Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Since I don't know how much exposure this would get here outside of the Dragongate thread, over the past week their Youtube page has put up all 8 of the championship matches from last year's Kobe World 2021 with English commentary:

Night 1 - July 31, 2021
Triangle Gate: <Masquerade> Jason Lee & Dragon Dia & La Estrella vs. <R.E.D> Diamante & Dia Inferno & SB KENTo
Brave Gate: Keisuke Okuda vs. Genki Horiguchi
Twin Gate: <R.E.D> Kaito Ishida & KAZMA Sakamoto vs. <Natural Vibes> Susumu Yokosuka & KING Shimizu
Dream Gate: Shun Skywalker vs. Kzy

Night 2 - August 1, 2021 (spoilers from Night 1 in the links' graphics)
Brave Gate: (Night 1 winner) vs. Kagetora
Triangle Gate: (Night 1 winner) vs. <Aagan Iisou> Shuji Kondo & Toru Owashi & "brother" YASSHI
Twin Gate: (Night 1 winner) vs. <HIGH-END> Dragon Kid & Ben-K
Dream Gate: (Night 1 winner) vs YAMATO

A LOT has changed in DG since last year, especially around January/February, but if you haven't been exposed to much of their stuff and want to check out what they're all about... it's free real estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/setupth/status/1557716916977815553

I'm aware of very little Southeast Asian wrestling and I have no idea how to watch SETUP Thailand, but pretty cool anyway.

Ho Ho Lun is also going to be on that card, if I heard correctly.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Stall_19 posted:

DragonGate fans seem quite insular. They watch Dragongate and don't interact with the wider wrestling community. I imagine DDT fans are the same.
It's kind of wild that GLEAT is on there and DG isn't though because they're about the same niche. All the US excursions this fall should probably help that.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

El Lindaman and CIMA have been in NJPW during the voting period
Yeah, I guess the DG guys showing up in NOAH/DDT/AJPW this year was more of a lateral move.

They have a working relationship with MLW but, y'know, lol

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
GLEAT's belt names seem so random. Glad to see Flamita land back in a Dragon System fed, that was arguably the peak of his career and they'll probably kick his rear end into shape again.

I wish I had time to catch all the block tournaments happening at once, but there just isn't time. I've watched about half of G1 so far but I know there's at least 3-4 others happening too. Any recommendations for essential nights, and what's skippable?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

GLEAT will be running the first pro wrestling event in whatever Gorilla Hall, Osaka is.

It's a less weird venue name than Kobe Chicken George, at least.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Ah, drat, I couldn't catch that GLEAT show live. Hopefully I'll have time later.

IceAgeComing posted:

Dragon Gate has seen a lot of departures/retirements and even looking through the bullshit reporting from various people it’s clear that there’s been a change in leadership and that can change wider culture within a place.
It's weird, because it's not a regime change or anything, at least not on the level of the OWE split. From what I've heard it's more about people who either had buddies they could get ideas to - or people preventing them from doing so - who are now retiring, so the flow of creative ideas comes from/through other people without there necessarily being anything different in the structure. That's probably why Ultimo's been getting more of his friends booked lately. But Genki Horiguchi is still booking, while Ultimo is a creative consultant and comes up with character ideas and stuff like that. But I guess with Yoshino gone from office now, Ryo Saito might become more than just an onscreen booker.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Horiguchi is a voice but Horiguchi as THE booker has been a false concept dating back to when he was the voice with the best English who could relay finishes to foreigners. Dave Meltzer ran with that when he asked the foreigners who just assumed that since he was telling them that he was the boss, and the promotion never has had a single sole booker.

Yeah, I'll defer to you on that info since I get the majority of my DG news from you anyway :v:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Crossposting for anyone who wants to check out my DG content:

quote:

I have completed my short documentary series about Masquerade, which I worked on all summer and added more content to as the story kept going. Feel free to show this to anyone who needs more exposure to Dragongate.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHX36rkFHZQve0KSQQD5SQpgNvvgSD7hW

edit: GAORA gave me a copyright takedown, but you can just click through to the links in the placeholder video to see it in other places.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 30, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I don't remember what his alignments were like in All Japan off the top of my head, but some of his better matches that I remember:
-vs Shuji Kondo for the Jr. Heavyweight title in 2011
-his matches in the 2013 Champion Carnival tournament
-the one forkboy mentioned, vs Kento Miyahara for the Triple Crown in 2019

As a face in DG, definitely check out the 3-way Twin Gate elimination match at Kobe World 2019: KAI/YAMATO (Tribe Vanguard) vs Doi/Ishida (MaxiMuM) vs Eita/Shimizu (R.E.D)

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Jerusalem posted:

90s Honda looks like the leading man in a British 70s sitcom.

He looks like a Michael Ian Black character.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/MrMidSouth1984/status/1569659082805596173?t=0855oClRVeKFIcsHKCfb4A&s=19

GLEAT have decided they aren't burning through Lidet's cash reserves fast enough so are launching an MMA brand?

