Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a reason why the Criterion blu-ray for Benjamin Button on Amazon is much cheaper than it should be (costing $5.99)? Even aside from the Thanksgiving week sale, its MSRP is listed as $22.98 instead of the $39.99 it is on criterion.com. Also, the picture on Amazon has the usual blue plastic of a blu-ray, as opposed to Criterion's colored plastic. Did I miss something?

It's a terrible movie and pretty much every Criterion customer wouldn't seriously buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Asnorban posted:

My experience isn't so hot. My Walkabout bluray came with a scratch on it so that part of the film won't play. They said they would send a new one and after a few emails back and forth it never came. Maybe I will try again soon.

That's happened to me a couple of times. Just ask Jon if it was sent out yet and he'll probably respond with that it was sent out but probably got lost in the mail and will send another one.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oh boy, looks like it's gonna be another big rear end batch of Criterion BDs for me. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

bat duck posted:

Talking of Branded to kill. Where anyone else really distracted by Shishidos cheeks? I thought it was cosmetics added for the movie for some reason I couldn't figure out, then I read he actually had surgery to look like that.

It was a botched plastic surgery job. He wanted to have a more "exotic" (read: Caucasian) look so he opted to get surgery to get higher, more defined cheek bones. Obviously did not pan out. If you look at pictures of him pre-surgery, he actually looked really handsome and it was a shame he decided to destroy his face like that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ugh, why you do these things, Criterion?

The Darjeeling Limited
Ivan's Childhood
On the Waterfront
Rushmore

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has a 50% off sale on most Criterion Blus right now.

Thanks, there goes more of my money. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I have to sit out this time. The last time there was a 50% off Criterion sale at B&N, this happened:

:smithicide:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

friendo55 posted:

I remember asking this a couple years ago, but figure it's worth hearing some new opinions.
There just seems to be so many great Eclipse sets and unsure which ones are really worth spending the money on.

Does anyone have any favourite sets? Which ones are most essential?
I'm thinking the Samuel Fuller set is right up my alley, and with this sale I figure these are worth discussing.

If you can find a copy for cheap, I'd recommend Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy. Other than that, I recommend Oshima's Outlaw Sixties if leftist Japanese New Wave interests you.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Oh my god, if there was a 90 minute Hausu film of this, I'd watch it forever. :swoon:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)

Uh, that's actually Hong Kong cinema (adapted from a Japanese manga).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Just saw and goddammit I'm at work.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
It was my birthday so my brother got me "Thief" and "Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion" since I was at work and couldn't buy any Criterions.

Then I went home and got my own basket: Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman, John Cassavetes: Five Films, Band of Outsiders, Marketa Lazarová, Ministry of Fear, Pier Paolo Pasolini's Trilogy of Life, and Weekend (Godard). And I totally forgot to use my $50 gift certificate from before, so I may get more tomorrow.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Ratedargh posted:

On a related note, I've never grabbed an Eclipse set...which ones are among your favourites?

The out-of-print Carlos Saura Flamenco trilogy is really good, and I really love Nagisa Oshima's Outlaw Sixties, though Oshima is a bit of an acquired taste.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

fenix down posted:

Was wondering when the next flash sale would be[/url]

It's going to either be in September or October.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
FINALLY, they're releasing Eraserhead in September.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
So it starts online tomorrow (in stores Tuesday). Probably skipping out again though since I can't afford to spend the money (unlike previous times).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Toebone posted:

I just got a B&N 15% Off Single Item coupon in my email, anyone know if it'll work with the Criterion sale? I was gonna skip this time around, but if I can get 50 + 10 + 15% off I can't pass that up.

The terms state that it can't be combined with any promotional discounts so probably not.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Children of Paradise

DO NOT get "Children of Paradise" because Pathe really screwed up the restoration on this one.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Not to mention Criterion has their own 50% off sale in late September/early October and mid/late February.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
It's probably going to use the same transfer as the really good one that Arrow put out.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Also a lot of people were saying that there would be a flash sale today, and it looks like a lot of people were wrong.

It's generally during this time of the month (end of September/beginning of October) so I'd imagine it'd be coming within the next week or so.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I ended up getting:

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Breaking the Waves
Eraserhead
The Game
Heaven's Gate
L'Eclisse
La Notte
Nashville
Rosemary's Baby
Two Lane Blacktop

However, I tried to combine the promo code and my two $50 gift certificates when I did this but it somehow didn't register so I'm trying to get that sorted out with Criterion.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

friendo55 posted:

I forget the last time I've asked this during these sales, but are there any Eclipse sets that I could use this extra 20% on? Any that are must-owns?

Maybe Pearls of the Czech New Wave or Oshima's Outlaw Sixties (a personal favorite of mine).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Just tried to use the Black Friday code and it doesn't work with the Criterions.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

It's only valid on Thanksgiving and Black Friday though right?

d'oh, you're right. :downs:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for the heads up. Ended up getting the Les Blank set.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ended up getting:

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Watership Down
Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
Sword of Doom
Persona
Still Walking
The Magician
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

I really wanted to get "Time Bandits" and "Don't Look Now" but I was in the middle of a 9 hour block of classes. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I'd also recommend Oshima's Outlaw Sixties. Incredibly interesting but lesser known movies from Nagisa Oshima after he formed the Art Theatre Guild.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Woops, I confused Sōzōsha with the ATG. My bad.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I'm still holding out for "Kindergarten Cop".

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I ended up getting:

A Hollis Frampton Odyssey
The Black Stallion
By Brackhage
Cries and Whispers
F for Fake
Hiroshima mon amour
Life of Oharu
The Qatsi Trilogy
The Thin Blue Line
Time Bandits

And they gave me another $50 gift certificate just for that order. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Holy poo poo, Oshima's Death by Hanging is finally getting a release on BD. :circlefap:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ended up getting Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood, and Kuroneko since those were the only ones I didn't have from the sale.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I'm glad I woke up early on my birthday today or else I wouldn't have got the Flash sale notice. :circlefap:

Ended up getting

The Complete Lady Snowblood
Ikiru
The Apu Trilogy
In Cold Blood
Mulholland Dr.
Kwaidan
Death by Hanging
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Rose
Day for Night
High and Low
Kagemusha
Paris, Texas

Might go back later tonight and see what's left from my wishlist.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cloks posted:

Is the BBS set going OOP because of Head?

That's the rumor going around, yeah.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
And here's mine

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Criterion release that this thread has universally gotten behind as, "yeah, that one's not so good."

Tiny Furniture

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Got my order in.

The Player
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Blood Simple
Dekalog
Trilogiía de Guillermo del Toro
Short Cuts
A Brighter Summer Day
I Knew Her Well
In a Lonely Place
Dr. Strangelove
The New World

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Jeanne Dielman
Music in the Air

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Anyone here got the Arrow Video bluray of DePalma's Sisters?

I do. What question(s) do you have?