Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kerpal posted:

Finally got a real amp:

The head I'm told can also easily power a 4x12 cabinet, though I haven't tried.

I can report that it does indeed power a 4x12. Quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Anime Reference posted:

Raw materials are a pretty minor part of the cost of most products, aren't they? I suppose it could be different for guitars since you have so much expensive wood and not a lot in the way of molds/dies/etc.

Yep. This is why economies of scale are a thing. It's easier to cover the cost of your widget manufacturing capital (machinery, real estate, administration, labor to an extent) if you make a zillion widgets than if you make five or six. There's no way a 2x12 mahogany board, a 4x4 for the neck, some random electronics, a strip of rosewood, and some fretwire costs anywhere close to $4000.

I mean, there's that scene at the beginning of It Might Get Loud were Jack White makes a lap steel out of a 2x4, four nails, a string, and a pickup. It's not exactly a difficult instrument to make.

Even as an Explorer/LP fanboy, the things are super overpriced, though. I'd never buy a new one, and I'd almost always grab and Epi over a real Gibson.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Excuse the lovely pic but I got this 1980s Korg SDD-2000 delay for relatively cheap on eBay. Can’t use it on everything but it’s got its particular sound, and the main thing is it looks cool!

The stompbox version that The Edge managed to get Korg to produce for a while a few years back is a neat box, too, and a lot more flexible.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I’m currently trying to decide if I want to re-fret my Squier II strat. It was my first guitar, I love how the neck and maple fretboard feels. Hardware-wise I swapped the stock pickups (which were GARBAGE) for the EMG DG-20 setup forever ago and I’ve had the trem blocked off since I bought the thing.

New frets starts at about what I paid for it, but neck aside there’s nothing on it I can’t remove and replace on another strat-like. That’s my main issue in budget-line land right now.

All our other guitars are the cheap line, too. A couple Epiphones, a PRS SE, a Squier Jaguar bass (which is baller as gently caress for rock tones.) with the exception of a couple specific and particular guitars or hardware options, if it plays well, that’s the only thing that matters in my book. Pickups and rig matter a lot more to me, and that’s not even accounting for if I plan on recording, which introduces even more variables.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fuctifino posted:

I cancelled this order this morning... :(

And decided to pay the difference and order the large model instead :)

Thank you unexpected Xmas time money!

:black101:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fuctifino posted:

I didn't have the health to play for more than a few minutes yesterday. I managed to get an hour or so in tonight, and recorded a little bit of a violin jam towards the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-U1f4vfug. The instrument is phenomenal... and I even had Roger himself answer my support emails on a Saturday night to help me get everything talking to each other.

Wait til you start doing chord shapes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wish there were something like a "casual" DJ. That poo poo requires so much detail work, and I'd much rather bash a guitar or make weird whale farts with a synth to get something approaching music than crate diving, beatmatching, sample-tweaking, and reading a crowd. Playlists? That I can do. Actually DJing? gently caress no. Gonna leave that poo poo to the pros.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My comment was more about the skills part of DJing in like a production or performance environment less than your average wedding or club donk. I’ve done radio DJ poo poo before and that’s enjoyable enough, but I’m more talking the creative part of it. My level of ability and commitment is more along the lines of “lazy mashups” and that’s just not interesting or cool or requires anything more specialized than, like, Audacity and/or Spotify.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SuperiorToaster posted:

Got a Soma Laboratory Lyra-8 yesterday. It's lovely.

Here's a short clip of the first sounds it made:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvV3iVjlyuM/

I have a large amount of envy. I remember when this first got prototyped and basically everyone was like "what the gently caress is this weird VHS hype video thing?" and the instrument itself was only weirder.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GreatGreen posted:

That's a great looking guitar. Wow.

There are almost zero guitars in natural finish I've ever liked but that looks fantastic. The contrast between the dark colored back and the lively natural color of the flame top really make it.

I'm with you on large-scale production guitars, but almost everything I've seen Kenneth Lawrence do is drop-dead gorgeous. He picks up some amazing pieces of lumber.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The block is huge, yeah, but the spring mount holes are dangerously thin and the loving thing seems like it's made of pewter. Two of the walls busted on mine, so I blocked it off a couple years ago and made it vastly more playable. Granted, mine's a Squier II and not a Bullet, but still. Looks like the exact same block.

block block block block

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo I love those big dumb switch knobs. :swoon:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Siivola posted:

I bought guitar accessories. Check out these BALLS.