I'm curious whether this is just going to be UWF matches on full separate cards so they can separate it from G.PROWRESTLING, or if they're actually doing real MMA in addition to worked MMA and worked wrestling.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Yeah, I don't know how you could possibly see Shun's trajectory in the past year and still rank him significantly lower than 2021.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I have cancelled my New Japan World subscription. The G1 didn't excite me and nothing about current New Japan is interesting. The endless six man tags between factions and non-stop Bullet Club drama has been tedious. I have enjoyed JONAH though, I love him so much.

I want to try something else. I'm vaguely familiar with NOAH, having watched a couple of matches over 2020/2021. Kenoh, Kaito Kiyomiya and Go Shiozaki were my favourites, as well as Nakajima kicking guys. The Great Muta winning the GHC really put me off watching much else though.

I'm even less familiar with All Japan but I've been watching some of their free content on YouTube and it looks interesting. I think Kento is a fantastic wrestler, the little I've seen of him. I don't know anything about Dragon Gate or DDT or any women's promotions. I didn't like Suwama as the champion though, whenever that was (2020)?

What would the thread recommend? I'm willing to subscribe to something new for a couple of months to see how it goes. My favourite wrestlers are big fat guys who do sentons and lariats.
Based on your details I'd say give GLEAT a try if you haven't. They have a great mix of styles, especially with the pseudo-MMA stuff, and their top heel stable is centered around a bunch of big dudes strongmanning everyone. It can be a bit hard to follow because they rarely have commentary, and translations can be sporadic (only the major shows have translated captions), but if you don't care about that it's a good variety and they get a ton of guests from other promotions. Best of all they're free to watch.

I was going to recommend Stardom until reading your last bit, but they do also have some powerhouse wrestlers; I enjoy Saya Iida a lot, she's only 4'9" but she absolutely trucks people. NOAH is still a lot of old guys on top, but that's starting to shift nowadays. Dragongate is mostly young fast boys doing lucha, but they do have some absolute brick shithouse dudes like Shuji Kondo (if you like lariats, he's your guy), though he's also in NOAH and a few other places.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Open The Voice Gate. Very good on DG coverage, very irksome when talking about my beautiful boy All Japan.
Goons fighting goons, you hate to see it.

OtVG is hosted by NotQuiteQuentin (though his co-host is in his 20s so everyone probably looks old to him)

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Wanted to share the news that Masato Yoshino has signed with GLEAT as their new G-Pro commissioner but accidently copied CIMA's reaction so you get that instead
They drat well better get the rights to his theme.

https://youtu.be/Ee-pUdr6UE0

SPEEEEEEEED STAAAAAAAR
IT'S LIGHTNING IN THE JUNGLLLLE

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Crossposting: I made a 10 minute Dragongate primer video for those who are interested but don't know how to get into it.

Mostly still frames this time so I don't have to deal with another GAORA takedown.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
So much for "exclusive freelancer", though to be fair, his one consistent trait is betrayal.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Dimebags Brain posted:

He can dedicate his time to his true passion of booking Dragongate.

I knew this post was coming and it still made me :lol:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I got all caught up on GLEAT this weekend, and drat, Kaito Ishida looked fantastic.

I have to think they're priming him to be the guy who finally takes the belt off of Lindaman. I'd even bet that was their offer to get him to jump. Can't wait for Kickboy to get that top guy attention.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
As much as I'm not a fan of their shtick of just shoving a dude's face in another dude's rear end, I will admit Pheromones got a laugh out of me recently in a clip I watched. They had knocked someone down on the entrance stage, then disappeared through the curtains nearby. A few seconds later they came back out wheeling a dolly cart from backstage with one of them riding rear end-first toward the guy on the stage who had just sat up in horror.

So maybe the key to making their gimmick work is adding extra convoluted steps to their rear end-based offense.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

GLEAT G Prowrestling Ver.36
Umeda Sky Building Stellar Hall, Osaka
Keiichi Sato & Oji Shiiba vs Shigehiro Irie & Soma Watanabe
Jun Tonsho vs T-Hawk
UWF Rules: Minoru Tanaka & Yu Iizuka vs Seichi Ikemoto & Takanori Ito
UWF Rules: Maya Fukuda vs Mika Iwata
Quiet Storm vs Tetsuya Izuchi
CIMA, Kaz Hayashi & Michiko Miyagi vs BULK Orchestra (Check Shimatani & Ryuichi Kawakami) & Kyoko Inoue
Kaito Ishida & Ryuichi Kawakami vs Stronghearts (El Lindaman & Issei Onitsuka)
This was taped the other night (so avoid Cagematch spoilers), premiering here tonight/morning.

