Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Mochi vs Sawa is definitely in my top 5 or so matches I've seen this year. Pretty much the perfect 12-minute match, really makes you wish Mochi got a chance to work like this more often (it was taken from a show promoted by himself). The strike exchange at the end is just completely and utterly badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yinling vs Bono-chan is another epic HUSTLE main-event and has not one but TWO classic video packages. First you get a recap of the whole crazy storyline that led to this confrontation of mother and green-misted-crotchspawn set to some spectacularly melancholy music ... and afterwards an amazing music video detailing all the crazy poo poo Yinling has done during her time with the company. This only cemented her status as my favorite woman in wrestling.

The only thing that could have made this any better would would've been another Muta appearance. Oh well.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Here are the results for the second show in Germany:

wXw/ NOAH "Dead End VIII - Day 2: European Navigation"
22. Juni 2008
Turbinenhalle - Oberhausen, Germany

Young Lions Challenge
Bernd Föhr (wXw) b. Eddie Edwards (NOAH) via Roll Up

Takashi Sugiura (NOAH) b. Chris Hero (wXw)

wXw Tag Team Championship
Ab-Las (Absolute Andy & Steve Douglas) b. Chris Hero & Marc Roudin (c)

KENTA (NOAH) b. Claudio Castagnoli (wXw) via Go To Sleep

Relaxed Rules Match
Thumbtack Jack (wXw) b. Jay Briscoe (NOAH) via Michinoku Driver through a table

Number One Contendership for the wXw World Heavyweight Championship
Bryan Danielson b. Nigel McGuinness via Roll Up

Tag Team Match
Kenta Kobashi & Go Shiozaki (NOAH) b. Bad Bones & Big van Walter (wXw)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I don't get any infos really, I just grab the shows whenever they pop up online.

Also, Liger appearantly wants to book another Super J this August. No comments yet on what promotions will participate but color me excited anyway.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jimchuck Spanner posted:

zzzzzzzzzzz
Updated card:

NOAH, 12/7/2008
Tokyo Nippon Budokan

1. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima
2. GHC Heavyweight Title Contendership: Jun Akiyama vs. Takeshi Morishima
3. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Kotaro Suzuki (c) vs. KENTA & Taiji Ishimori
4. GHC Heavyweight Title: Kensuke Sasaki (c) vs. Akitoshi Saito

If you can't get excited for that you should probably watch some other fed instead.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jesus, an actual heel stable? Awesome.

Evil Yone should be grand.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

The constant shuffling gets to be a bit much.
What's worse is that none of the new units ever have an identity or a reason for these particular guys to stick together. They all seem so interchangeable that with every reshuffling it just gets more and more random. I want less randomness and more old-school theme units, damnit.

The last unit with a clear identity they had was Tozawa-juku. The last "serious" one was maybe Blood Generation, at least until the Muscle Outlaw'z split when the concept went out the window and they added guys like Jack Evans.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

This needs more love:

quote:

Q: Why do you and Ikeda hit each other harder than any other wrestlers hit each other?

A: Because we are not hitting each other, we are hitting the loving stupid people in the world who think that pro-wrestling is fake like a trained monkey show.
Ishikawa > you

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

gently caress, appearantly Jun Kasai is out for a year too. Again.

I was really hoping he'd finally get a championship run, if there's one guy who deserves it it's him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Here's to hoping they get Shelley for the tournament!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Wasn't Sabin in another New Japan tournament last year?

I'm not talking about him winning anything, all I want is a nice little Shelley vs Liger match. There are certainly worse people to stick in your Jr. tournament than your Jr.-Tag champs.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Right, it was the AJPW thing.

I forgot all about Rave, if that guy can get in Shelley should be a no-brainer. Come oooooonnnnnnnnn.

Also, ~THE HARD LUCK SOLDIERS~ is a drat fine tour name.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Liger is so great at these interpromotional feuds. Really looking forward to seeing him on the green mat again, should be good times. Weird to see him booked against the rudo stable though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

HulkaMatt posted:

EBESSSSSSSSSSANNNNNNNNNNN~!
This is the best feud.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

Death Cake of Fear 32,000 Thumbtacks & 200 Fluorescent Lighttubes 3.2.1 Birthday Death Cake Death Match:
If Abby Jr. isn't in this I will be sorely disappointed. That guy deserves some cake.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

MASADA's growing on me, I just wish he'd stop sticking stuff in people's heads.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

5/27/2009 Miyagi, Zepp Sendai
1. Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk, PAC vs. Ryo Saito, Kenichiro Arai, Genki Horiguchi
2. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa
3. Susumu Yokosuka, Gamma vs. Anthony W. Mori, Don Fujii
4. CIMA, KAGETORA vs. Naruki Doi, Naoki Tanisaki
5. Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi, Dragon Kid vs. YAMATO, Yasushi Kanda, Cyber Kong

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

coconono posted:

Isn't Marvin the gaijin they hired to take all the falls in multiman matches?
Not really, he's been part of their Junior division forever. Had a pretty awesome reign with Kotaro as champs of the division in 2007.

Pretty sure they've never faced off, this should be neat.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Well, he also started wrestling 5-10 years later than those other guys. Taue, Misawa & Kawada all debuted in the early 80s, Kobashi in '87 and then Akiyama came along in '92.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh god, Taylor vs Nakazawa. SOMEBODY BETTER TAPE THIS

2.0 making the trip still puzzles the gently caress out of me.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Venezia / Kong / Kasai vs Shingo BOOK IT GENKI

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The recent matches also seem to have less of Teioh's comedy, which was like half the fun for me. They're still fine openers though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

I just hope Danielson/Strong vs Kikutaro/Hirayangi is taped, I need to see Kikutaro vs Danielson.
I need more Happy Comedy Dragon in my life. And so do you.

