Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

5523 in attendance for NOAH at Sumo Hall which a great number. It looked packed in there so I guess it really shows how many extra people you can fit in if you jam four people into those boxes like NJPW does instead of two. It was a great show too. Attendance wise, I expect DDT will finish ahead of them this weekend but they should comfortably beat BJW's Sumo Hall show.

It was relatively close in the end. DDT drew 5869 fans so a difference of about 400. Id say that was a good result for NOAH considering the DDT show had Kennys first match in Japan since January.

I think the configuration everyone but New Japan uses sits about 8500. Where New Japan try and squeeze in a 1000 more people or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.pwanalysis.com/entry/2020/01/03/120000

Some interesting numbers for the business in Japan in 2019. 2019 was pretty sluggish across the board (with one exception). The combined attendance was more or less the same as last year but from more shows so a decrease in average crowds.

All major promotions had a fall in overall attendance. Dragon gate went from 124k (10 percent of the market) to 110k (9 percent of the market in 2019), AJPW went from 87k (7 percent of the market) to 81k (7 percent of the market), DDT from 71k to 70k (maintaining a market share of 6 percent) and NOAH went from 59k to 55k (from 5 to 4 percent)

The exception is New Japan who grew their attendance in 2019 from 395k to 417k and increased their share of the market from 34 percent to 36 percent. Since 2012 (take this with a huge grain of salt due to the history of bullshit gates in Japan until very recently) New Japans market share has gone from 24 percent of attendance to 36 percent. With this year maybe closing off Tokyo for a period of time with the Olympics and NJPW pulling 75k across 3 days to start the year, its probably likely they increase its percentage of the live attendance market. in what will probably be another sluggish year for wrestling in Japan.

I think its probably fair to say dragon gate are the number 2 promotion in Japan.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 9, 2020

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

I love New Japan a lot but man is it sad seeing business falling for everyone else. NOAH, AJPW, Dragon Gate, they all had absolutely killer poo poo in 2019.

I'd like to hope NOAH can pick things up in 2020 with NOSAWA (side note but it is the funniest thing to me that the booker of NOAH is a guy with an ICP tattoo on his neck) in charge of booking because they've some great young guys, some killer vets, a fun Junior division. But honestly at this point NJPW just seem to be light years out in front. Hope I'm wrong, competition benefits everyone.

Just want to say that Hisame has done such a big job in making following NOAH a breeze between her blog & Twitter. Really helps to know who the wrestlers are and just give you more reasons than "good matches" to care about them.

NOAH run that big Marufiji card in 2018 that they didnt run in 2019. I think they are about on par. I was speaking to someone who also tracks attendance and they were running a bit better over the back half of the year according to him. So take that with the caveat that it was just some dude on reddit.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

These are voted on by Internet smarks. If you did a similar poll in the US, AEW/NXT/NJPW would dominate despite Raw/SmackDown getting better attendance numbers.

I remember that data you posted a couple of months ago about fan interactions on social media. It showed that it's NOAH fans who are the hardcores who watch everything.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Thats awesome ill be able to finish watching this cricket game.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Add AJPW to the list. They are following the guidelines and are off to 13/3. The show on the 7th will be cancelled

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Ajpw had the third best average attendances last year. Only DG and obviously NJPW did better. Kento was extremely successful as a draw (well relative to what they were doing) but he is being tapped out. They had growth during 2017 and 2018 and declined a little in 2019.

They just dont have the money backing them. It makes them vulnerable to the wwe.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Things are working for stardom so far. Bushiroad would have to not just send Jado down to book All Japan lol

Its obviously just a desperate attempt to keep the WWE out of Japan if true. It would be pretty funny but still a little sad because it's probably not ideal if all of Japanese wrestling is owned by two companies while the industry leader eats off more market share every year.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Dragon Gate is going live in like a minute. Its on YouTube

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

They made it very clear last year it's all but impossible for a New Japan wrestler to not win mvp when they boiled Okadas win down to gates and headlining big shows. At this point in time NJPW are miles out in that regard.

They also went with my favourite match..

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

Knowing how dire the situation can get in Japan I wonder if NJPW is running these big-venue events out of desperation to recoup the loss in revenue last year, which just bit them back as cases start to ramp up again. The Dome shows feel completely unnecessary and they'd be undercutting Dominion at best.

