Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Just getting into learning to make music, and have been bitten by the synthesizer bug. Keeping everything battery / usb powered, and portable. My goal is to have some instruments I can take with me when I return to work (stints away from home), or go camping, and hopefully some day I can join in on a jam with friends without falling way out of time nearly instantly, like I do when I attempt to play a djembe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I work away from home for extended periods and have found plugging in cables to sing the synthetic song of forbidden love between a pipe organ, lead metal guitar, and bagpipes to be my zen.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

havelock posted:

How are you synthetically bagpiping?

If we get one more covid variant wave I'll probably end up buying the real thing.

Horribly, tbh.
It was more my way of saying that the sounds coming out of this are cacaphonous and screaming. Also some really nice driving bass thumps from the neutron. The volca modular has a very metallic reverb, and when fed screeching FM, it can get bagpipesque.
I should disclose that I'm still in my first year or so of doing anything with an instrument since an aborted attempt at self learning bass guitar in my youth.

petit choux posted:

You may share your music. I'll allow it.
Ehhhhhhhhhhh, "music" might be a real stretch.

Edit.

bees x1000 posted:

I would like one (1) cover of Highland Cathedral in cacophonous, screaming and screeching FM, please
That seems like a great goal to set. Thanks. It will take me a while to figure out how, but this gives me a number of things to learn on the way there!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 9, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

a bunch of great info here
There is also the amazon basics compressor. It certainly functions as you've said a compressor should. Quality wise? I have no basis for comparison :shrug:

I wanted to use it as a sort of limiter to tame the signal between a synth and fx pedals. Raising up the quieter sounds was a surprising aspect for me, the first time I heard it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

My neutron has a buddy now

Cool. That should be lots of fun together. Can you send cv and gate from the crave sequencer? And maybe have it sequence outboard gear alongside the normalled connections?
Also, can I ask which overlay you have on your neutron?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I mean the internal connections. If I understand correctly, the crave has a sequencer that can play notes without having to connect it with patch cables, right? If so, I was wondering if it could sequence the crave, and at the same time send a copy of those signals over a patch cable elsewhere?

Oh, and thanks for the link

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

Yes, the sequencer will sequence the crave without any patching. It has gate and keyboard CV out on the patch bay and hooking that up to something else will send a copy of the sequence.
Hohoho!
That looks to be a lot of fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

M. Choux, still at it with the casiohabit!
Here's my new(vintage, but seemingly unused) recording rig.

I can play back my jams in my car

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit this is gonna be a whole thing isn’t it. :negative:

Apart from the drum machine, yeah, that's the same setup that got me hooked. :getin:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

I am a fool with money so I bought a synth (or two) and a groovebox with zero prior knowledge on making music.

Everyone has to have a Volca, right? Only made a few beeps and boops with it so far but it sounds rad. Babby's first synth!

And the Circuit Tracks to maybe try to make some of the beeps go with some other boops. Already made a couple cool patterns but otherwise NO IDEA what I'm doing, it's fun though!

Not pictured is the Microfreak which is arriving Wednesday. I plan on hooking the two synth's up to the MIDI outs on the Circuit Tracks to start having some real fun. I also know nothing about MIDI but I'm enjoying everything so far.

Great! Another synth / music rookie!
I was at about the same place last December.
Here's the cool kids' synth that Santa brought this year

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

Hooray for disposable income!

I took the plunge and bought my first synths and a groove box as a present to myself; the Microfreak, Volca Keys, and a Circuit Tracks. I have been focusing on the Circuit first and have been trying to spend a bit of time every day learning it, but the Microfreak is so much fun to mess around with! I can't wait to start making some really neat sounds soon, also waiting for a cable to arrive so I can connect the audio from the Volca Keys to the Circuit. But one step at a time!

I also just ordered a Focusrite 2i2 so that I can start recording the garbage fires I will be making here soon. Everything is so overwhelming so I have to keep telling myself to learn how to use what I now already have, there is plenty here to keep me occupied for likely years, I don't need anything else...yet.

Cheers all!

Ooooh. You got the pretty white microfreak! I recently picked up the regular colour one. Also a synth rookie here, with a handful of months headstart.
What you shared about your thoughts feels very familiar. It is overwhelming to see just how much I have to learn before I could confidently say I'm a novice.
It's also exciting to see the wealth of available sources to learn from.
Still not making what I would call music, but having piles of fun experimenting and learning through trying.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Some new pedals for me. Couple delays, multi modulation pedal, an envelope filter, and an overdrive.
The memory boy and qtron both have send and return of their own, so I've been having lots of fun trying out different permutations. More patching! Oh, and I fortunately thought to get a new power supply for the pedals. Bit surprised to see the Qtron takes 24V.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It's a great addition. I wanted another filter without having to dive into eurorack, and I got the version with its own send and return for maximum patching possibilities. Nesting fx within fx for fun. I don't have a regular guitar though. I've been using these for synths and I did try running a bass guitar through them for shits and giggles.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 8, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

H13 posted:

Thanks for your kind words :). I was low-key expecting to get roasted on my first video attempt.
Ok. Let me try:
F@ck you for for setting the bar so high out of the gate.
That roasted enough for yah?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Whilst engaging in some late night reverb therapy, I found a nicely priced mint used minilogue xd. The shipping was listed at quite a steep bit of money, but I figured securely shipping a fairly big keyboard would not be cheap. Just as I was attempting to justify the shipping cost to myself, I noticed the seller was local to me! Synth deal at the local Starbucks saved me 30% off retail.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

kidfresca posted:

The user effects and oscillators you probably already have for the NTS-1 are going to be such a good experience on the xd with things like polyphony, blending with the analog voices, a better display/interface to navigate, and tweakable velocity settings.

