Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The last one of these that I saw months and months ago was awesome, so I'll be reading this one. I have barely seen any wrestling the past year much less any Japanese wrestling but I feel like watching wrestling again so hopefully that will change in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Russ posted:

Oh no, A-Train has turned into MMA fighter Kimo.

I saw that picture on Puroresu Fan and I didn't even know it was Albert. I personally thought it was some sort of weird picture of Tito Ortiz.

I watched Brock vs. Nakamura last night also and I thought the match was lame-o. Brock was so sloppy and he didn't even let Nakamura hit poo poo on him. Plus the promos he cut were horrible too.

I watched a lot of Japanese wrestling back in around 2001-2003, so I know who a lot of guys are that were popular around then and before (because I had tapes of mid-90s stuff). That said, the only match I'm really interested in seeing off the New Japan 1/4 Dome show is Koji Kanemoto vs. Shinjiro Ohtani. I guess I also want to see the Liger/Jado/Gedo tag match even though Tanaka is the only guy on the other team I recognize. Of the other matches on the card, are there any other ones that I should try to get if they get posted that should be good even though I don't know who the guys are?

Recently I've watched some stuff from 2005 including some wrestlers I'd never got to see before:

20050115 - Naomichi Marufuji & Takeshi Rikio vs. KENTA & Kenta Kobashi - NOAH
20050422 - Masato Tanaka & Super Crazy vs. Minoru Fujita & Ikuto Hidaka - Zero-One
20050617 - Minoru Fujita vs. Ikuto Hidaka - Zero-One
20051123 - Ikuto Hidaka & Minoru Fujita vs. Shinjiro Ohtani & Masato Tanaka
20051204 - KENTA & Shibata vs. Misawa & Go Shiosaki

KENTA is pretty much awesome, I agree with all the KENTA love lately. A few years back I got to see Hidaka vs. Fujita from Battlarts in 1998 and I knew that Hidaka was the poo poo and I'd tell my friends that this was true. I'm glad to see that he's finally getting popular these days, proving what I've said all along. I was also seeing Masato Tanaka for the first time :( and he's really awesome. Probably my favorite match of that bunch was Marufuji/Rikio vs. KENTA/Kobashi. I liked it best because of the powerbomb/Shiranui combination Rikio/Marufuji did.

So yeah, looks like I'm actually getting back into wrestling a bit now, so give me recommendations and whatnot. I'm still trying to get my hands on Hidaka/Fujita vs. KENTA/Marufuji, and I really want to see that one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just watched BxB Hulk vs. Takagi. The first half of the match was just kind of there but the second half of the match was totally awesome. If BxB Hulk used to suck you could have fooled me, because he was very good in that match. Takagi too.

I also watched the Florida Brothers match from that show but it was kinda lame. I mean the Florida Brothers were pretty entertaining and I could tell it was a comedy match but I didn't like it that much. I suspect it was because Vangelis seemed quite stupid.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

The Rokstar posted:

Someone please tell me there's a shot of this somewhere

http://www.youtube.com/?v=y-O71OJl46Q

:love: Youtube, all the good poo poo always ends up on there.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just watched KENTA vs. Marufuji and Akiyama vs. Taue from the 1/22/06 NOAH Budokan show, here are my thoughts:

KENTA vs. Marufuji - Pretty drat great match. There were a couple sloppy spots but once they started to get into the "serious" phase of the match it kicked into overdrive. So many awesome nagareshiki (top rope "avalance-style") moves. Afterwards I read about some of the history leading up to the match and it made it that much better. Probably around ****1/4. Highly recommended.

You can get it from here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/08qkew

Taue vs. Akiyama - Decent match, considering Taue is a slow fat old man that shouldn't really be wrestling anymore. Some good sequences but it had quite a slow pace in a lot of parts. Also, I didn't really care for the finish that much, but it wasn't that big a deal. Maybe a *** match.

