Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Maybe I'll edit this for real pictures of it instead of just ebay ones, but oh god, why are all of you so jealous of my awesome new mandolin?

I've already started to learn basic chords. G is 0023 (and easily movable with a bar), C is 0230 (again, bar it!), Em is 0223 (I bet you can bar that!) and F is 233(5) (bar that sumbitch!), D is 2002 (hey, I wonder if a bar works there!), and D7 is 2032 (not so much with the bar!)

First impressions: Oh my GOD IT IS SMALL. Smaller than I ever imagined. Luckily chords are pretty easy to pick up since it's the top four strings of a guitar upside down.

I've already got a pretty snazzy version of Twist and Shout worked out, as well as Pearl Jam's Porch

Any other mandolin nerds around?

Mandolin goon checking in. I just bought a Johnson electric A-Style and have been enjoying it much. I've been playing for about three years and I'm now playing for a local celtic folk music group.

http://www.johnsongtr.com/Madison-Electric.192.0.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Walter posted:

Finally finished, shipped, and received. This is the mandolin that I started this entire thread because of, back in November or December.

5-string electric, Kent Armstrong humbuckers, push-pull pot for coil-tapping.

I just plugged in and played Larry Carlton's Kid Charlemagne solo (one of my favorites ever) and this thing is awesome. Nice clean, warm tone when not overdriven (something that's hard to achieve with an electric mandolin), and good and dirty when I put it through my SD-1.

It's the one on the right. The middle is my other e-mando, and the guitar on the left is for scale.

Just FYI, I'm going to murder you in your sleep and steal those. I loves me some electric mandolins.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

LOO posted:

Placed on order last night...

Should be here Late July/Early August. It will be a long, long wait. :(

OOooohhhh... I loves me some quilted maple.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Acoustic quick-release. Great for mandolins, I tell you what.

About 10 packs of these. My local music shop has these at 3 bucks a pack, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering bulk strings online.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

gregday posted:

I, too, am a sucker for quilted maple.

A quilt top blue Les Paul has been my dream guitar since I can remember. A Gibson would be preferable, but an Epi is fine too. I'm not a full time professional musician, so this will do juuust fine. 2006 model. These are seller photos; it should be here within 2 weeks.

Another of the same model, I believe, with tail, tremolo, and pickguard. God I just love blue quilted.

Sir, I would like to have sexual intercourse with your guitar.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

She's my baby :3:

One piece alder body, flamed maple neck, rosewood fretboard / headstock overlay, rosewood skunk strip. Only 4 pieces of wood on the whole guitar. The inlays are abalone shell and mother of pearl.

Fender custom shop pickups: 70's in the neck and middle, 50's in the bridge on a push / pull switch.

This one's an older picture, it has graphite string trees now:

And that's enough of that little hijack.

That is straight fuckin' electric sex, right there.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

One of these, except mine isn't a re-issue. First production run. Pure sex.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

External Organs posted:

That's fukken sweet :hellyeah:

Here are some pictures of my new flat top mandolin

And since my other mandolin is the one that started the thread...

:whatup:

I bow down before the pure sex of your mandolins. Seriously, those (especially the A-style archtop) are giving me a boner.

Question: Why are the treble strings on the archtop criss-crossed between the tailpiece and the bridge?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

External Organs posted:

I wasn't paying attention when stringing it! :pseudo:

Doesn't help or hinder anything

By the way, do you have a shot that shows the tailpiece on the flattop? Those customized tailpieces are absolutely beautiful, and really make the whole thing pop (visually, that is).

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Handen posted:

I'm leaving for the big city tomorrow to find one of these...

Its a FedEx logo you can plug into an amp!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Orz posted:

I just bought a USA Big Muff pedal and holy drat it's the best distortion pedal I've ever owned ever.

I bought it to replace my retarded Digitech Distortion Factory pedal. The Distortion Factory has a Big Muff setting, but it sounded like rear end compared to the real thing, now that I have something to compare it to.

Welcome to the Big Muff club! The muff is the only distortion pedal I trust with my electro-acoustic mandolin. When hooked up to my 63 vibroverb amp, you wouldn't believe the awesome sounds you can get with a Big Muff Pi and an electric mandolin. If I manipulate the settings just right, I can make it sound like a flute!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Swollen Member posted:

Jaguars have a shorter scale than almost every single other Fender guitar. Most Fender guitars have a 25.5" scale length, whereas the Jaguar (and the Mustang) have a 24" scale length.

