Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hey Ditchbag, any news on how Kobashi is doing? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch-san, why are KENTA and TAKA's names in all caps?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How long is Misawa going to have this damned title reign? It's painful.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just started getting into Joshi and I can't believe how often Toyota jobs in the big matches.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRayPer posted:

She asked Misawa his secret to being over and he told her sarcastically "By putting so many people over!" but she took him seriously.

I bet she only won the hair v. hair match cause Yamada had butch hair to begin with. :colbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

From EMLL on Friday:

:psyduck:

That's awesome. Hey Ditch how was the Tajiri Triple Crown match?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Here's to Taue winning the title. :unsmith:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'd just like to say that I think the whole Young Lion thing is retarded. :colbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

coconono posted:

Hansen is a loon. Have you seen the 89(or was it 93?) match between him and Vader. He hits Vader so hard, Vader's eye pops out.

Spoiled in case you want to keep that a surprise.

More importantly Vader pops it back in.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm going through this chronologically so that I can take part as well. I'm giving each match star rankings for now so I can go back and rank easier once it's all done. Taue/Jumbo vs. Kawada/Misawa II has jumped into my favorite matches.

90s
-5/26/90 - Jumbo, Kabuki, Fuchi vs. Misawa, Kobashi, Taue *** 3/4
-6/8/90 - Jumbo vs. Misawa **** 1/4
-8/26/90 - Kobashi vs. Dan Kroffat ** 1/2
-9/1/90 - Fulton/Rogers vs. Malenko/Kikuchi **
-9/1/90 - Jumbo vs. Misawa - **** 1/2
-9/30/90 - Jumbo/Taue vs. Misawa/Kawada - *** 3/4
-10/19/90 - Jumbo/Taue/Fuchi vs. Kobashi/Kawada/Misawa - *** 3/4
-12/07/90 - Jumbo/Taue vs. Misawa/Kawada - **** 3/4

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RheinholdMessner posted:

You are crazy and your opinion is wrong

Part of this could easily be I couldn't get sound to play on this file.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Well poo poo that's gonna take the starch out of anything.

Here's Meltzer's ratings, for reference
****1/2
****3/4
****1/2
unrated
****1/2

Even by western NY winter standards that's a whole lot of snow. I mean Kobashi vs Kroffat is good but four stars for that is silly, especially not in full. Also putting the 9/1 tag match ahead of Jumbo vs Misawa II is probably the single most blatant laugher I've seen from him.

What made you like the tag league match the most? I enjoyed it a ton but it didn't stand out as among-the-best-of-the-decade like, say, the Jumbo vs Misawa bouts.

I seem to do stars a lot differently from how Dave does them. ** 1/2 is where every match starts for me and then it can go up or down from there. For a match to get five it has to keep me enthralled from start to finish with very few dead spots and great storytelling. The tag league match I feel has the best Misawa/Jumbo interaction of all the tag bouts. The "man in peril" run was great here because Jumbo was KO'd outside the ring and even if Taue wanted to make the tag he couldn't, which when the hot tag did come made it that much better. There were one or two awkward moments though, like when Kawada suplexes Taue in the crowd and Taue immediately gets up and walks back to the ring, which dropped the score, but of the stuff on the shortlist it's my favorite match so far. The Jumbo/Misawa bouts are good, I like the ending of the first more though the second has a lot more hatred between the two and less downtime in the middle.

Something I'm wondering is how Taue started the year on the youngsters team and ended it with a pretty regular pairing with Jumbo.

I'm kind of stoked about going through this stuff since I have three or four days where I have absolutely nothing to do before I go back to college, so I'm going to poopsock it and fly through these. Also why isn't there much Hansen on the shortlist?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Taue switched in August IIRC. There's a 6 man I have yet to obtain that's supposedly quite good where Taue debuts as Jumbo's #2. The *why* is that a bunch of Jumbo's guys (Kabuki, Yatsu) left the company, and Mighty Inoue was a marginal wrestler for such a big feud.

Huh? You mean the project list? He's on there 12 times and figures to have two or three in the top 25. That ain't bad. If it was a top 100 list with like 200 nominations there would be a ton more Hansen because he had a LOT of solid but not quite stellar bouts.

Ah okay. I was just surprised he wasn't there much in 90/91. I haven't looked forward much cause I don't want to spoil myself in what I'm seeing. :) Just got done with the fat gaijin tag from 4/18 and it was awesome.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

At today's Budokan show, Morishima beat Akiyama (with a lariat!) and Marufuji beat Saito in the semi's of the title contention tournament. Marufuji then beat Morishima to get the next shot at Misawa on 9/29.

Winner gets Samoa Joe at the 10/27 Budokan show

:aaa: Ho-lee poo poo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TheDuelies posted:

Any word/idea if the match was any good? I've really enjoyed Marufuji.

Their first match was kind of bleh. Misawa is dangerously close to becoming :effort:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TheDuelies posted:

That pop is going to be huge.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HulkaMatt posted:

I posted this in the MOTYC thread but I figured it could go in here :shobon:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Hiroki Goto

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

MOTYC :)

MOTY for NJPW, but not overall. I thought it was a little underwhelming after it being hyped.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jagtpanther posted:

I really only meant the main stars - but that's cool - thanks for the link, and I'll check that out.

