Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Yeah, Jingoku sounds right. Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Yeah, Jingoku sounds right. Any good?

*Jigoku (Correcting myself) is definitely worth watching if you've any interest in the premise.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"Jigoku" is a lot of fun, but a little confusing for how many characters you're following over such a short period of time. Very, very unusual film in how it progresses and where it eventually ends up. Tamura is a great character.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I caught Carnival of Souls on TCM and it seemed to be the new restoration. It literally looks and sounds like a brand new movie, fresh out of the camera.

The acting wasn't that great, but I loved the dream-like atmosphere and it's beautifully shot. The score really adds a lot to it, too.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

The Tree of Life confirmed for next year per CriterionForum. It'll have the theatrical and a new extended cut.

https://m.facebook.com/OneBigSoul.TheTerrenceMalickCommunity/posts/879123302188094?__mref=message_bubble

I love the movie, but am fairly happy with the release I already have. I'd have to hear that the extended cut was amazing to double dip.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Anyway, I wanted to mention Alice, Sweet Alice, but it turns out that's not in the Criterion collection. Huh.

I had Don't Look Now confused with this movie. I had no idea they were so similar until just now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Sale's up, go hog wilde

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I, Butthole posted:

Sale's up, go hog wilde

I'm going to buy the entire Criterion Collection

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Lol, you bought border radio

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Enjoy Tiny Furniture

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I didn't say this was without sacrifices

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Filmstruck is back up and looking pretty drat smooth

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

If you happen to include in your order $40 worth of non-sale items you can use the coupon BNRMN20 which will apply 20% off to your entire purchase including any Criterion purchases.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Rusty Staub posted:

Filmstruck is back up and looking pretty drat smooth

already looks a 1000x better than the beta. still don't love the pop-up window on window thing for the video player though

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Welles' Othello is on there but it's the '92 restoration

but DumbLand is also on there, and gently caress yeah

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How are the audio commentaries on The Blob?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Rusty Staub posted:

but DumbLand is also on there, and gently caress yeah

DumbLand is worth it entirely for the ant tap dance.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll probably order more later in the month, but...

Eraserhead
Blood Simple
Foreign Correspondent
By Brakhage

I actually bought the Brakhage set a while ago, but sold it when I was short on cash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm a one-armed duck fucker.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm a one-armed duck fucker.

you are a poo poo head
poo poo head poo poo head

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
It's been a while since I've indulged because the Canadian $ is so poo poo and has been for some time, but it's still cheaper than taking the plunge at HMV or Amazon.ca.

My order is small but mighty:

McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Chimes at Midnight
Close-Up
A Touch of Zen

The latter two are blind buys. I'm a huge fan of the Altman and the Welles, already.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its annoying as hell that the Del Toro boxset has a totally normal shape and the blu ray version is a very odd cube. Its actually important enough to me that I'm going to pass on it and just pick up Pans Labyrinth individually. Cronos didn't exactly blow me away, so its no huge loss.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I didn't realize Picnic at Hanging Rock came with a copy of the book. Pretty awesome.

Also I got my movies finally! 10 days after USPS claims they delivered.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm still reeling from the last sale so I just got New World and Dr Strangelove.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Fuckin' AAAAAAAAANTS! :bahgawd:

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Started slow and only picked up Two Lane Blacktop and Inside Llewyn Davis. Might go back for a few more, but pretty content so far.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Went for Lone Wolf and Cub, Del Toro Triology, Dreams, Chimes at Midnight and Repo Man.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like Filmstruck is up for real now. Beta testers get it free through the end of 2016 with the account you used during the beta, if you didn't get the e-mail for whatever reason.

If you were hoping they'd have all the special features up for all the movies, it looks like only one movie a week is getting all the supplements put online. This week it's Mulholland Drive.

Edit: Blood Simple is getting the same treatment too right now even though it says one a week on each film's page

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 2, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Does Filmstruck have audio commentary tracks, where applicable?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you were hoping they'd have all the special features up for all the movies, it looks like only one movie a week is getting all the supplements put online. This week it's Mulholland Drive.

