Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It's a Fractal Audio MFC-101. I've been eyeing this thing for quite a while now and I finally placed an order for one earlier today.

With one of these, an Axe-Fx, and maybe an expression pedal or two, you can pretty much duplicate any guitar amp and pedalboard setup you can imagine. Sky's the limit. Even without the Axe-Fx it's still an amazing foot controller for anything with a MIDI interface. I cannot wait for this thing to show up in the mail.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
^^^ Just in case anybody is wondering, that video does show the differences in those pedals, but the guy making it has no idea how to use what he's got. The rate controls on both those pedals are turned up way too high. A vibe pedal is supposed to be relaxing and mellow. The change over time should be subtle and smooth. You shouldn't hear a constant NYAW-NYAW-NYAW-NYAW as you play.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 10, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Another vote for keeping the pickguard on that one. Looks better with it on.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Well...this happened.

I got a really good deal on it. It's a nice guitar.

That is a great looking guitar! Congrats.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

muike posted:

Thinking about pink pickups and a palm tree vinyl sticker.

Whoa I didn't even see the island in the ocean thing your guitar has going on until the palm tree sticker comment. Do that, that's awesome!

Maybe skip the pink pickups though. Tropical island palm tree guitar is cool in an ironic hipster kind of way, but that plus pink pickups against the ocean blue sunburst might be just a touch too hey look at me ironic hipster.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 26, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

He needs orange pickups so they can look a bit like life rafts coming to rescue the person who is plainly the volume knob :3:

Um hell yes.

Ok now I legitimately have a strong urge to buy a guitar finished in ocean island burst, or in other words possibly the absolute last finish on a guitar I'd ever thought I'd have wanted before these posts.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Since I can't get a time machine and travel back to visit the 80's or early 90's, I brought some of them back to me instead!

Just got a Mesa Boogie Triaxis preamp in the mail (2nd space from the top), a slightly older one with the TX4 board so Lead 1 Red is the Recto mode instead of the Lone Star lead channel like you'd find on a Triaxis today.
Like most Mesa Mark series tones, it has by far the most mid-range of any guitar amp I've ever used, so I'm using some EQ from the Axe-Fx to scoop out some of those mids and bring the sound back into more sane, balanced territory.
It sounds fantastic for tight and clear high gain stuff, but I'm really surprised about how great the cleans and pushed, gainy clean tones are turning out to be.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 29, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Honestly the answer to this for me is youtube, I just decide what I want to achieve then go hunting for vids

I agree with this. Books are cool for reference and theory but videos and audio is better for actually learning how to play.

Also, check out Guthrie Govan's instructional videos. He's so not-from-this-planet good (like he might actually be the best guitar player alive today) that it's intimidating, but he's also such a fantastic teacher that his stuff is still accessible in its own way. And if anything, you'll learn that even at the super advanced level, you're still thinking about stuff like "which finger should I use on this note to make the next note easier to play" instead of just "which notes should I fire through the speakers next?"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Regarding the Axe-Fx talk, I have an Axe-Fx II and I love it. Couldn't be happier. And as for the comment above about the machining, I personally think it's built with excellent quality.. and so to a ton of world touring artists as well actually. I bought an Axe Ultra in 2009 and never had the slightest bit of trouble with it. Then I bought an Axe-Fx II in 2012 and have been using it regularly ever since. Same thing, zero issues whatsoever.

My current tube gear amp setup is a rack with two switchable preamps, a Mesa Triaxis and ENGL 570 going into a VHT 2/90/2. I couldn't be happier with the Axe-Fx for amp tones. At this point, my great big tube rig is basically a "fun at home/just have it to have it for historical reference/been unwaveringly itching for this exact setup for the last 5-6 years and finally got into the position to buy it so I'm not turning it down now" rig. I love my tube rig, but if it vanished in a puff of smoke and the money zapped back into my account today, and I never had the opportunity to buy that setup again, I'd still be perfectly content with my sound considering how happy I am with the Axe-Fx, and that it can exactly duplicate the sound and feel of it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

WAH WAH WAHHHHH

Custom Audio Electronics Dunlop MXR doobie doobie whatever
I got a new wah, I like it.
It has a built in MXR boost which I won't probably use and also it has 2 frazels or something, a red one and a yellow one that give it 2 separate sounds.
All I know is it has true bypass and a loving LED indicator so I can tell if it's on or off easier, hell yeah!