On the guitar:

I loved ST/HB for a long, long time, but one day not so long ago I realized my fingers are pissy and weak and more importantly I have elbow tendinitis issues (from a host of things, not just guitar) and going back to standard gauges helped so much with my rhythm playing.

Oh, how I miss the chonk though. :sigh:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Snowy posted:

You mortgage payment was less than a Firefly??? :eyepop:

The PMI difference, I think. Payments are now $150 less.

edit: I hope, because drat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrSargent posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to say "gently caress PMI", just another scam in the housing market.

:emptyquote:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

betterinsodapop posted:

loving amen to that! Reminds me that I have to check in and find out when I can stop paying that bullshit.

Erm...guitar related:
I just bought a set of 11-52 Daddario NYXL strings as part of a setup/repair. Pickup selector on my G&L poo poo the bed, so had to take it in. Got a setup while I was in there, since I've been playing more in drop C, and the tech suggested a heavier gauge. Now just have to wait a week. :(

gently caress that. Type O Negative played down in B standard and Kenny Hickey went with like 10s or something. Half the fun is just letting 'em flop around and go slightly out of tune if you whack 'em hard enough.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

McCoy Pauley posted:

After a lot of hemming and hawing and going back and forth on getting some kind of grid controller for Ableton, I went ahead and picked up the Launchpad XL. And then I came across a used Launch Control XL that my local Guitar Center had put on clearance, but which appears never to have been touched (the codes inside had never been redeemed), so for the price, I figured why not?

The X is impressively thin -- haven't tried it yet, but hope to play around with it tonight. The XL seems like it will come handy to have physical controls for a bunch of functions in Ableton. And all together this helped me talk myself out of just jumping all the way into getting a Push 2, so I can spend time playing around with Ableton and grid controllers and see if there's anything new on the Push front in the next year or two. And I figure this is hardware that could very well remain useful to me even if I end up getting some manner of Push later.

The Launch Control is just an all-round handy control surface. I use it for controlling iVCS on the iPad to get a little bit of that tactile control back (it only really sucks on the oscillator frequency because MIDI doesn't have enough resolution for a smooth sweep.) I've been meaning to get into Live more and figuring it out, and the Laundpad seems like a good way to help without dropping the coin for a Push.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Philthy posted:

Yeah, for $35 I wasn't going to cry over it being possibly bad. But I have about a few hours noodling with it on my guitar and mono synths and it's exactly what I was hoping for. I couldn't be happier.

Edit: Jesus, those Earthquaker/Mr Black pedals are $200?

The Rainbow Machine is the weirdest mangling effect I've ever heard and it sounds remarkably clean (if that makes any sense at all) while doing it. It's like turning reverb and delay inside out.

Personally I don't care for it, but my spouse thinks it's amazingly gross.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had an Ampeg GVT15-112 for a while and I loved it. I mean, granted, that isn't anything CLOSE to this beast, but for quality and usable tone, it's hard to beat an Ampeg of any size, price, or configuration.

I don't even remember what I traded it for anymore, though, which is odd and arguably sad.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Twas.

I have a soft spot for really clean amps; my previous main rig was a JC-120. Now I'm down to an Eleven Rack and while being flexible, it's just not as fun.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Honestly throw an EMG-81 in it with some knurled chrome control knobs like the tele-style cover demands and I'd play that.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Muppets On PCP posted:

alnico iv: the quest for peace

alnico iv: the quest for peace: the voyage home

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Both of those are gorgeous. GORGEOUS.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

widefault posted:

How many SGs is too many?

Epiphone '61 Reissue G-400 Pro in Silverburst from Amazon Warehouse, marked way the hell down because the box was torn. Needs a setup, no relief in the neck and 8/64 at the 15th fret.

I do not like SGs, but I like this SG. With the coil taps it reminds me a lot of the Thunderhorse, but, y'know, smaller.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hadlock posted:

I feel like the first thing I would do with that is plug it into a fuzz pedal, maybe chain it through an octave drop effect first. Once I got bored with that, seems like an ideal instrument for a looper pedal

You should definitely dig through Hainbach's channel on the Youtube then.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

widefault posted:

New old amp day

Silvertone 9075 amp from ~1958. These were for record players, not guitars, but are basically a Champ. 12AU7 and a 12AX7 with a 6v6GT and a 6X5GT rectifier. Volume/on-off, tone, and a Lo and Hi Level inputs, 8" speaker.

