Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's a steering damper, trikes and sidecars shake like mad

got it. I've just never seen a steering damper located there, and hacks w/o leading link forks are hard enough to turn as is. I suppose it does save room up at the controls for cup holders though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a weird place to put it but I'm sure there's some esoteric reason they did that.

Or it might just be physically impossible to put one anywhere else on a wing like that?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Here's another fun one. I was pulled up at a light next to my coworker in a van. We were both turning right and friendly coworker let me go around in front of them. This apparently REALLY upset some random dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1X1eDw2hR0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"I hope your fuckin boots get holes in 'em" is kind of an adorable curse

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How big is that side by side next to it? A goldwing isn’t a small bike and it looks tiny next to it.

Didn’t really notice the side by side being egregiously large, but the image is taken on a slope (low left, high right) which might be playing with the perspective a bit?

In other Honda related news, didn’t expect to run into my bike’s big brother on the ferry today :3:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's really cute

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Facebook groups dedicated to extinct East German transportation technology are wild

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
those things could barely pull the sidecar, tacking on a caravan and hauling it through the woods is honestly kind of impressive

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

The red one looks like some sort of air cooled two stroke monstrosity. That must be fun. hit the power band and then have it pull hard to the right at the same time. Probably took some skill.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Honda VFR400R NC30 (I think I got all the letters in there) restoration that someone posted a while ago is done now. That was a very thorough teardown and rebuild drat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatFcVsmC0Y

Playlist with all of them here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLsfVFsOgU7vikyBi0j_HrOSqOEsPPwvc

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Honda VFR400R NC30 (I think I got all the letters in there) restoration that someone posted a while ago is done now. That was a very thorough teardown and rebuild drat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatFcVsmC0Y

Playlist with all of them here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLsfVFsOgU7vikyBi0j_HrOSqOEsPPwvc

Yup, greatly enjoyed this series.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I guarantee you, most of these "extinct" motorcycles in the pictures, are still on the road somewhere. Probably in Russia. And you can buy a brand new Ural today, which is very similar to that Ural from 50 years ago

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was mostly talking about the pictured MZ's. There are plenty still around but the factory has been shut down since 2008 and hadn't really produced anything of value since the early 90's.
Also those old Czech Jawas :allears:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
One of my favorite youtube fabricators is building a fat tire minibike from scratch:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkmF7FAZBzkVI6oy8-0WGe6uq6fAG7K3G

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Facebook groups dedicated to extinct East German transportation technology are wild

If reincarnation is real I want to come back as this guy

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Allen Millyard's latest project, the Norton Nemesis prototype, is something else. That fork/brake/fender casting is just :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBwMn1ookQE

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Stumbled on this gem of riding prowess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Vrr_0gPoo

What's keeping him from washing out the front and/or highsiding out of every turn? BMWs traction control? You can see the full dash and I don't see any lights popping up but don't know how TC alerts for most bikes if it does at all

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Stumbled on this gem of riding prowess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Vrr_0gPoo

What's keeping him from washing out the front and/or highsiding out of every turn? BMWs traction control? You can see the full dash and I don't see any lights popping up but don't know how TC alerts for most bikes if it does at all

Can't speak to what's going on traction-wise, but speaking of seeing his full dash - this makes me feel better about giving up on riding inline fours and never getting out of first gear.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 19, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is some abysmal shifting. Holy poo poo.

I could be convinced that the bike was an automatic from that video.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at first i was like "what the hell? did his engine just die?"

then i was all "no, he's coasting with the clutch pulled in...is he trying to be quiet when he goes through this little town?"

then i realized no, he just...rides like that. coasting on the clutch and constantly running up and down the range trying to figure out what gear he should be in. go to 7:00 and watch the gear indicator.

just get a maxi-scooter dude. it can still be a bmw :nallears:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 19, 2024

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

That was the bonus I left for everyone to find. nice topper on the overall experience. It is painful watching the bike shuddering and trying to fight through his sudden jerky inputs. Guy has years of videos up too, this is not a new rider. People like this tend to crash themselves out of the game quick, so I'm thinking modern electronics props them up enough to keep them out of the hospital/morgue?