You can get it here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/eia3wq

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 23, 2006

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
As a companion, here's the anime PRIDE FC intro, which I think is pretty k-rad:
http://www.youtube.com/?v=NeNvoFMNWvw

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just watched KENSKEE Office vs. Kobashi and Shiosaki from 11/05/05 and it's definitely the 2005 Match of the Year. Would there happen to be any spectacular wrestling photographs from that match outside of the ones on Sportsnavi? I'm specifically looking for one of Nakajima's tremendous German Suplex.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In April I've decided my goal is to basically watch the history of All Japan Pro Wrestling, mainly because of Ditch's site. So far I've watched all the stuff I've gotten from the 1969 Baba/Destroyer match to the 3/9/89 meeting of Jumbo Tsuruta and Tiger Mask II. That's not to say I only have things on Ditch's site, because I had been collecting almost every other All Japan thing I could get my hands on throughout March.

One of the best sets of matches I watched was the following three:
19811130 - Terry Funk vs. Bruiser Brody
19811213 - Funk Jr. & Funk vs. Brody & Snuka
19820422 - Funk Jr. & Funk vs. Brody & Snuka

I tell you what, if you haven't seen the 12/13/81 match listed there then you are missing out on some loving amazing wrestling. The the Funk/Brody match sets up the legendary tag bout from '81 and then the '82 match is the follow up that's not as good but still has a really neat ending and is worth watching. The 1981 match, though, is really where it's loving at when it comes to wrestling.

I almost don't care about anything else in wrestling right now simply because the stuff I've seen is so good. And I haven't even gotten to the really good stuff yet. Other non-Ditch-site stuff I've watched so far includes Tiger Mask Misawa vs. Ted DiBiase from '87 and Harley Race vs. Ric Flair from 5/22/84 (in All Japan, of course). I also Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Terry Gordy from 6/4/85, which wasn't great, mostly because it wasn't the other Jumbo/Gordy match I read about from late '85 in which Jumbo juices like crazy and the match ends at when Michael Hayes runs in wearing a Santa outfit. That's the one I really want to see.

Also, I watched Baba & Tsuruta vs. Tenryu & Hara from the same 11/30 show as Funk/Brody and Jumbo Tsuruta was wearing some kind of red, white, and blue tights and boots with white stars on the back. Is there some kind of story behind this?

In any case, I'm here to triple quadruple thank Ditch for hosting that awesome site and giving me the inspiration to see what I was really missing when it comes to pro wrestling.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

I've got a bunch of Dragon Gate shows but everything is in xvid and I don't know how well I'll be able to clip out matches and convert to .wmv :(

And sad to say I just can't get into the Brody stuff in All Japan. I don't like most brawls as it stands and that includes a LOT of matches considered great so don't let that get in anyone else's way of watching!

Well the 12/13/81 match was the debut of Stan Hansen in All Japan and it has a really awesome and famous angle.

The match I just watched was Hansen & Gordy vs. Tenryu & Kawada from 12/16/88 and that was an fantastic match too. Kawada was only 25 at this point and he didn't even have his trademark pants on. He was wearing some kind of Zubaz pants that were black on the back but had a black and white leopard print on the front. He was also extremely fast.

The match itself was really awesome, as I'm quickly learning how Stan Hansen is somebody I unfairly overlooked for too long, he's such a badass. Tenryu was also good and I don't like Gordy that much but I have nothing to complain about from him here. Recommended.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's the "start of the tour big tag leading to the singles match at the end of the tour" match for 12/2's epic confrontation, KENTA vs. Bryan Danielson:

20061117 - Bryan Danielson, Bison Smith, & Eddie Edwards vs. KENTA, Ricky Marvin, & Akitoshi Saito
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=20I9J04S

I'd never really seen any of the other guys before the match, I just wanted to watch KENTA and Danielson get it on, but Ricky Marvin is loving fantastic. I need to see more of him pronto. I also need to find the ROH KENTA vs. Danielson match from September that I didn't see because I didn't do much paying attention to wrestling for the middle part of the year.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Get it while it's loving hot:

20061202 - "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA
http://www.sendspace.com/file/e93nm1

I actually didn't care too much for the match they had in September, I don't know why, it just seemed a bit off.