Hi-Level works great with a guitar, though it's clean all the way to 10 and not that loud at max volume. Lo is noisy and LOUD at 1, pretty much not usable without modding. Not sure if I'll try it myself, need to open it up and see if it's been messed with first. I will probably swap tubes, everything but the 12AU7 are modern manufacture and Russian or Chinese

It's had a three prong cord installed, and the speaker has been replaced. I will probably change it again, it's a ceramic magnet, and looks like a hi-fi speaker instead of a guitar speaker. They did re-route the power cable, it used to come out of the FRONT of the amp in the lower left corner by the power indicator. It also came with a cover that clipped on the front, which is long gone like 90% of these amps out there.

That's pretty rad. I have a Harmony H303A that I replaced the cord on and recapped a couple winters ago and it, too, is Very Loud. Even as a tiny bedroom amp. Three instrument inputs; I usually use the middle one as for some reason it sounds best to me. (I think it goes through a different gain stage? I don't recall.) Great effects base. Those lovely Sears amps from back in the day are still fun as hell.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

widefault posted:

A "normal" Strat pickguard would need mods to fit around the posts and the curve of the front of the bridge.

That's easy enough with a Dremel or some sandpaper or even an X-acto if you're in a pinch. I'd be more worried about the mounting screw holes lining up.

edit: Also I had a JB Jr in my Squier strat before I put EMGs in it and I can confirm that it's fairly hot, but not so much as an actual full-size humbucker. It's simple enough to just throw a little more gain on the ol' distortion pedal though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Spouse continues their movement toward acquiring All The Edge Gear with a Korg A3. Currently digging for the sysex dumps for the preset cards, because those fuckin things are expensive.

Extremely happy with the sound, though. Sad I got rid of my MP-1 now.

edit: sysex acquired and loaded. Anyone that ever says "presets are boring" can eat my entire rear end. This thing is the entire '90s Edge sound.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 1, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I need to find me one of these dumpsters.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is the most difficult part of loving my silent recording rig. It is everything I've wanted from silent recording. But I never reckoned with how much I would miss my fat body getting blasted by heroically stupid SPLs.

Legit the biggest benefit to playing guitar at all is getting your ears shredded while your intestines rattle.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

No advice but that is a gorgeous guitar. Gat dang.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

hexwren posted:

I haven't bought my christmas gear yet, but it's probably going to either be a JC-40 (the 120 just seems Too Big and Too Expensive for an apartment, especially since most of my playing these days is past midnight) or some kind of new guitar (humbuckers, hardtail, beyond that i dunno)

the main problem is that I don't want to go into a store to try guitars out in the current situation and I don't like the idea of getting something in the mail and then having to send it back

Having had a JC-120 in an apartment, just don't. That thing is LOUD. (And also CLEAN. And WOBBLY.) (gently caress I miss that amp.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

NuclearPotato posted:

My Moog obsession continues unabated:

Yes hello allow me to envy your Subharmonicon.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jesus fuckin Christ.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Launch Control XL is a great piece of kit. I have mine set up to roughly mimic the controls on my iVCS3 iPad app and it's so good for that (except for the pitch, where MIDI doesn't have enough granularity.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wait a fuckin Linnstrument, too? That's gotta be a hell of a rig, yeah.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The only reason I still have my first guitar, a Squier II Korean Strat, is because it has the best neck out of everything I own. It's been my weird experimentation platform and at this point the only thing that hasn't been changed is the bridge, which I'm still considering, and the frets, which are on the list.

It's an intro guitar bought and mangled by a kid, but drat if doesn't play like a dream, better than a lot of pro-level instruments I've played in similar configurations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Getchoo some iso pads for those Yamahas and be surprised at how clean the bass (at least, the bass they produce...) can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

H13 posted:

Hetfield rocked the 81\60.

Therefore, I rock the 81\60.

(Yes, I know about the Het set, but he recorded the good albums with the 81\60)

They're all good, op.

(okay maybe not st anger but that still also had the 81s)