Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Nutsngum posted:

You guys might be able to help me with this.
I only have vague memories of this but I think it was like a seventies or eighties TV sci fi movie with those white halls and the like.

The story was something about these aliens that i remember looking like tall masses of seaweed or something but the humans see them as other humans. Then someone comes along who can see them for who they are etc.. but the aliens aren't bad guys or something.

Been irritating me for years, any ideas?

I am super late here, but was it the "Bringers of Wonder" episode of Space: 1999?

You probably figured this out already but I didn't see a reply in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Funkmaster General posted:

The main characters were criminals who were literally organizing a poo poo-heist.
That was Aachi and Ssipak, and it was fantastic.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

YF-23 posted:

There was a film I remember my mother watching, well over 10 years ago, on VHS (it might've been a series of films). It was a sci-fi film with aliens I believe, but the plot element I remember the best is that there were these alien storage devices, that were basically small spheres. When these were activated, they started floating mid-air and sucking everything around them into them, even people. Specifically I remember one scene where one such device got activated and everyone in the room hanged on to whatever was around (I think maybe columns?) to avoid getting sucked in, but at least one of them did.

I'd tried asking her about them and she doesn't remember a thing. If I remember the video/audio quality properly they must've been '80s or '90s films.

The Arrival

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Funkmaster General posted:

Don't remember much about this movie, but it was a horror movie (not a very good one) involving monsters that lived in radio static. At the climax of the movie the main characters were in a radio station or something and the monsters actually emerge in a physical form. I seem to recall that they looked kinda like the SH2 monsters but made out of television static.

Most of this is probably misremembered but hopefully there's enough there to figure out what I'm blabbing on about.

Pulse, with Kristen Bell?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

TTBF posted:

Werner Herzog's Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans.
I had heard about this but just figured it for a direct-to-video Bad Lieutenant sequel that everyone liked for its ridiculousness. Now, I know better. Thanks!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

well that link didn't work, but I think you meant A Child Lost Forever: The Jerry Sherwood Story

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is it the evergreen Identify A Movie For Me Thread classic, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUo-1TjdEs

That one and a couple others really should be in the OP

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Capn Jobe posted:

This should be an easy one, but for some reason I can't find anyone who remembers this.

I watched this probably in about 2006/7, and it wasn't too old then. I'd imagine it was made in the early/mid 2000s, but could be off by a handful of years.

It was a feature-length anime film, but a collection of three separate stories. I only remember two:

1. Astronauts are on some sort of space station that keeps making these bizarre constructs of people and environments. Memory's a bit hazy, but I think it turns out that some sort of computer is basing all of the imagery on the memories of a woman who is either dead or in some form of suspended animation on the station.

2. A bumbling idiot character is exposed to something in a lab, that makes his perspiration emit some sort of gas or miasma that makes people around him die. I remember there's a chase sequence through a tunnel with him on a moped as the authorities are after him.
Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories"?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Raspberry Bang posted:

Speaking of YouTube. Does anyone know where I can find that video of a large woman in tight red pants bending over her bed and ripping a huge fart? It was on awfulvision way back in the day but now it’s gone and I’ve been searching for it forever.

It seems like you might want to also try asking in this thread over here.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I saw an action movie in the 90's on TV, I'd guess it's from the late 80's, about a bunch of terrorists taking control of a large corporate building, including taking hostages in a ballroom with bombs or bomb collars (not sure which) linked to the terrorists' heartbeat sensor wristwatches. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Note: It is absolutely not Die Hard, the deadman trigger wristwatches are a part I'm pretty solid on.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Retro Futurist posted:

I think you're remembering chunks of Spawn

It's not spawn, it's a much more straightforward action movie than that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Retro Futurist posted:

You might try this then

Already have! But this is some random 80's/90's trash, and I guess did not warrant a mention on tvtropes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DeimosRising posted:

Some parts sound like it but most of it doesn’t. I’d suggest you ask in the horror thread they can probably sort out whether this is one of the countless possession movies of the last decade or a chimera of several

I'm not the horror thread but it sure does sound like The Last Exorcism by someone who doesn't remember it completely.
How you could forget the banana bread recipe, I don't know, but whatever.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm banging my head on the wall here. Trying to remember the name of an old fantasy action comedy film, there's like one hero in it and he fights skeletons and zombies and stuff? Might be a curse and/or a witch involved too.

It for sure isn't Army of Darkness is it?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's the one, thanks. Was driving me crazy

Oh, nice! Enjoy!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Chop Sunni posted:

... Wow, that was a neat trailer too, but not it.

The one I'm thinking of didn't have an English release / promo I could see at the time. As far as I remember the trailer was hard man cops running about and smacking perps around for leads.

This is a common theme in South Korea. I liked Memories of Murder and The Chaser, but if it was last year, it probably isn't either. Was it, maybe, VIP?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I'm putting together a movie night specifically themed on rich people getting ruined, hopefully in a schadenfreude kind of way. Think like the end of Trading Places. I've definitely seen movies with this theme before but can't think of any and it's surprisingly hard to google for this theme.

Ideas?

Paranormal Activity?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

couldcareless posted:

I believe there was a whole story that the entire crew went home and had to suffer through their eyeballs peeling. I believe there was a first hand account of that from Del Toro

Is this in the commentary or something? These stories are amazing. Also, someone else mentioned the "he didn't open his eyes" part of the Blade 3 commentary already.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Spiteski posted:

Trying to figure out where a scene I remember is from.
Navy boat or sub springing leaks, with a big (obese maybe, or just hugely built) guy clamping leaking pipes with a sort of metal tube plate thing. Can vividly remember it spraying around everywhere when trying to clamp it and him managing to clamp it.
The tone of the scene was serious situation, like the boat/sub was going to sink or catastrophically fail if the leaks weren't sealed.
It's not U-571 which is what I was watching when I had the scene pop into my head.
Could be from the 90s or early 2000s as I remember it from when I was a teen or younger.
This is very common in sub movies. I'm going to guess K-19: The Widowmaker, which is a good movie even if I'm wrong, or Das Boot which is a 3+ hour submarine epic and is pretty much guaranteed to have that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Murphys Law posted:

Rupture? With Noomi Rapace?