Didn't Kanemaru get kicked out of the heel group or something? If not, I'd say him & Kotaro will probably take this.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

loool @ spoiler tagging a goddamn stalker ichikawa match

The trios title match was really good, especially the DK / Yoshino parts but both of the other two title matches just dragged endlessly. Whose bright idea was it to turn YAMATO anyway, dude's the most natural dickbag heel Japan has seen in ages.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Holy crap!

ROH Delirious is all kinds of stale but I'll be watching the gently caress out of this. Dude must be pumped right now.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I demand:

- Liger vs Sasuke: Crazy Old Men Edition
- Milano vs DG (preferrably Yoshino)

Tournament should be a blast, might as well get pissed about TMIV going too far now instead of in 6 weeks though. Will Marufuji be back by Christmas?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 1, 2009

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I just remembered the MCMG's run as junior tag champs, so there's a good chance Shelley will finally get another singles match in Japan out of this. 'bout loving time.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Calling Devitt jobbing in round 1.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Announced Super J Cup participants (and thus all the fantasy booking comes crashing down):

1. Taichi (New Japan Pro-Wrestling)
2. Tigers Mask (Osaka Pro-Wrestling)
3. GENTARO (Pro-Wrestling FREEDOMS)
4. AKIRA (Free)
5. Jado (CHAOS/New Japan Pro-Wrestling)
6. Gedo (CHAOS/New Japan Pro-Wrestling)
7. Prince Devitt (Apollo 55/New Japan Pro-Wrestling)
8. Ryusuke Taguchi (Apollo 55/New Japan Pro-Wrestling)
9. Fujita "Jr." Hayato (Michinoku Pro-Wrestling)
10. YAMATO (DRAGON GATE)
11. Atsushi Aoki (Pro-Wrestling NOAH)
12. Danshoku Dino (DDT Pro-Wrestling)
13. Koji Kanemoto (New Japan Pro-Wrestling)
14. X
15. X
16. Jushin Thunder Liger (New Japan Pro-Wrestling)

Stupid politics. :(

- Tigers Mask is a nice little surprise
- Dino vs whoever he's losing to in the first round will probably be really funny
- Jado AND Gedo? In 2009? Goddamnit Liger ...
- Vacant spots are most likely a CMLL guy (Sombra) and either Ibushi or the winner of the Zero-One tournament

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

It's like... $5 or less for pretty much any amount of DVDs one could reasonably be expected to buy.
It's weird how times change.

10 years ago I would've gone absolutely batshit insane over a site like this and regularly bought lovely dubs of dubs of dubs for (by today's standard) horrendous amounts of money. If you wanted to download a match you had to get like 17 .rar files off a geocities site and it took most of the day to complete and looked even worse that the lovely VHS tapes everyone sold.

Cut to today: Between your sites, torrents and a handful of boards I already have a stuff-to-watch folder that is just simply ridiculous to look at. So much awesomeness to watch, so little time.

That said, I'm totally grabbing some of those early 1993 Michinoku Pro shows. :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Super J Cup 2009: SAVED

BRACKETS:

Winner of Devitt/Aoki faces the Winner of Jado/Dino
Winner of Gedo/Ibushi faces the Winner of AKIRA/YAMATO
Winner of Liger/Marufuji faces the Winner of Taichi/Tigers Mask
Winner of Kanemoto/Fujita faces the Winner of Taguchi/GENTARO

PREDICTIONS:

I'd say the semis will be

Devitt vs Ibushi
Maru vs Kanemoto

Also predicting Maru vs Liger on Night 1 to be awesome and stuff.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ito's another dojo guy, he's been around about as long as Aoki I think.

I love the way this batch of trainees is coming along. Aoki really needs to grow his 'fro back though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Getting pissed about Gedo eliminating people from tournaments ... WHAT IS THIS SOME KIND OF TIME WARP TO TEN YEARS AGO?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yay, I finally can come back to this thread now that I've seen the J-Cup. :)

KungFu Grip posted:

To be fair its not like TigersMask is a series wrestler. Dude's gimmick was based of the Tigers baseball team over in Japan.
Key word being "was". These days he's some kind of surly, drunken, nun-chuck swinging pirate who rips off Dusty Rhodes promos. Seriously, he's awesome.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 4, 2010

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

drat, how the hell have I never seen this match online?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

How? How do you book a team like that and not even tape it? This is now second on the list of awesome stuff I'd kill for but will never get to see, first one being the Skayde vs Mistico mask vs mask match.

guuuuuuuuuhhhh

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

SIGN KAWADA YOU STUPID DINGBATS

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

They really just need to establish some clear units again now that the dead weight is gone.

- Hero, Bison & Walker seem to be the new gaijin fixtures (hopeully Claudio gets some more tours as well). Have them actually team together on a permanent basis, with Hero as the singles threat.

- Is the Rikio / Kotaro / Genba / Yone heel unit even still around? DO SOMETHING WITH THEM

- Give Go some unit support, maybe make him the patron saint of the last dojo generation or something.

I simply don't buy the "NOAH has random booking and that's just how it's done" mindset. Because they had no trouble establishing units and conflicts between them in the early years.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 15, 2010

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Big Japan put over more new guys in the last two years than most of the other bigger companies combined but I guess that depends on your definition of what a big draw is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Taue is the next guy on the injury list.

This is getting ridiculous.