I'm really sorry that this has to happen but I would rather have zero wrestler/staff deaths from COVID than them risking it. The virus can really end you regardless of your physical condition if you so happen to be unlucky.

That said I haven't heard a Japanese promotion have a literal COVID outbreak on their hands, so congrats to them for doing the bare minimum...

That is 100 % why they are running the amount of shows that they are. I also am operating under the theory that venues are offering booking fee reductions based on what venues all promotions are booking so they are also trying to cash in on that

But yeah they will be chasing lost ticket sales for the next few years at a minimum

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The reality is that covid has caused a significant contraction of the Japanese wrestling market and Noah think geezers draw because Muto had a couple of good gates.

People talk about stardom doing well during the pandemic and I think it's fair to say they have but it's within the context of a struggling market. Those sumo hall shows stardom drew are impressive in 2022 but would have been one of the worst sumo hall gates in 2019 and a few smaller promotions run ryogoku that year like bjw and the wwe

I can't imagine cyberagent is getting a great return on investment right now. Bushiroad has just been breaking even with arguably (and nooj is the biggest by miles) the two biggest promotions in the country.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Stall_19 posted:

Cool I was curious about how other events in Japan were doing. Seems like everything is down but wrestling more so than other major sports.

Here's how the top 7 promotions are doing compared to how they were in 2019. Didn't realize how hard All Japan got hit, yikes.

Njpw has gone from about 55 % of ticket sales from the big 7 promotions to about 48%. Bushiroad however is around 63 % in 2022. They are quite good at promoting pro wrestling

They are in a pretty strong position with njpw starting to get some decent growth this year.

Ajpw got absolutely ruined by the pandemic. They were doing ok in 2019 relative to the other not njpw promotions. Even accounting for less shows they have had a lot of momentum snuffed out

DDT has been struggling for a long time. They've not actually grown under cyberagent. Sure a lot of that has been during the pandemic but they are clearly less relevant now than basically ever

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 24, 2022

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Douki is a maniac

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1567427414619209728?t=sQi-Qj95-3QgBEhQ3-TByQ&s=19

This will possibly be the biggest gate in Japan in 2023. I wonder who he wrestles

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lmao the crowd booing the pose off draw

Edit

Sorry that was supposed to be in the nooj thread

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

All Japan had a pretty decent 2019. We were discussing it earlier but it's hard to get a read of where they are at because they have run so few shows.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

There were rumours that njpw was bringing across a couple of outsiders next year and its not like he was shy about wanting to work a g1.

But frankly he could slot into pretty much every male promotion.

If ajpw does have an exodus that can only be bad. Ranging from no money (and the lack of shows they've run suggests things aren't great) to wwe/bushiroad/cyberfight buyout

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I'd have bet my house on okada winning mvp so that was pretty obvious.

The lack of cyberfight representation is probably the biggest thing.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Waka beat ishii, sanada and taichi

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Anyone watching the all star Junior event ?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It was a crazy fun match though

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

is Kojima still signed with New Japan, I haven't seen him there in forever

Yeah he's been on a few undercard matches during the new japan cup. At least one anyway because he wrestled aussie open

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I cannot believe people seriously tried to argue that Okada should put over this dude.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Getting the iwgp title off okada opens up the possibility of him returning the favour for Kiyomiya

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pastabreaddood/status/1657867846746271744?t=zHVXvm678L-P6bEVwDbWxw&s=19

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/metal0515/status/1666071250568085505?t=U4ge62Zfd4ToSDR_rf0FeQ&s=19

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/AshTalksPuro/status/1666753784276717568?t=WqZ4br8uhNHna4rcWJlOJg&s=19

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lol this guy

https://twitter.com/P__Wrestling/status/1666757614074560513?t=eV2P9WxsTIi1EvjpwBjqkg&s=19

In storyline the only wrestling outside of njpw he watches is nakamura matches

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

I hope everyone just turns on him & beats the poo poo out of him 5 on 1, drat disrespectful punk. Finishing with Kaito Tiger Driver '91ing his rear end. :rant:

Anyway, I'm going to try to remember to put up a Gameday Thread for the show in the morning. I think the card looks really fun.