This is pretty cool. How does it sound compared to other wahs you've tried?

massive spider posted:

Its p chill.

For real though this thing is great BUT with the exception of the pitch effects which are a bit of a letdown for such an expensive unit.

The snapshots feature is really cool though. Its like a "quickload" feature for sounds, so instead of changing patches and getting a small gap, you change sounds within one patch with a single button and all your reverbs etc spillover seamlessly.

Nice. How are you using it? Amp + guitar cab, studio monitors, or other speakers?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The only Les Paul that I ever liked is the one I ended up buying. I know a few other guys who also only like their one, it's weird.

Yeah, that's how I feel about them. I don't get along with 99% of Les Pauls at all but rarely I'll happen upon one that plays great. There's apparently a ton of variance in these things.

Then again I wouldn't buy a new Les Paul in a million years. I honestly think you'd be better off overall buying a cheap Chinese knock-off Gibson, then replace the pickups and all the hardware and give the thing a good setup, and have a good guitar for $6-700.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Totally. And you know what's way cooler than those doofuses with their fake Chinese guitars?

Paying $5-6,000 for a guitar that quality-wise relative to the rest of the market is worth *maybe* $7-800 bucks just because it has the word "Gibson" on the headstock.

I mean I'm not exactly lining up to get a Chibson but I'd definitely look into one before buying an actual Gibson.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 15, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Concatenation posted:

FX loop toggle switch:

So how much of a pain would it be to put the LED right on Yngwie's crotch? And by crotch I mean right above the place where it looks like the color has worn out of the jeans due to the bulge.

Wouldn't want to cover that up.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 13, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Literally Elvis posted:

Today I got my dream rig

I don't know what to do with myself now (other than sell the Mark V 25 above it)

Congrats!

I recently bought a Triaxis as well for my rack, and the one piece of advice I'd like to give you is this:

This preamp is awesome, and it becomes 10x more awesome when you add outboard EQ. Seriously, try adding some kind of external EQ to either the Triaxis' fx loop or right in line between the preamp and power amp. The Dynamic Voice control basically simulates 16 different preset EQ curves ranging from flat to the classic Mark EQ scooped "V", but the way it scoops mids ends up making the tone just a bit too hollow without necessarily sounding any bigger or more full. Adding your own EQ lets you tailor that EQ curve into exactly what you want.

Also, you're lucky. Mesa just discontinued the Triaxis this year. Either they think rack gear is going the way of the dinosaur or they're replacing it with something newer. The cynic in me suspects we probably aren't going to see a Triaxis II any time soon though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 25, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The most useful thing I've happened upon when it comes to restringing is that you shouldn't clip the strings with some tool, but instead you should just bend the string back and forth right at the tuning head until it just cleanly snaps off. That way you have basically zero extra string that sticks out from the post.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
ignore

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 5, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I might have the cheapest Gibson Les Paul in the world.

It was only $200. It's a studio model, it has a faded finish, and the headstock was broken and repaired and has a nasty scar on the front and back, but it doesn't affect the sound or tuning stability.

It just looks like it was carved from a bookshelf. It plays and sounds better than my $1,500 Traditional Pro II, which is why I sold it. Would rather have $1,300 and this, than a prettier Les Paul. It's only being played at home. Plus I prefer the fatter 50's neck, and the feel of the satin finish. It even stays in tune better and has a better setup. Its the guitar equivalent of a very plain looking woman who's funny, smart, and giving. The fact that its not weight relieved, barely has anything covering the wood, significantly older, and has the balance of the brighter burstbucker pickups and the mahogany top, might be why it sounds better.

That's a seriously good looking guitar. With few exceptions, I've always found that the less ornate a Les Paul is, the better it looks.*
It always seems like every time Gibson wants to fancy up a Les Paul, they put a bunch of frilly poo poo on it that ends up looking like how turn of the century super rich people might have designed a Spaghetti Western saloon or train car.
Your guitar looks great.

