Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

vertov posted:

It was featured in the Z-Channel documentary. It's about D-Day, and it mixes documentary footage of the actual event with fictionalized material. I'm not a WW2 addict, but I think it sounds really cool.
Yeah, ever since seeing Z-Channel, I've been really wanting to see this.

Yay Criterion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

Pure Criterion Goodness
Holy poo poo, those are some amazing films and amazing box art to go with.

I was going to go and buy a PVR after work, but now I'm thinking I might need to save my money for some upcoming DVD purchases.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Criminal Minded posted:

390 is actually kinda :nws: :raise:
The black dots on the cover toward the bottom left remind me of MST3K.

I am convinced that this was not Criterion's intention.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The art for Blast of Silence is fantastic and I'm really curious to check that one out.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

What the gently caress is this "CRAZY EIGHTS" on my avatar, and who gave it to me?

It's a "gang tag" of some sort. Different subforums seem to have different tags. You're the first one I've noticed with a movie related tag.

EDIT--

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2188

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 5, 2009

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

Dragon Dynasty Blu-Rays consistently have the worst reviews.

True, but they also often have Bey Logan commentaries which are normally really good and really help you understand and appreciate a film even more (the best thing a commentary can do).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
September 27 is going to be expensive for me.

The worst/best part about Criterion announcing movies (especially on Blu) that I really want is that I get all excited and can't wait for the release date and end up buying something else in the meantime.

Not exactly the worst kind of problem to have though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

I know nothing about film restoration, but I imagine that the original source material for most films made in the first half of the last century create a 'ceiling' for restoration capabilities

You can learn about the process, at Criterion and on no less than a Hitchcock film, right here:

https://vimeo.com/84135659

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

The Brood - never seen it, Cronenberg is hit or miss with me... possible rental

The Brood is a Cronenberg film for Cronenberg fans. Shivers, Rabid, and The Brood were his horror films in the 70s and of that trilogy I'd argue that The Brood is actually the least essential.

For fans: it's great, because it's early Cronenberg.

If you already find him hit or miss: The Brood isn't the film that's going to sway you one way or the other.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ratedargh posted:

It's going to be US only...isn't it? :argh:

They answered this directly on their Facebook page:

At launch, FilmStruck will stream in the US only. We are absolutely listening to international feedback, though, and should we opt to extend the service to other countries, we'll let everyone know.

:canada:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Origami Dali posted:

Is Criterion Channel launching at midnight?

The Amazon Fire app showed up around midnight and you can install it and browse the collection but it won't let you authenticate your account so you can actually watch anything. It's still early though so I'm guessing it will launch sometime today proper.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Everything is working great for me using a Fire Stick, in Canada no less (which makes this a minor miracle).

The layout isn't ideal, but fans of the Criterion Collection are never going to be happy with a layout because half the fun of being an obsessive nerd over something like the Criterion Collection has been worrying that the kerning of the spine number on your reprint of some film isn't catastrophically destroying the aesthetics of your movie shelf or whatever.

It's fine and it exists and I have a huge catalogue of amazing films available to me now. I'm happy.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

sciencehuh posted:

If anyone here has any feature requests, or notices any bugs, let me know!

I would like to request that you know that I'm really grateful for what you've done here. Good work.

Also I've watched a bunch of "serious" films to start (because I watch more than enough horror and trash elsewhere) but looking at your list there's pretty much no chance that I won't be checking out RODAN tonight.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cloks posted:

I also watched Ali : Fear Eats the Soul Tuesday night and wow, having never seen anything by Fassbinder before, I'm definitely going to dive into the rest of his catalogue. That's the real strength of the channel to me - if there's a director I like, I can easily watch a bunch of their films.

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant is so great.

Beware of a Holy Whore is great too but even better if you watch it after seeing a bunch of his other films because a lot of the actors are mostly portraying each other in real life and its mostly his stable.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

soggybagel posted:

Just got Police Story in the mail today. The transfer looks so drat good. The last time I saw Police Story 1 was on some bad dvd transfer. Really sharp.

I held that BluRay in my hands today but decided against it and halfway home I got whatever the opposite of buyer's remorse is.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

gey muckle mowser posted:

a couple coffin-shaped box sets

"Tombs of the Blind Dead" I'm guessing? Which other coffin shaped set is there?

If Criterion did more weird packaging or alternate packaging, it would probably be a license to print money for them. It would also infuriate a lot of people but that's fine by me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah most Bergman flicks I’ve seen are miserable as hell

You could also watch Hour of the Wolf for all of those times you'd like to be miserable but also feel like you're losing your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7PWFiLkKG4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Chakan posted:

We watched God Told Me To last night and, in a fit of boredom from a meeting, I decided to google any reviews. Roger Ebert did not like the movie.

Roger Ebert had a habit of making GBS threads on movies that he felt were "beneath" him whenever he felt the need to reinforce his self-image as a bohemian intellectual and that particular review is a great example of this.