Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Xenomrph posted:

When’s the next B&N sale supposed to happen? I’ve got a fever, and the only cure is Night of the Living Dead and Silence of the Lambs.

I still have my OG DVD copy of Silence of the Lambs that I bought years ago because I was certain they would never get the rights back and I thought it would be a collectors item. Welp. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Andrei Rublev finally went OOP on DVD, so a Blu upgrade is probably coming soon. It's touring from Janus Films right now.

So what you're saying is I own a collectable OOP Criterion (until the blu comes out and then I'll have to upgrade because the Andrei Rublev DVD is dated as hell)? Nice.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Just bought the 100 Years of Olympic Films boxed set for $200. Please don't judge me.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Has Criterion ever done an April Fools joke list of pending releases? I’d love to see them go all out and make full supplement lists and mock cover art for the Criterion release of, like, Jason X, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, or Jurassic Park III or something.

They should do a mock release of Crank and make the disc look like a re-writable DVD with "gently caress You" written on it. I'd unironically buy that. I also unironically think Crank is a good movie.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Jesus, and I just got the Olympic Films box set. Why does Criterion have such a hard on for my wallet? I guess I'll try and get it on sale next year because I already spent way more money on Criterions this year than I wanted to.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has the Olympic set for only $148, but only for a few hours:
https://www.amazon.com/Years-Olympi...L70_&dpSrc=srch

They really want to poach those wallets heading over to B&N

And it's sold out. drat, that was about $50 less than what I paid. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Didn't expect The Princess Bride. Maybe it's because I don't keep up with all this stuff as closely as many of you do, but it honestly caught me by surprise.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Most of my Criterion purchases are pure blind buys, and the few that I don't really like (Last Year at Marienbad comes to mind for me) are at least movies that I can appreciate. Then again even I haven't gone so far as to blind buy movies that I'm reasonably certain I'll dislike, like Tiny Furniture.

I kind of like Marienbad because I've never been able to finish it without falling asleep. It makes for a great cure for insomnia.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

But I didn't hate it as much as Pierre Le Fou. Christ, I hated that film. I hated every frame of that horrible pretentious piece of crap that masquerades as a film.

Tiny Furniture is at least something that people put time and effort into it, as opposed to PLF, which just felt lazy.

No lie, this post makes me want to go back and rewatch PLF, and that's not something I normally say about Goddard films.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

So we've been on a self-imposed tight budget over the past year in order to pay down debt, so I've forgone the last two Criterion B&N sales. But I can't take it anymore. I need my fix. I'm going to buy ONE this time, and it needs to be a good one.

Which one of these would you guys pick? Taking into consideration both the film and the release.

Stalker
Nashville
Breaking the Waves
Ugetsu
Multiple Maniacs
The Age of Innocence
The Virgin Spring

Stalker, most def.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Radio Spiricom posted:

In the Heat of the Night

If that's true, how many Criterions would that make that have won Best Picture at the Oscars? I can think of six others (It Happened One Night, Rebecca, Hamlet, On the Waterfront, The Last Emperor and The Silence of the Lambs) but I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

E: Oh yeah, and Midnight Cowboy. Knew I was forgetting one.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 1, 2018

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

To Be or Not to Be is hilarious. As if anything directed by Lubitsch and starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard couldn't be. The Mel Brooks remake is surprisingly good, too.

Ended up making one last stop and picked up Seconds on Blu-ray and The Golden Age of Television (plus a cheap DVD set that has all four complete Ed Sullivan episodes featuring The Beatles).

Golden Age of Television is one of the most underappreciated releases in the Criterion in my opinion. There isn't a bad movie in the whole set.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sadly I haven't seen The Magnificent Ambersons so I'll have to pick it up when it drops. The only thing I know it from is that time Gene Siskel referenced it in his legendary burn on Little Indian, Big City.

Also, Some Like It Hot! :woop:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sweet! Pixar is coming to Criterion! Too bad I already own Inside Out on bluray. :downs:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Heads up, TCM are doing a 40% off sale on Criterions and you can get an extra 15% off with the "LABORDAY18" promo code.

https://shop.tcm.com/tcm-studio-shop-criterion-collection/b140446

Many of them are on back order, but there are still a lot of good ones available if anyone's interested.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Couldn't resist the TCM sale...

Tootsie
Blood Simple
The Breakfast Club
Midnight Cowboy
Bull Durham

A lot of it was stuff I was planning to eventually get but I wasn't sure when. I figured the sale was the best opportunity. Watching Bull Durham right now.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Picked up Andrei Rublev and A Matter of Life and Death. I'd get more but I recently had some work done on my car so I don't want to go overboard. Also, Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out next week. :woop:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm probably just going to get the Ingmar Bergman box set, but that should be enough to tide me over until the next sale.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh, drat, Berlin Alexanderplatz is coming on blu-ray? Guess that's as good an excuse as any to finally watch the whole thing.

I bought it on DVD years ago when it was still a relatively new release. It was during a B&N sale and I had a coupon to take an extra ten or twenty percent off so I got it at a huge discount. It's a fascinating watch especially when it goes all Neon Genesis Evangelion with its ending.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Valley of the Dolls needs more montages.

And Beyond the Valley of the Dolls needs more homicidal transvestites.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Is Taste of Cherry any good? The premise seems really interesting but I've never taken the plunge to watch it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Coaaab posted:

i dunno, how much of kiarostami have you seen?

I saw Close-Up a few years ago and I liked it well enough. I'll probably pick Taste of Cherry up later when it goes on sale.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What are people’s favorite romantic movies in the collection? In the Mood for Love notwithstanding, bc I already own that.

Comedy option: In the Realm of the Senses

Seriously though, it's not a comedy and you'll probably regret having watched it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sold out everywhere. At least I have Rosemary's Baby and Days of Heaven. I'm really kicking myself for not getting Nashville when I had the chance.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

barnesandnoble.com is still showing Nashville as in stock.

Oh my God, thank you! :)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm hoping they come around on changing it like they did with the cover for The Makioka Sisters (even though the original cover for that one wasn't too bad).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

What was the original cover for that?

Had to go looking but I believe it was this...

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Picked up the Bruce Lee box set. I've been meaning to get it for a while now and I keep putting it off. Seems like now is the time.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Hope the WALL-E deal gets them access to things I actually care about

I'd like to see if some of Hayao Miyazaki's films could make it into the Criterion. Doesn't Disney still own the publishing rights to most of his work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cloks posted:

G Kids took over distribution rights in 2017, per Kotaku.

Wow, I had no idea. Hard to believe Disney, Devourer of IPs, would fail to re-secure the publishing rights to some of the finest animated films ever made, but I guess Kiki's Delivery Service doesn't bring in the big bucks the way the MCU does.

Also, full restoration of the original Star Wars trilogy when, Criterion?