Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've got my cart down from $400-$300. I still can't afford it all though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hibernator posted:

I asked my friend who works at B&N to pick up The Fisher King for me. I can't even walk inside the store. Last year I spent like $600. I am powerless in the face of temptation.

I did why I could to hammer down my cart. Still settled at 250 after tax.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I have this set, and highly recommend it to any fan of the genre/film-series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dammit! Got excited for the flash sale, went to get Mulholland Dr. and it's out later this month! NOOOOOOO

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha they sure reeled us in with that ten-dollar off coupon.

I'm still slaving over if I should go for a full $100 worth for the free bag.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probably a dumb question, but are the spine numbers based on the count when the film was added? Like M has spine #30, so was it the 30th film added to the collection?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the answers!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm definitely grabbing Mulholland Drive, and probably also Repo Man which I've never seen.

I showed Repo Man to movie group friends about a month ago and some of them will randomly text me about how it was awesome.

Key and Peele did a visual reference to Repo Man before their show ended and it made me smile that my friends understood the reference because I showed them Repo Man.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

morestuff posted:

The sweet spot for genre movie/important for historical context/maybe actually available/would love to see special features is a Near Dark release

Yo, I never realized how much I want this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I've shown Seven Samurai to a few "non-movie" people and they enjoyed way more than I expected. Trying to talk them into Lawrence of Arabia now and that's not working so well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wasn't the December sale this year by B&N and not Criterion? I think B&N honors sales for out of stock and pre-orders, while the main site does not.*

*Or it didn't during the summer sale last year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Unmature posted:

Nope, I work at B&N and as long as it's in the system and able to be preordered, it's included. I preordered Llewyn Davis.

At the 50% discount price?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Tokyo Story, The Hidden Fortress, and City Lights are getting Blu-only releases in March to replace the existing dual format editions.

Also, it's looking like the BBS set (Head, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, etc) and the Zatoichi set are going OOP. The BBS probably because Head was licensed from Rhino and they're including it on a complete Monkees Blu set and Zatoichi probably to release regular DVD and Blu-Ray editions instead of dual format.

Interesting, I got the Zatoichi set as a gift on Christmas a year or two ago. If they do a Bluray only set I'll be interested to see the artwork and price. Love the box art on the current set.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 22, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
http://4k.com/news/the-4k-restoration-of-akira-kurosawas-classic-ran-is-coming-to-blu-ray-in-may-and-here-is-the-trailer-13496/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I was always close to pulling the trigger on Hulu because of the criterion collection being on there. Welp.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm curious to see the pricing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Has anyone else had problems with the quality of the discs on the Zatoichi set? So far, of the 3 discs I've gotten around to watching, 3 have issues with skipping and not playing properly. I've never had this issue before with any other Blu-ray I have.

I emailed Criterion, and I asked them just to send me copies of the movies in a normal case or even a CD-jewel case for all I care. I just don't trust the sleeves the discs come in. Or maybe I've been given a lemon. But I'm a creature of psychology, and so I have made the connection that this unique packaging, without strong evidence, is why I've been given a lemon set.

I haven't made it through all of them but I've had no probs thus far with the set.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did they ever get back to you on this? My set is doing the same thing. The second movie is completely unplayable, it always stutters and eventually freezes for good 31 minutes in.

Oh god, now you guys are making me worried and I am going to spend like 3 hours trying out every disc.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just spent $130. :negative: someone help me or I will keep buying stuff

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I got Dr. Strangelove, Fantastic Planet, Mulholland Drive and The Apu Trilogy.

All blind buys except Mulholland (I know I'll probably get crucified for not seeing Strangelove).

I bought Strangelove and Mulholland as well. I'm tempted to blind buy the other two blu-rays in your post.

Is FP totally worth a blind buy? It sounds like my kind of movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sounds like I will give FP a watch before buying then. Really digging the synopsis so I will check it out very soon.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Instantly bought this. thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for letting us know the Flash sale started. Finally got to use my $10 credit!
Picked up Rashomon, 8 1/2, The Brood, Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Was bummed I couldn't get Lone Wolf and Cub at a discounted price, but oh well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I can't bring myself to order Salo. I have it on my wishlist, and debate buying it every sale, but I feel dirty when it's in my cart.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My Criterion order from the flash sale got lost in the mail :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

How do you know that for sure? Could it just be slow?

It was supposed to get delivered the 20th, and the tracking says it has been delivered. But I definitely don't have a copy of Rashomon so it hasn't arrived. I filed a missing mail request with USPS and notified Criterion. I just didn't realize it was missing until last night because I thought it was coming slow due to the flash sale demand or something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Sup lost package buddy. Mine got straight up stolen since I found the (empty) box a few days later. :(

Criterion support is really good though, and they're sending another one my way. Hopefully it doesn't get stolen this time.

I haven't heard from Criterion yet, but kind of hoping for this because I have no faith that USPS will be able to find my package.

on that note, the site told me to email orders@criterion, is that what you did?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

blue squares posted:

What is everyone's favorite type of supplement? Mine is hands down commentary tracks by film scholars or really good critics like Bogdanovich. Maybe other folks are more into the video interviews or video essays?

The books are usually my favorite supplementals. I read almost all of them. Then spout the info back to my friends when we pop one in for movie night.

Repo Man was particularly fun that way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I didn't realize Picnic at Hanging Rock came with a copy of the book. Pretty awesome.

Also I got my movies finally! 10 days after USPS claims they delivered.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Barnes and Noble has the Lone Wolf and Cub set for $50 right now

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-lone-wolf-cub/30229486?ean=0715515188517

Actually, it looks like a 50% off sale on Criterions is in effect.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

blue squares posted:

Why are people so hot for that film series anyway?

It's a really good action series about a man and his infant son.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Disharmony posted:

That's actually not bad at all. Thinking of probably just waiting for the flash sale rather than buy some of the second hand ones I'm seeing in Reddit.

One other thing: from your experience, do the stocks disappear real quick? And does the site get hammered pretty bad?

In my experience the site always runs fine during the sales, but really popular titles* (it took me 3 sales before catching Brazil in stock for some reason) and new releases tend to go really quickly and the sale price is not honored on out of stock movies and pre-orders (unless that's changed).

e: *might not be the case for popular titles anymore as well since they've been sales for several years regularly now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ooo I'm stoked for this one.

Yeah that'll be an easy purchase.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That sucks. :( Though at 93 he had a pretty good run. Tokyo Drifter is one of my favorite Criterions.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Lodger is going to be a must buy for me. Can't wait

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

this needs to be in my bluray player already

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Filmstruck app for the Fire TV got an update. It adds in-app billing, Amazon catalog integration, Improved search/browse features according to the update log.

thank god.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I hate to ask a question that's been covered so many times before, but maybe someone can point me to a particular recent page where region free blu ray players were discussed?

I'm in the market for one, but I'd like to strike some kind of a balance between quality and cost, so I don't want to completely cheap out and have the player poo poo the bed after a month. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm hoping to only spend around $50-$100 if possible.

This is the one I have. It's a more than 100, but there might be a newer model (or older?) that you can pick up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is definitely the one to get.

Going region free should be a top priority for anyone who buys physical media.

The only downside is you can't take your movies over to a friend's house :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Alright, I'll probably go that route then, thanks all.

Now to decide what my first round of region B blu rays will be.....

Arrow, the UK's Criterion of Horror