Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Just like to thank SG Bamboo for doing this. My computer is back up & running but it's nice not having to rush to get it done tonight and can instead focus on trying to find the right deity to pray to in order to magically make my broken hard drive work again long enough for me to backup all of the music I had on it.

I recommend R-Studio. I've gotten files from a few broken drives using that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/dragongate_pro/status/1713488278526259253

DG Future class of 2024 young boys announced. Akihiro Sahara (23) is a big boi, Homare Kato (19) will probably have to get a name change quickly (or Yoshiki Kato gets a character), and Dai Tsujiguchi (20) has managed to have an even less catchy name than Daiki Yanagiuchi.

It'd be nice to see all 3 get debuts. Though with Daiki's debut pushed to this year, Ryoya in the summer, and Nishikawa/TNR coming back from Mexico recently, it doesn't feel like 2023 was starved for debuts even with Ryoya being the only 2023 trainee to make it. If anything it'll probably just mean more pre-show Future matches on the network.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Dragongate is sending Mochizuki Jr. and Yoshiki Kato to New Japan for their 11/4 Osaka show. I assume they'll be fighting juniors, but Kato's a pretty big dude.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
:lmao: I'm not going to transliterate the whole thing, but the actual text is hilarious if you can read katakana.

quote:

Yuua byuutifuu ron ininsai
Yuua iinosensu paasonafaai
andau udoraaggyudaan anseeyuaa
raannaweei

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
What makes this Ron Ininsai fellow so beautiful?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Punch has also been YAMATO's lackey on and off this past year, especially whenever they show up in other promotions or special shows with YAMATO's old character who never sleeps.

Full card for Gate of Destiny on 11/5 just released:
1) Minoura/Ben-K/BxB Hulk vs Genki/Kagetora/Mondai
2) Brave Gate: ISHINİ vs Ryoya Tanaka
3) Mocchy/Junior/Kato vs Shun/KAI/HYO
4) Kzy/SMJ/Jason/U-T/Jacky vs Ultimo/Mante/Doi/Kondo/Eita
5) Triangle Gate: YAMATO/DK/Punchİ vs Fujii/Yoshida/Bodyguard
6) Twin Gate: Susumu/Kandaİ vs Yoshioka/Dia
7) Dream Gate: Madoka Kikutaİ vs Big Boss Shimizu

I really hope they finally put the belt on Shimizu. Man's earned his stripes.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I admittedly have a big soft spot for Yoshida, and I'm still mad that he never got to join Gold Class. After they became the handsome weirdo unit and Doi left to go freelance, they should've let Yoshida back in.

Fastball Specials with Minorita all day.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIfY5Mjzakc

DG's Youtube house shows don't usually add much to feuds and just show the matches, but the way they built up the Kikuta vs Shimizu feud here was great. The fight even goes outside the building, which is a perspective we rarely get.

The other two matches are worth your time too. Timestamps in the description if you don't want to watch the long intro.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I guess my take is that Kenoh is still in his 30s so he's not quite in the "NOAH only pushes olds" category just yet, and both of his GHC runs have been under 3 months so it's not like he's dominating the main event scene either. A long, solid run at the top would be a great happy medium to anchor the rest of the company while they transition into building new stars under him.

Also Kenoh rules and I love the very angry babyman.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Lamuella posted:

I just wish I had faith in Noah not to gently caress it up. I'm lukewarm on Jake Lee, who is like the concept of "Okay" in human form and who has had a series of solid 8/10 matches against the best wrestlers in the world. I'd prefer Kenoh as champ because I prefer Kenoh as a wrestler, but I can't escape the feeling that at any moment after he wins I need to be ready for Fujita to come out with a bag of tallboys and declare himself number one contender.

Make it Fujita but it's Jr. Hayato instead.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Kato joining Z-Brats and Tanaka probably joining D'courage is exactly the kind of unit shakeup stuff I've been wanting from DG. Gate of Destiny has been really solid so far.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Good god, Kikuta and Shimizu are slinging some BEEF tonight.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Dimebags Brain posted:

Kikuta/Shimizu was a must watch. Amazing display of big guys hitting each other hard.