Actually, not all Mustangs had a 24" scale length. Some of the older "Student Model" 'stangs had an even shorter 22.5" scale. I wish they still made them, as a 22.5" scale is the most comfortable for me to play, and the stangs were total hotness. :smith:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

FlossMan posted:

All right... here's some pictures of the almost-finished Tele:

The quilted top is sex.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Mr. WTF posted:

Yeah...I've wanted one since they came out, but the purple and silverburst were awful. Green ones just hit stores...so great the guitar center guy conversation:
'do you have green robot les pauls'
'no they aren't out'
'I see them on the web - pictures'
'that's people using a kit, they don't make them'
'doesn't look like a kit'
'they aren't making them, we're the only Gibson dealer ever and I know the guy that makes them with his own fingers and I called him, you don't know poo poo, and they aren't out.'
'well call me if you find one'
calls 2 hours later
'I have a silverburst one in arizona'
'thanks dude, I found a green one about 20 miles north, I'm buying it'
'what?!'
click

Par for the loving course with Guitar Center douchenozzles. That entire chain is a joke. I went into one last year to ask if they had Hohner Special 20 harmonicas in the key of E flat. The special-ed moron at the counter told me there was no such thing as flat/sharp key harmonicas, and I must be thinking of chromatic harmonicas. I told him that he was wrong and he got belligerent and angry and started arguing with me. Another case of where looking at his own company's website would have proven me right. I've been blowing harp for 12 years, so I know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Okay, so when are we gonna move this thread over to PYF and rename it "PYF Plectrum"?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

accident sorry posted:

Hey, what's in the box... wait, this isn't TFR!

Oh hey, look at that, that looks just exactly like a keyless irish flute in blackwood & silver by Dave Copley!

Why yes, that's exactly what it is!

I really wish I had a better camera. It's a lovely flute.

Pure effing sex. The former flautist/Bodhran player in my band played one of these. He sucked rear end, but the flute made him sound almost halfway decent.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Plastic coverplates, but decent reeds and a nice little case. At least good for a backup/travel set. And only 30 bucks, a drat steal.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

boobstastegreat posted:

Glad I can finally post here.

Holy jeezus that's beautiful. Who made it?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Walter posted:

This is his newest offering...

Although what you're seeing there is an electric mandolin, what I'm going to have him build for me is actually a baritone 4- or 5-string mandolin version of this, tuned GDAEB. Imagine the neck about 4.5" longer than this one, but otherwise identical (except for the stereo jack he's got installed beside the mono).

Now come the months of waiting and saving...

When it arrives, I will pay you $1,000,000 dollars to have sex with your mandolin.* That thing is seriously beautiful. What's it setting you back? And just WHAT THE HECK are ALL THOSE BLOODY KNOBS FOR?

*Disclaimer: will not actually do this.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 9, 2008

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Just got here today, about a half hour ago:

Now for the agonizing wait until I can take it home and plug it in. Besides the obvious, I'd say the most unique feature of this guitar is how goddamn light it is- way less than my ash tele.

edit: Forgot to mention what exactly it is: Les Paul Standard Blonde Beauty!

Now my keyboard's all sticky...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

attack plan r posted:

(Against a busy background but it was the only place the sun was coming in)

Awesome little guitar. It's light, comfortable, and the neck feels great.

Is.... is that a reflection of people loving in the finish?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Handen posted:

Jesus gently caress, is that ever shiny...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

3ric posted:

Getting this on Tuesday. I can't wait!

Click here for the full 450x600 image.

Who made this? That's quite the nifty short-scale fretless.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

gingivitis the wart posted:

Look what came in the mail yesterday (pictures are from the guy who sold it to me since I don't have a decent camera)

Why its a PRS Custom 24 in Emerald Green 10 Top. I was long overdue for a guitar upgrade and this one is fabulous. I'm going to stop typing and get back to playing it now.

How do you resist the overwhelming desire to have sexual intercourse with that fine instrument?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

JohnnySmitch posted:

Click here for the full 395x1000 image.

That's Rose, my favorite guitar. She started out as a Mexi Standard Tele when I got her (around 12 years ago). Since then, I've replaced everything but the neck and body - Seymore Duncan pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, Bigsby trem, graphite nut - I also fully shielded the cavities, wired in a 5 way switch, put in a coencentric tone control to control the pickups separately, and put on the flashy pickguard. And ever since I taught myself how to level, recrown, and buff frets, she's been the best feeling guitar I've ever picked up.

tl/dr: I really like my Telecaster.