This match, however, is far, far better. I really liked it and I recommend it highly. Not quite as much as I liked KENTA vs. Marufuji from October, but it's one of the best matches of the very few I've seen from the calendar year 2006.

Even if I hate the new way Danielson applies the Cattle Mutilation, it's almost like it's a really complicated resthold now.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

If KENTA vs AmDrag is indeed 'all that' I'll host a high-quality version of it :keke:

I don't know if everyone likes it as much as I did. We did agree on last year's match of the year, the Kobashi/Shiosaki vs. Sasaki/Nakajima match, but this year I think my match of the year this year is the October KENTAfuji match.

I'm definitely going to watch that Can-Ams vs. Malenko/Kobashi match later today, but first I want to watch Kawada vs. Sasaki from 2000. I read Dean's write-up on it you linked to, and I'm intrigued.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Okay, I just watched Furnas & Kroffat vs. Kobashi & Malenko. It was absolutely fantastic. Since I haven't really seen any of the Four Corners of Heaven tag matches yet (drat me wanting to watch all the crap Ditch posted in chronological order), I'd have to say that was one of the best tag matches I've ever seen, especially considering the time period it's from.

Most wrestlers today would be so much better if they had even 1/100 the creativity shown in that match. Young Kobashi really brought it, I wasn't expecting to be that good at such an early stage. I only barely remember Furnas & LaFon from their run in the WWF back when I was 12, so I was amazed at how good they were. Man, to think that almost nobody has probably even heard of that match.

Wikipedia says Joe Malenko is a registered pharmacist in Florida now. We need to send The Daryl Surat Documentary Crew down to wherever he lives and do a shoot interview with him or something.

I love how Kroffat busted out the Cattle Mutilation in the middle of that match and it was just another neat submission in that series, that was cool. There were tons of unique submissions in that match and the strikes were so clean and stiff and yet still felt kinda brawlish, in a good way.

I haven't had this much to say about a match in a long time, but then again it's been a while since I saw one that good.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

If you haven't seen Furnas & Kroffat vs Kobashi & Kikuchi from '92 yet, get ready to lose your poo poo. That one is exponentially better.

Good man for taking your time on the All Japan stuff. One of the rewards is that I only just posted the second Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue tag. Sadly I'm waiting on a few more matches before I post the 6/9/95 climax.

The problem is that it's going to take me forever. Back in like April/May I watched from 1969 to about May 1990, so I didn't even get to the original Misawa/Tsuruta match. Now it's been so long that I feel like starting over from the beginning, partially because I added a bunch of matches in that space I've already seen and also because I want to watch The Saga of The Funks vs. Brody/Hansen/Snuka again. But I also here that there's Baba vs. Hansen from 2/4/82 that I don't have to add to that part of All Japan history.

I have watched some random matches that I've just felt like watching from outside that period, such as most of the Vader matches you posted and some of the Hansen/DiBiase or British Bulldogs tag matches I've gotten.

Right now my Pre-Split All Japan folder is looking huge to the max thanks to you Ditch, and thanks to other various internets. I'm rocking a directory that's 172 files, 18.7 GB, running time of 75 hours, 10 minutes, and 39 seconds. This next week is my final exams for this semester of college though, so perhaps I'll just try to watch an hour a day when I'm at home for the next month. That should get me through about half of it. :)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just watched the main event of the first NOAH show. Was Misawa legit knocked out by that Front Neck Lock?

Either way it ended up being a match with a very exciting finish and good booking, at least after that Front Neck Lock. I wasn't quite able to follow why Kobashi and Akiyama were able to gently caress up Misawa so early in the match.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

It was selling. Absurd selling given the CPR.

