Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is DDT good? What are they like compared to other Japanese promotions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Imagine if WWE went full tilt crazy. But, like, in a fun way.

Also the workrate isn't too bad either.

That's all I need to know, I guess!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can I ask for a brief description/writeup of AJPW, NOAH, and DDT? I'm interested in their styles and direction, compared to, say, NJPW. The most I know is that NOAH broke off from AJPW, DDT does a lot of weird comedy matches, but that's it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

AJPW usually favours bigger boys, a lot of their matches tend to be chop fests. The big exception being their ace Kento Miyahara who is very much in the Tanahashi mould. They put a stronger emphasis on tag team wrestling than most companies and their tag league is one of the highlights of the year. The junior division is judokas and technicians. They don't book around big shows, instead booking their calendar around their four big tournaments. The highlight of the undercards are usually comedy matches involving Masanobu Fuchi, Jun Akiyama, Atsushi Maruyama and Black Menso~te.

NOAH is more similar to NJPW in approach with longer main events in the puro epic vein. They have far more kick based offence than NJPW does. The tag division is also far stronger than NJPW's and this year has been dominated by AXIZ (Go Shiozaki and Katsuhiko Nakajima). The junior division is one of the best around. Right now it's booked around a faction war between Ratel's and Stinger. They have a big Sumo Hall show on November 2nd that would be a good jumping in point.

DDT is primarily known for comedy, but they also are really good at turning out excellent mat based technicians. The current ace of the company is Konosuke Takeshita, who is one of the best in the world but also not so popular among the fanbase because it turns out puro ace is not a character archetype that appeals to DDT fans. Even when their matches aren't pure comedy, they are often incredibly creative. My favourite match of the year was a single light tube match in DDT where breaking the light tube meant losing the match. The comedy undercards are often an easier watch than the endless multiman tags in the other promotions but their big shows have a tendency to run extremely long, like 6-7 hours with the dark matches.

All of those sound cool! I think what NJPW is lacking at the most is a proper tag division (not the endless exhibition multi-man tags) with stakes. I might see them for myself, since I'm freeing up some money by getting rid of my Adobe Photography Plan subscription. Is there English commentary?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I came across Kenta Kobashi's theme GRAND SWORD and was blown away. What are other awesome puro entrance themes from the veterans/legends?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I have a question about the DDT single light tube deathmatch that's been talked about in the MOTY thread. I watch the YouTube free video, but what was the opening segment about? They were demoing a bat or something but it didn't seem related to the actual match at all. It's just a little baffling.

Being a little more curious about DDT, I also searched for Pokotan matches. I came upon a match wherein Pokotan was the referee, but some guy with the DDT logo on his head intervened... and things just became very confusing (I haven't finished it because I had to get ready for work)?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks! I might finally bite and sub within the year...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hoo boy I really should get into that DDT Universe sub now.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Like NJPW World, if I subscribe to DDT Universe right now I'll get billed on Feb 1 again, right?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
That said, is there a shortlist of great matches to watch on DDT Universe? I've subbed but the amount of content is overwhelming. Or should I just walk my way through the MOTYC lists?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've only heard good things about AJPW on the wrestling front, but why did the NOAH exodus happen in the first place? Wikipedia says a lot of people didn't trust Motoko Baba's leadership--was she legit bad at it or was it all just drama? Would it have been prevented?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wasn't that the origin of the Shelton X Benjamin swerve in NJPW

