Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Not even necessarily ironic. I'm sure there's a lot of "lovely" movies that people would just appreciate a nicer release of with lots of nice extras. Also that cover is boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

A Touch of Zen is coming

Where'd you hear this?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is Criterion just done with doing commentary tracks?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I thought the touch of zen boxart was fan art when I saw it earlier, but I'm excited it's coming out anyway

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is Turner Classic Movies a thing in other countries? I assume they could try launching in other territories in its successful, but it could be a bitch to work all those licenses out

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

No Curse of the Cat People? Bummer

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I got my B&N order today and they accidentally stuck in a copy of Traffic. Hooray?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Cacator posted:

Would I like Blow Out if I hated Blow Up?

I dislike Blow Up and Blow Out is one of my favorite movies, so

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Unmature posted:

The Filmstruck beta site is so terrible it's keeping me from wanting to watch anything on it. Not even just beta stuff, it's so poorly put together in ways that a decade of streaming should make obvious in the earliest stages.

I realized that every web thing TCM has tried to do is pretty piss poor so I'm not too optimistic about it. I just hope it gets a fair amount of stuff I want to watch and has a decent way of sorting through it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Fire TV app is super good. I don't really understand why anybody tries to use streaming services on PC. The cost of entry is so low.

(this wasn't directed at unmature. i can understand using the pc when the testing platforms are limited)

at this point HDMI ports are a more valuable resource than money, so it's a shame more streaming options don't come to PS4. I'd love a WatchTCM app for it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Is there any reason you don't want to mention specific titles? I'm part of the beta but I don't remember any NDA or anything

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

It stopped working for me already, but I hope the website gets better by the time it launches because it's terrible. Movie selection seems nice though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'd say just from the films available it's a must buy, but the special features are a nice addition. I really hope they expand their platforms before the year's out.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Rusty Staub posted:

Filmstruck is back up and looking pretty drat smooth

already looks a 1000x better than the beta. still don't love the pop-up window on window thing for the video player though

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

There are definitely special features for more than one movie. Maybe that's only for people who aren't subscribed to the Criterion Channel tier. Anyway, they're also producing supplements themselves, by people like Tony Zhou for instance

https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/793845389577170944

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Here's the text: "Each Wednesday, we feature a complete Criterion Collection edition. This week: David Lynch's MULHOLLAND DR. with all its special features." I think it's just saying that every week they're going to highlight a movie that has all the disc supplements available to stream.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

So is the entire collection, sans oop titles, available on Criterion Channel? It only says "the largest selection anywhere", not complete, which gives me pause. I remember there were several times I'd want to watch a title on Hulu and find out it wasn't there.

It's the same deal as Hulu.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

No. They're supposed to be rotating films weekly or something, it's vague. There are a shitload of movies up but it's not literally everything.

The rotating films thing only applies to base Film Struck. Paying extra for the Criterion Channel means access to the larger library of titles, like how it is now on Hulu. It's not actually that confusing.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryangallagher/status/796907151461478400

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if they do it one more time i'm going to assume its intentional on their part

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Rusty Staub posted:

i'll fight all of you

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

What the hell took them so long with Blow Up? Is that just a blu ray upgrade because I figured they'd have put that out on DVD years ago.

this is their first DVD/blu ray release of Blow Up. you might be thinking of Blow Out

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

thats a ridiculously good month

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Fighting Elegy and Gate of Flesh both have had Criterion releases, Detective Bureau 2-3 was on Netflix at some point, and his Lupin movie has had some sort of release.

Most of his later releases have been shown in the West in some capacity, but I think they tend to get overlooked. His earlier stuff and his TV work though is harder to find or doesn't have English subs readily available which sucks

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't know why people wouldn't just direct that movement towards Funi or some other company that would obviously be more interested

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Nroo posted:

The biggest question is when are they ever going to re-release The Killer and Hard Boiled ??????

criterion's output of Chinese/Hong Kong movies is depressingly puny

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the idea that criterion only puts out the best and most important films is also stupid. it's all about marketing, the deals they can make, and whoever works at criterions personal taste

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

honestly criterion's recent focus on more mainstream hollywood stuff is kinda disappointing

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I really don't care about packaging or books or nice menus and I know they still put out a lot of non-American studio stuff, I just feel like the ratio has shifted as time has gone along. There's other imprints like Arrow which have picked up some of that lapse, but there's still a ton of lesser known poo poo I'm more interested in being readily available than another Kubrick release

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Possibly a ref there to the Every Frame A Painting folks doing something

pretty sure they've done some videos for filmstruck already, not sure which ones though

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Tati owns but don't forget to pick up the (non-Criterion) The Illusionist, which Sylvain Chomet adapted from a Tati script.

counter-point: it sucks, can't touch anything real-Tati with 10 foot pole

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Probably true that it couldn't possibly stand up to actual Tati films, but what about the animation? Is it up to the same level as Triplets of Bellville?

yeah the animation is nice, but i find the story repulsive and stupidly sentimental

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

They updated the artwork for The Tree of Life

nice easy listening album art

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

criterion selection standards are fake and any movie can be a criterion

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

that just sounds like the new Warner streaming thing will include either a Criterion channel add-on similar to filmstruck, or just some assortment of content from criterion, and not that subscribing to this criterion current will give you access to anything on that warner service

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

police story is cool and all but its a shame eureka has a whole slate of already released and upcoming HK stuff (including Police Story 1/2) and who knows how much of it will come over to the USA

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

other than that documentary the blue velvet bluray is still in print, looks great, and you can get it for $6

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

NightConqueror posted:

holy moly, what a disaster. No Chromecast support AND I can't watch it on an "external monitor". like drat I want to pay for this service but they are making it hard as gently caress to use it.

i got around the external monitor by starting a video in Edge, and then connecting the other monitor. finally a use for Edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

discotek already does criterion-level releases of stuff for anime. at this point i just want more niche labels to get bigger recognition, i don't give a gently caress if it's criterion. it's kinda exhausting hearing people beg for things that criterion will almost never release because of whatever biases they have or have had in the past