Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Where can I find a decent matte filter for a 15.6 inch laptop screen?I totally understand that glossy makes colors brighter and all but I just want to be able to use this laptop I've had for months while I'm near a window.

It's hard to search for these and I don't know if the ones I see are any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Epileptic Nazi posted:

I think this is hardware. I've come to ask about USB extension cables, and "USB passthrough" stuff. I'm buying a super nice "gaming" mouse after actually beginning to play games enough to notice the response time of my 40 dollar logitech wireless mouse. Do usb extension cables (Think like, 1 - 2 meters sorta range) or pass-through ports (As in, my monitor has a usb port on it, and a usb cable coming out the back of it for my PC, which I assume is just a pass-through) add any latency to a mouse/keyboard/device? Slower transfer speeds for a USB hard drive? Any effect at all?

Infinite thanks for any and all info!

Once you go over 15 meters I think it is, or 6 intermediary hubs, almost everything starts slowing down. Additionally, you need to have at least one active repeater or hub every 5 meters on USB 2.0 or 1.x devices in order to allow the signal to work - a device on a 1 meter cord, plugged into a 5 meter extension, plugged into your computer, will most likely have trouble functioning.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe $100-$200 at the moment. They made about 5 million of those and there's still a lot of them around.

If you have the right software (Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, Carmen Sandiego) it might be fun for kids. Then again they'll probably think it's lame as gently caress and want their iPads back.

And $100 shipping on top of that to move all that stuff. It's better off just being kept, and you can even build your own cable or buy one premade to hook up the serial port on it and a modern PC and use ADTPRo to transfer files and disk images onto it.
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw1hfZ-Bc4g

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sri.Theo posted:

I've just bought a new laptop that's being delivered today - can I use it while its being charged for the first time? Or should I wait for it to charge fully first?

All that matters is leaving it plugged in to charge for the 3-12 hours the manual says. Using it while this happens won't harm it, but do try not to unplug it during the initial charge.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KelvereseAysen posted:

This might seem like an odd request, but googling for it only ever found the opposite of what I want.

I want to transmit television from my DirectTV box to my laptop over the wireless network. Something I can attach the video-out of my DirectTV box to that will let me watch whatever channel I have it set to over the wireless network on a laptop so I can, for example, watch BBC America out on the back porch.

Is this a thing?

May as well buy a Slingbox. It both streams what you get on tv to your computer on the network, as well as streams to you online so you could watch something on vacation or at work. The Slingbox includes stuff so you can change channels on a cable or satellite box, go through the menus, etc.

I mean it might be overkill, but it will definitely do it for you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

andyf posted:

Yeah, this is essentially what I would call my 'backup plan' - I have an HDMI port on the monitor I use my PC on, so I could hook up the Xbox that way, and run a digital-out to the receiver, which would give me toggable PC / Xbox video and sound.
That's definitely something I can do right now, but because I literally hate the horribly slow input switching on the monitor, I was wondering how I could patch the xbox straight into the PC and have, I dunno, some kind of resizable or fullscreen DirectShow window that I could have as a usual alt-tabbable app on the PC, so I could literally pause the game and switch straight into Outlook if some important mail came in, something like that. Am I just wanting too much? :smith:

Anything that ran it through your computer itself would introduce unpleasant input lag, just if you were wondering.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chikimiki posted:

I think the easiest way to share drives between Mac and Windows is using FAT32 for formatting, but that's not without defaults...

If you're running XP with a patch or Vista or higher on the Windows side, and Snow Leopard or higher on the OS X side, you should use exFAT for this, actually. It's the crossplatform compatibility of FAT32 but without all the file system corruption risks and inability to handle large files.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain Corny posted:

Hi guys. My new motherboard has no IDE connectors, only SATA, but I have a few harddrives that are IDE and I want to have them in there for storing media and other low priority stuff. What should I do?

