Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is Gedo still wrestling?

I liked his match in WCW against Jericho, mostly because he had a different style from all the other japanese wrestlers they had brought over at the time.

In fact, how many of the guys that took part in the New Japan/WCW deal are still active?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I might as well ask here rather than the questions thread.

Is Manabu Nakanishi in any way known/good ?
I only ask because he was in WCW in 1995 as Kurosawa where he had the priviledge of breaking Road Warrior Hawk's arm and then two months later actually beating RWH at HH95. So it at least seems like they thought he might have potential. It seems like he left not long after that though, to go back to NJPW.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ok guys, bear with me now.

I'm sitting here watching the WCW/NJPW Supercard from 1991 and it has the following card:
Brian Pillman , Tom Zenk & Tim Horner vs. Shiro Koshinaka, Kuniaki Kobayashi, & Takayuki Iizuka

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Akira Nogami

Arn Anderson & Barry Windham vs. Masahiro Chono & Masa Saito

IWGP Tag Team Title vs. WCW Tag Team Title: Rick & Scott Steiner vs. Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki

El Gigante vs. Big Cat Mr Hughes

Sting vs. Great Muta

IWGP Heavyweight Title & NWA Heavyweight Title: Ric Flair vs. Tatsumi Fujinami

Now, outside of Liger, Chono and the team of Hase/Sasaki and of course Muta I'm not at all familiar with any of the other guys.
I guess it's not unreasonable to think that Fujinami was the top guy at the time, since he got to face Flair, but were the three guys in the first match and Akira Nogami in any way known/popular back in 91? And are any of them still working now?

And if you should care, ignoring the El Gigante match this is actually a pretty good event. The Liger match is a bit strange though, but you can judge for yourselves if you want to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi94dHqS0jw

I just have one last newbie question, in January of 92 NJPW and WCW held an event called Starcade 92, has that ever been released on video?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm going to show my ignorance of jap wrestling once again and ask about a wrestler.

I was watching the debut WCW Thunder show the other night and one of the matches was Tenzan vs Ohara. Now Tenzan I am familiar with because he has worked with WCW before but who is Ohara? Is he anyone special at all? I mean, they packaged him with generic evil manager Sonny Ono after all.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Me and a friend decided we should try and get into more japanese wrestling than just New Japan, so we're checking out NOAH and All Japan.

We've watched first show from the NOAH Global League and while the undercard was nothing special, the first of the tournament matches (Kenoh vs Nakajima) was pretty crazy. From the way they were acting I'm assuming there was some prior history between them. All I really know about NOAH is that it is where Marufuji lives. Due to this event I also found out that it is where Cody Hall ended up after getting killed in New Japan.

Can someone give a quick summary of who to watch in NOAH and AJPW?

If it helps we're planning to watch the final show of the Global League and then watch Summer Action Series at Korakuen Hall from July 7th and Raising An Army Series at Korakuen Hall from October 9th from AJPW.
Just to sort of get a taste for what the promotions are about.

Also, is Marufuji's knee legit messed up or does he just pretend to have like titanium screws in there?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

coconono posted:

i’ve only seen one match but Im convinced KENOH is the second coming of Misawa. Eddie Edwards did a bunch of moves so KENOH just hit him harder.

Ive seen dudes gig themselves with syringes and drink from their burst veins but that 12/22 match was a loving spectacle of violences.

It was a fantastic match.

I recently started watching NOAH only really knowing that it is where Marufuji hangs out but I've quickly come to be a fan of KENOH and the team of HAYATA/YO-HEY.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Does NOAH have a streaming site? Because I can't really find anything.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

coconono posted:

Ishimori leaving NOAH doesn't surprise me, and I expect after a few years he'll be back.

I am really surprised that Kenoh dropped the title on his 4th defense. I figured they'd run it up to at least 10 before swapping out.

I just watched this show and was quite surprised at Kenoh losing.

Go Shiozaki vs Kaito Kiyomiya was brutal as hell and the main of Kenoh vs Sugiura was drat stiff as well.
I could do with fewer tag matches though. That tag title match with Yone/Quiet Storm felt like it lasted two hours, it was so slow paced and boring.

I still can't get over Sugiura having open heart surgery in June and coming back to wrestling in October. That is some insane poo poo.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Corbyn posted:

According to the counter under the video here, 38 million views.

Look again, it says 388.5 million views.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like the guy that got the pin in the 8-man tag, whatever his name is. He seems cool.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Koji Kitao died. :(

https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00415230CX

Dude lived a wild life and I guess it caught up with him. 55 is no age to go.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Has there been any announcement about a Great Space War show this year ? Googling "Great Space War" isn't exactly very helpful unless I want to read about the US-Soviet space race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/1264445304436293632

:unsmith: