Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love Springsteen’s beanie era

I was not aware that big Bruce invented the modern hipster look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

H13 posted:

Thanks again for the love shown on my previous YouTube video :). I assure you that I won't just plug my videos in this thread, however these videos are 100% directly related to gear. I figured it was an appropriate spot to post about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab12ukki7lM

I've got a modest pedal collection hovering around 50 pedals. I like pedals. They're lots of fun. However figuring out specifically what they do, especially compared to other pedals can be tricky.

Looking up demos and comparing demos can also be tricky. Often in different demos, people are playing different guitars, different amps, different settings, different cabs, different...everything. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's gone on some massive rabbit hole to figure out which pedal is right for me, only to end up MORE confused than I started off with.

So I've put together this Pedal Gauntlet. I recorded a bunch of DIs with a bunch of different guitars. Those DIs will be re-amped through the same amps, running into a Mesa V30 4x12, mic'd up with an Sm57. It might not show the pedals in the BEST light, but hopefully it shows them in an accurate light. Also, I'm assuming we all know\understand how Marshalls, Fenders, V30s and SM57s sound. If nothing else, hopefully using these common points of reference will be a really useful point of reference.

Full explanation of how it works is in the video above, but I'm launching my demos today with 5 different overdrive pedals. Hope you find it useful and helpful!

Maxon OD808:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqJHn1rKhI

Fulltone OCD V1.4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAamWq9zHII

Boss SD-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNa000fChH4

J Rockett Archer Gold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AikRVRlKEqQ

Paul Cochrane Timmy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5lN9qLWL-o

This is a cool idea and the videos are good!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

widefault posted:

A Japanese Jackson Soloist for $175 is a deal, right?

Stock tuners replaced with locking Sperzels

Oddly, the same pawn shop I bought a Made in India Soloist last year. That one got flipped, not sure the fate of this one yet. Came with a non-labaled Gator hard foam case, too.

Talking to the guys at the shop it came from a guy that also pawned a Peavey Triple XXX Ultra and an Eastman acoustic and didn't come back for any of them. Those two are also on the sales floor, priced more realistically than one would think for a pawn shop.

Man what. That’s a score for sure.

I wish the pawn shops where I live weren’t filled with the waves of absolute bargain basements guitars that I see.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's pretty boring but I bought a bunch of picks:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

muike posted:

I love those petrucci picks for bass. the max grip jazz iii used to be my go-to guitar pick too!

People of the Internet raved about the Petrucci ones and I liked them but they felt a bit thick for me.

My go-to is the Cabron Max Grip Jazz III for sure, the plastic ones felt weird but the carbon ones feel nicer. Also, I've been playing the same one for weeks and it shows zero wear!

There could be some bias given my guitar teacher just happens to use the same ones though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

H13 posted:

This was what I was trying to figure out when I was buying my P-Bass.

Then I figured out that if I bought a CV, I could replace all the hardware on it for "proper" Fender hardware, and it would still cost me less than the price difference of a MiM P-Bass.

I liked the CV more than I liked the MiM strat so....I grabbed the CV.

In Australia, it's a 500AUD difference. I'm pretty sure I could get a neck re-finished to satin for that much as well...

Which hardware would actually be key to replace?

Where I am, New Zealand, it’s a similar difference. The MIM are almost double the CVs.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tenchrono posted:

Ow my wallet.

Ow my eyes! :captainpop:

What is it exactly?

More importantly, to me, what’s that next to it?

Edit: to contribute I picked up an ISP Decimator in great condition for $75 NZD! Maybe the second most boring pedal purchase after a tuner (or even more boring?) but a good addition.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finally got a board sorted:

Pedaltrain Novo 18

Does anyone know how I can mount that PSU on the bottom? It seems to need a bracket but the Pedaltrain and Cioks websites are not very helpful. It fits in that top slot underneath but it's too deep so the plugs wouldn't fit when plugged in.

I tried velcroing it to that middle rail underneath but is about 5mm too fat and touched the ground there.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I finally picked up a Helix LT. I’m not going to post a picture as everyone knows what they look like.

I asked what the best price they could do was and they knocked $100 off the retail price which isn’t amazing but it’s something.

I’m very overwhelmed but also super excited.

Last night I was playing along to a Parkway Drive song and I know they use 5150s into Mesa cabs. I slapped those in and the tone was like 80% there, pretty awesome.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

Extremely on the fence about picking up this SG:

(Reverb pic)

Mate, let us knock that fence down for you.

That thing rules.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Early 2000's MIJ Ibanez Prestige 7-string with locking trem. I got this off a guy from craigslist the other day. The neck is fast and plays like a dream but I'm having some issues with the bridge and pickups. The Ibanez trem feels quite a bit different from the Floyd Rose trems I have in other guitars. The fine tuners have a ton of throw and I've had to reset the tuning a couple of times already because they bottom out when tuning up. It also sits differently than I'm used to and I'm having trouble getting good sounding chugs on palm mutes since it seems harder to set my hand in the sweet spot. I will most likely get used to that over time. Also, that problem may be exacerbated by the pickups the previous owner installed. They are Instrumental SFTY-4's and they are HOT AS gently caress. Jesus gently caress are they hot. I have a set of Fishman actives in another guitar and these are an order of magnitude hotter. Controlling string noise is out of the question with any amount of gain. I tried playing through the FM3 and some different plugins and its like having a permanent boost on with the level cranked. Every model I tried it on I had to dial the gain back to near zero and bump the noise gate way up just to control excessive noise from literally any contact or movement of strings, no matter how slight. On the plus side, chords and arpeggios sound great and every note is clear but single line runs and any quick power chord movements are a mess due to excessive noise from adjacent strings or my fingers moving across the strings from changing positions. Like, I'll be the first to admit I need to work on controlling noise and cleaning up my playing but this is far beyond that.

:hfive: I’ve been meaning to post a picture of the RG655 I just got!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Slothful Bong posted:

Made some progress on my looper setup; got some wall mounts for guitars, have the new electronic drum set in the corner.

Just need an interface for the laptop, some cables, and a stand for my APC40, then I can do full-fledged recording in the room. Right now my recording setup is in another room so I haven’t been able to try the electronic kit with drum VSTs, but I figure instead of moving it I’ll just set up a second.

Yeah this is sweet! Hoping I can get a similar thing going if we move to a bigger place in the future.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do you know of anyone who owns more Hondos than you?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Leck posted:

I've seen a few old Hondos pop up on craigslist, and I have no idea if the prices are good, but they always stand out to me due to your posts. Right now, there are a couple of those DiMarzio-equipped LPs and... something else.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/d/brooklyn-les-paul-copy-hondo-ii/7606166479.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/d/brooklyn-vintage-hondo-ii-les-paul-with/7603015049.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/msg/d/brooklyn-hondo-h1-deathdagger/7594282721.html

:captainpop:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sockington posted:

:captainpop:

Not really new gear, but I got the basement pile tidied up a bit. That Gorija Charvel is definitely a favourite guitar.

What an awesome setup! Even your lighting is good.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

I just watched this and feel none the wiser. But they sure look neat and that German man was making some interesting music!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’ve always wanted a Flying V and I bought one and it makes me glad. I don’t need another 24.75” two humbucker guitar but cmon Flying V.

Orville-made with Gibson America pickups of some kind (Gibson patent# pickups or replicas).

gently caress yeah.

Nice pool BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

muike posted:

I have a type.

Yeah these are both awesome! What models are they?