Buy a PCI Express IDE controller card like this:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Controller-Adapter-PEX2IDE/dp/B000YAX13Y

That one's got only one connector so it'll take two drives.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rick posted:

I'm running a windows 7 machine that won't boot when I plug in a new OCZ Solid 3 SSD , even if I specifically select my drive with the OS on it (boot order is set to boot to the OS drive booting after my optical anyway).

If I plug it in after windows starts up I can detect it in device manager, I can update its firmware with the manufacturer's tools, I can format it, assign a drive letter, whatever. But when I restart, the system won't start. If I unplug the SSD and restart the system the machine starts up fine.

Any clues?

What happens if you try to install Windows to the SSD? (I assume you are currently using it as extra storage)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

scanlonman posted:

What's the best way to connect TWO external monitors to a laptop with one VGA port?

What's the best adapter, or method?

None. I mean you can use a splitter but that degrades quality and would only give you two monitors showing the same thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

scanlonman posted:

So, no "true" way to have two monitors running 1080p?

Yeah not a chance. Your laptop's video card wouldn't be able to handle that either, in all likelihood, even with the proper ports.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Farecoal posted:

So, reporting back with my 6670 Radeon HD connected to my 1080p TV with a HDMI cable. It works, but there's a black box all around the display and everything is really muddy, all the colors bleed together and stuff. Is there some obvious thing I'm missing?

Your video card driver probably has a default setting to prevent overscan, which scrunches everything into the middle. Go into the settings, there should be a way to set that to "0%" or something like that to end that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The rumors have been that:
1) The next Xbox is in 2013
2) Supposedly both the next Xbox and next Playstation will have AMD graphics
3) Supposedly the next Xbox and Playstation will run on x86-64 and might keep reduced cost/size chipsets from the current gen in them to maintain backwards compatibility

But as I said, just rumors.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

USB wireless adapters are not only fine, they're often preferable. The inside of a computer case is a storm of interference, and rear plugs like analog speaker wires are worse. USB adapters make it a lot easier to move the antenna away from that stuff, resulting in a better signal.

E: plus you could always get a PCIe adapter and put it in the bottom slot. Wouldn't get too much interference down there, either.

Honestly the best is a USB adapter that also has the ability to screw on an external antenna. This allows the most leeway for positioning the antenna for a stable signal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Natron posted:

I've got a weird one...

Recently, my girlfriend's niece needed a new laptop to take to school, and she's only ever used a mac. Her family has no money, so we decided to get her a used Dell Mini 9 and I would turn it into a Hackintosh.

I was getting ready to install everything, made my bootloader and put an OSX image on an 8Gig USB stick, but now the USBs are all dead. None of them recognize anything, even on boot.

Now, this all happened after an XP update, so I tried everything I could think of. I deleted the USB controller drivers, reinstalled new ones, made sure the BIOS had USB boot enabled (I did this first, don't worry), and a hundred other things. I tried booting from the built in SD Card reader, which is impossible, and I even went as far as to clear some space of the 16 gig SSD and use Wubi to install Ubuntu onto it, and still no luck. I just finished taking the goddamned thing apart and putting it all back together to make sure no connections were loose. I'm at a loss.

The worst part of it is that my old phone, the first thing I ever connected to it, still works. How the gently caress is that possible? Any help is greatly appreciated, we spent 80 bucks buying a new battery and charger for it already, so I don't just want to scrap it.

Having used Dell Mini 9 hackintosh before, let me tell you, even if you get it set up, it will be unstable, incompatible/buggy with a lot of software, and slow as balls.

Windows XP is the only OS that really runs well on it. Stick to that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cardboard Fox posted:

This is a rather simple question, but after reading dozens of conflicting opinions around the internet I've decided to ask you goons.

Is it better to leave your computer on or off at all times?

I generally always leave my computer on without putting it to sleep. I've done this with my last computer over a 5 years span and it's still working just fine. Since I have an SSD now should I maybe consider turning this new computer off every night or possibly putting it to sleep instead of just turning off the LCD?