Takanori Ito had a positive antigen test, so he's out of the UWF tag and replaced with Tetsuya Izuchi pulling double-duty. He tweeted that he's feeling OK so it doesn't seem serious.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Check Shimatani proves that you can be smol and still be BULK.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm curious about KAZMA's status. He hasn't been on the last couple GLEAT cards, and they pretty much hotshotted the tag belts off of him with that BULK vs BULK angle. I know he's been a freelancer for a long time, but he's showing up more in 2AW lately so I wonder if he's moving on.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Konomama Ichikawa vs X
I'm so glad they remembered to continue the X series. The match this summer was hilarious. I never thought I'd see Keiji Muto have to sell a Kancho.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The numbering is a little weird because they've done two full Bosou 10 Match Series (one in Toryumon in 2000-2002, and one in pre-split Dragon Gate 2007-2009), but they've also had a few non-numbered spinoffs against Masashi Aoyagi in 2011, Atsushi Onita in 2012, and Yoshiaki Fujiwara in 2013.

The one with Muto at Kobe World this year started a new 10x series, so this NOAHxDG show will have Match #2 in the 3rd numbered 10x series.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/rizin_English/status/1589126409502724096
Keisuke Okuda just got his rear end absolutely trounced in the first round of his RIZIN match, in case anyone wondered how his post-wrestling MMA career was going.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I think I'm going to do the Wrestle Universe free trial for the NOAHxDG show. I'd subscribe regularly but I don't have the extra time to keep up with all the content to really make it worth it, in addition to everything else I watch. How's the cancellation process? Is it just an off switch, or do I have to jump through hoops? And does it cancel as soon as I end it, or do I get the full period I sign up for?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Anyone watching Global Dream live?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
:lol: Kenoh is smitten with Minoura, he can't stop talking about how cute he is. :3:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
:lol: Ahroomee has been somewhere in the background at every single show I've seen over the past week.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I saw the show for the interim G-Infinity, but I must have missed why they were held up in the first place.

It'd be hilarious if they ended up on the 3rd Bulk Orchestra team.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I can't stress enough how on-brand it is that Naruki Doi won the DDT 6-man belts with his buddy Owashi immediately after quitting the unit he created and stepping back to work a lighter freelancer schedule due to his neck problems.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
GLEAT 39 was kind of a weird show. Ishida's new unit is interesting, but Hartley Jackson is certainly a choice. YUTANI debuted in Mexico and was trained by Bandido & Fenix. I first saw him in Big Lucha a few months ago, and he's been tagging with Flamita.

The nostalgia matches were OK but I don't really need to see a pushing-70 Tatsumi Fujinami win a match at this point. And then the combined ages in the 6-man tag added up to 316. :psyduck:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Also shows from [...] Ryukyu Dragon Pro

FWIW, this is the barely-promoted 2nd DRAGONxDRAGON show taking place a few hours after the matinee DG show on the same day. It's mostly the same people as the other two Okinawa cards, but it's headlined by a Kzy/U-T vs Gurukun Mask/K-JAX match for the RDPW tag titles that might be interesting.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Raeg posted:

No, this is correct, it's in a restaurant with every high flyer's enemy: a very large chandelier

:rubby: RDPW's Shuri Joe straight up hit his head on it during his entrance and it was very unsubtly swinging back and forth for several minutes. Amazing.

Either Okinawa didn't have any large gymnasiums available, or Gurukun Mask was doing a favor for the restaurant owner.

I kept hoping for it to explode like the Moneyball in the Stardom ladder match.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
That's where the last one was, yeah.

RDPW is small as hell though, they're pretty much only on the map because Ultimo is buds with Gurukun.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Dimebags Brain posted:

I would post this in the Dragongate thread, but I assume everyone reading that already has the DG Network, but this month's Korakuen shown featuring the Dream Gate match between Yuki Yoshioka and Masaaki Mochizuki, will be free.
Yeah, I was going to post that here too.

If you haven't seen Big Match Yuki yet, they're positioning him as the new young ace, and Mocchy's still the GOAT, so it'll be worth watching that match alone even if you don't check out anything else.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
GLEAT GPro 40 is ongoing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxu1gw-wnho

No captions for the show but based on context I *think* Ishida's unit is just an extension of Black Generation from Mexico, and that Kaz finally joined StrongHearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Dragongate in Sapporo before coming to Tokyo for the penultimate Korakuen Hall show of the year (& this one is FREE TO WATCH and features a Dream Gate Title match, so if you aren't watching DG then this is a great show to check in on (there's also the official debut of Yoshiki Kato, who in his last exhibition outing actually beat veteran Punch Tominaga, which suggest another DG talent to be excited for),
Most of my DG Youtube content is geared toward onboarding new fans, so if you folks want to get in on this, I have a whole playlist of primer stuff, with more being released in the next few days leading up to this show. The only ep that won't be released until after the Korakuen show is the one about DG Future rookies, because I won't have Kato's official profile picture until after he debuts. End of year DG is always a good time.