Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

don't thank me until after you see the prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Well I'll still reward you though. Recent acquisition:

I was originally hoping this would sound cheesier than its Yamaha counterpart. In hindsight, they're both pretty loving cheesy.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 9, 2021

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

petit choux posted:

Well I'll still reward you though. Recent acquisition:

I was originally hoping this would sound cheesier than its Yamaha counterpart. In hindsight, they're both pretty loving cheesy.

i've been waiting for this postement, for all my wife (borat voice)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

muike posted:

i've been waiting for this postement, for all my wife (borat voice)

Nice!

And then you use these drums to make the Phil Collins "In the air tonight" du-dum, du-dum, du-dum, du-dum, dum-dum"

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 9, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

petit choux posted:

My rhetorical guitar body has left the virtual realm and I still need advice on what neck to get

sorry, wrong thread. But this is my next instrument and I need advice on what neck to get for it.

I started a partscaster build that I haven’t had time to finish so I haven’t actually used it yet, but I got a custom Warmoth neck that seems really, really nice. 9.5-14” compound, dark Indian rosewood on roasted maple, stainless steel frets, tusq nut, and their standard thin profile. Around the same price as a low-to-mid tier real Fender neck but you can get exactly what you want down to picking the specific piece of wood for the fingerboard.

I really need to finish that build, it’s going to be sick. Sherwood green squier body, Fralin pickups, mint green plastic parts, aged copper metal parts. I got all the parts together and got as far as shielding the cavity and then I had to pack everything up to move house.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thanks.

Question: There's a lot of people selling used necks for this model on ebay. Anything one should watch out for?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

petit choux posted:

Thanks.

Question: There's a lot of people selling used necks for this model on ebay. Anything one should watch out for?

fakes and busted truss rods, but you're not going to know until you get one in your hands. I'm not saying that its common or anything, just theoretically possible.

To be fair, I bought a completely unbranded $50 neck for my Squier partscaster and its absolutely fine.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I work away from home for extended periods and have found plugging in cables to sing the synthetic song of forbidden love between a pipe organ, lead metal guitar, and bagpipes to be my zen.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

I work away from home for extended periods and have found plugging in cables to sing the synthetic song of forbidden love between a pipe organ, lead metal guitar, and bagpipes to be my zen.

You may share your music. I'll allow it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

B33rChiller posted:

How are you synthetically bagpiping?

If we get one more covid variant wave I'll probably end up buying the real thing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

havelock posted:

How are you synthetically bagpiping?

If we get one more covid variant wave I'll probably end up buying the real thing.

Horribly, tbh.
It was more my way of saying that the sounds coming out of this are cacaphonous and screaming. Also some really nice driving bass thumps from the neutron. The volca modular has a very metallic reverb, and when fed screeching FM, it can get bagpipesque.
I should disclose that I'm still in my first year or so of doing anything with an instrument since an aborted attempt at self learning bass guitar in my youth.

petit choux posted:

You may share your music. I'll allow it.
Ehhhhhhhhhhh, "music" might be a real stretch.

Edit.

bees x1000 posted:

I would like one (1) cover of Highland Cathedral in cacophonous, screaming and screeching FM, please
That seems like a great goal to set. Thanks. It will take me a while to figure out how, but this gives me a number of things to learn on the way there!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 9, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I would like one (1) cover of Highland Cathedral in cacophonous, screaming and screeching FM, please

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Electronic bagpipes are a real thing. With a MIDI option, no less.
https://www.rosspipes.com

Can’t say I haven’t been tempted.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Lawen posted:

Electronic bagpipes are a real thing. With a MIDI option, no less.
https://www.rosspipes.com

Can’t say I haven’t been tempted.

This is the one I keep looking at
https://blairbagpipes.com/

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Welp just caved in and bought one of my dream guitar. A minty 2015 Gibson ES-295 Limited Run in 60s Cherry. Usually this model is all gold but I already have a gold top and well I think the cherry looks amazing. Should be here soon and I can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyeI4DeYKpA

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Needed a good overdrive for my bass, popped on a Darkglass B3K v2

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got an overlay for my neutron. Doesn't lay perfectly flat but that's a fine trade off for actually being able to read the patchbay.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

CatBlack posted:

Got an overlay for my neutron. Doesn't lay perfectly flat but that's a fine trade off for actually being able to read the patchbay.