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched the inaugural DDT Universal Championship match. Some thoughts on DDT Universe so far:
- Shows aren't broken up by match, so I have to skip around. I'm not a fan but I guess I've been spoiled by NJPW World
- I appreciate that the wrestlers (even the referees) are quippy. The atmosphere is a bit more laid-back.
- The English of the segment introducing the DDT Universal Championship was pretty good!
- They use mostly Google Translate so some of the matches/videos have weird titles
- Rojo matches are very fun. I just would like more context for some of them--why did they wrestle in a gym (they also went down to the neighboring Family Mart, and returned for the finish)? I got disappointed when I checked a video that had a bookstore in the thumbnail, expecting some wrestling to happen inside a bookstore, but it was only about dudes talking.
- This is more of a general thing, but I wish I knew wrestlers' finishers before watching their matches so I would know what to expect. Sometimes I just get surprised by a finish. Chris Brookes is particularly good a roll-ups, it seems?
- Is there a schedule of major DDT events?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

just rust posted:

While we are on the subject of Rojo ProWres everyone should watch the elephant park one. It's here.

They are wrestling in some kind of elephant sanctuary amusent park thing because wouldn't it be cool if elephants were nearby during a wrestling match? This is all the justification that is needed.

I loved this. It was a surreal experience.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Tell me about great Katsuhiko Nakajima matches. He worked a G1, didn't he? How was it?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Aee there any legit Pokotan matches where Pokotan actually gets to do things??

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just hope DDT can split matches into their own videos because that's what makes watching easy for me

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

coconono posted:

TIL Kenoh’s name literally translates to King Fist.

King of Fisting

I wonder if it's a Fist of the North Star reference.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
DDT Universe rebranding to WRESTLE UNIVERSE is pretty cool.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Between AJPW and NOAH's tag divisions, which should I watch if I could only follow one? (I have a DDT Universe sub if that helps)

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 14, 2020

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does NOAH have little to no interference (think Bullet Club shenanigans) in their booking? I feel like I need a palette cleanser from all the nasty things that Bullet Club has been doing of late in NJPW.

(I already have a WRESTLE UNIVERSE sub, I'm just looking for more reasons to get into NOAH more)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Wait there is an AJPW wrestler whose name is literally Bear Storm? Sweet.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could anyone tell me about NOAH's commentary team? I'm sure the one doing color commentary is a wrestler, but I'm not sure who it is. I heard Kobashi does it sometimes but I've never heard him speak. (I haven't watched the opening parts of shows because I just do matches)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So Kotaro Suzuki is a huge Gundam nerd with Neo-Zeon inspired gear, having moves named Funnel, Blue Destiny, and Endless Waltz. Awesome.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched a NOAH show (4/19) and while I was skipping to the Jr. Heavyweight title match I saw that there was this weird match between Takashi Sugiura and some dude named Rocky Kawamura (who's apparently a legit MMA fighter). It started as a boxing match, until at some point Sugiura gets his gloves off and starts really wrestling, all the while Rocky is screaming incoherently for some reason. It ended with a count-out finish where Sugiura managed to tie Rocky's gloves to some metal fixture, and Rocky nearly made it to the ring before literally faceplanting in front of it. It's very weird and entertaining, I did not expect to see Toru Yano-style antics in NOAH.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does that make any sense? A complete swerve? I've only started getting into NOAH, maybe Kenoh's knockout kick did a number on Nakajima's head?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Shiozaki had a title defense against Marufuji last month, but it isn't in Wrestle Universe. Is it going to be uploaded (I know it isn't instant) or not?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Tanahashi wrestled in NOAH? Was he invading from NJPW?

I started watching this person's YT video series on King's Road: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5rIvqco0YWrJ5Q02m3csJ7kjB0f_IcEV It's pretty nice (although I kind of cringed when he enunciated a Japanese accent for Stan Hansen's Lariat(o)).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

Yoshitatsu is out of today's show because of a back injury so Ishikawa gets 2 points.

Also of note, Baliyan Akki from Gatoh Move has replaced Seigo Tachibana in the opening tag

Yoshitatsu seems to be really unlucky with those injuries, eh?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://puroprogramtranslations.blogspot.com/2020/09/noah-post-match-interviews-n-1-victory.html

quote:

KAITO KIYOMIYA

KIYOMIYA (about Masaaki Mochizuki): I want to do it again! That's all.

