Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I may not like most of his matches that aren't against the crazy skytwistering clown ... But drat if I don't get all warm and fuzzy inside every time I see a picture of Ebessan in his gear outside the ring.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 9, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Dear Ditch,

If you stop hosting your AJPW stuff before I get a chance to download it next weekend I shall be very pissed indeed ... So much stuff I've never seen, all in one place. I'm getting giddy here at work just thinking about all this awesomeness.

Your pal
Illinois

In other news, I recently had my faith in deathmatches restored by an awesome outing between Abdullah Kobayashi and Riuji Ito for the BJW Title from last December. This match featuires light tubes (and plenty of them)as well as a surprisingly stable scaffold propped on two ladders in the ring.

Abby jr absolutely rocks this one. He puts together a great match, uses the big spots in the right places, shows facial expressions that make you wince and throws in assorted other juicy stuff, like when he taunts Ito to hit him again by CASUALLY CHEWING ON A LIGHT TUBE.

This match embodies everything that is right and powerful about garbage wrestling.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I still think Lesnar had the half of his brain concerned with rational thinking knocked out during the botched SSP at Wrestlemania. Now it looks like Sable's poisonous vagina has caused the remaining half to rot away.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

Next time: Mike Quackenbush! He might even be a 2-parter.
Kickass! Quack is by far my favourite underrated indy-wrestler right now. I also just finished reading Headquarters again last week.

If you haven't already done the interview, can you ask him why he doesn't work more different companies anymore? He had a brief stint in CZW and appears at the TPI every other year ... But as much as I adore Chikara, I'd kill to see the guy work places like PWG or, god forbid, RoH. Is he just too busy with his school?

Also, I'm currently trying to track down his match with El Hijo Del Santo (as well as any other vintage Quack / Black T-Shirt Squad stuff) but Smartmarkvideo only seems to have tapes. Since my VCR has gone the way of the Dodo, does anyone know where I can get stuff of his on DVD?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Breaking News: Misawa cracks a smile!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

So now that the GHC Tag Titles have been vacated, what do you fine upstanding folks all think will happen? And more importantly, will the new champs still have to ASK for title defenses?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Taue & SUWA, eh? I hope they get the gold, they're the two most entertaining things the company has going and SUWA has been criminally underused for ages now.

Maru vs KENTA for the title is ... Interesting. I think these two always bring out the best in eachother.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

True, their matches tend to be spotty but at least they have great chemistry. It's a
far cry from something like, say, KENTA vs Taji.

Plus I like the whole "now they're tag partners, now they're rivals, now they're tag partners again" dynamic.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Goodbye Triple Crown, we hardly knew ye:

quote:

The biggest news is coming from an announcement made by All Japan officers today. All Japan will finally unite the Triple Crown into one title belt. The production costs for the title are being quoted as to be around 10 million yen or more, so the belt will be top-notch. The Triple Crown has been All Japan's main title since 1989, when they were unified by Jumbo Tsuruta. One of the main motivating factors behind the new title is the degradation the belts recieved at the hands of current champion, Minoru Suzuki, but also that times were changing in the wrestling community and that the officers agreed to manufacture a new title in their meeting this month. The belts will be collected at the end of Suzuki/RO'Zs title match on 10/29 in Fukuoka, and the new title will be revealed at All Japan's Sumo Hall show in February. Kyohei Wada stated that long ago, the Triple Crown belts couldn't even as so much be placed on the floor, so when Suzuki stood on top of the belts back on 9/3, it angered him alot. All Japan management say's that although the belts will be sealed, they will be kept in the office, and will also be on display at the halls in which a match for the new title will occur. Finally, the belt will also feature "Triple Crown" in english in the center, which is also a step foward for pro-wrestling in Japan, with this being the first step in a string of moves for All Japan.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

American Dragon has been announced for NOAH's next tour.