I want to stuff my dick in that guitar. It is so beautiful...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Reset_Smith posted:

Now everything tastes like rubber and shame...

I'm totally stealing that.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

SaucyPants posted:

Bought this on a whim today, its a ton of fun to play. Too bad I didn't read the tuning sheet before tuning it like an idiot and breaking the bottom string

How is it tuned? I'd love to have one with tenor banjo tuning. Also, how much did it run you?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Click here for the full 375x640 image.

Click here for the full 700x700 image.

What makes them special is that they're for a mandolin.

I use a Big Muff with my e-mando along with the vibrato and spring reverb on my '63 reissue Fender Vibroverb. Tweak the settings just right, you can make it sound like a loving flute. Fucks with people's heads every time.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Got both of these in the past week. '65 Vintage Reissue Twin Reverb and a '94-'95 (based on the serial number) Japanese Fender Jaguar Special HH. The amp was a gift and the guitar I bought as a gift for myself, picked it up on craigslist for $350.

I've got the mid-90s version of that amp, the 63 reissue vibroverb. It's wonderful.

Oh yeah, it's serial number 1, too.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

N183CS posted:

I've been kicking the idea of getting a Paul Beard Gold tone square neck resonator for the past week or so. They have amazing tone and the sound carries forever. My Johnson is real buzzy and it's a round neck but I have been playing it square neck style with less than stellar results. Some day I will learn normal guitar playing techniques and the Johnson will shine then but I really want to learn Bluegrass Dobro.

Very jealous here. I've been learning dobro technique by playing a cheapo Alvarez dreadnought retuned to open G, fitted with a riser nut and playing it with a slide. I can't wait until I can get my hands on a real nice resonator. I'll never be Jerry Douglas, but it means I will be able to add some twangy texture to my record.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Bone nut blank.

Mandolin bridge.

Fixing up an old POS mandolin with a few problems. Discovered that the bone nut blank smells just like cum when it's being carved.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Roctor posted:

Mandocello!

The shop I'm buying this from is out of stock of this particular model so I have to wait. :bang:

:hawaaaafap: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

And I'm guessing from the photo you bought it from The Mandolin Store in Wickenburg? Good choice. Dennis Vance is a great guy to buy from, and their in-store set-ups are second to none.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Roctor posted:

I'm buying it from that very store!

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=93

I found their site looking for straps for my mandolin and thought they were cool, and then realized they were only an hour and a half drive from me (phx). When they get their next one in I'm going to drive up to play it before I buy, but I'd be fooling myself if I thought there was any way that I wasn't going to get it. Good practice, though, play before you buy.

You in AZ?

Used to be in AZ. Moved to Colorado Springs last year. I drool over the custom Weber mandolins that are exclusive to The Mandolin Store.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Blue Square posted:

As beat up as it is there is something incredibly sexy about that guitar.

Eat your heart out, "distressed" and "reliced" guitars.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Sunshine, space, coffee, nature and a loving grand piano. Life could not be so perfect :)

Are you Matt Hubbard?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Dad just got a new midi controller for the studio, so he gave me the old M-Audio one.

And this will be arriving in a couple of weeks: Warren Ellis signature Tenor Guitar, 2-pickup version.

So excited about the tenor. I've been wanting an electric tenor for years.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

It's my first new instrument day in ten loving years. I'm really excited about this one.

Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar by Eastwood. Ridiculously fun. Pickups sound great. Pots are poo poo and are gonna get replaced immediately. Sounds insanely great with a slide through my 1995 '63 Reissue Fender Vibroverb (serial #1). Thinking of recording a cover of "Dark was the night, cold was the ground" with it.

And to top it all off it looks like a Fender Mustang with a little bit of Danelectro in its genetic makeup.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

That's one Baz Luhrmann-rear end lookin' guitar

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I decided to get the last thing I wanted for my Clapton guitar collection, the Custom Shop Strat.

It's real nice

Beautiful guitar! Those are real treasures.

I got to play the real original Blackie once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Back in the early to mid nineties my dad was the head of the SUNN amplifiers division at Fender corporate HQ in Scottsdale. He took me to work with him occasionally and I got to see and handle some really cool poo poo.

I still have some neat souvenirs from that time. I have a prototype children's short scale telecaster with built-in practice amp and a speaker on the pickguard that never saw production. Only three were made. One was destroyed in a fire, the other one is in Dolly Parton's museum.

I also have a circa-1995 '63 reissue Vibroverb. Serial number 1.