Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Just to share..

http://youtu.be/wSyAbuOnk5Q

I made a magnetic mount for my GoPro, then added rubber washers to help isolate vibration and to make it a bit more adjustable.

Take a look at the surface of the road after I make the left turn... turned out better than I had hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

schreibs posted:

biggest problem I have with my go pro is the clip attached to the camera portion shaking inside of one of the mounts

Yeah... a little plastic wedge cut from a milk bottle fixes that.

I was having a vibration problem with the Harley Vtwin.... it is not as smooth as more refined bikes. Lots of mechanical vibration noise transmitted to the camera when it was hooked to the bars or even more so when hard mounted to the tail or the tank. The wedge fixed some of the noise, but the vibration was still present and the rolling shutter is a killer.

I have some ideas to refine my little mount, but so far it is the best I have tried so far (On-bike anyway).

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Guy gets very lucky after not being able to turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWNSwjXHSA

You know his heart was going a million miles a minute.... and he had to get a crowbar to get the seat unwedged from his rear end.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

http://youtu.be/lqYvInb0qTo

Took a little ride to pick up a gasket at the dealership (3 miles away) and ended up spending 90 minutes just riding around. When the video was sped up, I just had to add a soundtrack.

[Edit] Saw this today... guy was riding along, dragging his feel like that the whole time.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 24, 2011

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Hmmm..... time to start tinkering in the garage!

That is awesome, and I would love to have one for my upcoming Tail of the Dragon trip, dorky looking or not!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Motorcycle vs. Car Drift Battle video

http://youtu.be/Qh-F8p6tLjk

I'll be honest and say that I had never heard of bike drifting before this.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Demonlord posted:

Went to the store and took a quick video test using the chest mount on a go pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M23xsd6BYoQ

I Wish the camera was more forward but I'm paranoid about mounting it on the actual bike, I just keep imagining the glue coming off and it falling off while riding. I tried the helmet mount but I can't put my faceshield up then. Also you can't really read it but the stickers say "Object in mirror are losing."

I was trying to figure out what was wrong and it wasn't until you were almost home that I realized it was the fisheye effect that was bugging me. It made it look like you were sitting on a scooter. The video is cool though, clear and steady.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

As fun as all of this poo poo is to read, remember when we posted awesome videos in this thread? KEEP THE LOVE ALIVE FELLAS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Etb_kqxnI

one of my favorites

Geez.... watching his step the back end out like that makes my butthole pucker.... That he just pushes harder is wild.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I know this is nothing special for you sport bike guys, but I had a lot of fun.

The first couple of minutes are of these clueless baggers that refused to use the turnouts and let faster bikes go past. The turnouts are there for a reason!

No matter how much I waved, yelled, revved.. anyway. I had been following them for 7 or 8 miles at this point and was a little annoyed... and yes, being a jerk.

The rest is just fun stuff.

http://youtu.be/KTyTrtLALhk

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Z3n posted:

I can't help but crack up at you swearing at them.

Also, have you considered a quick turn throttle?

and some quieter pipes my god

I will be honest here and say I have no idea what that is. I have always been a cruiser rider, and it wasn't until I moved back to North Carolina that I got the "twisties" bug... man that poo poo is fun!

I have been up there half a dozen times so far and have been making changes to my bike to make it better. It will never be a sport bike, but that's ok too.

One thing I did discover.... my lights are TOTALLY inadequate for riding that road at night.... holy poo poo was that an experience! I am upgrading the suspension and lighting before my next trip.

Now, off to google to find a quick turn throttle :allears:

Oh, and the pipes? Those ARE quieter than my last set...

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

How do you like the chest mount, is it obnoxious, or do you not notice it? I was at Best Buy tonight and saw them.

Also, hustling a Harley through turns looks like fun!

I made my own out of the head mount and some extra elastic. Once I had it on, I could just forget about it except to push the buttons... very unobtrusive.

And it was unreal fun!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Deeters posted:

I went trail riding the other day, and while I edit the good bits of riding I got in, here's what was easily the most interesting moment of the day.

http://vimeo.com/27984811

It was a really good day of riding, even with that.

