Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Filmstruck just put up the entire filmography of David Lean.

That's hot stuff. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a fucken chromecast or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

Yeah. Most of the rest of the film works as a kind of straightforward Hitchcockian thriller, but that epilogue caught me off-guard in a way that a film hasn’t in a while.

Isn't the framing device set up at the beginning, it's just easy to forget about it during the main event? I dunno it's been a couple of years now

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

Are we posting Criterion wuxia wish lists? Because I have a few for that

None of these have a blu-ray release:
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (1984, Lau Kar-Leung)
Dao (1995, Tsui Hark)
Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979, John Woo)

And some Chang Cheh would be great. The Heroic Ones (1970) has a blu-ray release already, but One-Armed Swordsman (1967) and Golden Swallow (1968) do not. I wonder how difficult it would be to license Shaw Bros movies. Amazon has a bunch right now but most of them are English dub only which suuuucks

I love Eight Diagram so much. I keep meaning to do some searching for the original, pre Alex Fu death script but I’m sure it doesn’t exist in English and I’m lazy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I know you’re going stalker and there’s nothing wrong with that but I’d take Nashville and maaaaybe Ugetsu over it honestly.

Nah just Nashville but definitely on that one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I do except that a lot of Dreyer hooks me from the first close up

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

You're a more open viewer than I am. Ordet is one of my favourite films, but every time I rewatch it, it takes me about half an hour before I manage to adjust to its idiosyncratic style.

Out of curiosity, which ones have you seen? There are definitely films by Tarkovsky which I find more laborious to watch than others.

I just really like human faces. If a movie has a cast with a lot of interesting looking people (and I don’t mean beautiful) and it shoots them well I’ll probably like it everything else notwithstanding

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gey muckle mowser posted:

If you count the sequels from the Zatoichi and Lone Wolf + Cub boxsets, quite a lot. Also Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is sort of a sequel

Also lady snowblood: love song of vengeance

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Would an Inland Empire Blu-Ray even be worthwhile? Iirc it was filmed on kinda low res digital.

It looked great in theatres so, probably?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

If anyone was interested, The Numbers lists sales for some Criterion releases:
https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/distributor/Criterion

Notorious hit the top 20 Blu-ray sales for the week of its release, selling 13,000+ copies.

According to their listing, among their best-selling titles: Blow-Up, They Live By Night, The Uninvited, F for Fake (!), Chimes at Midnight, The Asphalt Jungle, In a Lonely Place, A Brighter Summer Day, Watership Down, Macbeth, My Darling Clementine, Tokyo Story, Blue is the Warmest Color (possibly their best-selling)

Will check it out.

I don’t know exactly what I was expecting but that list really surprises me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FitFortDanga posted:

Umm, this looks pretty suspect. A lot of titles missing from that list, including presumably huge sellers like Beastie Boys, Punch-Drunk Love, a lot of the Wes Anderson, Chasing Amy, Michael Bay, et cetera. Also, Life Aquatic, Fear and Loathing, and Mulholland Drive made ZERO dollars? I don't think so, fellas. This looks like meaningless data to me.

Yeah the idea that none of Wes Anderson’s movies are at the top makes me figure this is bunk data

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The first month lineup is sick as heck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

There's some kind of bug where when you add an extra from a movie to your watchlist, it adds the movie itself to your list, even if it's already in your list. So you can have multiple listings for Virgin Suicides in your watchlist, and I'm not sure if they're linked to the extras or what.

Also, another thing that's bugging me about the whole layout is those icons like the above one for Lick the Star. That is how all of the movie icons look, even on a 60 inch tv, so I can barely make out what it is, and can't read the director's name at all.

Yeah icons look trash and the interface is weak (but merely average by standards of streaming services) but who cares with this library?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

The RokuTV app works, but there's no way to access any extras/special features that aren't showcased on the front page. The only way to watch them through the RokuApp was to add the extras to my list via iOS app or the desktop app and then scroll through My List to watch them.

I e-mailed them about it, and a few other features that would be nice. (I also said nice things.)

I wondered if I was missing something on the extras

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sciencehuh posted:

That was me! The number changed because I originally scraped from Canada, not realizing the libraries were different. The new default is the USA library, and you can click the little flag to switch to the Canadian library and back.

If anyone here has any feature requests, or notices any bugs, let me know!

Stalker comes up under Russian Federation while all other Tarkovsky flicks show Soviet Union btw

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sciencehuh posted:

Oh god, I know. That weirdness comes straight from Criterion. There's also 320 films with "United States" as their country, and 1 with "Usa". Feels like a lot of their site was put together by data entry interns. Not sure how I'll fix this, but I probably should.

I like the “Taiwan, province of China” vs “Taiwan” :china:

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 9, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FitFortDanga posted:

You’ve watched 851 of 1489

:smuggo:

If you think about, this merely means the service has less value for you. You’re being ripped off in a way

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Not to undersell their capabilities, but Criterion is essentially a boutique video label and launching the channel, even in the state that it’s in, was probably a massive undertaking.

They also clearly bought and repurposed part of it, hence every movie and its extras being labeled as seasons and episodes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

Same exact poo poo happened to me while watching The Big Heat.

Happened to me with terror of mechagodzilla this morning, don’t think it’s tied to certain videos

Edit: I did notice that the minute tracker does not include anything after the error, so you can’t fast forward into it and the movies appear to be several minutes shorter than they are. I was on roku app, which played nightfall and dragon inn just fine, and I watched experiment in terror on iPhone with no issues

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 13, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cloks posted:

I loved some aspects of So Dark the Night but man that ending was Psycho levels of this isn't how any of this works.

