Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
This isn't exactly an instrument or gear purchase post, but....

If you have a college or university in your city, they probably operate their departments and faculties on some sort of 2/3/4-year operating budget with a high turnover purchasing plan to boot. Which means every three years, every department gets new gear, and they have to get rid of the surplus somehow. And every now and then there's something valuable, which, if my experience is anything to go by (1975 Garnet amp for $50, 1970 Rhodes for $250, two King Eroica French Horns for $75) you would all be wise to look into what might be available to you. Hell, even if it's not directly music related, you could potentially find a good deal on something else, flip that, and use it to fund your music exploits! :D

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just sniped a killer deal on a vintage Milab DC96B to add to my Pearl/PML/Milab collection.

:hellyeah:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I've been waiting for another illusive 8 ohm Gibson Power Stealth to pop up on eBay, but this original Tom Scholz Power Soak MkI popped up for $100usd soooo... YOINK!

Suck it motherfucker! :synpa:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 29, 2014

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

I am well-liked enough that I got a VT Bass pedal for Christmas. This thing really has a huge range, from barely perceptible to blowing out the drat speakers. I think I'll never turn it off.

I just bought a VT Bass DI. Bonus feature: it can run off of 48V phantom power from the board! Spent all night putting it to use.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Does anyone know of an iOS/Android app geared toward musicians that you can use to index and keep an active inventory of all of the instruments and gear you own that simultaneously allows you to add information like photos, unique identifiers, modifications, serial number, price purchased for, year purchased, etc? Sort of like how Liberty Mutual has an app that lets homeowners catalogue all of their possessions for insurance purposes?

Because if it doesn't, how hard is it to commission someone to make that into an app? I kind of want to approach Reverb.com and see if they would be interested in taking that idea and turning it into some sort of utility that could integrate into their browsing/purchasing/selling/GASing experience.

With that in mind, how many of you would use an app like that, and what kind features would you or would you not want to see implemented?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 4, 2015

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just a heads up, Prymaxe is doing a 40% off clearance items blowout if you use the code "save40," and 20% off pedals if you use "holi20." I think it ends today.

I just ordered a Mid-Fi Fuzz Wall for $142 down from $224 with the save40 code. Never heard of it before but in the video below it sounds like Church of Misery so I had to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdTQx_1QDG8

And an AMT LLM2 volume pedal with the save20 code.

I was hoping to grab an AMT expression pedal and a couple EHX Pitch Forks with that 20% off deal but they're out of stock. :argh: Also apparently you can't stack coupons so I had to do each order separately.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
So I already own a Westbury Deluxe, and when I posted it in this thread someone replied with "If you ever want to get rid of it let me know." I don't remember who that was, but another 1981 Westbury Deluxe popped up on eBay, in better condition than the one I own, with the cream Dimarzio Super IIs and everything. It's the only other one I've seen pop up in over a year, and the seller is going stupid cheap. Somebody buy this.

Click for link.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 17, 2015

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Some dumb guitar popped up for sale locally and I've literally been drowning in money lately so

Bonus:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

muike posted:

That case is super cool but I'm laughing at canadian money.

Me too. The loonie (pardon my vernacular) has really been tanking on the greenback lately. Harper's Economic Action Plan went straight to hell as soon as OPEC let loose with their maximum oil production strategy last month. With that in mind, and taking the current exchange rate into account, I paid roughly the equivalent of $1300 USD for this guitar. Taking a look at Reverb.com and using their super secret "&showsold=true" URL hack, I see that two of these 400-run Mark II's recently sold for $4000 USD each, so I think it's safe to say I didn't do a dumb thing. :chome:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Hammer Bro. posted:

What the heck is this and how do I play it?

A roommate's girlfriend surprised me with this tonight; she has no idea what it was and I assume it came from a thrift shop.

I've been googing my best, and have scanned the Atlas of Plucked Instruments, but I can't seem to find any comparable instruments with the strings stacked vertically.

It looks African, but it sounds East Asian. I'd really like to know more about it if anyone recognizes it.

My first thought was that it looks like some kind of mock/novelty West African Kora harp, but after a quick GIS it's probably an Ennanga as used by the Baganda or Basoga tribes of Uganda, or some derivation thereof. I have no idea how to tell if it's the real deal or some novelty thing, or even if I'm anywhere near close in my assessment of the matter, but I would guess by your massive thumb in the one image that it's either a novelty instrument or you have some sort of weird glandular issue that you were hiding exceptionally well up until now.