Oh, good call.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DoctorGonzo posted:

hi someone know how is called that movie who was made from trailers of old movies. The only thing i remember was a PSA of sorts against drugs. It had a cop with hat and gabardine and the this is your brain on drugs bit

"Made from trailers of old movies" like Grindhouse? Or like, the entire movie is back-to-back trailers?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Trailer Wars? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2429800/

Its an Alamo Drafthouse movie. Made from crazy 70s trailers. It has lots of good parts from tons of terrible movies.\

It lead me to the most amazing song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HRFsyoeYTw

I wasn't the one asking, but that looks awesome, I'd watch that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Light Gun Man posted:

that movie is about a dude who went to vietnam but if i recall takes place almost exclusively inside a hospital? been awhile.

It's a movie about a dude who went to vietnam but takes place almost exclusively inside Silent Hill.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

LadyPictureShow posted:

Thanks a lot butthead. I went to look up the cast list, and found out they're remaking it. Nothing is sacred. (They claim it's going to be more of a reimagining...)

Speaking of Silent Hill/Jacob's Ladder, this scene in particular was referenced pretty hard in SH3
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtH-saNdmOs

The entire 'subway level' is pretty much that; I think the game even had a few camera angles that mimicked shots from JL.

Also the tour of horrors throughout the hospital. I think a lot of the stuff in Jacob's Ladder that was later borrowed by Silent Hill was originally taken by Jacob's Ladder from some photographer whose name eludes me.

Why they don't just make a Silent Hill But Good movie, I have no idea.

Also I liked the Silent Hill movies but they weren't good.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Also there was a bomb defusing scene like this in the first season of Alias, I think.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Davros1 posted:

Was watching "The Heat", and in it there's a scene where Sandra Bullock has to perform an emergency tracheotomy, which reminded me of similar scene from another comedy, except when the person is preparing to perform the tracheotomy, the person spits the food out, but the person is unaware of this and goes ahead and performs the tracheotomy.

I just can't remember what that was from.

I haven't seen it, but is it possible it was Choke, the movie?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:stare:

I have to wonder... Is this a common horror movie thing? For whatever reason, that disturbs me WAY more than someone getting flat-out killed.

It's not common in horror movies, but it comes up frequently with this one in particular because a big-name bad movie podcast made waves with jokes about this scene. One of the podcasters, Stuart Wellington, swears it's in there, and the film's director, Stuart Gordon, has said in an interview that that was *not* the action he was trying to portray in that scene. They've decided to teach the controversy.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What movie are you referring to, Castlefreak?

Yes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

sigher posted:

There was a horror film I remember watching where some artist couple or something lived in one of those weird-rear end studio apartment with a big-rear end cargo elevator in the middle of it which it how they usually got to their flat. There was some sort of "darkness" that had these creatures in them that would crawl on the ceiling to try and kill them. I remember the creatures looking kinda cool but I can't remember gently caress all else about the film. I remember the location of the apartment more than anything else and want to say it mostly took place in there.

Wes Craven Presents: They?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

PurpleXVI posted:

The concept, as I recall it, was about an "antique store" where the protagonists recovered mystic/cursed artifacts of some sort for safekeeping(it's not Warehouse 13 I'm thinking of, by the way, though it's a similar concept). The only part I remember super-clearly is one where they're trapped in their store by one of the artifacts, a statue of some kind, I forget if it was slowly killing them or if it would just kill them if they left.

I don't think it's what you meant, but The Lost Room?

EDIT: I figured you were wrong so I didn't even click on this the first time but yeah that sounds right on the money and WILDLY different from Friday the 13th: The Movies.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 27, 2019

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tsietisin posted:

There is literally no connection to the movies whatsoever other than the name.

Literally none.

That's pretty wild, is it any good?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tsietisin posted:

I found the episodes I watched pretty entertaining. Good little mystery stories, though the baddie is usually known straight off.

All right, cool! Thanks for the recommendation!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Macaroni posted:

Rumor had it that the final episode of the series would have a cursed hockey mask as the Bad Object of the Day, but like a lot of TV series it just kind of petered off into oblivion instead of having a concrete ending.
It was pretty fun, and a couple of the episodes are fantastic. Generally the ones where people try to do good (even if selfishly) with the cursed objects, and terrible things result. My personal favorite was some kind a cursed crib. The item was keeping a couple's baby alive, but they had to keep "feeding" it by drowning people or their kid's respiratory condition would prove fatal. After seven murders, they baby would be cured. When the heroes were finally able to identify the killers, the mom leapt off the apartment balcony into the pool, making herself the 7th victim.

Thanks for spoilering that, I'll come back and read it after I see the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Trevor Hale posted:

Around the same time that Altered Carbon premiered, an article came out that talked about how Netflix gives algorithmic notes to their in-house productions. Things like “at minute 11, X should happen because we find that it doesn’t, people will turn off the episode”.

Knowing that, Altered Carbon was the most algorithmically put together show. It wasn’t good, but enough happened in the last 90 seconds of an episode where i felt compelled to watch the next one.

I would love to see the complete list of notes from the algorithm, for every show, I feel like that'd be a rosetta stone for modern TV.