Misawa - Respected owner, elbows your face, drops you on head
Kobashi - Veteran. Chopped the cancer out of his body. Chops your chest, drops you on head
KENTA - Cocky dick. Kicks you in head, drops you on head.
Morishima - Giant Japanese Baby - Drops you on head

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match: 11/24/07 Sappro STV SUPIKA
Kotaro SUZUKI & Ricky MARVIN (Champion) vs. Naruki DOI & Masato YOSHINO (Challenger)
@17 min 39 sec. DOI beat SUZUKI from MUSCULAR-BOMB
YOSHINO & DOI became the NEW (7th) GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Champion Team.

:woop:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Artemis Entreri posted:

Yeah I guess, I mean I guess I'm just looking at it like WWE having Cena come back and having him pinned in his first match back.

This is the difference between sports entertainment and puro. I'd say he held his own for a guy who just battled cancer and was out for over a year and it was far from a burial.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 4, 2007

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Captain Charisma posted:

I am still in disbelief that Petey Williams was booked over MCMGs, but WHO THE gently caress CARES? YASSHI~! YOSHIE~!~!~!!!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!!!~~!

Hmm, MCMG has a following in Japan, but Petey Williams is A BODYBUILDER and can do a FLIP!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How many people did they draw before Japaninflation.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jagtpanther posted:

I take it that these are going to be front-row equivalents, yeah? I'm about to buy for me and my girlfriend and I want to be sure before I lay down a ton. EDIT: Sod it, just bought a pair - Here's hoping it's not a stinker, huh? :)

EDIT2: Since it seems that Misawa and Kobayashi are scheduled to be there I feel like I should learn a bit more - aside from Joe/Kobashi and GBHVI I've seen little of either other than anecdotes and a few videos. Most interestingly I note that mid 90's MOTY and MOTYC seemed to be dominated between their matches. Is there a DVD set/product that features these, or am I in the region of fan traded tapes/etc. ?

Secondly, I gather that Kawada and Akiyama were prominent then too - so I'm not altogether concerned if it's an event DVD or compilation that involves them too.

Look for a link to Ditch's place. Any 6-man with Misawa/Jumbo/Kobashi from the early90s is golden. Misawa vs. Kobashi from March 03 in NOAH is my favorite match of all time. Some of the most recent tag grand prix matches were out of this world good too.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Captain Charisma posted:

I assume he means the Jr. Heavyweight Tag League with KENTA & Ishimori vs. Marufuji & Ibushi

I don't know why I called the Tag League the Grand Prix. I guess the image of KENTA and Marufuji in racecars was too much for me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is there a decent place I could get NOAH tour results in Engrish?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Captain Charisma posted:

Man, I'm so glad I don't live in the UK, the crowds in the Northeast US are so much better about things like that.

I'm sure it's easy to get yourself over when your competition is Jody Fleisch and Robbie Brookside.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRayPer posted:

Danielson will beat your loving rear end if you talk bad about Brookside.

Who the gently caress is Danielson? I'll kick his rear end.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I guess nothing is going on in Puroville? I'm going to be in Japan from the 25th-31st and was wondering if there was a way to find out if there'd be any shows going on. :shobon:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

On the 27th Dragon Gate will have their annual big show at Kobe World Hall, headlined by Shingo vs BB Hulk to determine who gets the belt after CIMA vacated it.

:aaa: FUUUUUCK I hope I can get to this.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

I just saw your posts in the travel forum, you should have just asked me itt :colbert:

Sorry :( Just wanna say Tokyo was awesome and the Suica card is a godsend.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Suica??

You put X amount of money on it and just walk through the turnstyles on the JR line and it picks up your card and how much it costs to get from station to station. No bothering with ticket windows every trip.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Can anyone explain to me the differences between No Vacancy, Super No vacancy and whatever else they use?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

coconono posted:

did he ever go longer than 20 minutes in ROH?

just sayin.

At one point do you really need to go over 20 in WWE? He just went a half hour in NOAH. Just because you're big doesn't mean you can't go. And good, the WWE would just give him an evil foreigner gimmick.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

He's seen as credible, not a fearsome monster or anything, but he's just not a big draw. Doesn't have the kind of charisma to lead a company.

They said this about Marufuji and now Morishima. Who do they expect to lead the next generation of NOAH main eventers? Misawa and Kobashi don't have that much left in them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Marufuji has charisma but is too much of a junior. Ditto KENTA.

I think Shiozaki is their only hope. Pretty soon they're going to be forced to push him.

edit: Sasaki's first challenger is Yone.

I really think the days of Juniors and Heavys being in separate divisions is going to be coming to an end. An overall NOAH title might be the way to go.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

icechris posted:

I have no idea if this info is real but I was sent it by a friend whose really into Puro so I assume he copied this off one of the Puro forums.

Naked pictures of Bea Arthur and a football helmet full of cottage cheese.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Holland Oats posted:

Holy poo poo, CIMA's contract expired? What do you think he's going to do, Ditch?

CIMA jobbed to Jamie Noble on SD's Dark Match last night.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alright Ditch: You're hired by a company to create a Best of Kobashi DVD. I'm not going to make you come up with match times and stuff, but nothing can be clipped and it has to be kept to around a single disc. What goes on?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

i laughed really hard at this turn of events but i know i shouldnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Just watched Sano v. Liger from 1-31-90 and holy poo poo. So brutal so ahead of its time yet so in line with the awesome Japan was pumping out in that era.