The one thing you shouldn't do is frequent on/off cycles. Like, don't turn it on for 30 minutes, turn it off when you're done, come back in another 30 minutes to use it again for a short period, etc.

Also I'd advise just having your computer auto-sleep or auto-standby after like an hour or two hours of inactivity. That way, you don't have to remember to put it to sleep or turn it off yourself, and you won't be prone to having frequent on/off cycles like you might with a shorter wait time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Treytor posted:

My grandma called today and wanted me to build her a new desktop. She wants as few cables as possible on her desk, understandably. I'm going to build a system from a barebone zotac box (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XYJLY0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) which I've had good experiences with in the past. The problem is that I'd like to eliminate her old desktop computer speakers as well.

She doesn't need anything particularly loud or fancy, as the most important thing is to avoid clutter. We're not Mac people, and we want to save money so an iMac is out of the question for her. Is there any way to add an internal speaker to a barebone system?

Perhaps something that connects to a IFPA / AC97 motherboard header? Does this even exist? Googling brings up nothing, but perhaps I am just looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks!

You know, depending on how barebones and wire-free you want to get, you might consider a refurbished HP all-in-one like this http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=BV551AARABA&vid=195&src=F which is $491.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SlayVus posted:

You can use any 360 controller that is corded. Wireless controller require a wireless receiver for the PC, which cost like $20-$30 by itself and some games don't support wireless controllers.

Any game that supports the wired controller should support wireless just fine. Although some games that allow multiple players won't understand when the receiver has two controllers connected to it, so you'd need one wired and one wireless or two receivers, etc.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

USB 3.0 makes practically no difference for the performance of a platter hard drive. Don't worry about it.

I got a WD MyPassport with USB 3.0. If I plug it into my laptop in the usb 3.0 port it transfers at ~55 megabytes per second. If I plug it in the shared USB 2.0/eSATAp port, it only does 30 megabytes per second.

Seems way more than no difference to me. Of course if it used eSATAp instead I'd use that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red_Fred posted:

All this talk of USB 3.0 makes me remember my external drives with eSATA. I'm pretty sure I never got that to work as it seems the drive needed to be attached to the computer at boot and needed to be powered by USB so it was difficult to tell if it was just connected with USB and not eSATA.

Is there a way I can use check to see if it is actually using eSATA? Is it worth it? I understand eSATA should in theory be faster than USB 2.0 (about 4x?) but in reality it may not be.

eSATA should be exactly as fast as plugging it in to a regular SATA port in your computer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Stupid short question: When you need to update drivers for a graphics card or sound card or whatever, do you have to uninstall the original first then load the new ones? Or can you just load the new drivers?

Usually you don't need to, and proactively removing them before adding the new can make it annoying to install the new.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Well yes, but what is allowable leakage on a microwave? I'd imagine it'd be well under 1W as well.

I don't think there's any standard, but a microwave that leaks too much is useless for cooking, albeit harmless.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

As it turns out, the FDA limit is 1mW/cm2 at 5 cm before purchase and 5mw/cm2 at 5 cm at any time after.

I guess if your SNR is poor it could have an effect? Or maybe cheap microwaves are just rampantly out of FDA guidelines.

Mostly, don't have your router near your microwave or have your microwave in the middle of the path from your router to your device.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nothing, but I figured it'd be nice to drop a bunch of ISOs on there that I sometimes use seeing that nothing I have has an optical drive and using unetbootin and what not seems unnecessary if that device wasn't a figment of my imagination.

No big loss if it is though.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

YUMI now lets you create a USB stick that gives you a menu of different ISOs to boot from off a single USB stick.

With it, I now have a 16 GB USB stick that can boot any of these as needed:
1) Windows 7 Installer
2) Windows Vista Installer
3) Hiren's Boot CD
4) Backtrack 5
5) Knoppix
6) Kubuntu 11.10 (persistent storage live)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bergeoisie posted:

My mother has around 100 3.5" floppies filled with sensitive client data that she would like to dispose of securely. Is there a good way to erase the contents of these disks before trashing them (keeping in mind that she no longer has a floppy drive)? Would magnets work?

Break them open, rip the magnetic disk itself off of the metal hub thing, and feed the magnetic disks through a paper shredder. This will guarantee data destruction.

You can then swipe a magnet over the pile of disk shreds to be extra sure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dogen posted:

Get a good shredder and just shred the whole drat thing

That's nowhere near as much fun.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's really not much reason to believe that upgrading the RAM would have had a noticeable decrease in battery life. I'd bet anything the actual reason it wasn't upgraded was so Apple could maintain a slightly higher profit margin.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

In addition to GB and GiB, the process of formatting takes up a non-negligible portion of the drive. An unformatted floppy disk is 1.5mb, formatted, it's 1.44mb.

Actually, unformatted high density 3.5 inch floppies are approximately 2 MB, and formatted they are about 1.38 MiB.

This is why in the 90s, Microsoft had a special way to format them, DMF, that could turn any "1.44 MB" floppy disk into 1680 KB, and there were other formats that could make them hold as much as 1886 KB. The catch was, these higher-storage formats usually meant you could only have a few files on each disk (though they could be large).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Busy Bee posted:

I have a question about replacing my Comcast Motorola modem.

I currently pay $7 a month for the Motorola Surfboard SB5101 - http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Surfboard-SB5101-Cable-Modem/dp/B000JV9LUK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333431082&sr=1-4

I can either replace it with the same one (linked above) or possibly this one?

Motorola Surfboard SB6121 - http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333431082&sr=1-1

I currently pay for Comcast Performance internet which is downloads up to 20 Mbps, and uploads up to 4 Mbps.

My question is, would I see any improvement if I decide to pay $30 more for the SB6121 with DOCSIS 3.0?

If you get a DOCSIS 3 compatible modem, you'll be more ready for future developments in cable tech. If you buy a DOCSIS 2 only modem now, then you might have to replace it in a few years depending on what Comcast does.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IT Guy posted:

Just a note, if you have UAC turned on

That shouldn't be an "if".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Duke Chin posted:

Here's a short little question that I couldn't really think where to ask soooo, I guess here.

I want to get a little media center-style keyboard/trackball combo thing that MUST have a windows key (to swap application-in-active-window for dual monitors) and was thinking about this lil guy:

http://usb.brando.com/usb-2-4ghz-rf-wireless-multimedia-tiny-keyboard_p00678c034d015.html

Ayyone have any experience with anything like these? Do they have lovely range? Do you know of something better?

[edit - just noticed that 10M range, that's plenty and one plus going for it...]

There's also the Logitech Dinovo Mini, which does the same thing, but that would be about 3x the price:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hamburglar posted:

No, but a lot of TVs do not do 1080p over component even though the TV is 1080p and component is capable of doing 1080p. Don't ask me why that's the case, though.

It's because 1080p is just about at the limit of what analog component video can handle. Rather then spend extra money on ensuring the TVs can receive it properly, manufacturers usually only test and support up to 1080i, since after all, there are very few 1080p sets and 1080p-outputting devices that won't also have HDMI on 'em. Similarly, most devices that can output 1080p, and can output over component, will rarely output 1080p over the component link, again because it's close to the limit of what can be handled and the manufacturer can save money by not bothering.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks, I am surprised there's any money to be saved since the TV is already 1080p. My TV also only does 768p over VGA, which is also weird because I know VGA can do 1080p just fine. I see what you're saying though; how many people have 1080p devices that don't have HDMI and all, but the XBox 360 has millions of units out there 1080p capable with no HDMI port.