As far as African harps are concerned, Ba Cissoko are to the kora what Jimi Hendrix was to electric guitar, and they rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfXsrvKlu30

Watch and listen as they start absolutely shredding it at 3:56. Like holy mother gently caress. :stare: Try and do that with the one your roommate's girlfriend gave you and she'll end up as your girlfriend AND your roommate and your ex-roommate will die starving and alone wondering how his world could have possibly flipped upside down with such ferocious momentum. :guitar:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 10, 2015

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
A while ago I rewired my SG and in the process of figuring it out I stumbled onto this 7-switch wiring diagram at 1728.org to allow full control over every coil in a double humbucking guitar. I thought to myself "Gee, it sure would be awesome if I could figure out how to work all of that into my Dimarzio-fitted Jaguar HH using only the holes and switches already on the guitar and without doing irreversible cosmetic damage to anything..."

I thought long and hard about taking apart standard DPDT slider switches and cutting their knobs in half lengthwise so that each side would only act on the switching mechanism of one pole, but I would need an incredibly thin and accurate cutting tool to do so, but I don't. And because I don't, I abandoned the idea when I realized the only other option would be to drill a hole for at least one more switch. Nuts to that!

Fast-forward a few months. I'm doing some spring cleaning and decide to take apart the controller for my broken $20 remote controlled helicopter so that I can recycle its plastic and gain mystical voodoo knowledge of how it's possible to make and sell a remote controlled helicopter with remote for only $20. Inside I found, among other things, two very tiny sliding SPDT switches, and I immediately remembered the 7-switch diagram from 1728. So I got out the calipers, measured the tiny switches, compared them to the standard DPDT switches in the Jaguar already, and realized that it's possible to take the single vertical sliding mechanism out of the larger DPDT slide switch and replace it with two smaller horizontally actuated SPDT switches. So that's what I'm going to do.

After countless hours of scouring the internet for part numbers and design schematics, I've finally settled on what I hope will be the most suitable tiny switches.

Twenty of them are now on their way to me for a trial run. I'll have to grind off the screw wings to make them fit sideways in the larger DPDT enclosures, but they should do the trick. Assuming I don't accidentally destroy any in the process, I might have enough to make two or three extra switches that I could sell to anyone who would have a similar use for one on their own guitar.

:q:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
A Boss KM-2 popped up on my Reverb feed last month and it blew my mind. There was the answer to how I was going to run parallel effects! So I dug a little deeper and discovered Boss offered a line of mini pedal-sized mixers for a few years in the late 70s and early 80s that were aimed at keyboard players but they stopped making them because nobody had any use for them. Neat. But that means they rarely come up for sale now. The KM-2 guy on Reverb wouldn't ship to Canada so I've been lying in wait ready to snipe the next one that popped up on eBay, which brings me to my point: I sniped the gently caress out of a KM-04 for $16usd today. :synpa:

*Stock photo.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The sound clip demos on their website lured me in:

But I think mine might have something wrong with it; it hums at a low B note whenever it's on, which can be heard under the sound of the guitar while playing. Not exactly something a Decimator can fix... I've been meaning to take a quick video demo and email them about it but I've had the flu for a week. :barf:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

what kind of tubes u got in that

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just won a vintage Milab LC25 for 1/4 the price of their contemporary model. Thanks, eBay. :hellyeah:

And then I tried to win an old Milab VM41 but I lost the sniping war. Fuuuuck. I wanted that one more. :(

Edit: I also just purchased my very first pedalboard! :haw: I've been playing for 13 years or something stupid like that and in the back of my mind I always knew I should have one, but I never liked any of the options available to me, UNTIL NOW!

A FIXpedalboards type 2 with added IN/OUT jacks and a convenient C13 style power bar hook-up. Not to mention a flight case with room to spare for cables and all of the other miscellaneous stuff I'd ever be taking anywhere. FINALLY no more stupid long setup times.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 26, 2015

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

This is a mid '70s Vox V846 wah out of Sepulveda California that I had seen sitting in a pawn shop for well over a month. I assumed based on its condition that it must be a modern model deserving of no special attention. Today I went in and saw it had been placed out from behind the glass display case it was usually in, sitting on a shelf, marked down to $55cdn. I flipped it over and realized it wasn't new, but it also wasn't Italian, so I took the model/serial and went home to do a more in-depth search. There are a couple of these exact wahs listed on eBay and Reverb for $450cdn+. For anyone interested in the math, that's roughly an 800% profit margin. I grabbed my keys and was out the door in two seconds flat.