*The exception of course is the black beauty Les Paul Custom, one of the best looking guitars ever made.

edit: PS: gently caress Gibson

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 25, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Whoa, lot of cool new things in the thread, awesome! Those pedal boards are great.

widefault posted:

SRV Guitar

I'm a huge fan of chinese fakes. Never played one, I just like them on principal.
Fender and Gibson have become greedy and lazy, and some part of me hopes these fakes might put pressure on them to either lower their prices back to sane levels or increase their quality enough to make the fakes not worth it.
These days I hear the fakes, playability wise, aren't *quite* there but nothing a professional setup can't fix while being about 1/10th of the price of the real thing.

I plan on getting one soon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Although I totally agree that Fender and Gibson have basically become lovely producers of instruments that just are not what they should be, MUCH LESS what they charge for; I cannot support bootleg guitars. I have friends who have and I know why they did it. I just don't like bootleg trademark theft.
That said, I'd like to buy this guitar anyway. I won't, but I admit I want it.

I am not getting all moral about this poo poo, ok? I've made plenty of questionable choices and this is just one I've already decided on. I in no way mean to impugn widefault or my IRL buddies in any way. Just expressing my opinion. I don't wanna fight!

I don't agree with reselling fakes as originals; I think that kind of deception is absolutely dishonest and immoral.
If I ever got one I'd totally make the serial some custom phrase that's obviously not authentic.

I guess what I'm saying is that getting one with an obvious "replica" marking on it is fine and dandy and I see no reason in the world anybody could object to it, but yeah getting one with the intent to sell as authentic is totally not cool.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If you truly wanted to pay homage to the Stoner drone gods, you'd rip out the current net pickup and replace it with a Fernandez Sustainer system.

Infinite stoned sustain.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure it's the least-pretty bass in my stable (except for my upright, which is pretty bland). It's hard to compete with spalted and burled tops when it comes to looks.

In terms of replacing bass pickups, you really can't go wrong with Nordstrand. Both of my other basses are loaded with Nords (Big Splits and a MM) and they're great.

Hey, what's the deal with the bass on the right?

I see a lot of bases like that nowadays where the top horn extends way out and merges with the neck the whole way across. Is that just an aesthetic thing or is it supposed to help with resonance or what?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Gorewar posted:

Since I was only borrowing the 6505 from the previous picture of my cabinet, I had to actually go buy a head of my own. I found this used for a pretty reasonable price:

I think I'm done buying gear for a while. Well, maybe after I buy a tube screamer...

Definitely get the tube screamer. Rectos have a lot of gain but not a lot of bite or definition on their own.

The tube screamer will fix that in a hurry.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

sudo rm -rf posted:

Picked this guy up last Friday

That's a good looking guitar.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

sudo rm -rf posted:

i think i have to do the holy trinity first

i've literally never owned a fender stratocaster. not even a squier.

It's cool man, I've never owned a tele.

Need to get one soon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Mesa mark amps get a lot simpler once you realize a few things.

1. The Treb/Mid/Bass knobs are wired BEFORE the preamp gain. Think of them like EQ controls that only affect your guitar's pickups.
Realizing this, for best high gain results, set:
Bass to about 2 at most. Not 2 o'clock, but 2 as in 2/10. This control is sensitive and any higher will overwhelm the preamp and just fart out everywhere.
Mids usually anywhere under noon. Mesa knows Mark amps sound best with the mid knob set low. They even gave the mid knob a taper of like log10, which means when the knob is set at noon, the pot is actually at only 10% output. Mesa did this to encourage people to keep the incoming mids low.
Treble cranked. 7-10. The treble knob here is tuned so that it occupies most of the mid to high guitar freqnencies. It's not a traditional treble knob. Think of it as another gain knob as it actually increases the overall signal level that will be sent to the tubes.