Funny thing about those 360s. The original models, which lacked HDMI, were the most vulnerable to that red ring of death stuff, and the replacements Microsoft sent back were usually HDMI-equipped models, especially after 2007. The high failure rate means that many or even most of the pre-HDMI Pro and Core models have been replaced with HDMI-capable ones.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Silver Alicorn posted:

Weird, it came in a lot of old computer/office equipment. There was also a switch to share a single phone line, for modems I guess. I'd assume you could maybe hook up an ADB keyboard/mouse and share it with multiple Apple IIGSes though, since they daisy chain.

It says Data Transfer Switch on it, so I'm thinking it's probably using the old Macintosh/Apple II serial ports that used the round mini-din plugs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Floodixor posted:

I bought a 16gig Nook Tablet because I knew that I would have the ability to convert it to an Android tablet with a simple SD card.

The SD capacity that are advertised are in the same increments that the Nook comes in (there's an 8 gig / 16 gig / 32 gig). At first, I thought I had to buy the correlating gig space SD card with the Nook model I have (which is the 16 gig version, as stated). But is this actually required, or am I just being presented the option to have more memory on the SD card in addition to what's already there?

You can put any size you want in there, up to 32 GB.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Experto Crede posted:

Trying to build a system using a headless laptop as the base. Works fine with the original LCD plugged in, but no joy with just a VGA monitor.

Anyone know what, if anything, I can do to get this going? It's a compaq cq70 if that helps.

Bet you anything there's a key combo you need to press or BIOS setting to go through.

Generally the key combo would cycle through options of Laptop LCD Only -> Laptop LCD and External Monitor Simultaneous > External Monitor Only

On that laptop, it appears that Fn-F4 is the combo to switch up displays for that, so try that.

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there such a thing as an adapter to turn a standard USB connection into a wireless link? Like, a transmitter that I can plug into my PC, and a receiver with a USB-B plug to attach to the peripheral? Is this even possible?

All searches for permutations of "USB Wireless Adapter" are coming up with wifi dongles.

People make these but the uses tend to be limited. Generally, people only manage to get USB 1.1 speeds (very slow, really only good for keyboard/mouse/slow storage) out of them, the range is limited, and they're flaky.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there any reason for Nvidia/ATI to continue building 32bit drivers in the next year? 2 Years?

Some people still have older computers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

Do any 32bit only machines out there need new GPUs?

Yes, probably.

quote:

Thats what the old drivers are for. Chances are they aren't even fixing or optimizing stuff for older GPUs anyway so its not like you'll much of anything with newer drivers for older GPUs. Old enough to be in a 32bit restricted system.

You realize that Windows 2000 was still supported by new nVidia drivers up til 2010, and new AMD drivers until 2007 right? It's more than a little early to drop support for 32 bit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

Its a bit of a catch 22. Who's using WinXP, Vista32 and Win7-32 that really needs GPU driver 'support' beyond what's already out there? Coporations? Education? People running office apps won't. Digital content creation has mostly if not entirely switched to 64bit. Edu-Science/Engineering is a mixed bag but I would guess they need 64bit more than anyone else for the memory. Whats left? Home users?

Games are still being released now that run on 32 bit XP, new cards are still being released that support 32 bit. If both of those end tomorrow it'd still be only fair to support those for another few years.

Steam hardware survey, which is a pretty reliable source of info on the computers people who need video driver updates run, says that 34% of users are still on a 32 bit version of Windows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

Thats what I meant by a catch 22. Besides, whats the worst that would happen if 32bit graphics driver support ended right now? Gamers would be stuck with whatever drivers as of mid 2012. Big whoop. People would whine for a bit, realize 32bit is dead and upgrade.

That's not a catch 22 at all. What would happen is things would be broken for people buying stuff right now, which is not acceptable.

64 bit computers didn't become the majority until the beginning of last year. It is simply unacceptable to lock your customers out this early. It's a good thing people like you aren't in charge of driver releases at the gpu companies!

• Locked thread