Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The headlights remind me of the robots in Descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anyone know what's going on at the top of the airbox just behind and above the filter? Like some sort of valve or something. The intake 'runner' itself is also amazingly long, almost like a car; I would've expected something much shorter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So it has two sets of injectors? Seems bizarre to have a set before the throttlebody and a set immediately after.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The principle is identical to variable-length runners in a car, just executed differently; I've never seen it in actuality though. I'll have to do some reading about the higher injectors though, it amazes me the benefits are enough that it overcomes the cost of adding an entire separate bank, wiring, airbox space etc etc

Cycle Asylum>Fuel injector science chat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

I can't stand this style of seat but other than that it's a cool hybrid of the XB and tuber/XR look.

More like a panigale/Buell hybrid :p They've done well to hide the reinforcement that surely runs along the top of the engine to stop it folding in the middle. It's almost like a honda hornet; I'd love it. Probably heavier than it looks though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Drum brakes are fine as long as you don't have to stop any time soon.

Source: hit the back of a Nissan using drum brakes

How did you hit a drum brake equipped car? :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ATCATT. All the cheer all the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A number of them aren't in russia at all :colbert:

Makes me reconsider ever visiting my birthland. Also, the guy with the electric laydown bicycle thing :wtc:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

might as well be one of those ridiculous things they make on American Chopper.

To me it's indistinguishable, same 'design' ethos with different parts and proportions plugged in. It appeals to the same mentality, just in a different clique of wannabe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Me too, actually. One of my riding neurosis. I'd forgotten where it came from until you said that.

Meanwhile: The internet and gopros are awesome. I was poking thru maps looking for roads to hit up this year in Daniel Boone Forest and I went to youtube to search for some. The first one pulls up some alright video of a cruiser plopping along, it looked pretty good. The second one came up with this video, a guy on a VFR doing a decent pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pa3ld-Aigg

Don't expect anything amazing out of the video, it's just a dude riding a road, but it's still amazing to me that I can do all of this on a computer. Find a road and see it run at a decent pace with about 15 minutes of effort.

I just tested this theory by searching on youtube for a country road very dear to my heart about 20km out of town and, sure enough, someone has repeatedly ridden it with a gopro. I don't feel special anymore :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did this guy just sort of not bother judging how sharp the corner was, then understeer into the ditch? Or is the camera making it seem that way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

He gave up the thinking thing well before that turn.

By buying a gixxer.

:v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

It's not so much understeer as it is poor line choice making him run wide. Turns in really early and just totally fucks himself by doing that.

This is what I meant sorry. To me, understeer on a bike = improper line/too much speed/not enough lean.

I've never actually seen a bike understeer in the automotive sense, with the front wheel sledging outward (lowsides don't count), although I've owned a few which had a front end soft enough that adding throttle mid-corner made them 'push' toward the outside (sv650 for one).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Continuing in this vein, often I find that I psychologically cannot force myself to lean the bike over any further. Intellectually I know for a fact that it will lean over and the tyres will grip and things will be fine, but something in my lizard brain starts to scream that THE TYRES WONT GRIP AND YOU'LL LOWSIDE YOU FOOL and the sensation is so paralyzing that I can feel it holding me back from cornering better. But I can't overcome it? How do you fix this. Currently the sort of bike I'm riding determines the psychological threshold; sport bikes feel much more confidence-inspiring and so on, yet I know I could never make myself scrape the pegs on a harley or similar, despite intellectually knowing that I'd barely need to lean over at all to make it happen.

E/N CA edition.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My chicken strips are about half an inch wide, I've been riding for about 4 years so I'm fully aware of the concepts of counter-steering etc. My problem, as someone else said earlier, is worrying aboutlack of mechanical grip because of road imperfections, being unable to trust the tyres and so on. I know intellectually what I have to do, I just can't stop thinking about the possibility of crashing. I've never had a corner-related crash so I'm not sure why I think this way. Good advice about line selection though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

What do you ride?

Modern bike and modern sports tires, you've got way more grip than you think. Don't go stupid on wet or cold roads, but otherwise, just trust the bike. Grab some leathers and knee pucks and just push on that handlebar. You paid for the full tire, use it.

SV650 K4. Not the best bike I've owned by far, but it's what circumstance has left me with and I'll take an average bike over no bike any day. I'll just have to force myself to push harder I guess; maybe I'm just not used to the front end being so crap. It just feels like the front end will sledge outward and crash me if I push it any harder; I know that's probably in my head.

Trackdays are difficult to attend around here because the track requires you to have one piece leathers, which are expensive and I don't have.

Do shinko and pirelli angel constitute modern sport tyres? Genuinely curious because I've read that on the road, most of the time it's impossible to take advantage of a proper sport tyre and that sticky sport tourers are enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some sort of shinko on the rear, pirelli angel front. They came with the bike and have heaps of life left so I've kept them. My strips are a fair bit bigger than that, the part of the rear tyre which is totally unworn is about the thickness of my thumb. I've spoken to a couple of people who are A. much better riders than me and B. have ridden my bike and they both said that it doesn't have much more to give, but I find that hard to believe.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 16, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The front is more worn so I'll take that gamble and get another shinko when it croaks, see what happens.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I need that. So...badly...