That was really what was confusing me, I didn't know whether to laugh my rear end off or be concerned when the ref started doing chest compressions. I guess it's officially "laugh my rear end off" now. And it doesn't even need to be said, but drat Misawa is awesome for that.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

RheinholdMessner posted:

Ok so when Misawa took off the mask for the first time the crowd went nuts chanting "MISAWA". But why would they know who he is or make a big deal out of it? He never did anything without the mask, did he?

I'd like to know the answer to this myself.

Then again, didn't the rookie jobbers always work as ringside hands in addition to curtain jerking? They were always the ones that would get the Lariat from Hansen after the match when they'd try to break up post-match carnage or check on the loser of the match. Maybe people actually knew who they were a bit, in a "look at the cute rookie Misawa, maybe he'll be famous some day" way.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Raffles posted:

From Green Destiny:

Didn't even give him an chance. I understand a one last nostalgia run for Misawa, but now was not the right time.

Also Go didn't even last five minutes with Morishima. So much for proving himself.

And to top it all off SUWA's retiring. Today is a sad day indeed.

For real, that is one of the dumbest things I've seen in quite a while. When they signed that Misawa/Marufuji match, I thought it was a sign that Misawa was finally going to put one of those young lions over and finally start trying to build the next generation.

I guess the real attendance figure for the October Marufuji/KENTA main event really was as dire as The Meltz indicated, and Misawa decided that Marufuji wasn't ready to keep the belt or something.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Captain Charisma posted:

New Jr. Heavyweight Champ in NOAH

Marufuji vs. Shiosaki is the match I want to see most on that card. I guess I could probably stand to see Takaiwa win the belt too, I've always liked him.

"Ebesan Hansen" makes me hope he was doing a Western Lariat gimmick.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

RheinholdMessner posted:

Noah is on the fight network with MAURO~! (and guest) doing commentary. They have some UWF-i and other jazz as well. If you are in Canada you can get it free for November (if you're using Bell). I am a filthy shill.
And next week they're airing one of the best matches of 2005, Kobashi vs. Sasaki. Not as good as the Kobashi/Shiosaki vs. KENSKEE OFFICE~! Match of the Year, but still awesome and I hope I can find some way to hear the Mauro version of the match at some point. I think the week after that they're airing the last Misawa/Kawada match ever, but I have to assume that was one of the ones that took place in like 2005 or some poo poo and is probably not as good as you would expect when you hear "Misawa vs. Kawada."

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Alright, who has seen the Kobashi/Honda/Taniguchi vs. Marufuji/Sugiura/Morishima match from 2/21 and wants to comment on it? I hardly watch any wrestling these days but god drat if this wasn't one of the best matches I've seen in a long, long time. It's up on theditch.com, get it now if you haven't seen it because it's so great your eyeballs with do eyeball backflips.

EDIT: Duh it's Taniguchi not Taguchi.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 25, 2008

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
thecubsfan said on his blog that he'll probably cap the match and put it on Dailymotion, so I think we'll get to see it either way.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's the AAA match:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4kjbk_marafuji-chessman-charly-vs-abismo_sport

I'll edit in my thoughts on the match once I've seen it but man it's been a really long time since I've seen any AAA so I hope this doesn't suckity suck too bad. I think I've only seen like 2-3 matches since they've used the six-sided ring, and those matches involved minis.

EDIT: That was a decent match, nothing great but perhaps better than I was expecting. There was a big problem in the middle where the match broke down and since it was only one fall it took them forever to get it back together and that part had a glacial pace. Still, the "Morishima is a monster" part worked well and I guess the state of AAA today allowed this match to be contested in some sort of weird world where American, Mexican, and Japanese wrestling all came together in the space of a single match.

Main reason to watch this match: Morishima does a cartwheel elbow to the corner.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 2, 2008

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

I take it you haven't seen much Morishima over the last couple years...
You assume correctly, other than the most recent two ROH PPV matches and that awesome 6-man from two weeks ago I don't really know if I've seen any of his stuff in the past few years. :(

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Have they been part of booking the New Japan vs. ZERO-ONE feud? Because that feud rules and it's really the only Japanese pro wrestling thing I've seen any amount of lately.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, is that one with Mutoh and Funaki going to be posted at all?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

IVPvideos.com is running a Black Friday sale. 35% off orders under $100, 45% off orders over $100. And the starting price is $3. Thousands and thousands of puro shows and comps to choose from, plus a lil' bit of non-puro.

