or some other poo poo. I saw an old Reddit thread where someone recommended https://buysumotickets.com/, anyone have experience with that?

Also, re: Sumo Hall: how weird and awkward is sharing a box seat as a solo attendee? Should I just go with a 2F ticket?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

NJPW is running Power Struggle the same date and time as DDT's Ryogoku show :ohdear:

I think I'm going to go to the Road to Power Struggle (the last Super Jr Tag League block matches) show the Friday before at the same venue in Osaka and stick to my plan of DDT? Hard loving choice though.

NJPW is also running Korakuen 10/28. Any tips on getting tickets for that? Buy Sumo Tickets still work, or did they get shut down?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

finally got a ticket for DDT's big Ryogoku show in November. managed to pay online and have it set to do a ticket pickup at a FamilyMart, but I have until the day of the show to pick it up, it's not one of those expiring ones (since this one is actually prepaid)

ended up getting a "2F" (balcony) A section ticket. they said they were low on these on the DDT ticketing site so I suspect I got one of the worse remaining ones, but the view looks pretty good online. I thought about doing those box seats but I figured I'd save a bit of money and social stress by sticking to the balcony. feel like DDT's comedy is broad enough I won't need to be that close to get a lot out of it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Adaptabullshit posted:

So I did a thing and will be seeing DDT at Ryogoku. Any other goons going?

yup! i'll be in the upper deck halfway into my first ever japan vacation, i think it's going to be like a 7 hour show or some bullshit so will have plenty of time to say hi to folks i hope!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Adaptabullshit posted:

I loving love this company

my seat was not nearly as close as yours, but i had a good time anyways! honestly kinda glad i had a real seat for the six hours, dunno how sitting in one of those boxes would be

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

speaking of brookes, looking forward to this

https://twitter.com/drewparker341/status/1343330493740195840

that's the main, here's the full card for anyone who wants to translate it: https://bjw.co.jp/schedule/s2020-12-30/

i'm assuming this is taped considering the name "fighting tv," but not sure where to expect it - bjw core? or will it air on samurai tv at some point and i'll have to wait until then for a vod?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this looks fun

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1343846836935610368

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

The other fun part of Hino being back in DDT is more goons can see his weird belly button

i watched the d-oh finals in a total brain fog cuz it was like 3 hours after brodie's death was announced and this is the only thing i remember about the show

just the weirdest goddamn navel situation

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

chris brookes is streaming overwatch to like 15 people on twitch rn and seems like his setup is solid enough, should be a fun lil show on saturday

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i have spent literally all loving year thinking "i should give gleat another shot" after watching, like, some very early show

should i just watch GLEAT Ver. 1 from back in july? or the most recent G PROWRESTLING/LIDET UWF shows? might just watch the one from last week since it has english subs

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 17, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ok but whens chris ridgeway going to be able to return

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

are bulk orchestra any good because they certainly have the greatest tag team name of 2021-2

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this ref is bad at his job, these guys had time for a group pose and everything

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

love this guy with the eye shadow is wrestling in matching jordans

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this is such a good shirt and i have no idea how id get it to america https://spe.easy-myshop.jp/c-item-detail?ic=A000000197

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

They really didn't need a clip of the Akiyama/Dieno match. We'd like to all forget it happened

this is basically the only dieno match i've watched in the last two years and honestly i thought it was kind of great but also all i needed to see in that two years

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

im kinda half watching this show while playing hit game, the biggest soulslike of 2022 the one everyone is talking about, Strangers of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin (SOPFFO), but im excited about this particular match and the last four matches on the card

I bet Takagi/Nakazawa will slay in the building but be kinda lost on me trying to listen through Akki's live translation, lol

btw, who's the third person on English commentary today? I missed the preshow, dunno if they were identified

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yo that match owned

not sure i remember seeing okatani before but he looked great there

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

tbf, do any of these wrestlers have any brain cells left to hit

a fun fact about ryogoku is that it bans any spots with glass in them. this made the big japan pro wrestling show i went to in 2019 have some of the most horrifying loving spots on earth because everyone was trying to find new ways to bleed in their absence

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that loving owned wtf

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

thank you to japan bakery marketing for presenting this match

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

also!

https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1507931097799475212

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gotta remember shunma taking a bare-assed bump onto lego when we're doing gnarliest spots of the year ballots

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

DDT Audience 2022
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Naomi Yoshimura vs Yuki Ishida
Akito, Danshoku Dieno & Yuki Iino vs Antonio Honda, HARASHIMA & Toru Owashi
Burning (Jun Akiyama, Tetsuya Endo, Yusuke Okada & Yuya Koroku) vs El Unicorn, Ilusion, Yuji Hino & Yukio Naya
Kazuki Hirata vs Yuki Ueno
Hardcore Match: Definitely not 37KAMIINA (Carousel Shun/Shunma Katsumata & Elizabeth Toy/Toi Kojima) vs Prominence (Akane Fujita & Suzu Suzuki)
KO-D Tag Team Titles: CDK (Chris Brookes & Masahiro Takanashi)(c) vs ASUKA & MAO
KO-D 6 Man Tag Team Titles Tournament Finals: DAMNATION TA (Daisuke Sasaki, KANON & MJ Paul) vs Eruption (Hideki Okatani, Kazusada Higuchi & Yukio Sakaguchi)
Live on Wrestle Universe

gonna watch this in half an hour! though i haven't watched any BOSJ at all sooo might throw something from that on during the pheromones match

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this sword gimmick is good if pheremones did more of this and less of the thrusting id be into it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i had to split screen that last match muted with the end of something else i was watching but it seemed like it ruled, will have to rewatch with full tokyo go

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

incredibly good choice of entrance music

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

anyone know if this prominence show will show up on wrestle universe or elsewhere? card looks pretty dope https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=343982&page=2

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that whipped

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that match might accidentally be the match of the night on a tournament final show haha

that said lets fuckin go yoshimura!!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that said im now scared eruption is going to beat me up

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

boo but also holy gently caress what a match

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i hope higuchi retains at wrestle peter pan but honestly can't be mad if he doesn't, they're doing a great job with this moment

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Also a correction Saki Akai is teaming with Jun at Peter Pan not wrestling him.

this kinda feels like it might be an international opponent/return spot, right? reminds me of antonio honda & miyu yamashita vs kenny omega & riho. i can't really think of any obvious tag opponents for such a random-seeming team (have either of them said why they're teaming yet?)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

this kinda feels like it might be an international opponent/return spot, right? reminds me of antonio honda & miyu yamashita vs kenny omega & riho. i can't really think of any obvious tag opponents for such a random-seeming team (have either of them said why they're teaming yet?)

i was a fool, the opponents were obvious in retrospect

https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1545241630571401216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

just realized that wrestle princess 3 starts at the same time as the suzuka f1 race :negative: