Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Now that I live in an apartment and i'm missing out on playing my drums a lot, I decided to get an electric kit.

I'm digging the tuneable snare, the double bass, and the 3 sensor areas on the drums and cymbals. I got a Behringer keyboard amp for daytime jams.

It's no Roland V-Drums, but still pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

dead cowboy posted:

Cool, so thats a DTXpress correct? I am thinking about getting something in the 500k series for the exact same reasons. Is it really that okay in an apartment though? The only thing I use at my house is a practice pad and sometimes my neighbors bang on the wall because of that. I'm still getting one regardless though because I'm planning on moving soon anyway.

Yes it's a DTXpress IV Special. The DTXpress and DTXplorer series are the best mid range electric kits. Definitely stay away from the cheap junky Simmons and Alesis kits.

As far as playing in your apartment, it depends on how tolerant your neighbors are, how hard you play, what time you play, if you have neighbors below, and the construction of your building.

I read a drum forum where people built their own drum risers made out of two sheets of plywood with tennis balls sandwiched between them. This absorbed vibration from the kit, and the impact from their bass drum pedal, and it made it quiet for the neighbors living below them.

I just have extra carpet underneath my kit, and have cushioning around my bass drum pedal beater. I havent got any complaints...yet.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 21, 2012

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jiimy posted:

Just picked up a mid 70s Fender Vibro Champ today, sounds really cool and way louder than I would have figured it would be. Also demon cat in the background.

Silverface champs are really hit and miss. I've heard ones that sound like butt, and others that are gems. I'm assuming you picked a good one. You should post a soundcloud or youtube demo of it, i'd love to hear it. What guitar/effects are you using with it?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

JamUP has a bass guitar package. I haven't tried it, but I have all the guitar amps and effects and they are way better sounding than Amplitube, Ampkit, and GarageBand's guitar modeling. Might be worth checking out.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

^ That's a nice looking strat. If the price is right, go for it.

I bought and installed a new set of plastic parts for my strat. They came with aged ones that just looked way off:

How it looks now:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How often do you see a vintage guitar (60s or 70s) that looks cool, sounds good, and is only $200?

I had my heart set on this one, until I went to the store and demo'd it. It's just plagued by too many issues. Cant stay in tune, tuning pegs are almost frozen, bad humming, scratchy pots, huge gash of missing finish, messed up frets.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Here are my local craigslist options for wah pedals, let me know what you guys would pick:

Original Crybaby GCB-95 $25

Ibanez Weeping Demon $40

Digitech XP-100 $75

Ibanez WH10 $80

I am kind of leaning towards the weeping demon. Demos sound good, its flexible, and the price is good. I also like the Ibanez WH10 but its twice the price. The original crybaby is almost brand new and very cheap, and classic in its own right. The Digitech has all the cool effects, but I don't know how much i'll use them. The newer reissue ones are too expensive for me.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Clitch posted:

It's been awhile since I got to post in here.

I've been wanting a new bass for awhile, but I wanted to avoid another Fender clone. Affordable lefty basses are a sea of Black or Sunburst, and boy was I happy to see this on Ebay.

It's a Fernandes Gravity 4X. Their reviews look pretty good, the price was right, and it's a discontinued color, so I jumped on it.

A lot of entry level priced basses come with cruddy strings. I used my stock strings on my $180 Ibanez Gio bass for YEARS. Then I put a fresh set of Ernie Ball slinkys on it and it made it sound so much better.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got this Epiphone Les Paul (SG) off craigslist for a pretty sweet price.

Not going to bother swapping the pickups or anything, it's good the way it is.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

adary posted:

A dream come true: Les Paul Traditional gold top

Picked it up in a store and it played like a dream. Couldn't let myself walk out without owning it. The fact that it was 40% off did help pacify the angry wife.

I like your taste. Here's my new axe:

2012 Les Paul Traditional (Satin Ebony)

I had an Epiphone LP Custom I was waiting for to come off police hold, but I saw this going for a good price, so I raised a few extra bills to get the real deal, traded in my SG since I only really need one humbucker guitar.

Weighs 8.5 lbs. It has a mahogany top, so it's got a very warm tone. The 57' Classic Pickups are the best humbuckers i've had. The cleans on the neck sound amazing, and the bridge is perfect for anything heavy. I don't know if the PLEK stuff is marketing hype, but its setup is nearly perfect, no buzzing going on anywhere.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 11, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wish I would have discovered semi hollowbodies earlier. It took me 20 years of playing to realize how superior they are for clean tones.

I just put on a bone nut. It needs a fret dressing, then it's pretty much set.

All of my other guitars are pretty low key looking. It's nice to have one that's kind of blingy for a change.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

umalt posted:

Sup Sheraton II buddy! :hfive:

I also have the natural finished model, though I personally think it looks nicer with the tortguard (which I find weird since I usually don't care for tort).

That said, I'm thinking of dropping some humbucker sized P90's in mine. I first got it to be my first real good humbucker guitar, and I even went as far as putting some Gibson Classic 57's in there. But so far I plug it in, and I always want some more bite and brightness. I just replaced the strings on my cheapo Epiphone LP Jr which I dropped a GFS Mean 90 into, and I find that it's closer to the sound I'm looking for than my Sheraton.

Anybody have any thoughts on why I shouldn't do such sacrilege to a beautiful guitar?

I've been contemplating the same plans. The stock humbuckers are not bad at all and I think i'll be let down after putting in 57' classics or boutiques in. I have 57's in my Gibson and I love them but I want variety and thats why I was also thinking of humbucker sized P90s like the GFS Surf 90s, or Gibsons P94R's. That way I can kill 2 birds with one stone and wont have to add another guitar to the herd.

I might get the solid black ES335 pickguard. For now I think the natural top and the wood grain looks pretty good completely bare. Got some black and gold reflector knobs on the way though. My amber knobs are cracked.

If you do the upgrades let us know how it turns out.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I picked up a cheap acoustic because the neighbors below me go to sleep very early and i'm trying not to piss them off.

I didn't really want an Ibanez brand acoustic, but this was the best sounding and playing mahogany guitar for $250. It has a bone nut and saddle, grovers, exp strings, solid top.

I also swapped the amber knobs off my sheraton and got ones that match better.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

booshi posted:

Got my Agile AL2000 yesterday. Already dropped in a set of GFS pickups.

Which pickups did you get, and how much of an improvement was there?

I'm still debating wether or not to upgrade my Epiphone's humbuckers.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard

I'm too broke to actually keep it. Plus I can't seem to bond with LP's. Got it new for $1299. I'll probably be lazy and sell it fast for a lovely profit.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Had a little Guitar Center store credit, so I used it to get a cheap distortion pedal:

It's pretty good for $50. Definitely better than a Boss DS-1. It goes from a cranked tweed sound to a JCM800.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

^ Classic vibe guitar, Fender Mustang I amp, easily one of the best bang for your buck combos.

Make sure to download the custom blackface and tweed presets from the Fuse community section.

It's ridiculous how much you can do with that little amp. Best $50 i've ever spent on gear.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

thegloaming posted:

Picked up this baby at the local music store today:

Also, picked up the less impressive looking but equally awesome Roland CUBE 40GX.

Great choices. Epiphone semi hollowbodies are some of the best bang for your buck guitars out there, and roland cubes are sweet practice amps.

Picked up a 13' Gibson SG Standard, on blowout. Because it was a floor model with a few dings, and Guitar Center lost the OHSC, they sold it to me for half the price of what 2014 models cost, and I found a Gibson SG OHSC on craigslist for $60.

I've had a hard time trying to bond with Les Pauls. I prefer the SG's body style, light weight, and the fact that the tone cuts through the mix better. The 57' classics won't be replaced.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yeah it's a cheap entry-level mandolin but do I care? No! It's a mandolin!

Learn to play "Losing My Religion" on that bad boy.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

P90 luv

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Got these for my 95' LP Standard:

Nice improvement in tone. A little pricey, but definitely worth it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

1966 Mosrite Celebrity Hollowbody

It's great for clean tones, strumming, rhythm stuff.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Goddamn, that's nice.

Are those knobs oblong, or is it photographing weird?

Thanks, They are unique knobs Mosrite made that are shaped kind of like bowler hats.

Shugojin posted:

SO MUCH FOR NOT BUYING ANYTHING TODAY

Weird old Frankensteined hollow bodied something with Teisco gold foils. Not a Silvertone that decal is blatantly something somebody stuck on after.

It's blues as gently caress tho

Very cool. I know Sears Roebuck contracted Danelectro to make guitars for them, then slapped their Silvertone branding on them.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm tolerating the color, because I got it for an insane price, and it plays and sounds amazing.

Here's how it sounds when played by guitarists much better than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1P0zEZIqc

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Pokey Araya posted:

4 pickup switches, master volume, master tone? Hell yeah!
Also after watching that video I gotta to jam Man or Astroman for the next few hours.

This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOld-kvQYm0

Great album!

Me and everyone in my circle of friends in high school worshipped Man Or Astroman. Particularly the Project Infinity LP. We drove up to LA 4 or 5 times to watch their gigs. They were opening for Southern Culture On The Skids at The Palace in 1997, and many people in the crowd had no idea who MOA were. It seemed like their goal was to make the headliner look like poo poo, because they played such an amazing energetic set, that everyone went crazy, having no idea who they were, and when the headliners came on, they seemed so sedate and boring.

Star Crunch (Brian Causey) was standing in the crowd by himself, watching them play, and we approached him and talked about the set. He was really cool and humble. He looks like such a dork, like an MIT student. But then he gets on stage and he's a loving rockstar, who's a god at playing guitar. Man Or Astroman? is the reason why I bought a vintage Mosrite. We learned tons of their songs on guitar. We knew some people that formed bands that were a total rip off of them.

I wondered why Brian left the band. There were so many new wave surf bands in the underground during the 90's, but MOA were definitely the ones who had the potential to be as big as The Ventures were in the 60's, but it just didn't seem to happen. The few songs where he sings are loving great. Then he dissappeared, made his own label, and wrote the theme song to Jimmy Neutron.

I really never payed attention to the band after Star Crunch left and was replaced by a clone version of him.

They would open with this song, but picture it 10x louder, and all kinds of crazy poo poo going on stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKPlWS5B3xk

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Schpyder posted:

It's a DiPinto Galaxie 4 in an apparently new and awesome orange finish that I've now got a serious case of GAS for.

Maybe it's the honeymoon period, but if the guitar had a vagina, i'd gently caress it. I've owned a dozen american made fenders and gibsons, but this guitar is the mutts nuts. Everything about it is awesome. The wide, flat fretboard, the smooth tremolo, the locking roller bridge, the pickups and switches, Chris DiPinto nailed it. The best sounding pickup combinations are the ones you can't get on other guitars, the very top and very bottom, and the two middle pickups. They sound great for clean, and heavy stuff, and aren't noisy. I've never had pickups this versatile. The body is big and comfortable, and you can just lean on it, and it supports you, like when you're doing a chunky girl missionary style. And for some reason, a lot of people who own this guitar, have several. That's a good sign.

But yeah, mines orange. gently caress. I want to give it a nitro finish, then put 50 years of wear on it, and hand it down as a family heirloom.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 25, 2016

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ditched my zoom and tascam multitrack deals, and i'm moving towards the software side now that sound modeling on the entry level spectrum is pretty drat decent these days.

I'm beginning with a little garageband setup, which might evolve into Logic Pro once I learn the ropes.

2011 Macbook Air

$300 off Craigslist

Roland JX-3P

$250 at the pawn shop

Needed xtra's

For playing with myself

Shure Sm57 for anything and everything acoustic

Almost done recording my first song with this setup and im very pleased with the sound and options available.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

LP Traditional Pro II

I got it for less than the price of a faded studio. But it needed a lot of work. The genius who owned it before me put in DiMarzio Steve Vai shredder pickups in it.
Converted the wiring to the OG 50's setup with orange caps. Had to replace a volume pot, put in heavier gauge strings, gave it a setup, and put in new plastic covers on the back.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 4, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I might have the cheapest Gibson Les Paul in the world.

It was only $200. It's a studio model, it has a faded finish, and the headstock was broken and repaired and has a nasty scar on the front and back, but it doesn't affect the sound or tuning stability.

It just looks like it was carved from a bookshelf. It plays and sounds better than my $1,500 Traditional Pro II, which is why I sold it. Would rather have $1,300 and this, than a prettier Les Paul. It's only being played at home. Plus I prefer the fatter 50's neck, and the feel of the satin finish. It even stays in tune better and has a better setup. Its the guitar equivalent of a very plain looking woman who's funny, smart, and giving. The fact that its not weight relieved, barely has anything covering the wood, significantly older, and has the balance of the brighter burstbucker pickups and the mahogany top, might be why it sounds better.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

That's a seriously good looking guitar. With few exceptions, I've always found that the less ornate a Les Paul is, the better it looks.*
It always seems like every time Gibson wants to fancy up a Les Paul, they put a bunch of frilly poo poo on it that ends up looking like how turn of the century super rich people might have designed a Spaghetti Western saloon or train car.
Your guitar looks great.

*The exception of course is the black beauty Les Paul Custom, one of the best looking guitars ever made.

edit: PS: gently caress Gibson

Thanks. The finish is really starting to grow on me. I like minimalist poo poo. But the main purpose of having this beat up Studio is to prevent me from dropping a lot of money on another LP.
Gibson just puts way too high a premium on cosmetic poo poo. And then there's all that snobbery and judgement that goes around in the community of LP fans. No thanks.

I agree, the black beauty with gold hardware is the bomb. I watched Buzz Osbourne of the Melvins melt peoples faces off with that guitar, at many gigs.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It was only 50 cents, and good for kitschy type stuff

Gotta love this...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My $200 gibson lp studio needed a marshall. A proper marshall with tubes. But for not much money.

Found a guy selling a DSL5C, in good condition, with the footswitch for $250:

Very pleased with this budget combo. Good for my apartment situation, have it set to 1 watt.

Gonna add a reverb pedal to this bitch.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

i decided I needed a jag

It's a MIM Road Worn model. I'm indifferent to how the relic job looks, but what I love is the nitro finish on the body and how it feels compared to thick glassy poly finishes. Love how the back of the neck is worn down and smooth. These models are almost always very light as this one is. And it has the same pickups as the $2400 American Vintage model. Might get a mustang bridge for it, and maybe a mother of toilet seat pearloid pickguard. It's a good contrast with my LP studio. Will cover a lot of sonic ground between the two.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Got a fully modded Moisturizer coming next week. Not my pic.

That's awesome. You using it for shoegaze, surf, indie rock?

I needed an inexpensive reverb pedal so I got:

One of the only reverb pedals that has the "drip", the plunky sound at the end of the notes that springs give.

Because my new amp doesn't have reverb:

Marshall tube crunch, in an apartment appropriate size.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I always assumed that was an amp modeling pedal. Huh. Weird.

It definitely looks like it, but its a model of this:

The box of reverb springs with a tube driven circuit.

Might buy the reissue model tomorrow from a guy whos selling it for a good price.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For $600 with hardshell case and gig bag, I couldn’t resist. Gonna plug it into my iRig HD 2 for some garageband jams.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Epi LP Special. Wanted a git with p90’s. Only $70 off craigslist. Plays and sounds great for the moneh.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I love Jaguars, but I saw a used Squier jazzmaster for dirt cheap so I got it. But it needed some work.

I changed it look more original:

Put on a new pickguard, knobs, and pickguard cover.

It had a big chip in the body:

I filled it with wood filler, sanded it, painted it with nail polish paint, and then a clear coat lacquer

I lubricated the nut, treated the fretboard, adjusted intonation, and put on new strings. It already came with the tuneomatic style bridge and thats staying on.

I love the sound of the pickups, the scale length, the color, and the more standard electronics setup.

Now i’m looking for a tremolo bar that will fit, and a cream color pickup toggle switch tip.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Line 6 Flextone II XL. It was cheap. Worked out to be $2.50 a pound. Added casters to this mother. Got it to amplify my Pod Go since the speakers have a flat EQ, and its got good headroom. But some of the amp models sound surprisingly good, considering its ancient by modeling tech standards. But almost every youtube video of the amp, they do an amazing job making the amp sound as lovely as possible. I might try to post a decent sounding demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Couldn’t find a fault on the Squier Affinity Jazzmaster. The QC on this $299 instrument is impressive. It’s a good contrast to my LP. The shape of the body makes it very comfortable to lean on, and the sound of both pickups is really nice.

The Yamaha transacoustic plays and sounds quite good with no effects on.
It’s really cool to have a studio sound come straight from the guitar.