Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Those sumo race guys are running slicks unless there is some rule in their class system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

DefaultPeanut posted:

It looks to be an R5 - older and bit rarer.
Maybe my RD350 will cheer you up

Definitely an R5
Your bike has stock shocks and stock pipes, what's the matter dude you poor or something?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

apatite posted:

also 3wheelers aren't as dangerous as you guys make them out to be, you just have to be not-a-complete-idiot. We've had them my whole life (honda big reds, mostly) and were riding them around since age 10 or so. None of us died! My cousin did roll one down a steep embankment sideways once but that was his own fault

Problem with your theory is this:
All quad/trike owners are completely loving retarded.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Once you get used to Google Maps or one of the better competitors, with turn-by-turn directions and rapid route recalculation, piped straight to your ear via headphones or bluetooth, you'll never want to bother with a paper direction list again.

Also we've had this argument before, but if you are in such the butthole of nowhere that your phone is dying sans signal, you're quite unlikely to find landmarks enough to orient yourself on an unfamiliar paper roadmap, or any map at all if you're not some mix of Eagle Scout and Marine Recon. On the other hand, an older Garmin or TomTom can be had for so damned cheap you might as well carry a spare.

Paper maps are fine. Phone stuff can be fine but I have never bothered to learn how to lay in a specific route onto my phone instead of whatever the phone thinks is the most efficient route. I find I learn an area much better if I'm following a paper map instead of listening to directions on a GPS. I find a GPS is best for finding a specific address but paper maps are great for planning/getting from town to town or landmark to landmark.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

HNasty posted:

Or you know looked at the temp gauge, either one.

You're talking about a Ducati owner that willingly rides with a Buell owner and who during the first time riding a dirt road, launched himself off the bike totaling it and breaking his shoulder.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

At least he knows how to pick up a bike. It's funny how many GP racer types dump their bike and have a hell of a time picking it up. Doesn't help most of them are 'little person sized' (I think this is the PC term now).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Hnasty: You should post those pics on HBV just to piss people off. Go reverse troll by posting hipster poo poo on it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

Apparently 31.1" (and 375 lb.)
Air-cooled 803cc, 75hp

Well done Ducati

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Those Yams look good to me. You guys sure are hard to please.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Throwback bikes seem lazy from a design perspective.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ola posted:

No bike mfg makes their own shocks, including Yamaha.

Honda = Showa. Yamaha apparently just bought KYB recently, and used to own Ohlins. Suzuki is using the same shocks/forks it made from 1977. Kawasaki just doesn't give a gently caress.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I've not ridden any flavors of the 650 Kawi but goddamn the motor sounds like dogshit.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

You stick a foot out in dirt to kinda catch yourself if things get squirrely in a corner. You're also leaning the bike over more and sitting on the outside edge of the seat so the bike rails through the berm better, so a foot on the peg isn't very helpful.

If you're a decently fast rider and you stick your foot down on a corner you gently caress yourself up. You put your foot out front to help load the front tire for more traction and in some circumstances it does help to get it out of the way.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think it looks pretty nice and stuff.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I bet you need a brake light too.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

Have to cross post this from the main AI Mechanical Failures thread:

The sheer loving audacity of it. Suzuki GT750 apparently.

The inside of Becktastic's DRZ probably looks like this now...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If I had to guess in the 'worst rider ever' video that guy would probably smoke 98% of the people here on a dirtbike. He's clearly got some/a bit of experience on the dirt. He's pushing the bike below him and sitting mostly upright, probably influenced by the upright riding position of the bike. He looks pretty relaxed on the bike and while his lines aren't tight he's not weaving all over the track.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Lean forward once you've got the front up to 9:45.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

El Jebus posted:

I met her just recently at The Thermal Club in Thermal, CA, she seemed to be doing well and had a lot of fun driving a mid-2000's F1 car. Cool lady, hope she buys real boots in the future.

So... She's loaded?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

The tire deformation and lack of weight on the front are beautiful.

Looks to me like he's already on the throttle.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I own a versys 650 and also don't get the appeal of the 1000. The good points of the 650 (light weight, narrow twin, handling) are lost with the 1000.

It's not like the 650 has a hard time on the highway or anything, it doesn't make much sense.

Not slow, doesn't sound like poo poo.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

nsaP posted:

That's what I'm saying, he doesn't think he's blowing the corner.

He's early apexing like it's his job.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Does the Scrambler have any sort of a linkage? Did they just decide that anyone that buys one really doesn't care about the handling?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Here are some words why linkages are still useful:
https://books.google.com/books?id=G...everage&f=false

The explanation for the Ducati is most likely package/appearances. They're definitely not 'fads'.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ok if you don't need linkages, please explain why there aren't all sorts of 'workarounds' and why linkages still exist on bikes?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pretty sure tumbling like he did is more than enough to break stuff.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Goose it hard enough to take all the weight off the front tire + kung fu grip on the bars. Maybe was a streetfighter sportbike? Bars on sportbikes can make for pretty twitchy / sensitive steering?

My guess would be the previous 5 seconds of the gif that were conveniently cut out, dudebro was doing something stupid.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That's probably an R5 judging by the airbox covers. I owned one for a few years.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

If you're on instagram, I've been trying to post about one a day @radiumisotope. Come yell at me on the internet.

Dude is trying so loving hard.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Let’s not forget that the SV was released as an answer to the Ducati Monster and, whoops, was actually like 1000x better than it. It’s a bike that’s so good it has its own race series. The second gen frame is so good that multiple aftermarket frame companies tried to make and sell race frames and couldn’t come up with something better than factory.

As a person who has owned two SVs, gonna go ahead and call total bullshit. Say what you want about Ducati cost or reliability, the riding experience is amazing. Suzukis appeal to track riders because of the cheap parts available due to how much stuff interchanges between models.

I think from a design perspective the HDAdv does a good job with keeping up with the Harley design language on their cruiser bikes. You look at that bike and even without seeing the badge on it, you know it's a Harley. I've been paying attention to bikes for about 17 years now, and people have been predicting the death of Harley since then. The biggest problem I see with Harley going into the ADV market is the buyers are really going to be cross shopping other models. If they don't produce a bike that stacks up well in testing and the #s they are going to have a tough time selling it.

There is no reason Harley can't produce a competitive bike, whether or not they are willing to invest the R&D into doing it is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Years ago there were Dakar specific forums where you could sign up to have your gear hauled for you. It seemed like back then you were looking at 50k when you factor in bike and travel time. Aren't the privateers still allow to run larger than 450 motors?