Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just got one of these a month ago or so. Except mine doesn't have the cd burner and the screen is green, not gray. I love this thing though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Walter posted:

What does that extremely cool looking piece of technology do?

It's a drum machine and sampler. You record samples, or cut up beats and loops, then map them to those pads, then you play the pads with your fingers. It's like making beats by tapping your fingers on a table or something but a million times better.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This is an electrosluch. It allows one to listen to electromagnetic fields. It loving rules. Handmade in Slovensko!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

oh my god. I think I need this. can I possibly run a cord out of it and run it through efx? oh my god. where do I order one?

Yes, there is a 1/8 inch audio out where you can either plug in headphones, or plug in a cord to send the signal wherever you want. I already made some improvised ambient drone pieces by just sending it through a ton of reverb and then running it over various electronic devices. I might make a video demonstration of one of those this weekend.

Cojawfee posted:

So it's like a theramin?

Sort of, in the sense that you can "play" it by moving it various distances between various electromagnetic field generating objects and can get different tones just by turning it. However, this does not change the pitch in the same way that a theramin works. Rather you can get different sounds out of it changing the angle and by loving around with whatever object you are listening to. Like if you hold it up to a smartphone and start using apps or even just scroll around you'll hear different kinds of sounds. Earlier today I took it over to my piano teacher's house and he has a Farfisa from the mid-60's which has some kind of motor based vibrato. I could get a lot of really great tones just from listening to different areas of the organ's body without even pressing anything, and then if you turn on the vibrato you can actually hear that warbling in the electromagnetic field. The sounds from computers, ereaders, cellphones etc. are more complex and unpredictable.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Or, I'm guessing, those DealExtreme "spy" gadgets to find out whether your room is bugged.

Well literally any object that uses electricity makes a bunch of noises on this thing so it would give you a lot of false positives if you used it for that, unless you knew very specifically what to listen for.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 11, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

Those are really fun to use. For awhile I was the crazy dude walking down the streets recording random areas and things. If you live nearby any heavy industry/power plant it is amazing.

Yeah I live on the border of a fairly industrial area and I already walk around doing field recordings all the time with my regular Tascam. The only issue with this thing is it seems with a lot of sources you have to get quite close.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

No an instrument but, JBL LSR305's, my first pair of actually good monitors and the final component of getting home setup set up exactly right after literally decades

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

just got this tecsun am/fm/sw/mw/lw receiver - it is run into my computer via a scarlett 2i2 (buried under cables in the background) whereupon it goes through some nice delays and reverbs as I scroll through the frequencies

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

What is even broadcast on sw/mw/lw?

there are a bunch of stations broadcast all over the world on those bands ranging from news to music to religious ramblings, they are much more spread out than on say fm but in many cases you can pick them up from much further away.

however i will be using not just the stations but also just the different kinds of dead air/hisses/statics/interference/weird random poo poo you can find on shortwave sometimes - again its all going through a bunch of effects so its more of an ambient textural use rather than actually listening to any specific broadcast. i'm taking it on a tour in a few days so it'll also be interesting to see what I pick up in different regions

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

just got this very nice little reverb very natural sounding - I am actually running a keyboard through it rather than a guitar (yamaha mx49) the keyboard has its own reverb which is crap, I'm preparing for a show in which I'm using a lot of contemporary digital imitations of 80's rhodes&wurli type sounds so this adds a nice more organic element

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my first major new instrument purchase in many years. "the Cozy" electric mandola by Eastwood

so far it feels and sounds amazing. unfortunately they sent it with the wrong finish (I ordered black, received sunburst) and I'm trying to figure out what to do about that as i really want to use it in an overseas gig next week, and their logistics department seems like a mess (they only shipped this one after I sent an email asking where it was). anyway maybe the sunburst is growing on me