Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Origami Dali posted:

Official date for the 50% Criterion sale at BN is Nov. 1st and it ends on Nov. 21st. Just in time for Night of the Hunter.

Sorry, pretty out of the loop here, but does this sale apply to website purchases or just in-store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I don't know any animated movie more deserving of criterion treatment than The Triplets of Belleville.

Nothing even comes close.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

taser rates posted:

Anyone wanna make a recommendation among these three sets?

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/89-a-film-trilogy-by-ingmar-bergman

Little late, but this set of movies is amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

So I finally saw an as close to uncut 720p version of The Devils (113 minutes; I think it's a fancut of the streaming version with the available deleted scenes reinserted) and did some running around on the history of it and the potential release - while this is a Facebook post and only really backed up by hearsay, there's a guy here claiming that Criterion have it licensed. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1177970699005460&id=539744709494732

It's an instant purchase if so.

This would be loving legend. I have a hard time believing that Criterion would put it out if they couldn't get the full thing, but there have been so many fakeouts in the last 10 years from people claiming they have an uncut version, and yet it still seems like it's under lock and key by some old dude with a femur to pick.

That being said, even with the one scene cut out, the movie deserves to be seen! It is, without hesitation, one of the best films I've ever watched.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Wasn't Ken Russell a devout Catholic, anyways?

He's a Catholic convert, if that makes any difference. I'm sure his detractors consider him something of an infiltrator.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Even harder to navigate than before!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Anyone else find Filmstruck overwhelming? It feels like Time Enough At Last but instead of my glasses breaking I'm unable to pick any single film.

The magic of streaming made manifest. An endless browse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drat, Criterion financed the new cut being made. That's interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Also, good lord, the new site design is an unnavigable loving mess.

It sucks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

I push Thief every time a Criterion sale comes up. It’s currently on Hulu if you still haven’t seen it!

The Thief blu is amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

So Tree of Life will have 2 cuts, yeah? The info doesn't make it clear.

Also, that cover art, ehhhh.

Yeah, 2 cuts. The theatrical cut and a new cut commissioned by Criterion.

And yeah, the new cover art is way worse. The Fox blu uses the same block patchwork as one of the poster designs.

edit; bonus features look great, if that matters.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 16, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My thoughts exactly. I guess Criterion was listening.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Holy loving poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The single best film about the artist's struggle. Can't wait for the blu.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like the summer B&N sale starts this Friday.

What's on everyone's list for this round?

So far, I'm definitely picking up A Matter of Life and Death, Sex Lies and Videotape, The Color of Pomegranates, and Elevator to the Gallows. Also thinking of getting the Von Sternberg/Dietrich set and Mishima.

Looking at

Midnight Cowboy
Women In Love
Before Trilogy
Squid and the Whale
The New World
Inside Llewyn Davis
Persona
Certified Copy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Is the B&N deal live?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Picked up blu of Squid and the Whale, Solaris, Persona, and Certified Copy.

Looked for blu of The New World, Women In Love, and Midnight Cowboy but they were out. I'll make another visit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That cover on the Naked blu-ray!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Went shopping with a buddy and couldn’t help myself. Grabbed The Lure and F for Fake, both blind buys.

The Lure owns. I hate musicals but that movie owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has The Tree of Life for pre-order at only $22.89, which is cheaper than it would be at 50% off at B&N or a flash sale:
https://www.amazon.com/Tree-Life-Bl...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Nice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I really am so glad they changed the Tree of Life cover

Me, too. I can't even find the picture of the cover they first put up but it completely misrepresents the film

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MystOpportunity posted:

I know this is off-topic, but probably the best place to ask: a theater near me is doing a 26-film Bergman retrospective (with mostly new digital restorations). Have only ever seen Fanny and Alexander (loved) and Cries and Whispers (lukewarm, but should probably watch again). Which of these are must sees and which can I skip?

They’re showing Wild Strawberries, Summer Interlude, Smiles of a Summer Night, Secrets of Women, Summer with Monika, To Joy, Seventh Seal, Sawdust and Tinsel, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence, The Magician, Shame, The Virgin Spring, Hour of the Wolf, The Devil’s Eye, Scenes from a Marriage, Magic Flute, Persona, Passon of Anna, F&A, Cries and Whispers, The Touch, Autumn Sonata.

Some are more obvious than others, but any advice would be appreciated.

I haven't seen a lot of them, I hear The Virgin Spring is good. I like the chamber dramas and recommend Through A Glass Darkly, The Silence, and definitely Persona.

Persona is a movie that should be seen in a theater, film print if possible, but a good digital restoration works, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Raxivace posted:

If possible, watch Persona without knowing anything about it.

That's what I did at 1 AM one night and lol what an experience.

This. I watched it at the art museum and the presentation was phenomenal, but I went in totally blind.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Just blind-bought In the Mood For Love last week. How was this not nominated for several Academy Awards? At the very least Best Foreign Language Film and Costume Design. loving Gladiator won for costume design that year and among the other nominees were 102 Dalmatians and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Come on.

I didn't even love the film as much as it seems to be beloved by most critics, but goddamn those Maggie Cheung dresses are worth the price of admission alone.

In The Mood For Love is hands down the best film released so far this century. I'm always jealous of people watching it for the first time.

FancyMike posted:

The Academy is bad, especially with foreign films. I just checked and no Cantonese language film has ever been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film and Farewell My Concubine is the only Chinese-language film nominated for the category directed by someone other than Ang Lee or Zhang Yimou.

Yeah, it's a loving shame...though Ju Dou is loving phenomenal and worth tracking down the blu from Korea.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Criterion sales are dangerous y'all.

I got sucked back in for another round.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Eraserhead
Rosemary's Baby
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Silence of the Lambs
The New World
Tess
Crumb
Women in Love
Midnight Cowboy

:blush:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VoodooXT posted:

drat, what am I going to do with the Bergmans I already bought on Bluray? :smith:

Sell them all individually and you'll easily afford the set with the profits.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Those types of sets are cooler in theory than they are in practice.

I like individual presentations myself.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If it has all the stuff from the films' individual releases I'm cool with it, especially since there's a ton of new stuff.

The price is baller but the packaging is just not my thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm in San Antonio for work and I think I found the best B&N video section in the world. They literally had every in-print Criterion on Blu-ray and DVD. Ended up just getting In the Mood for Love and Love Streams.

That's like the one in PDX where I'm at, literally every spine and every boxset.

On my second trip in they had two 3-shelf library wheelcarts full to the brim with stuff that had just been reordered.

Last week they were out of Midnight Cowboy blus, and when I went back there were 12.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

So when's the next B+N sale after this one? December? Because I am totally squirrelling away cash to get that Bergman set at half price.

I wonder if the Bergman box will be limited run only.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I wish Crouching Tiger was on Criterion :sigh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

It's one of Sony's Supreme Cinema releases, which is basically a Criterion without the "C" logo:
https://www.amazon.com/Crouching-Ti...L70_&dpSrc=srch

4K remaster, two commentaries, deleted scenes, making-of, interviews, trailer, and I think it even has a booklet and is in a Criterion style case.

Looks good, except for that cover art...and also Criterion blu menus are quite lovely and well designed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

If we're talking wuxia, I'd rather have a Zhang Yimou set seeing as how all of the current blu-rays were kinda poo poo last I checked (if they remastered movies like Hero please tell me, thanks).

I'm down with Zhang Yimou's first decade of film but I have very little interest in his work after '95

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I’d be down for a Criterion release of Raise the Red Lantern.

Ju Dou is far superior to Lantern in my own humble but yes, I would totally buy Lantern on criterion

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is it just me or is that Bergman set an uncharacteristically great deal for Criterion? With the B&N sale it'll be $150, making it $3.85 per film. Pretty amazing.

It's an awesome deal, though I'm just not a big enough fan of Bergman to jump.

Offer me a Wong Kar Wai or Ken Russell set tho and I'll trample women and children to get it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not one to fetishize packaging, but that's perfect.

Nice packaging. I kinda miss the ambigram font tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

still waiting impatiently for blus of Bad Timing and Knife in the Water :rant:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I understand the need to skip sales. When I was in some hard times, it felt awful to not only skip the sales for almost three years, but slowly selling off my collection to pay bills and rent (ultimately had to sell 25 just from Criterion, including a bunch of OOP ones).

Been there, done that, always regretted later, too. :(

Stalker is great but the Solaris blu is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The people have spoken. You goin to The Zone, boy-o