Whoa... that sucks. Any damage to you two or the bikes?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Belle rides an Iron Head (so does her husband) and we were out on a group ride @ Deal's Gap this weekend. She sees a snake in the road and heads right for it.

You can see the snake better in HD full screen.

http://youtu.be/2cdR8OUCNlU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Here4DaGangBang posted:

How to change the oil on an SR500:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1IkFZkJts

That. Was. Awesome.

I need to subscribe to that guy's channel.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Boat posted:

Found a bigger image. What the hell is going on with that exhaust?

It is going to a collector under the bike and exiting towards the rear. I ran a similar setup for a while.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Those who have done a night run down the Tail of the Dragon (or any mountain riding) know how loving DARK it is up there! No lights, no bleed from a city surrounding you and your bike outruns the headlights on every curve.

There were some guys in some cool little import cars that come up there just to ride at night! They all had extra lighting, aimed at almost a 45 degree angle on each side of the car. This let them see the sharp curves even when the headlights were pointing into the trees.

Well, I decided my cool 7" headlight sucked big donkey dicks in the hills and vowed to change that.

Here is my old headlight setup for reference: ( I know, I know... STGATT, but I have a mesh/armored jacket now so skip it, eh? :) )

And the new setup

The lower lights are set up with wingnuts and lockwashers and can spin almost 90 degrees. I have one set hooked to my standard lights, the other to my highbeams for now (County inspection coming up) but for the mountains I am going to run the extras on a separate switch so I can have both sets on at once.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Speechless.

I saw that... some idiot bought it on a whim, I bet, and then realized how stupid it was and is trying to recoup his losses.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Went by a local shop for some clamps, no dice and had to go to the Harley dealer... they were having some wing-ding or other so I took a walk around.

Only bikes worth looking at (that were NOT chromosexual celebrations of bro-hood):

And this non-sporty had a cool idea for a tank mount

And just because it was a nice bike

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

What's going on here? Is something bailing-wired to the head of that engine?

Optical illusion.. what you are seeing is the front tank mount tab connected by a heim joint to hard point coming off the bottom of the backbone. I thought it was creative.

Behind it they hung a gremlin bell/charm thing...

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Does anyone know anything about this bike? Model, year, etc. I know next to nothing about Harleys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_XR-750

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

MoraleHazard posted:

I hate seeing that Lambretta mauled like that. loving texters piss me off so much.

Here's my 2004 R1150R Rockster. I really love this bike.

Those are great looking bikes, but the headlights are all o_O :pwn:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Silver posted:

Yeah a jacket probably isn't going to protect from broken ribs and a broken back. As for skin injuries most Harleys on the gap are doing roughly 15-20 mph, they probably didn't slide really at all, more of a roll 10 feet.

I'm glad you said most... and look, gear! (Shh... I know, no riding pants, didn't get them in time, but I am wearing knee armor.)

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Holy crap! I thought he would be dead, landing on his head like that. He had to have been hauling rear end to have flown that far before he touched down.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I didn't know Boomerjinks rode motorcycles.

I just can't warm up to that paintjob... the helmet I would wear, but the bike looks horrible.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is that a bolt-on hardtail mod?

Basically.... They are struts that take the place of shocks so the owner can pretend that they are hard corps.

Not only is it a stupid mod, it is, eventually, dangerous. The swingarm bikes are not meant to be rigid and I have seen more than one crack a frame or a motor mount because they were running struts.

It is the mental equivalent of removing the front fender (but not the mounts) so you can pretend your bike is a bobber.... which is another very popular mod.

And yes, I am a long time Harley guy who owns 2 right now.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Not a bike but bike related...

Finally got someplace to store my motorcycles at the new house... and brought by a really ugly stork too!

10x24 with a 6ft wide roll-up door on one end, a 46" door on the other. I can't wait to start fitting it out as a bike barn!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Stugazi posted:

Saw this at Hell's Kitchen on Ortega Highway. Kind of a motorcycle. Had a Kawasaki engine...so I'm posting it.

It's a T-Rex, they run from $55-$75K each.

While I would love to play with one, no loving way would I pay that much.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Deeters posted:

Erzberg continues to provide fantastic video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z484SYSWaQc

I really want to know why taking that line looked so good from the bottom.