2. The graphic EQ does what most treble/mid/bass controls do for most amps. It actually shapes the EQ after distortion.
3. Mesa Mark amps are the most mid-heavy amps on the market. Scooping the hell out of the mids on the graphic EQ is basically the same thing as bringing the general EQ curve to parity with most other neutrally set guitar amps.

So basically, here's the signal path:

Guitar --> Treb/Mid/Bass EQ knobs --> Preamp Gain --> Graphic EQ --> Effects Loop --> Power Tubes

Have fun and go nuts!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

JohnnySmitch posted:

Just finished my latest pedal build:

It's a smallsound/bigsound Mini clone. So far I love it - can't wait to really open it up next band practice.

Yeah this is awesome.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Lot of Fenders around here lately. And speaking of...

Sorry for the potato pic

After playing guitar for over two thirds of my life, last week I bought my first Telecaster! I have to say I'm surprised to find I really love the thing. I play mostly rock/metal/bluesy whatever so I've never really gravitated towards teles, but I happened upon this one the other week at a music store and picked it up by chance to just to plink around on something, and basically fell in love with it after about 2 minutes. It just grabbed me in a way most other guitars don't. Didn't hurt that it looks exactly like what "the" telecaster looks like in my mind, either.

It's funny, I'd describe the guitar as "weirdly versatile" in that it only has 3 different sounds, but each covers an entirely different sonic territory while at the same time all three sounds are very uniquely, specifically telecaster. None of my other guitars sound like this.

Neck - round and neck-pickup-y but trebly and touch sensitive at the same time. Both sharp and smooth. Think of a strat neck pickup with less springy jangle, with more cut and body. It's very clear and bold. Easily the biggest pleasant surprise of the guitar for me.
Middle - telecaster funk sound. Very similar character to a strat's 2nd and 4th switch positions as one might expect, but it's a bit "broader" sounding which makes sense as the pickups selected are bridge+neck, as opposed to the strat's neck+mid or mid+bridge configurations.
Bridge - we all know most people play telecasters for the bridge pickup. There's a twang and attitude here you don't get with other types of guitars. Even if you're only playing bar chords, there's still a kind of honest, exposed sort of attitude that comes through, even under heavy distortion. It's a very American kind of sound. Also, as a bonus, when you're playing single notes it's almost impossible not to sound country, which of course means that if wanky idiot shredding is a guilty pleasure of yours *ahem*, you can play as fast and with as many notes as you like and solos will sound like fun, good-spirited chicken picking instead of masturbatory zillion-note serious-faced hey look at me shred fests.

I've wanted a telecaster for a while now, but only really as an element of some "one good example of every 'major' type of guitar" future imaginary collection. But after playing one, I had no idea I'd like it this much or that it would be so different from everything else I own. I should have bought one years ago. Turns out Telecasters can be seriously fun.

edit: and yeah I know the control panel on this one is backwards. Not sure why but this particular model comes that way. I'm going to mod it back to "standard" as soon as I can.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

I'm the price sticker you can just tell is single-digit-microns thick with the most ultrasticky adhesive in the universe on the back that will never, ever, ever, ever come all the way off, slapped right the gently caress onto the front face of a guitar with a slightly textured finish.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 29, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

Speaking of reverbs, does anyone have any suggestions on getting that squishy surf sound using VSTs? Amplitube has a bunch of spring reverbs that ought to be up to the task but I can't seem to dial in a setting that hits the sweet spot between "regular ol reverb" and "self-oscillating noisefuck".
I know the correct answer is "buy an actual spring reverb already you cheapskate" but I don't wanna.

Not too long ago, Fractal Audio put their reverb algorithms into a VST.
I've never used this particular VST but I have an Axe-Fx 2 and love the reverb in it to death though.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/fas-fx-reverb.php

Just looked up the price, it's $80. Not sure how that compares to other VST's price-wise but there you go.

Here's some audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN9GuCYqkdQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh06bQJh1Jk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWiuVukkDo

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 25, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's a beautiful tele, congrats. For some reason I pretty much always love these stickin it to the man type copies or homage guitars, and this one is especially cool.