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

I can't see him doing anything but working with juniors.
The last Budokan show was headlined by two juniors, both of which Dragon has defeated in great matches that were aired in Japan.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh boy, this is going to be awesome. If they have him face Taue in a tag as well my head might just explode.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hey Ditch, thanks a lot for all the Michinoku Pro awesomeness you put up lately. I'm a huge fan of their tags but haven't seen too much '96 material besides the Barely Legal match, the one from These Days and a few random other ones. This stuff is putting me straight back into Dancing Mark Mode, even though I have a broken foot right now. :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

loving aces, I love that they finally seem to have decided to put those belts to use again.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/63645
This week: Big in '06, to-be-Big in '07 guessing.

What's up with this one, it just gives me some SQL error ... The URL seems to be correct though, when I go to Inside Pulse it gives me the same result.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

lol

Cubs' Blog posted:

Negro Casas and Texano are headed back to Japan next month, with Texano getting a title match against Minoru for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship. This title match is out of nowhere, and I thought this was just a case of "Japan loves cowboys", but no, there's a ISSUE here

Minoru explained that when he went to Mexico around four years ago, he and Texano developed an unusual hatred for each other and that Texano tricked him when telling him directions and Minoru ended up in a taxi for about five hours. If he defeats Texano, he wants the young Mexican to pay him back the taxi fare.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Pity Kotaro is in Mushiking mode on 4/28, I was hoping for a Jr. Tag Titles defense against the Dragon Gate guys.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Can't wait to see two of my favorite assholes in wrestling collide.

Ditch posted:

In other news I will eventually be hosting matches with Danshoku Dino and Razor Ramon HG :o:

if you need some Hustle Rangers matches too give me a holla

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 31, 2007

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Putting this in the Puro thread even though it's technically a lucha show.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the greatest rudo team in the history of people being assholes to eachother:

Both the main and C.T.U. vs Wagner & Casas need to be online like ... Yesterday.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

They're from RD&D, TAKA's old stable. He announced that he wants to reform it in NOAH.

With both CIMA and TAKA, coming in for matches and a very likely Marufuji / CIMA match on the horizon, their junior scene just got a lot neater.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Raffles posted:

Also what's the story with Prince Devitt?

NJPW trainee I think. Hasn't ventured very far from them yet.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

Suzuki + Triple Crown match = the suck. Tajiri in Japan now is 90% schtick and the same handful of spots. :smith:

I really enjoyed both their Carnival match (even though it was mostly an elaborate angle for him to steal the belts) and the tag with AKIRA and MAZADA. Can't wait for the TC to show up.

Crafty old rear end in a top hat TAJIRI may not be as awesome as vicious psychotic ECW era TAJIRI but he's still tons of fun to watch. I hope he gets more tag matches with Muta this year.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

In HUSTLE news:

Muta's crotch misting attack, besides knocking Yinling the gently caress out, has appearantly made her pregnant too. She is already experiencing some severe bouts of evening sickness.

Her kid already seems to possess an uncanny sense of timing too: Instead of the usual 9 month waiting period, he is scheduled to be born on November's HUSTLE MANIA.

I love this company.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 13, 2007

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Is there any chance this was taped?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

Some pics from HUSTLEMANIA:
http://www.puroresufan.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4009.840

Main results: Sapp over HG, Sakata over Esperanza after Esperanza's lazer beam attack was reflected at him by Sakata's ultra-hot wife Eiko Koike. Kawada did an Elvis impersonation in lieu of wrestling.
The Esperanza match is so goddamn epic. LOVE & HUSTLE indeed.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I guess the fact that Takada had about 7 squibs or so wired around his body played a pretty huge part in that. Plus, isn't Esperanza supposed to be some kind of cyborg?

Still, I think there's a pretty good chance that the speed issue will be made obsolete depending on what exactly Generalissimo Takada's next incarnation is going to be.

Esperanza matches are basically the perfect example to sum up HUSTLE's Fighting Opera style. It's a humongously silly spectacle, it's wayyy over the top, but it also takes itself just seriously enough that it works. That's the difference between Esperanza shooting people with his invisible laser beam and Vince McMahon challenging god to a PPV match.