This part really has me excited, as well as the 2 cv inputs I didn't previously know about. I also didn't know the buttons for retuning, so thanks for that!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A package arrived from a goon yesterday, containing a volca modular, keys, and mixer. It also came with a ripcord, usb battery bank, and little 2 volca wood stand.
Well, I had to fire up the modular with the one I already had, and see about patching the other little mini cable synth I have (Bastl Kastle).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWyF1B59Vsc

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Agreed posted:

gently caress fans and gravity is a punk

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://youtu.be/ltnSq4zljGM
Not quite metal, but some fast pick work regardless.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

widefault posted:

Yeah, I have no idea what I'll ever do with them, but I asked what kind of discount I could get if I bought all three and the price was too good to pass up. Honestly, the listed prices were too good to pass up, but it always pays to ask!

Oh wow, you got a further discount?! yeah, that's a steal. You've honestly got enough dodadery there to make all kinds of cool sounding stuff. Time to 'speriment!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Armacham posted:

I don't even play piano or have need for a synth, but even I kind of want one at that price.
Lol
That should be the thread title for the synth thread.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm a guitar dummy. Did you get those guitar sounds, just with the amp? I mean, with a guitar just plugged in, without any effects? Does it basically have a monster overdrive circuit built in?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 27, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I can't stop buying Joyo gear. I got the Zombie bantamp and it is filthy.

Getting that 8" Orange cabinet was a clutch purchase coz now I can try all these tiny amps.

I have their pocket metal pedal, and it's an instant "harsh and heavy, all the sustain" switch for synths.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I love all the different patching you can do with that tiny machine.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

new case and a rando assortment of modules. This isn't their forever home, but it's available space at the moment until more rack room arrives, and I stop realising I'm missing some vital component, like envelopes.

And since I've been using it with other gear, I thought I should see if I can make anything with the little box on its own.
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/mini-case-jam

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

that was a lot more tonal than I expected looking at the case! what did you use for the bass and lead (I assume to feed the comb on the latter)?
Yeah, surprisingly not awful!
It's basically 2 voices in 2 parallel channels. Melody from the self oscillating filter/vca, split to go dry and through the comb filter, then into the mixer. The drum module does the same kind of thing. One dry signal, one through the bit crusher/slicer.
I used the Turing machine for a sequence, and just a couple pulses from the gate output on dystopia to set the clock divider running, and euclid for rhythm.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 24, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dang those drums look sweet. Just checking out a youtube review.
Here's my eurorack stuff.
Decided to buy some stuff, then realised I wanted some other stuff, then realised I needed more space, then ooh look at that shiny module, then needed more space.
I have enough for a couple voices, and a percussion section. That should do me for now. Except cables. That's almost every cable I own, and I ran out of mults before I was really finished with the patch. I should also probably get a buffered mult. But that's it, no more. honest.
Anyhow, here's what I recorded of messing around to try it all together https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/all-the-cables

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Krustic posted:

I bought one of these EHX pitchfork+ pedals basically just because it was 100 dollars off and because I used to have a POG that was fun. Looking forward to making many dumb noises with it.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PitchForkP--electro-harmonix-pitch-fork-and-polyphonic-pitch-shift-pedal
I have their sub n up pedal, and it's hilarious to put a mic signal through an overdrive, then the sub n up.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Standby for further messy transmissions

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No 1U row?
*ducks under table

vvvv the volca modulars are fun

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 10, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

I wasn't joking about this, either:

well, CV control over resonance is a premium feature.
I'm happy with my tiptop and dreadbox cheapies

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

bought some 42 hp cases to hold my leftover modules and i ended up with this monstrosity

haha, cells and behringer modules I can see as leftovers, but milky way doesn't rate a spot in the main case?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Been patching in bed. Good and noisy. The EQ pedal and matrix mixer are new

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The real deal for less than the volca version! Nice

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

*old crow part of my brain*
Ooooh, Shiny!
That looks really nice. And that looks like a nice case too.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Krustic posted:

What the hell? 250 dollars apiece? Have fun synthlords.
TE is known for ridiculously overpriced almost everything they make. (Pocket operators being the exception)
https://teenage.engineering/store/field-desk

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do you need a fire safety consult, or something dude?
Plug your smoke detector back in, ffs!
You, specifically, should know this.
:glomp:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Nice catch, ha :embarrassed: . The detector is in here and will still absolutely wake the gently caress out of the house, but not presently hardwired there's some lovely terminals there I need to replace because it keeps triggering the system if something is connected to the hard wire there. FINE I WILL DO THAT TODAY BEFORE I TOOT MY HORN.

<3

FINE, here's my new Sonic Oscillator, it only plays one note, at 85db, at inopportune times when you're using a torch lighter to clean bong parts in a p100 at 3am and manage to wake up the whole house :laugh:

Thank you. Fire safety is errybody's responsibility.
LoL

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Not a guitar guy, but I am an old crow who likes shinies.
I really like the look of that guitar. I'm over here going "oooooh, pretty!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for that really pleasant post, OneSizeFitsAll.

If for some reason neither of you are aware, at least one cool rear end lady on youtube plays harp https://youtu.be/Zsu_e3Uk7n8