Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'd like a few recommendations on the next few planned purchases for my setup.

Current setup:

Mackie Onyx 400F for recording
T.C. Electronic M-One XL for send fx/post processing fx
Shure SM57 mic
Tracktion 2 for sequencing/recording
Various synths (nord modular, a couple rolands, a novation) and VST plugins.

What I'm looking to buy:

I need a good pair of monitors, preferably under $1000 for the pair. I am currently looking at the Mackie HR824 (roughly $1200 for pair) but if I'd like to know if anyone has a recommendation for something of similar capability/quality that is (if possible) cheaper. Good low-freq response and handling is important (I tend to prefer/mix a heavy low end and I need something that let me tell if I'm going too far or not)

A good condenser mic for vocals for around $350-500. A little over is ok if it's a very good mic. Looking for something that will help give a good 'sparkle' to vocals and will be able to handle screamed vocals. It doesn't need super-high SPL handling since it won't be used for micing instruments at all.

A no-frills sampler. Something like the old Akai S-series or or E-Mu ESI samplers, not some loop-based production studio that is all the rage these days. Would prefer something without a sequencer. Rackmount would be nice. Looking for something with good filters and the ability to control parameters in realtime during a performance (either using a midi control surface or onboard controls). Also looking for a decent max memory amount (128mb or so) and the ability to load sample banks and patches from a HDD.

Once I get some feedback and recommendations I plan on going out and a/b-ing things, so I'm mostly interested in just building a list of stuff to compare at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mindphlux posted:

blerg. I play around with ableton and reason just for kicks sometime, but my old 49 key midi controller from the early 90s finally completely crapped out.

I want a new fancy one with knobs and stuff that will map into whatever I want in ableton, so was looking at the Axiom Pro 49, but the price (~450) is a bit rough for just my dicking around needs. I don't want to get just a normal axiom, I have a friend who has one and it just isn't nub friendly enough; we can never get the knobs and sliders to map to what we want them to.

Are there any other products that are fairly intuitive, have 49 keys and knobs and sliders and stuff? hopefully for less than 500 bucks? or does maudio really have a niche with their stupid 'hypercontrol' thing?

In that price range, this is a much better option: http://www.novationmusic.com/us/products/midi_controllers/sl_mkii

You could also buy some other, cheaper controller, then at a later date grab one of these to add tons of extra knobs: http://www.novationmusic.com/us/products/midi_controllers/zero_sl_mk_ii

This is a little cheaper than the M-audio or the ReMote SL: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Professional-MPK49-Keyboard-USB-MIDI-Controller-104615018-i1380175.gc

Another option: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cakewalk-A-300PRO-485742-i1526687.gc

My personal choice would be to look for a used Novation X-station if you absolutely need tons and tons of mappable knobs and sliders (they've been discontinued for a while, but it literally has more knobs than any other controller in recent memory). It has something like 35-40 mappable controls (an editor software where you can create custom control maps and save them as templates). Plus it's a synth and USB audio/MIDI interface. I use one with my laptop when traveling as a nice portable studio. (can you tell I love their controllers and synths?)

Also, I wouldn't pay more than $5 for anything M-audio makes, but that's because every single piece of M-audio gear I've ever owned/bought has either died or stopped working within a few months of purchase, or didn't work right out of the box. It's the cheapest build quality possible. The Chinese state-factory designed and built CME controller I got for free and have sitting in the corner of this room is better built than any of the M-audio controllers I've played with, and that's saying something.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

fuf posted:

But I only got the external box thing, so no cables and no PCI card. Can I do anything with it?

Nope. Unless you need a good paperweight.

Why the heck would someone only give you the breakout box and not the PCI cards? The PCI cards are equally useless on their own without the breakout box to plug anything into them...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CubanRefugee posted:

I hate posting such a lame question, but I'm having such a difficult drat time finding an answer on any sites to purchase from.

I'm wanting to do some podcasting, and eventually get back into playing my sax and recording it. My microphone right now is on a tiny desk stand. I'd love to get one of those retractable arm broadcaster desk stands that I can mount my mic on, but I can't for the life of me figure out the proper name for one, so my searches turn up jack poo poo. Even if someone has one and can recommend one, that would be fantastic.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Heil-Sound-PL2T-Overhead-Broadcast-Boom?sku=451040

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

unpurposed posted:

Is there a comparable device that people would rather suggest?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IKMAMPPEDAL

(that way not only do you get the interface, but you also get the much-better-sounding-than-Guitar-Rig Amplitube 3)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

krnhotwings posted:

So I tried plugging my guitar directly into the line-in to see what software modeling would be like in GarageBand, and I absolutely cannot find the settings to get the tone that I want. I don't know if it'll be any different with Line 6 software, but I think I'll go for mic'ing my amp instead...

Garageband has poo poo for amp simulation compared to pretty much any professional amp modeling on the market. It's a cheapie toy for people who aren't really serious about doing anything with their music.

Seriously, don't use Garageband.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Hogscraper posted:

That record ends the digital vs. analog argument forever.

[citation needed]

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

An0 posted:

cross-posting:

I'm running an Akai MPK49 into an E-Mu 0404 USB, which then goes into the computer for sounds, and headphones out for my stereo.

1. When I play using Reason, the sound doesn't work in Foobar/Firefox/Reaper, so I can't jam along to songs.

How can I change this ?

2. Even using the lowest sample rates, I still get latency - even with only a Redrum. Like just playing a kick at the same time as the metronome and there's a delay which fucks everything up.

Help ?

3. I bought a MIDI cable to run between the Akai and the EMU so as to reduce latency, but I don't think it's changed anything - and fiddling with Inputs in reason to make it "Midi In" never gives any sound.

I just wanna jam and make bad pastiches of Dilla beats

1) most audio apps talk to the sound interface in exclusive mode - once you start up Reason, it has your Emu's full attention, so that other apps trying to play sound won't interrupt the stream and cause latency or stutters. If you want to jam along, you'll probably have to stick the songs you want to play with on an ipod or something, and plug that into one of the lines in on the Emu and route that input to go to the main outs that your computer or keyboard is outputting to (I have no idea how to do this on something like an Emu, the user guide should show you more).

2) make sure Reason is set to use the ASIO drivers for your Emu, not directsound or windows audio; the latter two options are not intended for doing music production and have horrible latency.

3) switching between two different MIDI interfaces won't do anything to resolve latency problems; that's entirely an audio interface issue (usually driver or system related, as above).

edit: when you say "headphones out for my stereo", you do mean you have the headphones plugged into the Emu 0404, and not your computer's onboard soundcard, right?

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 3, 2011

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

coolbian57 posted:

What do you mean by pre's? Do you mean pre-amp? Because that is another concept I know next to nothing about. But I've heard that it is kind of important for reducing static and stuff like that. Which is really my main concern. Am I on track? I'll definitely look into those M-Audio type units on Google.

A pre-amplifier takes the very, very tiny electrical signals created by a microphone and magnifies the voltages by a large amount. All pre-amps will affect the sound in some way or another due to the amplification of the signal, good ones will do so in a way that sounds good. Cheap barely functional preamps on a generic onboard soundcard on a computer will do it in a way that sounds like loving rear end and will cause all kinds of distortion and undesirable artifacts in the recording.

You need at least a basic recording-oriented soundcard or interface that's at least got a pre-amp designed with using a proper studio-style microphone (i.e. not the $5 boom or headset mics made for chatting in games or skype). Different units will have different qualities and grades of pre-amps in them, but pretty much any sound interface made for musicians will make your recordings sound vastly better than what you're using now. A bonus is that most of them will have either a proper 1/4" or XLR style jack made for using a big-boy microphone, so you won't need that adaptor cable anymore.

This thread has a listing and discussion of good quality beginner (i.e. cheap) recording interfaces, browse through the thread and/or ask in there for suggestions that fit your budget and you should get pointed in the right direction.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A Good Critique posted:

Reaper has never done it for me, and I've tried many times to get into it. I know it's highly flexible and customisable, but for me that's the problem. I don't have the time to go through getting everything just right by customising menus, finding a skin that isn't gaudy as hell, setting up a bunch of key commands (or downloading someone else's) and fiddling with the minutiae of my DAW.

