Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Whilst farting I posted:

There's a movie where a kid climbs to the top of playground equipment, like a castle? or something, and jumps off. He/she either breaks his arm or a parent catches him/her. The kid either is possessed or coerced to do this by another child, or did it under extreme stress, or something. It is NOT Let the Right One In, but is probably from the past 10-20 years. I think the parent/babysitter was sitting on a bench. I do not remember when or where I saw this, probably within the past 10 years. :(

The Good Son, perhaps?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107034/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

General Bort posted:

Some years ago I watched a movie on TV. For some reason it suddenly popped into my brain. There was a young man who goes into a police station and starts confessing about his life with his crazy father who is a serial killer. The dad thinks that some people are demons and he is chosen to kill them with some special axe. He let's his two sons (who are only children) help with catching the "demons". IIRC it turns out that the dad was right and that whole confession thing was just a ruse to kill the police detective, who is a demon.

Frailty
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

wyoming posted:

I honestly have no context for this, just something I remembered seeing as a kid. A guy in a suit purposely runs over a kid with his car, he then gets out of his car and wipes the blood off his bumper with a handkerchief.

Could it be the original Death Race 2000?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

kernel panic posted:

A request my mom put up on facebook:

I suggested the first episode of Lost, and she replied with this:

Any ideas? We've also ruled out Flight. It could have been a TV show too.

Didn't something like that happen in Fight Club?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Alright, here's one. I saw this at my grandfather's place when I was like 10 or so. There's a scene where a dude is being controlled by invisible puppet strings to walk through a hospital. We see the puppetmaster silhouetted above the hospital. The guy is forced to walk to the roof of the hospital, where he jumps off. That's all I can remember, and I've been trying to remember what it's from for so long.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

nocal posted:

I finally thought of a long-shot for this thread.

The English band Wire has a song called French Film Blurred. The lyrics seemingly make no sense, but as the story goes, a band member caught snippets of a French movie on TV and was struck by the imagery. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with any possibilities.

The imagery that seems to stick out is:

he fell and lay dead amongst the fireworks display.

Secured you a concrete grave beneath the motorway.

Gold scissors cut the ribbon and set them loose.
On the opening days the vibrations will shake your bones

I think they're actually referencing a Polish film named Ashes and Diamonds

Price Check fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 25, 2013

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Megabound posted:

I remember watching this movie on SBS about 10 years ago. The movie follows a detective who's hired to figure out why peoples heads are exploding, as it turns out everyone who has suffered this "Head-explode-itis" has previously had a brain tumor and their doctor had been putting worms in their head which didn't stop growing/exploded.

The personal climax for the detective is when he goes to a bar he frequents and finishes a whole jar of tequila worms from bottles he'd finished previously.

You think I'd have an easier time finding this movie with all the details I think I have.

E: It could be foreign language but I don't think it is...

Head exploding stuff sounds like Scanners but not sure about the rest.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

So, this is kind of vague, but it's worth a shot. I'm remembering a movie, I think it had supernatural elements, and I remember there being a red room with some sort of Asian decor and a big spherical fish tank. The movie may have been about a private detective or someone in a trenchcoat, but I'm not certain about that. This movie was not The Prestige.

Sounds like the TV Show Twin Peaks. There's also a movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

This sounds plausible. I've never really seen the show, but I've seen bits and pieces at other people's houses which is consistent to how I vaguely remember it. Maybe this will get me to finally watch it. Thanks!

It's a fantastic show. You should definitely check it out regardless. So should everyone ITT.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Network42 posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie, but can only really identify one scene. A teenage-ish suburban white girl pulls her heroin kit out of some possession in her room and shoots up. That's literally all I remember, but hopefully that's not a tired cinema trope.

Sounds like Traffic.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Scene popped into my head that I can't place. Movie is probably from 80s or maybe early 90s. Main character is slim, Corey Haim-type build and has to find a football player who is running stadium steps for a punishment (but actually walking them, cause he's been doing it for awhile and is exhausted but not showing it), with I think a big log over his shoulders for additional weight. Movie is possibly in the vein of Just One of the Guys / Can't Buy Me Love / License To Drive and in fact might actually be one of those, haven't seen them since release.

Vision Quest

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Seldom Posts posted:

Movie about three white (likely Italian) petty criminal guys in a large American city. They are generally down on their luck screw ups but also decent guys. They plan to rob an armoured car. The heist predictably goes wrong, and they can't get into the car. Then the old guard in the car has a heart attack and they become much more competent, breaking into the car to get him out and call an ambulance. It turns out that they guard never saw who was trying to rob him and doesn't know it's the same guys who saved him. They get medals, and during the award ceremony they start squabbling.