Also, your tele is the first tele I've seen with a rosewood fretboard I've liked! Neat!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I knew a guy who worked at Gibson and spoke to him a while back, like maybe 2 or 3 years ago. We were talking about guitars in general and costs of manufacturing, etc.

I asked him how much money goes into a Gibson Les Paul, raw material wise. He told me, and I'm not making this up, between $350 - $400 depending on version. That's it. Oh and workers don't spend very many hours on each individual guitar at all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If an Epiphone had the same headstock as a Gibson, I totally would too. But drat if they didn't know exactly how to make the smallest change in design have the biggest effect in terms of taking it from looking awesome to looking really, really bad.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's a great strat. I've always wanted a guitar with a Fernandez Sustainer kit. They're amazingly fun.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
TS808's pair so well Mesa Rectifiers because contrary to what most people think, Rectos are not really metal amps at all. They might have big kick rear end diamond plating on the front, but that's always been misleading design. No amp's aesthetics write checks that is circuitry can't cash quite like Mesa Rectos. Don't misunderstand, I like them for what they are, but as far as high gain amps go, a Recto is one of the loosest, sloppiest amps you can buy. They're not tight at all. They're good for big open rock and 2000's nu-metal chords but the second you start chugging away with palm mutes, they fall apart. This is mostly because they're designed to send a lot of bass to the preamp tubes so everything gets really flubby when the gain goes up.

When you put a Tube Screamer in front of a Recto, it clears up all that bass before the preamp and suddenly you have a monster of an amp that is super tight because the tubes are really only overdriving the mids and highs, so you can palm mute all day and it sounds fantastic. And because the TS also slams the amp's input, you also get a bunch of compression that gives you this amazing touch sensitivity. Even just barely touching a string will make it ring out so playing fast takes a lot less effort.

Big mushy high gain amps and tube screamers are real good together. See also the Peavey 6505 and Soldano SLO.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 10, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Has: '59 Gibson Les Paul Standard Historic in Ice Tea VOS

Lacks: Sense to vacuum before taking picture

“Nah it’s cool, I’ll just lay this guitar on the ground so that the entire thing is held up by the angled Gibson headstock that is notorious for snapping under even the mildest pressure.”

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I love strats. I was extremely lucky and got a Mexican Strat as my first “real“ guitar when I was learning to play years and years ago. It’s cream colored with a rosewood fretboard. I had no idea what I had back then, but thankfully I never sold it.

I beat the hell out of that thing and it still sounds and plays amazingly well, and the paint is finally starting to dull and chip in the right spots. It’s beautiful and actually getting better with age.

What I’m saying is that Strats are great and you’ll love yours. Congrats!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

BAD POST WITHOUT PHOTOS OF COOL AS HECK STRAT
:colbert:

You're right and I apologize! However, my strat is currently about 1,500 miles away at my parents' house so I can't really take pictures of it.

To make up for this transgression, I'll post some pics I took at a music store of me playing a $22,000 1961 Strat (colored exactly like mine) through a $100,000+ Dumble Overdrive Special + matching vertical 2x12 cab!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Witch hat knobs on sunburst standards. Speed knobs on Customs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Boosting your guitar into the high gain channel of an amp can work really well. Sending a boost into an amp isn’t only about getting more distortion, a lot of boosts actually happen to cut out a lot of bass from the guitar, which is a good thing for high gain because it means your sound will be a lot tighter and clearer, and less flubby than otherwise, even if the basic amount of distortion doesn’t change.

As far as delay goes, I tend to take the opposite approach from Gringostar there, even though my goal is usually similar to his, which is just to add a gap filler behind the main sound. I always put my delays in the loop, and if possible, I’ll try to cut a lot of the delay’s treble so it interferes with the primary sound even less. I tend to approach delay as a “cleaner reverb“ and this is the best way I’ve found to accomplish that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I keep hearing a lot about roasted maple these days. It looks a lot better than I thought it might, but still a weird middle ground between Maple and Rosewood.

Makes you wonder why they don’t do more baked or roasted rosewood fret boards. Seems like you could get something really close to ebony if you started with an already very dark wood. It would definitely be better then the weird, washed out, visibly grainy look of Rosewood you find these days.