I hope they're working on better film presentation through the channel, right now you either have to have a broad idea of what you're looking for, know exactly what you want or be happy with what's on the front page. There's a TON of stuff in the catalog that won't be exposed because it's obscure. I watched Peppermint Frappe last week and the only way I found that film was because I had written it down when it was featured on Filmstruck.

I also watched Ali : Fear Eats the Soul Tuesday night and wow, having never seen anything by Fassbinder before, I'm definitely going to dive into the rest of his catalogue. That's the real strength of the channel to me - if there's a director I like, I can easily watch a bunch of their films.

The collections are going to rotate/expand, so if you just watch stuff from those it'll be a bit like one of those curated services. I actually really like that, i never do the netflix thing where you just endlessly scroll through poo poo, pick nothing and then get bored and move on

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion will be sending out all the charter (early) subscribers a steel membership card.

I don’t know what I’m going to do with this but I’m amused

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

The Most Beautiful and One Wonderful Sunday are pretty bad too.

I'm tempted to throw The Idiot in there as well though its a bit different of a case considering how badly cut up it was.

Can't say I liked Red Beard or Dodes'ka-den very much either.

What’s your problem with Dodes’ka-den?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

Mostly I just find it pretty meandering. For personal reasons too, the way some characters in the film talk about the kid who likes trains hits a little too close to home for me since my little brother is mentally retarded.

In general I think Kurosawa was better at exploring social themes through the context of his genre films (High & Low again being an example) than when he tried to approach those themes more directly in movies like this.

It’s definitely meandering, by design of course as it’s really a series of vignettes with a frame story but I guess if you don’t like that structure you don’t. Obviously the latter makes sense too and isn’t something I could speak to. I was thinking you meant something more specific about the look or narrative of the film, I don’t really see the distinction between how Dodes’ka-den portrays post war social structure and how high and low does that. Both are highly stylized portrayals of more or less “realistic” social relations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

Thief is great and I like it more than Heat

Heat barely rates for me. I like half a dozen Mann movies more

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nic Roeg collection this month isn't exactly a series of deep cuts by CC standards, but if you haven't seen of them...you ought

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CRAYON posted:

Last sale I blind bought Carnival of Souls, The Night of the Hunter and The Vanishing. They were all pretty awesome, I especially loved Carnival of Souls.

I would love some recommends based on any of the previous titles.

Don’t Look Now, Repulsion, you’ve already gotten a lot of other good suggestions

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is Dragon Inn as good as A Touch of Zen?

No but it has way more moments where I yelled “holy poo poo” out loud and a better villain. It’s a stone cold classic for sure. Also seeing Chun Shi play two dead opposite characters is fun, though tbf Touch of Zen is where he’s playing against type

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

immortalyawn posted:

Haxan gets a lot of mentions online, it is what it is, but the amount of attention is undeserved. It's akin to that moronic Bella in the witch elm story, the film Begotten, or the word "intriguing", not in that it's annoying or bad, but it's unjustified hype and attention is just that.

The hype around the word intriguing is unjustified

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently, people picking up Polyester are reporting the included Odorama card causes the inside of the case to smell bad.

One would hope

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The godzilla thread won’t answer me so maybe you jerks will, which of the Godzilla flicks have dubs on the box set? My kids will watch them subbed but they ask waaaay more questions

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

About half of them:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Invasion of Astro Monster
Son of Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
Terror of MechaGodzilla

Thank you, jerk

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Box sets for Fellini, Wong Kar-Wai, Agnes Varda, and Bruce Lee (Bruised Lee)

Also, if you have The Criterion Channel, the 4K restoration of The Court Jester is making its worldwide premiere.

Hot drat

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ratedargh posted:

Tonight is the final night for the 70s Sci Fi series on the Channel...should I watch Mad Max, Logan's Run, or Soylent Green? I've never seen any of them.

Or should I say screw the Sci Fi set and watch Kes, which is also leaving.

Easily mad max of those three. I haven’t seen Kes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

i thought i wasn't gonna buy anything this sale because there are so many things I'm waiting to buy that come out between now and the summer sale, but i am weak and will buy a few. I've decided I want to start actively looking for female directors because the only Criterion I've bought to this point by a female director is Virgin Suicides, so I added a bunch to my wishlist. I think this time I'm getting Harlan County USA and Jeanne Dielman because those were the ones that struck me the most. I'm also getting Paris is Burning, which has a female director but that was more happenstance than anything else.

All three of those are loving great so good call

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gently caress Bezos.

All The other companies are also owned by evil rich people so :shrug:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He's the rich person with the worst name and the ugliest face. Happy now?

Whoa man I dunno. There’s a LOT of ugly rich people

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It was a shitshow the first month after release, with errors that made movies basically unwatchable on a lot of platforms, but I haven’t had any issues since. I regularly watch things using a roku tv and on an iPhone

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't collect physical media really so i might use mine to buy one of those House t shirts

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

I'm pretty sure those codes don't work in the gift shop.

They do in fact

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Man who fell to earth and 3 days of the condor are on prime video so if you’re prioritizing stuff you would have to pay for otherwise maybe not those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m aiming for Klute, Draughtsman’s Contract, and Vanya on 42nd Street. I’d like to have time for I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone and Performance too but we’ll see what time permits