I love the fact that for as much as DG's reputation to most people is that it's all young fast twinks, they can still completely sell a BIG MEATY MEN main event once in a while.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Didn't see it until now, but GAORA recently put up an HD quality version of Bryan Danielson vs Naruki Doi from 2009 DGUSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZCOuCu5EgY&t=276s

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Dragongate Korakuen card tonight:

1) Single: Punch Tominaga vs Daiki Yanagiuchi
2) Tag: Shimizu & U-T vs Genki & Yoshida
3) Trios: Susumu/Kanda/Arai vs Ultimo/Fujii/Kagetora
4) 8-Man: YAMATO/DK/Kondo/Eita vs Minoura/Ben-K/BxB/Doi
5) Single: Masaaki Mochizuki vs Yoshiki Kato
6) 8-Man: Kikuta/Yoshioka/Dia/Tanaka vs Kzy/SMJ/Jason/Jacky
7) 4v1 Handicap: Luis Mante vs Shun/KAI/HYO/ISHIN

Lots of interesting potential here:
-Possibly Daiki's first singles win since they're actually doing stuff with rookies.
-AraKen appearance in the veteran tag should be fun.
-Doi in a Gold Class match that doesn't involve the Triangle Gate.
-Kato officially in Z-Brats.
-Tanaka probably officially in D'courage.
-I assume there's no way the main stays 4v1, so look for a new Mante-led unit to form here. But that means it's either outsiders or some people are pulling double duty, because I can't imagine it's going to be like, Ho Ho and Problem Dragon. Nearly the entire roster is on the card.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Mocchy and Kato are throwing some BOMBS tonight. Really stiff match.

Tanaka's a perfect fit for DC so far. Holy poo poo you need to watch that D'courage/Vibes 8-man.

BABYFACE HYO!!!

Goddamn that whole show kicked rear end. DG is back.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 9, 2023

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I posted about this in the MOTYCs thread but if you find yourself missing classic DG multiman sprints, D'courage vs Natural Vibes 8-man from last week's Korakuen is one of the best they've had in a long time.

https://vk.com/video-4499945_456251904?t=2h1m5s

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1724543704424501395

LFG

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I had complaints about the huge lull in Dragongate's November schedule because they had Gate of Destiny on the 5th and the hottest Korakuen in months on the 9th and then just... nothing (except a Genki homecoming house show last night), but it turns out they're spoiling us Network subscribers for December:

12/1, 12/2, 12/3 - triple show in Sapporo
12/5 - Korakuen
12/10 - KBS Hall
12/19 - another Korakuen
12/24 - Final Gate
12/26 - Kobe Sanbo Hall

And then January has another double Korakuen AND the new pape at Yokohama Budokan, so we won't get a big gap before spring this year.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I will be so mad if we lose Korakuen, but it'd probably be a while before they did it so I could at least feasibly plan a Japan trip.

forkboy84 posted:

Dragongate Final Gate 2023
Fukuoka International Centre, Fukuoka
Daiki Yanagiuchi, Kaito Nagano & Ryoya Tanaka vs Natural Vibes (Jacky Funky Kamei, Jason lee & U-T)
Open The Brave Gate Title: Hyo(c) vs Genki Horiguchi
Don Fujii, Kagetora & Ultimo Dragon vs M3K (Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda)
Christmas Special 8 Man Tag, Teams Decided 23/12: Featuring Ben-K*, BIG BOSS Shimizu, BxB Hulk, Kota Minoura*, Kzy, Naruki Doi, Shuji Kondo & Strong Machine J
*Can't find a more recent match that updates this match but I doubt Ben & Kota are working double duty
Open The Triangle Gate Titles: Dragon Kid, Punch Tominaga & YAMATO(c) vs Z-Brats (ISHIN, KAI & Yoshiki Kato)
Open The Twin Gate Titles: Alejandro & Kaito Kiyomiya vs Gold Class (Ben-K & Kota Minoura)
Open The Dream Gate Title: Madoka Kikuta(c) vs Luis Mante vs Shun Skywalker
The updated card has Ultimo & Dia both in the 8-man. I really hope they do Doi Darts to determine the teams.

Ultimo Dragon is being replaced in the 6-man by Problem Dragon lmao

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Daiki is also out due to illness, so Shachi will be replacing him.

Flu's going around. On the upside, Hyo is feeling better.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Final Gate starts in 3 hours. The lottery drawing was held for the 8-man (no Doi Darts, sadly), and Natural Vibes all randomly ended up on the same team lol

Kzy, Shimizu, Strong Machine J, and Naruki Doi vs Ultimo Dragon, BxB Hulk, Dragon Dia, and Shuji Kondo

Please do the Vibes dance Doi

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Genki Horiguchi just hit the Beach Break for the first time in years. :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/KVR216/status/1738841362517168283

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/SondreBjorn/status/1738845621367222461
Naruki Doi learning the Natural Vibes dance is a Christmas present to me specifically.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Holy poo poo Kaito Kiyomiya and Alejandro just won the Open the Twin Gate belts

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
That's a WAY more stacked Royal Sambo than usual. Instead we're getting... Mondai vs Yoshida singles lmao

Hyped for YamaDoi vs DK/Eita, that's gonna rule. YamaDoi-led unit WHEN though :cry:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

In which Kevin Kelly makes a big dumb sweeping assumption and gets schooled by a far better commentator.