That looks great!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I tried to post a pic but I was too drunk when I tried, but I bought a bunch of Ibanez knobs for way more money than I should've.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CatBlack posted:

Those coloured boxes remind me of ones of these, my first modular synth (note the piezo buzzer :v:)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MIJ, circa `87-`88, one of the first SXII production runs. (Model introduced in 1988, serial number indicates 1987) My first non-budget-brand guitar. I'm going to have to get back into it and build up my hands again in order for it to really sing, but even unplugged it sounds better than basically anything else I've played.

I never thought I'd own a strat of any sort, tbh. My main guitar is a telecaster, sure, but that was a bit more of stumbling rear end over teakettle into a really good deal. I always figured I'd end up in some kind of humbucker zone for extreme gently caress-you noisemaking, but I've wanted a twelve-string basically since day one, and, well, I stumbled rear end over teakettle into this one being available.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 11, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you're mad enough to get a 12 string, a vintage Japanese fender is a pretty cool way to go.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Oooooh that is very nice, you got a good compressor to go with it?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I do not have any kind of compressor, let alone a good one. please, clue me in

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

hexwren posted:

You know how distortion tones are super easy to play on because all your notes and chords sound even, volume-wise, and you get lots of sustain? Compressors do exactly that for your clean tones. They even out the volume and reduce dynamics in the guitar’s signal being sent to your amp so you don’t have to be so precious about exactly how hard you hit each note. Basically you can dig in a lot harder with your pick without getting those occasional accidental extra-loud notes blasting through your ears, and they can also add a bunch of sustain to your sound too.

Best compressor I’ve played through is an Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe. It’s quite expensive at $300 though. Another top shelf compressor is the Wampler Ego Compressor. You can get them online for around $170 or so new.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 13, 2021

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

hexwren posted:

In addition to GreatGreen's post, I have a Mooer Yellow Comp that was like 40 bucks and I like it. I run it on the subtle side (never have the comp knob higher than noon) but it really does help even things out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got an incredible Craigslist deal. It’s my first hardware synth and I’m really excited to play around with it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Got an incredible Craigslist deal. It’s my first hardware synth and I’m really excited to play around with it

:eyepop:
drat thats sexy, look at all those sliders.....

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
drat thats sexy, look at all those sliders.....

It's a "virtual analog synthesizer" aka a digital synth meant to emulate analog, but it has Real Controls and from what I looked up it can make a nice variety of sounds. Plus I got it for less than half of what it goes for used lol.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

a bunch of great info here
There is also the amazon basics compressor. It certainly functions as you've said a compressor should. Quality wise? I have no basis for comparison :shrug:

I wanted to use it as a sort of limiter to tame the signal between a synth and fx pedals. Raising up the quieter sounds was a surprising aspect for me, the first time I heard it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
A sound engineer friend of mine referred to compressors as a simple tool, like a hammer - get roughly the right one for a job and use it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wow, looks good!

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Fell in love yesterday. The neck feels incredible.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
My neutron has a buddy now

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dzus posted:

Fell in love yesterday. The neck feels incredible.

Very nice, what brand is that?

I presume that's a toasted maple neck - it looks incredibly roasted!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Says fender on the bridge plate at least

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Carth Dookie posted:

Says fender on the bridge plate at least

Bugger, looking at the wrong end.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Seems to me like the limited edition Fender American Professional with the rosewood neck. Logo is laser engraved so it's hard to see but you can *juuuust* make it out.
Cool finish!

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Elissimpark posted:

Very nice, what brand is that?

I presume that's a toasted maple neck - it looks incredibly roasted!

Olivil posted:

Seems to me like the limited edition Fender American Professional with the rosewood neck. Logo is laser engraved so it's hard to see but you can *juuuust* make it out.
Cool finish!

You got it! The all rosewood neck feels awesome with a little bit of wax, I've heard awful things about the pickups but I think they sound great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CatBlack posted:

My neutron has a buddy now

:hmmyes:
I think you need more booping boxes, you clearly have space