Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Found Breathless in the used DVD section for $15 the other day, making that my first actual criterion. Man, these things are amazing. Im thinking of asking for one for Christmas, but I was wondering which one to get next:

8 1/2
House
Paris, Texas

I wanna stay on the cheap-ish side, but I was wondering which has the best packaging, longevity, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh, man. I thought i saw Diabolique on that Bravo 100 scariest movies list they play every year. It scared the hell out of me and I hope that's the same one.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Crumb
Night of the Hunter
Vivre sa vie

Thank's Criterion!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Being a biology major, i feel like i missed an opportunity to pick up Science is Fiction: 23 Short Films by Jean Painleve. Is that worth picking up even somewhere down the road?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

For those who have seen it, is The Music Room worth pre-ordering? or just renting?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Picked up 8 1/2 and Yojimbo/Sanjuro off amazon because I love using slashes.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

I was one of the winners in the Facebook contest. I didn't get any likes and it was buried pretty quickly in the mess of entries. Did anyone else here win?

What was your post? I want to hate you for it

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

50% off Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line with the code NATURE, through 5/22.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Eyes Without a Face. Any good?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

gently caress i hate this. That was hard. I got Solaris and My Dinner with Andre. Two blind buys, over Brazil and Peeping Tom, which I have seen.

e: so i'm not the most obscure criterion shopper sue me

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 12, 2011

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cacator posted:

So I'll probably go with Naked. Now considering and need opinions on: one of Shock Corridor, Z, Homicide (but I'm mainly interested in Shock Corridor)

As for me, I'd go with Homicide

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Nobody doesn't like Seven Samurai.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Goons. I've been wanting to watch Carlos, since it's on Netflix, but could anyone recommend which to watch first? The mini-series or the movie?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are there any good spooky Halloween-ish movies in the Criterion vault?
All I can think of off the top of my head is Eyes Without a Face.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Friedpundit posted:

House makes for a great drinking game too. I've done it a couple times and the farther you get into the movie, the more drunk and confused your friends get.

The rules we use:
-Every time you hear the theme song.
-Every time one of the girls fulfills her stereotype. (Professor is smart, Kung Fu does kung fu, etc.)
-Every time the cat does magic.
-Every time someone reacts to the movie in confusion, befuddlement, or general 'WTF' responses, that person must take a drink.

This is an amazing game and I'm stealing it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I really loved Les enfants terribles, and I'd like to pick up another Jean-Pierre Melville. The one's I'm most interested in are Le Samourai and Army of Shadows. Is there a clear winner here?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

kaujot posted:

The next one you should buy is "Fanny & Alexander." Buy it today.

Speaking of which, the TV version...what awesome channel did THAT get shown on? Does Sweden just have better TV than we do?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I want another Bergman. I have/have seen Fanny and Alexander, The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries and enjoyed them all immensely, F&A being the most incredible in my opinion. Where should I go from here? I'm not against blind-buying Bergman at this point.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Way more than 10

A Lesson in Love
All These Women
Cries and Whispers
Crisis
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 1
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 2
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 3
Fanny and Alexander (TV), Episode 4
Fanny and Alexander: The Theatrical Version
From the Life of the Marionettes
Port of Call
Sawdust and Tinsel
Scenes from a Marriage
Secrets of Women
Smiles of a Summer Night
Summer Interlude
Summer with Monika
The Magician
The Seventh Seal
The Silence
The Virgin Spring
Thirst
Through a Glass Darkly
To Joy
Wild Strawberries
Winter Light

:eyepop: I've been saving my student email for Hulu+ until I had a reason. I guess I have a reason.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just City Lights for my dear sweet moth. Merry christmas, moth. Sorry for loving up the gift receipt.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe this is a rhetorical question but if I rented The Leopard from my library, I'd want to go with the original release, correct? Disc 3 has the American release with Burt Lancaster's own voice but runs about 10 minutes shorter. The booklet's not included so I don't know if it was included for the same reasons Brazil's happy ending version was included.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Shouldn't be getting anything but I got something.

When Horror Came to Sonichu [e: SHOCHIKU!] and Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Should be a crazy weekend of watching movies.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 3, 2014

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Sonichu was already horrifying. :stonk:

Oh god. I've been telling everybody about how I'm about to watch 4 Sonichu movies. My friends must think I'm crazy.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cacator posted:

What do people think is the superior film, Time Bandits or Fisher King? I loving love Brazil and also own Fear and Loathing but otherwise can't claim to be the biggest Gilliam fan.

Time Bandits. I've always felt Fisher King was saccharine and pretentious. Not really for me.

Time Bandits on the other hand is always fun. A creative novelty in every scene.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Where's a good place to start for Suzuki?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

What would you prefer, breathtaking color composition or crazy innovative black and white visuals?

This is why I hate these sales. Probably gonna pick up both, Black Narcissus, Charulata, and Ballad of Narayama. All blind.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Slate Action posted:

November 2015:

The Apu Trilogy

Oh gently caress.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Who has seen the Sabu! Eclipse set? Are there any standouts?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Purchased Cries & Whispers, Sansho the Bailiff, and Dillinger is Dead. Only now that the order's placed I'm rethinking everything.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

On that topic, I'm considering blind-buying some more Criterion movies on the next sale. Are any of these a bad idea, or have any caveats?

- Brazil
- The Seventh Seal
- The Brood
- City Lights
- The Great Dictator

Edit-- nevermind, took the plunge and got a Hulu Plus account so I can find out for myself!

Those are all pretty great.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

My library has all of the Jacques Demy movies (which is shocking to me) and I've already seen and loved Umbrellas and Donkey Skin. What other ones are worth watching in that set?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks to my car making GBS threads out on me I can't get a whole lot, but I picked up Mulholland Dr and Love Streams. Should make for one exhausting double feature.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How is that double feature set of those Jack Nicholson westerns? They seem interesting.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Riosan posted:

I'm considering blind buying the Apu Trilogy, just because of how excellent the restoration is and the soundtrack seems great. Is it worth it if I'm really not that knowledgeable in world cinema?

They're breathtaking movies. I had only seen the first when I bought the set and I revisit them a lot and share them with friends as much as I can.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I ended up going with The Golden Age of Television boxset, The Actuality Dramas of Allan King, and Watership Down. None of which I've seen, each of which has been languishing in a wishlist for months/years. With the BNTROPICAL code, all that was a bit under $60 before tax.

Those Allan King ones are sad as gently caress. Watch with tissues.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What's that Japanese film that's supposed to have all the depictions of hell in it?

Jingoku?

Anyway, I wanted to mention Alice, Sweet Alice, but it turns out that's not in the Criterion collection. Huh.

Also, is anybody in the know enough to tell me why Possession (1981) hasn't had anything of a decent mass release?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Yeah, Jingoku sounds right. Any good?

*Jigoku (Correcting myself) is definitely worth watching if you've any interest in the premise.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Anyway, I wanted to mention Alice, Sweet Alice, but it turns out that's not in the Criterion collection. Huh.

I had Don't Look Now confused with this movie. I had no idea they were so similar until just now.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I've seen and loved The Third Man, Citizen Kane, F for Fake and Touch of Evil. Is it safe to assume that I can go in blind on Immortal Story and Chimes at Midnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Filmstruck thread got locked so is it okay if we post about that in here?

Because as amazing a service that it is, about half the time I try to log into it on my computer it has trouble logging in. Leaving me staring at the processing sign instead of good movies. I emailed them about this, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anybody else?