"All you have to do is put your items in the cart like normal. When you go to the checkout screen, all you have to do is put 35off or 45off in the coupon section. The discount will then automatically be taken out. The coupon section is on the same page you choose Paypal or Money Order as payment method"

I've bought from IVP many times.
Sweet, I just read Dave's review of the 8/21/92 RINGS show in an old Observer and I wanted to see if I could see it, and I had no idea where to look. This site has it. Thanks! What are their shipping prices like?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This isn't pro wrestling related, but does anyone know where I might find a reputable DVD trader that would have copies of Akira Maeda's amateur MMA promotion THE OUTSIDER? This is a great promotion with thugs, hoodlums, and wusses fighting, and it is so awesome.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

cortXbomb posted:

Just caught up on this thread a bit. I happened to have already posted the first 4 episodes of THE OUTSIDER over in the Japanese MMA thread

http://riotnerd.com/cortxbomb/

Thanks to forums user mischief for the hosting.
Yeah, I actually have those files already. Something about just having this particular thing on a DVD, though, I don't know why. There's no other "random video on the internet" that I've had that feeling about.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Ditch posted:

Andre versus...?

Andre vs ???, New Japan June 1st 1979
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C4MYERFO

It's supposed to be Andre vs Fujinami, but that changes and we get A Suitable Replacement. 1979 Andre is really awesome. I mean if you can even stand to watch Andre vs Hogan from WM3, you'll love this.
This ruled, everyone download it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Who Gotch Ya posted:

IGF is the best. I wish I could steadily find their shows.
Maybe this will help you find IGF things:

You can listen to clips of the audio here:
http://maplus-navi.jp/e115mpink

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I only had a few minutes so I watched the first 3 matches on the docket there.

vs. The Destroyer was hilarious and Hansen was blonde with a goatee. Destroyer rules so I loved this.

Second match is literally a jobber squash. I didn't know they actually had those in Japan.

Hansen vs. Baba is weird. Baba's arms are like twigs at this point and none of his offense looks believable on Hansen's monster body. Still an important historical match for Hansen, but not really good.

Excited to watch the rest of the tape.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Destroyer has a book out, has anyone read it? I have a huge book backlog but I'll get to it at some point. You can also pick up a bobblehead or sweatshirt while you're there: http://www.thedestroyer.com/shop/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Wow, that Cafepress store is still up? I bought that shirt from that exact store in 2001!

The Japanese writing says "Survive! Survival Tobita" Pronounced in Japanese the top "Survive" line is "Ikinokore!"

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Haha, nice.

I'm just using translate.google.com's "draw in Kanji" feature, it says 風に鼻孔 reads "kaze ni biko" which translates to "the nostrils in the wind" but somehow I don't think that's right.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Hey Ditch thanks for keeping the video sites alive all these years. I decided that now was the time I wanted to watch more of the AJPW stuff I never got around to and I was glad the old bookmarks were still there. Just getting to 91 tonight.

Also I've been taking a screencap from each match and adding it to this Twitter thread https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/775821408903520259

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
For everyone here but especially Ditch:

http://twitter.com/atomic_elbow/status/880074935510724612

http://twitter.com/atomic_elbow/status/881166465856139265

http://theatomicelbow.bigcartel.com/product/jumbo-fan-club-t-shirt

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I saw Robert tweeting at Yuji Tsuruta a few weeks ago so I actually think this legit has his blessing as well.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I missed the original message or I would have posted it here but the pre-orders are still open until tomorrow in case anyone wants to grab one:
http://jbroe.bigcartel.com/product/fan-flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I have been posting in this thread the whole time jesus