All shows that have major plot/unit developments have a separate English feed. The rest are basically glorified house shows that have the wrestlers goofing off on commentary just to give them something to do.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

It's...less bad? Events stay up for longer than they used to which is great, service still costs more than AJPW TV, NJPW World, Wrestle Universe or Stardom World (1,650 Yen a month). A bunch of non-Korakuen house shows in places like Kobe, Kyoto & Osaka plus some others are 1 or 2 camera shoots with the only commentary being wrestlers, but that doesn't really bother me, not like I can understand Japanese anyway.
With the Yen down, the higher cost has gotten more manageable. But one thing Jae mentioned on OTVG a while back is that the coders for the Network website are grandfathered in by Gaora, so the quality of it is more or less capped at whatever their skill level is. But it's definitely gotten easier to navigate over the past year or so.

quote:

It's still hard to recommend to someone who is DG curious rather than already into the style or having at least some familiarity because of the cost, but hey, they have to at least break even & unlike NJPW, Stardom & NOAH/DDT/TJPW Dragongate don't have a big company behind them who can to some extent other subsidise the cost or just find savings through economics of scale.
RE: the style, I usually tell people who like Stardom that they'd probably like Dragongate too. Stardom takes a ton of influence from them, and a bunch of their roster are long-time Dragon Kid stans (SLK in particular). It's a similar blend of fast young people mixed with strikers and mat wrestlers, and they have the same roster structure, with one evolving heel stable and a bunch of face/tweener stables. Lately the only ones who aren't in units are veterans or rookies.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

To try & make my best attempt at translating that, because it's either that or sleep before 3am. And trying to match the symbol is kind of fun problem solving.
I did the same thing this morning - my hiragana/katakana is pretty good, but my kanji reading sucks. Not surprised at DG, but I didn't realize Big Japan ran that many shows.

16-20 are PURE-J, Sportiva, KOBE Meriken, Diana, and Ryukyu Dragon.

I'm not at all familiar with Sportiva but they run out of Nagoya, Ryukyu Dragon is like the only wrestling in Okinawa so they get decent numbers, and MeriPro isn't surprising because even though it's only like a 10 seat venue, they run every Friday night.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Dragongate have 4 shows that are being streamed, including a main event of Masaaki Mochizuki vs Shingo Takagi, a rematch of one of the best singles matches in Dragon System history from the 2015 Gate of Destiny show.
Great month on DGN overall. They just ran KBS Hall and Osaka Edion in the past two nights, there's a double Korakuen show coming up so I expect some unit shuffling and/or plot development, then two nights at Kobe Sambo Hall, and the new Gate of Bayside pape at Yokohama Budokan at the end of the month.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Holy poo poo, go out of your way to see Shingo vs Mochizuki. That ruled.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
M3K is breaking up in February :cry:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Lily Catts posted:

lmao Shun tagging with non-Z-Brats and especially with Minoura...
That's happening all Mania weekend and it's kind of hilarious. I guess he can pretend Masquerade is together a little, as a treat.

I'd like to make that show, but it conflicts with tickets I already have. I'm seeing them at Defy and JCW on the same day at least, but I'll unfortunately miss the CMLL guys unless they show up on other cards too (which honestly is pretty likely at this point). It's crazy how much DG guys are getting booked though, most of them are doing 2-3 matches every day for the whole weekend.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Dimebags Brain posted:

Jae was on Open the Voice Gate awhile back and he was spitballing ideas to raise Dragongate's profile in the west and the big one he landed on was sending DG guys around to the Mania weekend shows to try and recreate the buzz of the ROH Do Fixer/Blood Gen match and I guess some people in the company had the same idea. Picked a group of guys and booked as much poo poo as they possibly could for Philly.

Yeah, Joey Janela is promoting a trios match on his Spring Break show as the spiritual successor to the famous ROH one. They're even acknowledging the generations, which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Ho Ho Lun also books everyone internationally on these shows, so whatever DG is paying the English commentary team, it's not enough.