I also hope we'll get footage of Elvis Kawada online soon.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Puro needs more heel Misawa. That liver elbow was the poo poo.

Not like the fans would boo him against anyone else than Kobashi but it would've made his title reign about 489389 times more fun nonetheless.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I sincerely hope Takuya Sugi sticks with the Yoshitsune gimmick for a while now, because if he continues to bust out matches like the recent Tohoku Jr. Title match against GAINA, he might just become the next big thing in lucharesu. Sasuke liking him enough to book him over Liger might help a bit too.

Here's to hoping we'll see him in DG sometime next year and then he'll blow everyone's mind and then I'll say WELL I LIKED THE GUY WHEN HE WAS MINI-CIMA and go pout in the corner. :colbert:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I don't suppose this is a case of NJPW bookers not wanting to get Zero-One guys like when Joe had their "stench" on him for about two years and thus wouldn't get booked by any of the bigger companies?

Ah, who am I kidding.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

NOSAWA doing ultra-wacky DDT gimmick matches with Muscle Sakai is infinitely more enjoyable than NOSAWA doing anything else. That feud was classic.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Sadly the Matt Classic vs Kikutaro match from last year appears to have been deleted everywhere.

There are all streaming links:

Kiku Angle vs Muscle Lesnar vs Josh Kintaro
Ebessan vs Kamen
Ebessan vs Kamen (2/3 Falls)
Liger & Delfin vs Ebessan & Kamen
Satoshi Kojima vs Triple Kiku
Kikutaro & Matsuyama vs The Mecha Mummies

Further silliness:

Bruiser Minody(Minoru Suzuki) & Takan Hansen(Yoshihiro Takayama) vs Terry Sanshiro(Sanshiro Takagi) & Jumbo Kiku(Kikutaro)

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 9, 2008

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

BLASPHEMY

drat YOU JAPAN AND YOUR OVERLY RIGID CUSTOM LAWS

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Also after long and impressive exchanges, kind of like the standard indy-standoff pose to give the audience a moment to cheer for a particularly impressive sequence.

My favorite is when during huge tags all 8-10 people including the ref do it simultaneously, then the ref and some of the rudos freak out about it like they just couldn't help themselves but participate. :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Thoughts on the latest Infinity episode:

- Tornado NEEDS to be brought back. The last guy to integrate himself so seamlessly into the rest of the roster was Jack Evans.
- Despite his age, I wish Iwasa could get a "learning excursion" (excuse to have a bunch of critically awesome matches) in the US too.
- Man, one of these days they gotta bring back Apache for one of these things.
- The last two matches are pretty much everything ROH's faction warfare wishes it could be when it cries itself to sleep at night.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

1.Susumu Yokosuka, Ryo Saito, Anthony W Mori & Human Tornado vs. El Generico, Cyber Kong, Shinobu & Lupin Matsutani
Super fun stuff, everyone ends up looking really good and like I said, Tornado gives off the feeling that he's been wrestling with these guys for years. About 9 out of 16 minutes shown.

The Maximos look pretty much as bad as I remembered them, only about twice as huge. How the gently caress did they get on this tour anyway? Not as bad as it's made out to be by some people but still not very good. Same goes for the JAM cup, which is a lot weaker than last year's. The PAC vs Generico portion is as fun as usual though.

4. - Masato Yoshino vs. El Generico
This was pretty much exactly the 20-minute match you'd expect these two to have. If that's an idea that appeals to you, watch it ... I thought it might actually have worked a bit better with less time. No clipping in this one.

5. Yasushi Kanda & Genki Horiguchi vs. Taku Iwasa & Ken'ichiro Arai
Tozawa-juku strikes back! Compact (at 12 minutes), heated, classic piece of stable warfare. Arai gets his arms duct-taped to his side and it's glorious! Iwasa continues to be > you! At the end a Speed Muscle vs AraIwa match is announced for the next show and I'm losing my poo poo! Some minimal clipping here.

