Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I try not to go too crazy with buying movies, but I admit I have a small Criterion backlog I need to get through. Mostly favorites I've already seen but just haven't watched the Criterion set and perused the features. I'd like to get through the new-to-me stuff for sure. Starting today with the Bruce Lee set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well the Bruce Lee set is off a great start. I don't know what more you can ask out of a movie than Bruce Lee getting shitfaced on Hennessey, waking up in a brothel, and later hitting a guy so hard he goes through the side of a building and leaves a cartoon outline of his own body in the wall.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 3, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is David Lynch The Art Life worth watching?

It's an enjoyable watch for a Lynch fan, but it's not an amazing documentary or anything. It kind of covers Lynch's childhood and young adult life up through the release of Eraserhead. You never hear the interviewer's voice or questions, it's just Lynch kind of responding by telling stories and letting his mind wander. The interview footage is primarily of him working on his visual art, and you see archival photos, etc. It's just a low-key way to spend some time getting to know a wholesome weirdo.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got Crash during the last sale--I've never seen it, and it hasn't been on streaming for awhile, so I finally caved. I'm re-reading the novel first and then taking the plunge.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I took a quick look at it earlier (just over my browser). You could rewind quite a bit, it was towards the end of Chungking Express and it looked like Breathless was on before that. I didn't really watch at any length to check for quality issues, but if they get sorted out it sounds like a fun feature. Even if I wasn't going to watch on their schedule, it could be neat to take a peek once in awhile and file something away for your next watch if it catches your eye.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I e-mailed Criterion support about the names of the movies on 24/7 and they e-mailed me back within 24 hours with a link. :laffo:

https://whatsonnow.criterionchannel.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

lol that's cool. Now they just have to combine the tech!

I'll e-mail again.