I thought the name was 'knockaround guys' but that's not the plot of that movie, according to Wikipedia.

Sounds like Palookaville.

I actually took a screenwriting class in college with the guy who wrote this movie.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

My parents are looking for a film they saw once. By their estimate, it was definitely before 1995, and most likely before 1990. The plot was about a court worker (district attorney? Or someone else in the court, but not a lawyer I believe) getting angry at lawyers getting criminals off the hook and going vigilante to kill them.

It's not Night Falls on Manhattan.

Does anyone know anything of the sort? I've stumbled upon a few films that were close, but not that one. Thank you in advance.

Could be The Star Chamber

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

csidle posted:

I have a vague memory from 4 or 5 years ago, when I a bunch of top X films lists, like IMDb's top 250 and 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, were like watchlists for me. From that time I remember reading about a film depicting a battle on the eastern front of World War II that was supposedly rather great. I feel like it was a movie about the battle of Stalingrad or Leningrad. However, IMDb doesn't give me any obvious canon films depicting these battles. The closest I can get is Stalingrad from 1989 by Yuriy Ozerov, but it's nowhere near IMDb's top 250. I'm gonna watch it anyway, since I don't particularly care about IMDb's top 250 anymore, but since I seem to have gotten the idea from there I wonder if it's the right movie. Are there any films depicting these battles particularly noteworthy?

The best relatively obscure Eastern Front movie is Come and See

Whether that's the movie or not, you should definitely watch it.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Are there any movies where a character is holding a plastic bag over someone's head in an attempt to kill them and the victim manages to pokes an air hole in the bag?

I think it happens in The Rookie with Charlie Sheen.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I'm looking for a quirky, maybe indie movie that was a sci-fi comedy set around kids in high school. I remember that it had a lead character that looked a lot like Bo Burnham. The humor was a little more adult-y than for kids, but I can't put my finger on other aspects of the film. I remember I watched it in the early 2010s and I laughed a lot during it. It may have had something to do with monsters? There was a whole bunch of different characters. It wasn't Sky High.

Might be Chronicle? The first half could probably pass for comedy...

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Capn Jobe posted:

My dad showed me a movie maybe a decade ago, whose name escapes me. It was a black&white film, likely made in the 30s or 40s, about an airplane crew that is stranded in a cold, snowy area.

It had some overlap with Flight of the Phoenix, in that they were finding ways to get drinkable water, and there were conflicts between the crew. But unlike Flight of the Phoenix, they get rescued at the end thanks to an emergency transmitter. I remember in detail how they explained the transmitter: it had a hand-cranked generator ("coffee-grinder", they called it), and it came with a balloon and a kite to hold the antenna aloft.

One of the search pilots, who spends most of the movie flying another plane looking for them, was (according to my dad) a pretty well-known actor, but I didn't recognize him. This character is introduced at a public pool with his kids, and then gets a phonecall that he's needed.

I remember a lot about the movie, but nothing substantive enough to search for.

Sounds a lot like Island in the Sky starring John Wayne.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

I only ever saw the trailer, It was a 90s-2000s thriller, some sort of... assassination or robbery or something happens right at the knockout of a big boxing match. The investigator guy plays it in slo-mo and it zooms in on the blow whiffing and you can hear him yell "IT WAS A PHANTOM PUNCH!"

Googling only gets me the movie Phantom Punch which can't be it

The Nic Cage classic Snake Eyes

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion this might have been a TV show, but there was something I saw recently where the main character is performing a stage choke on a partner, doesn't let go, and the group has to pull them apart.

I had some crazy deja vu watching the stage choke scene in season 2 of Barry, but I have no idea what it was from

There's an acting class incident that gets out of hand on The Sopranos involving Christopher. Don't remember the details offhand but maybe that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

plainswalker75 posted:

I've been trying to find a horror movie I remember flipping past on TV once; it was a woman alone in a haunted house or cabin on a large body of water (I think she leaves in a boat at one point?) and the conceit was that the audience could see the ghosts, but the woman couldn't (so there were like jump scares where the woman is walking around and there's just some random pale white-eyed dude in the corner watching her, or like he leans down and blows out her candle etc.). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

There's water/boat stuff in What Lies Beneath. She's alone for a lot of the movie too.