I'm really excited for it. Will be a very fun show

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

Is Azusa Inaba related to Tomoka? I see they've teamed a fair bit in JTO.

Also happy Miyagi is back for a show, haven't seen any of her IR stuff since she left GLEAT

They are sisters

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Bonk posted:

DG is releasing a cool new series free on Youtube & DGN: A lot of the old Toryumon content never had English commentary, so they're releasing classic matches with new English comms from Jae & Ho Ho. Their first is one of the most insanely paced sprints I've ever seen, and it set the pace for trios matches going forward.

2003.8.30 - UWA World Trios Championship 4-way Elimination:
[Shin M2K] Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Kid, Kenichiro AraiŠ vs. [Crazy MAX] CIMA, SUWA, Don Fujii vs. [Do FIXER] Magnum TOKYO, Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi vs. [Italian Connection] Milano Collection A.T., YOSSINO, Kondotti Shuji

Absolute joy of a match this one

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Being time poor and living in the eastern hemisphere means it's very difficult for me to watch US wrestling. Even living +1 hours from Japan I find I can only really regularly follow the bushiroad promotions..I try to catch any matches with buzz but it's always difficult to really appreciate wrestling without the full context.

There is a lot of wrestling out there

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God what has happened now? :smith:

Yujiro Takahashi!?! :stonk:

https://twitter.com/CerooleanBlue/status/1734048562798010672?t=xCJ44ikp6O3bbZ_6mZLemA&s=19

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

That's 3 very good matches and then somebody invoked a superstition at the edge of the universe and let House of Torture in :smith:

What's interesting is the evil match imo. Nobody sane is like holy poo poo evil and yuj are wrestling Kiyomiya and a young lion on excursion get me a ticket baby. The fact it's not a good match is the most telling thing. Kiyomiya is being used on a Noah show to advance a njpw storyline he's in....

The zsj v tana match is much the same thing but Noah get beloved star tana on the card in exchange for the advertisement. Is Noah management being like bring me evil????

If bloody Ren interferes and shota materialises out of thin air to continue the program I'll be confused at what Noah gets out of this

Edit

Maybe cyberfight are huge evil fans after him v sanada did big numbers on abema

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 11, 2023

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Okada had a heap of really good gates too. That stands out as his most disappointing of the year. Him and shingo sold out (admittedly somewhat restricted ) edion like 10 days early.

The idea that ospreay is more valuable to Japanese wrestling than naito is silly. We've all been around the block we know exactly what criteria Tokyo sports uses.

They went muto show and g1 final Bing bang naito wins because okada spent the back end of the year doing gently caress all and sanada has been up and down as champ.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

https://x.com/noahglobal/status/1736711836945481995?s=20

Main event of the show is Kaito vs Ryohei Oiwa

Also there's a Gedo match so it's not all winners

I lolled when gedo came out to the war dogs theme. Imagine being there and gedo comes out

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1737434457907298448?t=5Yt49QiLC1yVnUqh5MwQvQ&s=19

The house invaded Noah

The first order of business for that big lobbying group that was recently made was "what new and exciting ways can we come together to make Kaito Kiyomiya look bad"

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Germansimp posted:

Honestly if I was Kaito at that point I would just stop selling the beatdown, tell Gedo to go gently caress himself and just leave to never wrestle in either NOAH or New Japan ever again. I mean, he was getting punked out all the time anyway, but now getting clowned on by what is well on track to be the worst loving stable in wrestling history? Just leave, gently caress it all.

Gedo isn't booking this or at the very least not without Noah agreeing. This is not comparable to the last time this happened when it was quite literally njpw booking noah. The parent companies are pretty friendly. A little too friendly if you ask me.

Noah want this for whatever reason they have or cyberagent is forcing it on them. I don't actually know what cyberagents long term plan is with noah or any of their wrestling operations. I think what they actually want out of wrestling is njpw content to stick on abema lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

OK are we sure this isn't some joke. I realise for some reason this video was played at a ridiculous hour in the morning for japan but there is nothing in the Tokyo sports where the tanahashi news went up within seconds with the njpw line they wanted to run. It was a very silly way of breaking the news that they will be working with the wwe.

It's hard to take completely at face value