:hellyeah:

edit: holy good god tables

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Sockington posted:

Go to message this guy and he's out of town for a week. I get first crack at it next week when he gets back. :circlefap:

Are you in Edmonton, and is this a MIJ/CIJ?

edit: me read gud

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I don't have a picture of them separately but my local Long & McQuade had a Ditto looper and PSM5 for stupid cheap, and they are now on my pedalboard that I just spent a stupid amount of time cutting and soldering wires to length for because after like 13 years of playing I figured I should cut the crap and just get a pedalboard already like jesus why the gently caress did it take me this long.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Yarbald posted:

:stare:

what in the gently caress is even going on here

Guitar -> Boss J-5 splitter mounted beneath the top deck:
J-5 Out #1.) Tuner -> Wah -> HM2 -> FZ2 -> Mr Black Distortion -> PSM5 A -> KM-04 Input 1
A.) PSM5 send -> DD6 input B for clean (output B -> PSM5 return) + effect (output A -> Pitch Fork -> KM-04 Input 2)
J-5 Out #2.) Tim Escobedo's Ugly Face -> LAL Cyber Psychic -> KM-04 Input 4
J-5 Out #3.) MXR Talk Box -> Microphone -> Mackie Mix5 -> OD2 -> KM-04 Input 3
J-5 Out #4.) Connects to a clean out jack on the side of the board.

Each loop ends at the KM-04, the KM-04 outputs to the Ditto, and the Ditto connects to an output jack mounted on the back of the board to go to the amp.

Here's a short clip of the three main parallel loops acting simultaneously.

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's, um, a lot of distortion/OD.

The plan is to keep whichever one works best for the band I'm jamming in right now and swap in a Maxon AF9 -> Boss OC3 in the place of whichever two end up getting cut. The OD2 is strictly for the post-mixer talkbox signal before it gets fed back into the amp chain.

comes along bort posted:

the settings on your hm-2 are all hosed up

Edit: But seriously, the HM2 sounds loving terrible with every knob dimed.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 25, 2015

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Dr. Scientist's Heisenberg Nanodrive is finally about to ship out.

Remember this from over a year ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJIihaLV9g

Here's a practical demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arqzkv4w8yQ

Well, that prototype has been turned into a final product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFnDnHLrbk

I've been following Dr. Scientist's distributors for the last six months and one of the stores in Edmonton finally started taking presale orders. They were sold out all of last week, I decided to check again today and there were 3 available. Now I wait. :hellyeah:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Crossposting from the home recording thread because I have no idea where else to ask, but where can I buy rackmount rails in 8U and 12U lengths for a reasonable price?

Edit: I just bought some rack rails.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 12, 2016

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

sensy v2.0 posted:

Got myself this a couple of weeks ago. It plays great and I love that it looks a bit different from most acoustics.

Nice gimmicky overpriced "boutique" shitbox you delusional weirdo.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I sold my Rockman Power Soak a while back cuz it sucked and have been waiting to snipe either a Gibson Power Stealth or a Weber Mass 100, and this just popped up on eBay for a half decent price soooo:

VV VV

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 20, 2016

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Since I last probably posted, I ordered a bakelite pickguard and a set of zebra 57 Classics.

I want to nickel plate the gold V tailpiece now. Can anyone recommend how to get that done? There's only one place I could find in Lethbridge that does electroplating and they source it out to a place in Calgary. For the price they were asking I figure I could probably mail it away to someone myself. But who, and where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

peter gabriel posted:

Easiest way would be get some oven cleaner on the tailpiece you have and the gold will come off

or Ebay etc:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3906...type=pla&crdt=0

I'd prefer a shiny nickel coat to a chemically stripped zinc coat though, and unfortunately it's not the same size as a regular flying V tailpiece.

Warcabbit posted:

Is that more or less comfortable than a Flying V to play? And can you do Breakin' The Law with it?

The bottom edge sits flat on your lap and props the neck up into the perfect fret hand position. And gently caress yes. :)