Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Cinematographer Kim Hyung Ku came to my film school and did a talk about Memories of Murder where he showed clips from his personal copy of it and it matches the Criterion. Old trailers of MoM also match the Criterion color grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I wonder what Christopher Doyle and Lee Ping Bin have to say about the new color grades.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Checked the screencaps on DVDBeaver and the film's color palette just looks more natural now. As for the cropping, the frames are tighter and maybe they could have a bit more breathing room and head room so there aren't haircuts but I have no idea if that was the original framing from the original theatrical presentation.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

DetoxP posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if the new one looks better but surely we're not taking the original Universal transfer as gospel, right?

People still talk about Bluray color timings not being right based off VHS tapes so

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Gripweed posted:

they're doing 30% off all May for some reason.

Probably trying to stay afloat

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I took a class with Nic Meyer (dir. of Wrath of Khan) and he screened The Manchurian Candidate to my class, a third of which were mainland Chinese students. Yeah, they all walked out of the screening :v:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

Here's an unsolicited recommendation of Funeral Parade of Roses on the channel

I will second that recommendation.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

good info dump

Thanks for the great info, Egbert.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The Barnes and Noble membership no longer stacks with the Criterion sale! This is the worst thing that has happened in the past 18 months.

Mine never did so you've now joined me. :smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I wish they kept the extended ending where Graham goes to the house of the next planned victims to test himself to see if he got too much into Dolarhyde's mind.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
My guess is 59.99 MSRP for Criterion UHDs.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Here's my question: Should I watch one of the films featured in the first collection-- Love is Colder Than Death (1969). Katzelmacher (1969), Beware of a Holy Whore (1971) ,The Merchant of Four Seasons (1971) , The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972)-- or is there a different, more definitive introductory work by him available on Criterion Channel?

Honestly, I think the only one I wouldn't recommend watching as a first RWF film is "Love is Colder Than Death". All the other ones should be good.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ended up getting:

After Life
Come and See
Memories of Murder
Mirror

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't there normally a February sale at B&N? Are they not having it this year?

No, that's Criterion's Flash Sale in February and October, usually the last Tuesday of the month. B&N is the months of July and November.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, when I lived in Japan, I spoke to a bunch of film people there and asked them about their opinions of Kurosawa and it was universally negative. "Too Western" was the note.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
The names I heard thrown around the most when I was there was Mizoguchi, Ozu, and Kinoshita for the old guard. You'll pretty much never hear anyone talk about Japanese New Wave unless they're a diehard cinemaphile but even then, you probably won't hear Ōshima's name thrown around because of his politics and sympathetic views towards Koreans.

I think one of the big problems is how cinema and canon are taught in Japan. I dated someone who was studying to be an editor at the Japan Institute of Moving Images for a little bit and they're pretty much taught a very small and specific canon of films considered "right" and "correct" (and all Japanese). I once tried to talk to her about Walter Murch and the editing in the Godfather I and II and she wasn't having any of that.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 11, 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Doesn't seem to reflect the supposed anti Kurosawa feeling at all. Interesting that even in Japan they won't give credit to any other animation directors beyond Miyazaki. A similar list by English language speakers would probably be pulpier, with more animation and more directorial variety, but I bet it would be pretty similar.

I'd take it with a grain of salt since Kinema Junpo readers are pretty much the Criterion people of Japan, so they're more well-versed and openminded than the average Japanese film goer.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, much of it is that other companies have caught up to Criterion in terms of technology and the quality of restoration work, and I would argue some have surpassed Criterion at this point.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Steen71 posted:

And if you're wondering exactly how the scene plays out now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcYCOq-XqI

It's just pointless and removes a great character moment.

While I lament the cutting of that line and not being the original theatrical version, I can see why the Coens did it. The sequence is funny enough as it is and the line is sort of a "hat on a hat" situation.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I disagree. Without "Jesus Tom", you kinda miss extra layers. That they're friendly enough to be on a first name basis, and that the guy's just doing his job, the whole act of being him up is a perfunctory thing that's "just gotta be done", and it's funnier that his feelings are hurt because Tom went for his nose, with a CHAIR of all things.

It's like if you cut out the joke about getting Norm nightcrawlers in Fargo. The scene's already darkly funny, you already know Marge is a thoughtful wife, you know there's a simplicity to the characters, so you don't need it, but it's also one of the best jokes in the movie for all it adds.

I said I can see why they did it, I didn't say I agreed with it. :v:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

checkplease posted:

I see the channel has added a lot of Junzo Itami films. I love Tampopo. Any other of these that people recommend?

Absolutely watch The Funeral.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I don’t have a problem with WKW reediting his movies, but I firmly believe he should have provided the original versions with the release.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

checkplease posted:

I saw the original version Chungking is on the channel. It’s not on the disc too?

Nope. Original Chungking Express isn't in the World of Wong Kar-Wai box set, just the individual release.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm assuming Power of the Dog has a typo, otherwise 2.28:1 is a very specific aspect ratio.

We live in a post-aspect ratio world so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go with something splitting the difference between 2.20 and 2.35/2.40.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
8k Freddy Got Fingered when

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oh wow, Teknolust? That's gonna be interesting to revisit again (Lynn Hershman Leeson was one of my professors in undergrad until she was forced into retirement).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

she came to one of my film class lectures at cal in the early 2000s and told us she was working on a modern version of Frankenstein

Yeah, I spoke to her about that when she came back for some event at my undergrad after her forced retirement. It was supposed to star Tilda Swinton but I guess it never got off the ground due to funding and Swinton’s star rising astronomically in the years since doing Teknolust.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 17, 2023

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
MS Gundam is so good but yea, be aware of the slow pace. I remember telling a bunch of friends in undergrad how much I liked the original MS Gundam and I got shouted down primarily because they weren’t patient enough to watch the entire thing through. :smith:

If you like it, highly recommend moving onto the sequel Zeta Gundam. Even better than the original but man, prepare to be bummed out (in a good way).

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 18, 2023

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Brexit the Frog posted:

gimme some more goddamned Oshima in HD

Violence at Noon would look great in HD

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Oh man, just watching him get dragged :lol:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

criterion not sending their best for years now. plenty of other boutiques in town.

Yeah. At least in my personal boutique tier list, Criterion dropped from S to A tier at least five years ago and with other boutiques coming in and actually doing better work on movies you wouldn't even imagine getting that kind of treatment, they might be dropping to B tier sooner than later.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

This might be a hot take, but I think Criterion's covers are more often bad than good.

Not a hot take.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Criterion hasn't sent me any codes in years, and I just re-subscribed to the Criterion Channel. They're probably mad I don't spend $300 during flash sales anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
They’re probably just trying to get rid of any Eclipse stock they have since that’s a dead sublabel for them.