6. CIMA, Susumu Yokosuka, Dragon Kid & Human Tornado vs. SHINGO, Cyber Kong, Austin Aries & Jack Evans
This gets pretty nutty towards the end. Everyone looks sharp and they just keep piling those spots ontop of eachother. The camera dude sadly doesn't get around the fans in time for Tornado's rana off the basketball hoop. Pretty deftly clipped with 16 of 25 minutes shown.

Overall the episode is really fun even though there was a criminal amount of potentially awesome matchups left out, as usual with these tours.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

coconono posted:

Isn't it some kind of tradition that RG gets brutally murdered every now and then? I vaguely remember Bob Sapp teeing off on him towards the end of last year.

Well, sort of but this definitely sets a new standard for this kind of thing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hero has posted a ton of amazing NOAH tour pics including this one

this one

this one

this one

and especially this one

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jagtpanther posted:

I just found out some of the card for Noah's European navigation - I'm thinking I might sell my ticket after hearing it - practically sick to my stomach at how they could make a card so dissapointing:

Yone/Shima vs. Akiyama/Bison Smith
Marufuji/Misawa vs. Kobashi/Shiozaki
Izumida/Kikuchi vs. Jobbers
Redman vs. Aoki

No Briscoes either...

Seriously - would it hard to put the main draws in singles matches? Really? It looks like a card I'd imagine to see two weeks before Wrestlemania :( Am I being pessimistic or might this end up being as dissapointing as indicators are showing me?
That's ... The way NOAH always books things. Seriously, if you don't want a bunch of semi-random tag matches, don't go to a NOAH show. Singles matches are usually reserved for title defenses on huge shows, the only notable exception I can recall offhand being Misawa vs KENTA in ROH and that was probably more a favor to a company they've had a solid working relationship with for several years.

Additionally, how can you be enough into NOAH to buy a ticket and not get excited for Marufuji/Misawa vs. Kobashi/Shiozaki?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

DO THE DRAGON SHUFFLE

dgusa posted:

Another wild night in Korakuen Hall.
CIMA opened the show by greeting fans and informing them of his injury and absence.
Araken and Iwasa heavily criticized Tozawa, and the direction of Tozawajuku. They attempted to remedy this by aiding Tanisaki in his match. They asked him to join, saying the gakuran would suit him. They gave him a Tozawajuku t-shirt and the 3 shook hands. They posed for a photo then left Naoki to decide.
Takagi and Kong danced with Hulk as promised, but Takagi quickly turned on Hulk before the match got underway. Shingo said after losing the GHC Jr tag, a weakling like Hulk was no longer necessary. Handshakes were exchanged with Gamma and YAMATO. New Hazard and MO'z are no more, the remainder of both sides reforming into a new unit called Real Hazard. Doi and Yoshino saved Hulk, which lead into a new Triangle Match, with Real Hazard vs. Doi, Yoshino, and Hulk.
Afterwards, Naoki intruded. He helped chase off RH. After formally declining membership into Tozawajuku, Doi invited him to fight with them. He accepted. m.c.KZ will return home from Mexico and also join their unit. The name will be announced on 5/31 in Kobe Sambo Hall.

Matches involving both new units were made for 6/12 Korakuen.

6/12/2008 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall
-BxB Hulk vs. Yasushi Kanda
-Naniwa Elimination Match: Shingo Takagi, Gamma, Genki Horiguchi, Cyber Kong vs. Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Naoki Tanisaki, m.c.KZ

Coming out of this, the unit alignments look like this:

Typhoon: CIMA (Injury Absence), Ryo, Susumu, Kid, Mori, PAC
Real Hazard: Shingo, Gamma, YAMATO, Kong, Horiguchi, Kanda
New Unit: Doi, Yoshino, Hulk, Tanisaki, m.c.KZ
Tozawajuku: Arai, Iwasa, Tozawa, Katsuo, Shishido
Mushozoku/NEX: Mochizuki, K-ness, Fujii, Shisa, BOY, Shenlong, Lupin, Shinobu
Hopefully Tozawajuku can recruit either Fuji or Shinobu because they definitely drew the short straw in this so far. If not they might as well disband the group and stick AraIwa in the new unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT