Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

MassRayPer posted:

I've wondered about this for awhile and have never really found an answer. What in the hell was the logic behind the electrified barbed wire match that was held.. in the rainforest? Both business wise and storyline wise I just have never been able to wrap my mind around that one. It would've made sense if it were an extreme attempt at avoiding run ins, but there were run ins... and then there's the question of why a company thinks a rain forest match is going to be a big fan favorite.

Oh my god that match was horrible :cry:

The audio sounded overdubbed or something or maybe it was just the environment screwing with the sound.

Maybe it's my memory being screwed up but I remember it being in a desert or some plains or something. I hope there weren't TWO Onita/Singh lovely deathmatches in nature settings.

I actually have this on tape :(

Edit: I blame the shittiness entirely on Singh 'cause Onita was always one of my favorites.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 13, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Captain Tagon posted:

"We velly solly for bollow block lesnal?" :v:

Hahaha, I want NJPW to steal Lashley and call him Block Reznor and have him and Brock feud endlessly.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
This may have been noted already by somebody somewhere here but I forget where. If it was, it deserves to be restated. Everybody should watch The Calamari Wrestler.

It's a movie about a dead wrestler who comes back in the form of a huge squid to fight for the IMGP title. I won't give away any other aspects of the main story 'cause it's full of hilarious developments.

It stars Osamu Nishimura as The Calamari Wrestler and features a guest appearance from Takayama, one of the greatest men to ever live. It references Inoki's fighting spirit, and a Fire Pro style renaming of Rikidozan (Godozan).

It has great quotes such as "But Calamari is banned from wrestling, how will he support me?"

The storyline will be hilarious to anybody who's a fan of Japanese Pro-Wrestling.

I got it for like 13 bucks from overstock.com

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

Does it have subtitles? If so :kittyjig:

Yes. The audio is Japanese with English subs.

dokomoy posted:

How good of a wrestler is Jack Evans? I've only seen a few of his matches, but as far as I can tell, he does awsome flips and nothing else. Can he strike or grapple or suplex or ??

According to Josh Barnett he knows more than he thinks he does about grappling.

Edit: Why is Hustle so elusive. Hardly any DVD sites sell them and they're never on the other thing or youtube. I just want to see more ridiculous comedy wrestling shows and I've only seen ONE. If anybody can tell me where I can see some Hustle, please let me know.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 23, 2006

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Speaking of entrance themes, who came out to The Final Countdown? I remember it being in a bunch of Japanese wrestling games but I can't remember who used it.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

MassRayPer posted:

ROH is running a 50% sale on Japanese Merchandise.

https://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=products&catid=211

Who cares right, it is just a bunch of crummy shirts and action figures. WRONG. Check out the DANGER MUTA IN CAR! shirt, which every man should own. I was also tempted to buy a Kawada "Stiff Intenseness" shirt to wear to $pread magazine events.

Whoa. I was just looking at their stuff the day before the sale. Glad I didn't buy anything then. Thanks for the heads up.

I wish they had stuff in medium 'cause Japanese shirts are kinda shaped differently sometimes so they fit weird. Maybe if they were tight they wouldn't look so odd.

I bought Kick Your Face, Fight For Tomorrow, The only Tiger Mask shirt that doesn't suck (The black/yellow one) and the brown NJPW shirt. I'd buy the RO&D shirt based on design alone if it came in medium. (I just realized there are more than one, I mean the one with the grim reaper on the back that says "Hell awaits no remorse". That shirt in M would basically be the key to the city. If the city was metal chicks pants.)

I considered the Muta in car and man of love shirts, but they might be a little too weird.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 17, 2006

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

I mean what ROH fan in the world can fit in a medium t-shirt?!

I'm 5'10, 160 and medium is my size of preference for shirts. I'm definitely in the minority as far as ROH fans go though.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Mighty Agrippa posted:

I've always wondered why wmvs are so popular with the net tape trading crowd. Why do they need to be converted at all?

I always loving hated that 'cause Tiger Mask was too fast for Windows Media Player. He always caused videos to gently caress up 'cause WMP sucks for the Mac.

Now Quicktime can play .wmv though so it's all good.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Pakelika posted:

I ordered my BJPW stuff from IVPVideos, I also got all of their Hayabusa stuff, IWA King Of The Death Match 95, and Best of Explosion Matches.

Edit: Is there anywhere I can get old Hayabusa era FMW shows on DVD?

FMW put a bunch of stuff out in the US on DVD. You could probably find them at your local mass electronics store (FYE, Best Buy, Sam Goody, Tower, etc) for cheap.

Lots of stuff with Hayabusa, Masato Tanaka, Mike Awesome. The commentary is in english and kinda lovely.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
I'm watching NOAH from 10/29/06 and it's so refreshing.

I'm 50 minutes in. Everything that happens is making sense, and none of it insults my intelligence like WWE and TNA do.

I thought Scorpio and Bospurus vs. Honda and someone I can't identify was one of the better tag matches I've seen in a while. Although I did like the Hardy Boys return match last night.

Scorpio was leading his less experienced partner, who was making rookie tag team mistakes (not guarding the other opponent from breaking up a pin, not doing the same type of offense as his partner) and it led to them losing the match. The better team won, and the other team got something out of it by gaining some tag experience for Bosporus with a veteran partner. All of this was easily picked up without even being able to understand most of what the announcers were saying. Everybody goes home happy and the fans were entertained. No bullshit.

I'm not surprised or anything, it's just nice to be able to watch a show and talk about it without saying "That was stupid" or "Why did that happen?"

Edit: Yone just slammed Izumida and went up top and Izumida is trying to get up. So simple but you never see that on TV. The point is he's trying to get up so he doesn't get hit with the leg drop, but he can't move. He got leg dropped and pinned because he couldn't get up and he showed you that. He didn't just lay down because it looked like it was time to go backstage and play Xbox. It's just good to see people who know how to work :)

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 23, 2006

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Kikkoman posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I love that camera angle that NOAH likes to use so much: The one where the camera is basically over one of the ring post, making the ring look more like a diamond than a square. I feel like it adds a whole new level of depth to the squared circle that you don't really get with just a side camera.

As an example, see the KENTA/Danielson ROH match posted earlier that had been given the NOAH treatment. That one overhead angle that's never used in any ROH video that I've seen in the past not only looks really loving nice, but it also gives a good overview of where the wrestlers are situated in the ring. Why don't we see it more often in American wrestling? Does NOAH have a patent on that diamond angle shot?

I love that angle. Especially when it's like a 6 man tag and guys are doing dives and there's something going on in the ring too. It's a more "live" shot.

I remember some Toryumon used a similar angle, but it was more like the Fire Pro camera angle then the NOAH one.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
I'm watching the IGF show now and so far it's great. I'm up to the tag match with Tamura.

I hope they run more shows 'cause I love this style of working.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

So it looks like I'm right and wrong.

NJ announced that its 1/4 Tokyo Dome show this year will be based around NJ vs TNA, with the main event probably involving the fake IWGP title. To me this implies that IGF has lost Angle.

What a shame. I'm sure Kurt and Inoki could have spent the rest of their lives together just talking about stuff they're going to do.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
I'm planning on being in Japan for Sakuraba vs. Funaki at K-1 on 12/31. While I'm there (probably from Dec 26th to Jan 2nd) I'd love to hit up some smaller shows like NOAH, AJPW, DEEP, ZST, Shooto, HUSTLE if there are any going on. Can anyone help point me in the direction of a site or something where I can find out about upcoming wrestling/MMA events in Japan and maybe even get tickets in advance?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

-This link plus babelfish is the best 'upcoming shows' resource: http://www6.nikkansports.com/battle/schedule/bt-schedule.html

Perfect, thanks!

Looks like I might aim to leave on the 21st so I can catch some combination of Dragon Gate on the 23rd, HUSTLE on the 25th, Smack Girl on the 26th, Dragon Gate on the 28th, DDT on the 30th, then K-1 on the 31st. That's a lot of shows though so I'm sure I'll miss a few depending on what I'm doing out there and where each of them are. Actually all of them are at Korakuen Hall except for the first Dragon Gate so I'll probably miss that one.

I wish the schedule worked out so I could go to IGF on the 20th. I still haven't seen the second show but I love that style.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

That Esperanza match is one of the greatest things ever. Takada is the greatest Japanese entertainer of all time.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

It's okay to link to puro :)

In that case, does anybody have the Barnett vs. Frye IGF match? Or anything from the non-Angle/Lesnar IGF shows? :cool:

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Thanks man.

I was really impressed with Montana Silva, at first I thought Josh was just making him look great but then I saw he was doing great on his own too. He's a great heel and I expected him to be terrible.

I also saw a few of the other matches and I was really impressed with Yoshiki Takahashi, I didn't know he could work like that! Jan Nortje was even impressive.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Does NJPW still have a store? Im in Shinjuku now, about to head to Osaka in a few hours but we walked around Tokyo earlier and saw nothing and I tried searching online and there is no trace of the store ever existing.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

It's in the same area as Korakuen and the dome, not Shinjuku. There's several wrestling shops in the vacinity.

Thanks. I just meant we were staying in Shinjuku at the moment, but I see how it looked like I was saying I thought the store was supposed to be there. I checked the train map and it looks like I figured out how to get to Korakuen so I'll check that out before I leave.

So far, I've gotta say Osaka beats the poo poo out of Tokyo and if I didn't have to fly out of Narita, I wouldn't even go back to Tokyo.

Edit: We found it but that whole part of the city closes at 5PM. Tokyo, the city that sleeps a whole lot. At least I got to go to Zero-One which was great. K-1 was awesome too.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 1, 2008

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
On July 12th and 13th, you can train with Japanese Pro Wrestling and MMA legend Minoru Suzuki at his two day seminar in Southern California. Pre-reg is only $180 http://www.scientificwrestling.com/products/item39.cfm

I wish airfare wasn't so crazily expensive right now 'cause this is a great opportunity.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

I just saw your posts in the travel forum, you should have just asked me itt :colbert:

Anyway, so others know: it costs a lot to get from Tokyo to the Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto area. Like, hundreds of dollars round-trip for a 2 hour train ride. Driving involves lots of tolls (so I'm told) and what are the odds you know someone willing to drive? Thus, if you're going to Japan for a week or less, good chance that you'll want to pick Tokyo or Osaka, but not both. Either place and its environs has more than enough to fill a week.

I heard there's an overnight bus that costs like $80 and takes like 8 hours or 10 or something but I was there during new years when I guess the country pretty much shuts down so that bus wasn't an option for me.

But yeah I wound up paying like $250 for the round trip shinkansen.

I'm not sure if the JR pass covers the shinkansen. I thought I saw something that said it did, but I didn't have one so I just kinda automatically ignored it.

If it doesn't, I think there's another train that takes a bit longer with more stops that it does cover. People should check with their travel agent or whoever is selling them the pass.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Carl Smoky posted:

The JR Rail Pass is definitely the way to go if you are planning on traveling around a lot when you're in Japan. The only train it doesn't cover is the Nozomi shinkansen. It will probably almost pay for itself with just the trip from Tokyo to wherever and back, and it's nice not to have any restrictions on when you want to go somewhere because the prices are different. Here's the website: http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Ah yeah, that was the one I took from Tokyo <-> Osaka, the Nozomi. If I remember correctly, the other train only took like 20 minutes more. We just took the Nozomi 'cause they lied to us and said all the trains were sold out except that one. They also said we wouldn't have seats and when we got there the train was almost empty so we sat wherever we wanted.