Can't ride it in the rain though, I've never understood that about bikes like that. If everything is meant to be functional, why don't the air filters have rain protection so I can ride when it isn't perfect sunshine?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that a pilot road or pilot tour? I almost got a set before I sold my last bike, how do you find them in general? Do they wear very quickly?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I ask because I ride 60km daily to get to work and back so I want something that handles well without turning rectangle over the kind of mileage I do. But this isn't the tyre thread so I probably should stop derailing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kwakka=Kawasaki
Yammy=Yamaha
Suzy=Suzuki
Fazza=Ferrari
Porker=Porsche
Subie=Subaru

It goes on

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In nz a variation on kwakka is 'saki. SACK-ee.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This would be orgasmic if it had a more normal headlight instead of a medical eyesight tester.

As it stands it's merely perfect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also what is the purpose of those 'wave' rotors on a sportbike? Is it just to look cool (it doesn't), or is there meant to be some sort of performance benefit?

The last bike I rode which had them had terrible brake feel when slowing from high speed, it wasn't a shudder like warped rotors but rather a grinding, like holding a power tool or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

I used to ride a 650 single and now ride a 1000 twin. With all that engine braking you don't tend to think about brakes that much.

I've never really understood this. Having ridden a couple of 1000 twins, I'd certainly prefer them to have awesome brakes instead of crap ones. Strong engine braking is fine and dandy when you're doing 60km/h stuck behind a camry but if you really want to use a powerful bike you most certainly need powerful brakes, irrespective of engine configuration. Never on my friend's VTR1000 did I think 'geez this could have a brake off a ninja 250 and it wouldn't matter because I have all that engine braking'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

even a ninja250 engine breaks well.

I won't say anything :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My understanding is that in a race situation you don't want lots of engine braking, hence why slipper clutches exist. Maybe the EBR ECM has a hold-open program for the throttle to reduce engine braking? I can't see any way an ecu would affect this otherwise because it can't physically crack open the throttlebodies (I'm assuming a buell doesn't have fly by wire throttle).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

Yep that's the one, thanks!

Honestly, I don't get this. What is it meant to be, styling-wise? It has chrome fenders and bits here and there, but then cast alloy rearsets like a hornet or monster, a retro style tank+seat+controls but modern-looking plastic shrouding covering the final drive and EFI. Looks like a random mashup of things honda think are heritage or something, combined with a massive dollop of honda's true heritage, which is 'hey guys lets be sensible here'.

I say this as a multiple honda owner and fan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's interesting about that 750 is that it's actually trying to be modern, whereas the modern cb1100 is trying to be a type of retro style that never existed. If they just made an entirely MODERN looking bike with classic features it would look far better. So no chrome, black bars and clamps and frame, wheels that aren't a poor approximation of the classic five spokes and so on. I don't hate it, it just leaves me cold.

As a contrast, this is the same idea done correctly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Kawasaki and Honda were going for different things. Kawi tried to take a modern sportbike and make a few compromises for throwback looks, with the Zephyr, Z-rex and at least first-gen Z1000 as points on that spectrum. The ZRX is a very high-performance motorcycle and with suspension work is a heavy but very capable street/track bike. Of course, it's water cooled, which helps.

Is this really true? Because I've had a hard-on for a zrx1200 for ages and they're cheap in my area but the reportedly crap handling and carbs have always put me off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

snail posted:

He's leaning out, locked inside arm.

What do you mean here? I want to not suck at motorbikes and I don't really see it in the video.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

snail posted:

(Sorry, another wall of text.)

Locking the arms means the rider has to move their whole torso to turn the bars, rather than pushing and pulling using free elbow movement. As bikes countersteer, locked arms means shoulders turn. The inside shoulder has to push forward, and in order to do that, they brace against the pushing arm and their torso moves out of the corner.

This has the effect of keeping their body vertical, which pushes the bike down into the corner producing more lean on the bike. Leaning the bike further means rolling the bike further onto the tyre edge, reducing available grip. This is why racers hang off a bike through a corner, to move the balance point of the bike off the bike, in order to keep the bike more upright. Bikes like being upright, that's their natural stable state.

That's not to say you should be hanging off the bike on the road (especially as a newbie). If you're doing that, you're probably going too fast.

Some of the other videos on rnickeymouse's channel show what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBB5HC7izfc(here's my content) contains a number of good ones. If you compare the two videos, you'll see these people have almost a 90 degree bend in their arms, and their bikes are more upright, far more stable, and I can guarantee going a lot faster. They are the more extreme examples though, but you can still apply the same theory that works into more advanced riding.