LEMMINGS! That was the funniest thing I have seen all week.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I bet if you could pull them ALL over, there would be at least 3 valid licenses in that pack.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdx-WggtsYg

Was on the Tail of the Dragon with my buddies for our annual meet and the throttle locked up on my XR1200X. The wreck happened last Wednesday morning.
The bike slid off the edge, but I was launched over. I got SOOOO lucky not to hit any trees and the almost constant rain over the last few weeks meant the ground was nice and soft. I walked away with some strained muscles, soreness and a few bruises.
The bike had a broken shifter, forks twisted in the trees, busted handlebars, busted headlight and front turn signal. With some help, I got it fixed and was riding by noon the following day, so I could continue riding through the weekend!

Apparently I managed to hit the throttle lock thingie every time I twisted the throttle that morning. What confused me was this: Wouldn't the throttle become increasingly more unresponsive? It doesn't seem likely that it would lock up all at once, but I will be damned if it didn't do just that. I couldn't get it to back off.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

nsaP posted:

You sure you didn't just run wide there?

Did you watch the video?

Yes, I did run wide because, frankly, I panicked and was focused on the stuck throttle and not where I was going. In the slo-mo segment you can see me trying to retard the throttle and later you can hear the bike's motor bouncing off the rev limiter when there was no load on the wheels (when the bike was on its side) so.... it was not just my imagination.

Had I been more on the ball and dropped it further into the turn, ignoring the stuck throttle, I would have hit the rock wall on the other side of the turn instead. Not sure that would have been a better outcome.

I was very grateful that the camera popped off the harness (and landed up top, not down the ravine) when my chest hit the handlebars as I went over. Now at least I know what went wrong, where *I* went wrong, instead of having to wonder.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Was it one of these locks?

Those sort of scare me, it seems entirely too possible to accidentally torque that screw down way too much with your thumb.

Yep. That's the one!

Never actually used it intentionally and I don't recall if I remember even seeing it on there, though I suppose I knew since my other Sportsters have had them. Just didn't think about it either way.

Both bikes will have a lock-ectomy this week, I guaran-drat-tee that!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

ought ten posted:

Riding a Harley I'm surprised you didn't just LAYERDAN. :v:

Seriously though, that's loving scary and I'm glad you're okay. Any chance of getting Harley to pay for the damage/emotional trauma?

Meh. My fuckup, my bills. Never believed in suing to make stuff stupid-proof... we just become bigger idiots.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Legdiian posted:

Had you been drinking before the crash?

Nope. Never drink and ride or drive. Last drink I had was at 10pm the night before. No hangover and the crash happened about 9:30am the following day.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

nsaP posted:

Alternatively, you could have pulled in the clutch and hit the brakes and continued on your day? The bike revving after you crashed means nothing, I've heard that happen in a lot of crash videos where the throttle wasn't to blame. I've not heard of a throttle lock that you couldn't roll off manually, if your bike has that then that was a silly design.

It just didn't really seem to me, listening to the motor noise and seeing your hand, that the throttle was the problem. Looked like you flipped and went wide. Even if it had locked you had some other options.

Seems like you got a freebie out of a gnarly crash tho dude, congrats.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, it lets us weigh options carefully and choose a path that matches the outcome we want!

I know for certain the throttle stuck, and I know for certain that I handled it badly. I fixated on the throttle and ignored the curve. I got lucky, no doubt about it. Hopefully next time I will be better prepared.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

M42 posted:

Is that a popsicle stick?

Looks like a tongue depressor... probably got it from a first aid kit or from the track medics...

Unless you guys got some mondo popsicles, then I want in, damnit!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Went to Daytona to meet up with a couple of friends and among the chaff (meaning chromosexuals and assless chaps) were these gems.

Met a pair of guys who collect and restore the Aeromacchi (Harley) Sprints. Here are a 64 and a 67

Flashback to the 70's

And there was evidently a Tetanus competition with this lovely specimen..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Deeters posted:

I think that up until this year, the only Harleys with a dedicated oil cooler were the top end touring models.

There's not much info on them other than the marketing material, so we need to make fun of something.

The XRs have (had) the oil cooled heads as well.