My favorite moment is probably 3:07 but there are many of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Vrr_0gPoo&t=187s

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

at first i was like "what the hell? did his engine just die?"

then i was all "no, he's coasting with the clutch pulled in...is he trying to be quiet when he goes through this little town?"

then i realized no, he just...rides like that. coasting on the clutch and constantly running up and down the range trying to figure out what gear he should be in. go to 7:00 and watch the gear indicator.

just get a maxi-scooter dude. it can still be a bmw :nallears:

Love to pop it into first at 60 mph. The combination of clutch coasting and low gear sky high revs is bizarre. You can just pick one bad riding habit.

Am I crazy for basically never being in 1 except coming off a stop? Have I been doing it wrong the whole time?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

ought ten posted:

Love to pop it into first at 60 mph. The combination of clutch coasting and low gear sky high revs is bizarre. You can just pick one bad riding habit.

Am I crazy for basically never being in 1 except coming off a stop? Have I been doing it wrong the whole time?
Definitely not, 1st isn't very usable on a lot of bikes for much, unless you're riding a big bike with tall gearing. I'm slow as poo poo and on a CBR600RR I'm in second or third the whole time riding roads like that, first is doable but isn't smooth.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am a novice and a dumbass and that still hurt to watch.

How many new cars has this guy bought the owner of his favorite shop? How much has he shaved off the life of the service manager?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

look how much he's leaning tho bro. i think yall bunch of jealous haters....

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

look how much he's leaning tho bro. i think yall bunch of jealous haters....

:rice:

I mean I would genuinely love to ride that fast around those corners, preferably on a closed course with big runouts. I'm not brave enough. Unless he's some kind of body position savant I think it comes back to what the OP said: traction control. Maybe it's not bravery I need but more willingness to take on monthly payments.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I imagine he is leaning the bike right over but keeping his body upright on the opposite side.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

To be honest I’m a little nervous to go to the track next month with the 600 I bought and haven’t ridden. But then I watch a video like this with an absolute moron on a much more powerful bike not crashing and I feel better. But then I remember I am not a moron and will actually keep the bike in the powerband and be going faster than 60mph and I get nervous again :ohdear:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

I imagine he is leaning the bike right over but keeping his body upright on the opposite side.

Police learn to ride this way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Geekboy posted:

I am a novice and a dumbass and that still hurt to watch.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Police learn to ride this way.

They also ride Harleys in your country so probably not too concerned about catching up with things

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They also wear horse riding gear here, so not a great template to copy.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My favorite moment is probably 3:07 but there are many of them

Really loved the "Whooooa :stonklol:"

I haven't seen someone that consistently bad without crashing in a while. Good find.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Electronic aids are incredibly powerful at saving idiot lives.

The guy in the video is a prime example of someone who jumped on too big of a motorcycle, before learning how to ride properly. He's absolutely scared shitless of all the bikes he ever owned, but he keeps going up in displacement and horsepower with every new purchase. He's probably surrounded by people who do not know any better either. If you want to interact with them, just log into whatever superbike specific form, there will be hordes of those idiots arguing against statistics and common sense.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Not appropriate at the speeds that guy is riding but works for stuff like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pVoXGGXRl5k&pp=ygUbamFwYW5lc2UgbW90b3JjeWNsZSBwb2xpY2Ug

Of course these folks have more skills in their pinkies than that guy.

Idk it’s mostly sad I think that we don’t have a better system of teaching people and then it becomes all about throwing as many electronic gizmos at vehicles.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 20, 2024

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
cops riding full dress harleys really slow in parking lots by pushing the bike around underneath them is not even in the same zip code as what this guy is doing

MSF teaches you to push the bike around underneath you and counterweight w/ your body to make tight turns at parking lot speeds, they do not tell you to do that when you're going 2x the indicated speed in a corner on the street

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://youtu.be/QJG7SiPg9Ek?si=QB4o8oO09H_-sHlb

Goldwing off-road adventures, completely mind blowing. Especially since they're bombing through barely accessible wilderness with nothing other than what's on the bike. YOLO at its finest

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

drat, is there anything a Goldwing can't do?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

drat, is there anything a Goldwing can't do?

No. That's what makes them so good.

I've been seriously contemplating getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've been contemplating a GL11-1200 with square luggage and Vetter fairing