Edit: Blood Simple is getting the same treatment too right now even though it says one a week on each film's page

Zero reason to subscribe, then. gently caress

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Slate Action posted:

Does Filmstruck have audio commentary tracks, where applicable?

Apparently neither Blood Simple nor Mulholland Drive have commentaries on the disc, so I have no idea. Looking at reviews, everything else is there, minus essays or whatever from the booklet.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

You've really seen all of the films in the Criterion collection that you're interested in? Jeez, I feel like there's so much there that I won't be able to get through it for a really long time, but maybe that's because I've only become a serious film lover in the past few years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since you can pick preorders for B&N, I picked up Akira Kurosawa's Dreams and Dekalog. I literally have no idea what to expect from Dekalog, it's basically a blind buy, but based on comments in here from the initial Criterion sale in October it sounds like a great release.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Okay, the site is confusing as gently caress and half-baked, but poking through it more it looks like:

There are two subscription tiers, Filmstruck and Filmstruck + Criterion Channel. Anything that's just on the "Filmstruck" part has no supplements, but things on the "Criterion Channel" have the interviews and stuff but no commentary. Some movies are on both and you can only tell the difference you're getting by looking for a criterion logo.

I suggest holding off on using the free trial to check it out until they get the navigation and stuff worked out a little better, right now it's kinda lame. I can't even tell if the movies having supplements is intended behavior or not, because they make a big point of it only being on certain movies on the front page of the site.

Edit: Or maybe some movies just have them and some don't. It's a mess.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

blue squares posted:

Really? Hundreds and hundreds of great movies streaming in HD isn't reason enough?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

There are definitely special features for more than one movie. Maybe that's only for people who aren't subscribed to the Criterion Channel tier. Anyway, they're also producing supplements themselves, by people like Tony Zhou for instance

https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/793845389577170944

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm not really sure what long-rear end nips Diane is talking about. Alot of movies have supplements. There's no extras barrier between tiers. Just some movies have a bunch of extras. Some don't.

The frontpage is collections and (in terms of Criterion Channel) highlighting a specific movie. I don't think getting highlighted means that they'll have more extras.

The only difference between tiers is that Filmstruck is suppose to be a rotating catalog of movies from a variety of movie companies and The Criterion Channel is meant to be a more permanent collection.

According to /r/Criterion, these are the movies that have commentary available. Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, Silence Of The Lambs, City Lights, Testament of Dr. Mabuse, The Thief of Bagdad, Stagecoach, Lord of the Flies, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Mona Lisa, The Player, Shoot the Piano Player. Which is pretty cool since Silence Of The Lambs and Mona Lisa are both OOP on physical media.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Here's the text: "Each Wednesday, we feature a complete Criterion Collection edition. This week: David Lynch's MULHOLLAND DR. with all its special features." I think it's just saying that every week they're going to highlight a movie that has all the disc supplements available to stream.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm not really sure what long-rear end nips Diane is talking about. Alot of movies have supplements. There's no extras barrier between tiers. Just some movies have a bunch of extras. Some don't.

The frontpage is collections and (in terms of Criterion Channel) highlighting a specific movie. I don't think getting highlighted means that they'll have more extras.

It specifically says they're supposed to.

There's no good messaging or organization on the site, it's really confusing as to what's supposed to be happening, and it doesn't even always list what supplements are around in the little summaries for movie collections. It doesn't even tell you there's a commentary track available for a movie, you literally have to play it and check the settings to see if there's an audio option.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 2, 2016

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So is the entire collection, sans oop titles, available on Criterion Channel? It only says "the largest selection anywhere", not complete, which gives me pause. I remember there were several times I'd want to watch a title on Hulu and find out it wasn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Origami Dali posted:

So is the entire collection, sans oop titles, available on Criterion Channel? It only says "the largest selection anywhere", not complete, which gives me pause. I remember there were several times I'd want to watch a title on Hulu and find out it wasn't there.

No. They're supposed to be rotating films weekly or something, it's vague. There are a shitload of movies up but it's not literally everything.