A technique I teach newbies is to rock on their buttcheeks (which is pretty much a parroting of the technique I've been taught in all my riding schools, be it track or advanced street riding). In sequence, it's pretty much:

0) Are your arms bent and can you flap them like a chicken? If not, relax the grip.
1) Decide on your line through the corner.
2) Make sure the ball of your inside foot is on the peg. Outside foot, hooked up with the boot heel. This keeps your foot off the road if you're going to lean a long way, and provides a hold through the outside boot.
3) Rock on your butt onto the cheek that's going to be inside the corner.
4) Keeping your arms loose, start your braking using your knees to hold the tank if you need to.
5) Release the brakes, and initiate the turn following the line you decided on in 1) by looking at the line you want to follow. Don't look at the ground in front of your bike. Look a far ahead as you can remember and that makes sense to you. If you're out-riding your vision and memory, once again, going too fast.
6) Stay on that butt cheek until you're upright after the corner.
7) Sit flat on the seat again.

From rocking on your butt through a corner, it's a straight progression to hanging off the bike for foolysik MotoGP-stylez cornering. The amount you'll move on the seat changes.

That's extremely helpful! Thank you. There should really be a thread about riding tips or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitramster posted:

Just go to a riding school. "Tips" are pointless, you might get 10% out of what an actual coach can teach you. Think about it: golfing, you get a pro to teach you a swing; any team sport, needs a coach to teach you where to look, footwork, shot movements; Skiing/snowboarding, you can watch your friends for an entire season but 1 or 2 sessions with a coach will tell you what you're doing wrong and get you a whole year ahead of where you were.

MSF to learn the basics and how to be safe on the road, after that save up for some good instruction. Also, in the meantime "Twist of the Wrist 2" can get you started (or at the very least show you how people crash like all the guys in rnickeymouse's videos)

Tips are free, riding school isn't and I'm poor.

nsaP posted:

I'd just watch some racing. I watch guys ride bikes fast on TV which pretty much makes me an expert on riding.

Already do :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Legdiian posted:

This popped up on my newsfeed

The throttle delay from the chain slack :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Speaking of celebrities on motorbikes: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/mouthwatering-ryan-gosling-moments-of-the-year

I was browsing the retarded paparazzi pictures of this guy to find number 24. The dude has millions of dollars and wears gardening gloves on his DRZ?

I hate it when this happens. How can I reconcile my enormous man-boner for Ryan Gosling with the fact that he rides a DRZ gearless with welding gloves?

My heart is in turmoil!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It amazes me that his face is identical in structure as a child, it's kind of disturbing.

Automotive Insanity>Cycle Asylum>Ryan Gosling chat

edit: TOE CUTTERRRRRRR!!! ^^^^^^

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

snail posted:

That's what I meant. Try it in the chair right now, it'll make more sense.

The foot positioning isn't vital, it's just one of those things that helps setup the rest of the movement. Wax on, wax off, and the motion becomes automatic leaving mental capacity to focus on other things.

CONTENT: I now own this guy's CBR that was raced for HRC in Australia and he once held the motorbike lap record for Eastern Creek on it. The bike is in a lazy retirement with me onboard. Also, Brooksie is doing IoM this year and I'm curious to see how he rides the circuit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy4bZF6p04c

I tried this whilst actually on a bike yesterday and the foot movement thing is very helpful; it overrides my body's natural reluctance to lean off the side of a moving thing.

edit: just watched the video, how in the name of god is he two feet off the ground what the christ. Total abscence of fear.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 26, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

If you pay close attention to your weight distribution you might notice that it moves from your outside foot as your approach the corner to your inside foot as you accelerate out of it. As you figure out where to have your weight and when to shift it as you go thru the corner it will start making hanging off the bike feel a lot more natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_tYr7grVc#t=6m13s (I tried to embed it but I got a dorna warning, though it doesn't show up if you click the link. Odd.)

I was joking before about how watching racing made me an expert, but you can see this with how a lot of the GP bike riders brake now. In this clip you see Rossi on the outside hanging a leg way off the peg when braking for the corner. While Lorenzo next to him still has his foot on the peg, his weight distribution to the outside peg would be similar. It's a side note, but he's pretty much the anomaly as far as leg-off-peg riders goes these days. Pretty much all the other riders do it regardless of whether the benefit from it is real or placebo. Lorenzo has said he never found it comfortable, but you'll also hear from other riders that he brakes a lot differently to most. Others brake heavy and late, whereas Lorenzo brakes earlier and lighter, and holds more corner speed. At least, that's what I remember from interviews with Spies, Crutchlow and Dovi.

I read an interview with stoner where he said the foot hanging off thing is involuntary, it's a byproduct of the rear of the bike wanting to lift off the ground under braking as he's tipping in, so when he takes his foot off the peg it shifts his weight rearward and further to the outside to mitigate that.

I find it difficult to keep my weight off my wrists under braking whilst also doing all this other stuff, because to do that it feels like I just have to clamp onto the tank as hard as I can with my legs to keep my arms free. As soon as I move my leg or feet that clamping disappears and all my weight goes onto my wrists, loving with my steering and braking and upsetting the bike.

Content

I was reading about the Jiminson in a magazine (harley barrels with matchless heads, mentioned on the page) and it made me look these up. They're unbelievably difficult to build.

More here.
http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/angloamerican.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're my hero. My cynical, MS-paint wielding hero.