So yeah get the pass if you're going further than just around one city. It was the same price as the one shinkansen trip I took, and if I had a pass I would have saved a lot on all the other times I took the normal train.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

Inoki Genome has booked RVD vs Necro vs Kendo Kashin on their next show.

It's like an ice cream sundae with fudge and broccoli.

IGF is the greatest.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Beeswax posted:

A while back I saw some comedy battle royale that Adam & Mike plugged on their show.
Now, someone tell me something about Muscles Sakai because he, his outfit and his hair were fantastic.

Does anybody have the link to this? I saw it around that time and it was hilarious.

Takaku Fuke committing seppuku in slow motion had me dying.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

Battle royal: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6HRTGES

Another battle royal featuring Muscle Sakai (and TAKA and Shinzaki): http://theditch.us/12-31-06ChairmenBattle.avi

Thanks Ditch.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

Funaki is CRAZY ripped. That said I'm not getting my hopes up too much because his specialty isn't traditional style. He got a big response for the novelty of him doing basic pro wrestling spots; let's see what happens when the novelty wears off.

I love the pop he gets for the shoulder tackle. That's like 18 years of build-up for that tackle.

I really want to see a Funaki/Tamura re-match in pro wrestling. And Sakuraba too.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Boco_T posted:

This isn't pro wrestling related, but does anyone know where I might find a reputable DVD trader that would have copies of Akira Maeda's amateur MMA promotion THE OUTSIDER? This is a great promotion with thugs, hoodlums, and wusses fighting, and it is so awesome.

Just caught up on this thread a bit. I happened to have already posted the first 4 episodes of THE OUTSIDER over in the Japanese MMA thread

http://riotnerd.com/cortxbomb/

Thanks to forums user mischief for the hosting.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Can you guys suggest some Osamu Nishimura matches? I was watching Fujinami & Nishimura vs Shiazaki & Misawa from 2007 and enjoyed Nishimura's work in that match. Anything I should check out (preferably when he was in his prime)?

Watch his movie, The Calamari Wrestler. He turns into a huge squid and wrestles. It rules.

Ditch posted:

It was a combo three-company event: Big Japan, DDT and Kaientai Dojo. It was those wrestlers, plus some of said wrestlers coming in under multiple gimmicks, plus some D-grade indy guys, and last but not least Tajiri.

Did it have Yusuke Fuke buttscooting? Did it have slow motion?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

Liger vs Dick Togo
http://theditch.us/LigerVsTogo.avi

Probably the biggest singles match of Togo's career. He and Liger fit like a glove. SENTON~

The best German ever at 5:51

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Andre's groundwork rules

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

MassRayPer posted:

Strong Man is absolutely horrid in the ring. I must see him wrestling in Japan.

Strong Man vs Marufuji for MOTY.

Get you some IGF tapes. He's Jon Anderson or something there. His finisher is a headlock.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
IGF is the best. I wish I could steadily find their shows.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Boco_T posted:

Maybe this will help you find IGF things:

You can listen to clips of the audio here:
http://maplus-navi.jp/e115mpink

hahaha gently caress yeah

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

weekly font posted:

Isn't there a Liger/Muta match where Muta rips up Liger's mask but he's got face paint beneath it or something?

Muta rips off his mask and his face is painted then he spits mist. It ruled.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Ditch posted:

Hansen & Spivey vs Jumbo & Kobashi, April 16th 1990
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6H7Q149N

A fine tag with three hall of fame level workers and a solid one. The reason I'm posting it is the crowd, which... well all I can say is listen to how they react to the moves.

hahaha this crowd rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

KungFu Grip posted:

Yeah, he's just lucky the table actually broke somewhat.

I think it might have been better if it didn't... the angle of the rear legs of the table and the wood going to the floor makes a triangle that stops him from rolling over to his back. It's like the table backslides him as he's being driven down.