MASAAKI MOCHIZUKI

MOCHIZUKI: Just a minute, I'm 50 years old, let me sit down. Well, I know how Kaito Kiyomiya has achieved results while young, but I don't think I was scared to face Kiyomiya in a single. Today I was full of confidence, there was no plan, and it became a shoot down simulation in 22 minutes. The one on one singles match meant I saw more than imagined in a big way. To be honest, I wondered if he couldn't step into the end because he didn't take the plunge in not a good attack (rough, doesn't translate well). Well, in terms of stamina, he's not the only one who is doing his best, but you can't beat your twenties. So, today is a plus 1, I am going to interpret it as getting 1 point today. Well, in 5 games, I can get 2 points, 3 points...3 points just barely. Maybe its 2 points, but I don't think it's possible to win all of this with this member, so for that first point I have attached a mark to Kiyomiya. I will do a lot of calculations, and aim for the top in my own way.
Q: You were very cautious about the Tiger Suplex?
MOCHIZUKI: Before coming out today I came from the dojo in Kobe, so I didn't let him throw the first one, but I think I could tell the Tiger Suplex from his stance, which is why I drove my heel into his knees. That was the secret plan. Taking another was dangerous, but I think everyone around me is wary, and I don't think that most people are going to be able to calculate to use the rope above their head*. I had the image of Kiyomiya's Tiger Suplex, and I was able to prevent it twice. His blow is heavy though, and is something I managed. When you see him in a magazine or from afar, he looks kind and delicate, but when have a singles with him, he looks big, that's for sure. So that's why I want to be happy that I got one point today, and I think that fighting for 30 minutes is a plus for fighting with stamina.#

*Mochi cleverly got a rope break by making sure his feet fell on the ropes when Kiyomiya went for a Tiger Suplex.
I love everything about this

Please recommend me Mochi matches, I've become a fan

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SG Bamboo posted:

If you've got a DDT Universe membership here is a match vs Kenoh from last years N-1, otherwise

vs Shingo from 2015
vs Kzy from 2018
Unfortunately his best match vs BxB Hulk is only on rutube and I don't have an account, so here's a fun little match between the two from a few years ago

And here's a 1995 match vs perpetual old man Shinjiro Ohtani who, despite looking 20 years older, is actually 2 years Mocchy's junior

I just watched the match with Otani and holy poo poo it's good. Mochi looking like Ryu there

Will check the N-1 match, I have a Wrestle Universe sub

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I enjoyed the NOAH Junior Battle Royale, but it was kind of hilarious for Ogawa to nope the hell out after slugging it with Harada

EDIT to avoid double-posting:

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1312689319048511488

I know that the two ones referred to are Marufuji and Sugiura, who are old guard, but what "mistake" was Hisame referring to here?

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 5, 2020

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

Suzuki defended his title in a decent match and Harada & Kotoge came out & I think Harada is the next GHC Jr challenger.

I love how Suzuki is fighting the entire junior heavyweight division, a real fighting champion

Everyone just taking their turns in that queue

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 11, 2020

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I feel like Kongoh is too overcrowded? Interesting turn though

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1324362807429812225?s=09

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Wrestle Princess accessible to someone who hasn't seen a lick of TJPW?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dVBJmHRJPE
Masa showing up in ChocoPro as well

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Oh man AJPW's tag tournament is called World's Strongest Tag League? Not that familiar with the names but the card looks interesting

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Tell me more about Masakatsu Funaki. He wrestled across different promotions, co-founded Pancrase, can strike and grapple phenomenally well. I really enjoyed him in that GHC Tag Team Championship match. Any classic matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

Generally as a rule keeping Saku to under 15 minutes is smart as I'm not sure he has the greatest cardio, but that could just be my bias against chain smokers.

Oh I didn't know he's a chain smoker...

I only caught the M's Alliance/Kaito & Inamura & Friends tag and the GHC Heavyweight title match, but both were amazing.