It's a shame, because I genuinely admire Cockos' business model and support for Reaper - cheap licence fee which covers several major updates, constant stream of minor updates and patches, a development team that actually listens to the user base, and so on. As a Pro Tools 9 user, it can sometimes feel like Avid doesn't care that much about us.

Yeah, that's the same problem I'm having right now... the DAW I've been using hasn't been updated or had active development or so much as a peep from the developers making it for years now, but I can't find anything else that really works for me. So far the most usable and well thought out interface I've found to replace it with is Logic, but that would require dropping $2k on a new Mac, another $1k or so on buying crossgrades for the various plugins I have (not to mention several of my favourite and most used plugins don't even have OSX versions).

Why is it so hard for DAW makers to make a program that works like and is designed from the ground up to be a piece of well-designed and laid out software, rather than trying to make everything more obtuse and roundabout by trying to make it work like a hardware-based studio? A DAW isn't a hardware console and rack of hardware, it's software - trying to make it look and feel like hardware doesn't make it more usable.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mandals posted:

What DAW are you using, and would you consider Ableton? It's first audience was DJs and remixers, so it's not really a legacy DAW like some of the other ones.

Actually, Ableton was one of the ones that I've been trying, and getting very annoyed at.

I'm neither a DJ nor a remixer, and frankly, so far, it does nothing that Tracktion (the one I've been using) doesn't, and nearly everything is harder and slower to do. The workflow, so far, is atrocious. I really don't see why they need to have a different Arrangement and Session view instead of just combining the two. It's like they went out of their way to add needless complexity.

I use my DAW almost entirely for sequencing, and the piano roll editor in the 8.2 demo is so rudimentary that if it were my app, I'd be ashamed to have included it.

I know Rivensbitch thinks Tracktion is the devil incarnate, but it did so, so very many things right in terms of a streamlined, menuless, single screen interface. It does require you to think and approach your workflow from a totally different angle than a traditional DAW, but once it clicks for you, it's a real "holy poo poo I don't have to wrestle with the interface" moment.

As far as watching 10 hour video tutorials? I never even cracked the help screen on Tracktion - I learned it entirely by using the popup help. I literally had the whole thing mastered within the first day without ever watching a single video or reading a single manual. The only other app that's even come close to that is, as I mentioned in the previous post, Logic.

I think Ableton is certainly powerful and capable of doing tons of neat poo poo with a lot of flexibility, but I'm a total, utter usability nazi, and if I have to wrangle with the program too much, I bin it. (it's also another reason I don't want to go to Logic despite loving how it worked - I cannot stand OSX (I loved classic MacOS though)). It's a shame for me too, since I know so many people (including some good friends who want to remix some of the stuff I've done) who use Ableton, but for me, it's really looking like a complete non-starter.

I'm probably going to give that new PreSonus Studio One DAW a try next, maybe it'll be better for me than Ableton.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

RivensBitch posted:

I can understand that everyone's workflow is different, so if Ableton doesn't work for you then that's fine. But it obviously works for a lot of people, and you seem to be having problems with a lot of the different DAW platforms. But if traction is working for you, why switch at all?

To me, most DAWs (even ableton) are basically the same thing. The little details can make a big difference sometimes, but in terms of the basics they're all a horizontal timeline with vertical elements.

What really brought me on board with Ableton was the session view, because it broke from this horizontal timeline thinking and turned my DAW into something I could actually use to create music, rather than just capture or arrange it.

See, what I actually like about Tracktion is that there are no vertical elements (i.e. trying to replicate channel strips off a mixer). Everything always works in a consistent left-to-right signal flow, and it makes it explicit and obvious by a plugin or element's position from left to right where it is in the signal flow and how it will affect the signal chain, without having to click on an element and look at a label to see where it's routed.

Before using Tracktion, I mostly used the built in arranger/sequencer on one of my old Roland workstation keyboards, or played around in Rebirth or FastTracker II a lot, and had until about 5 years ago, never owned or touched a mixing desk, so DAWs that try and replicate the look and feel of a mixing desk with banks of arbitrary inserts and sends to route things around just feels clumsy to me - slower and less visually informative than Tracktion's method of just arranging everything solely by it's position on the screen from left to right. It's faster to use, and takes advantage of the fact that on a computer screen, you can use the position of something as a form of information about the object itself - you're not constrained by the limits of physical objects.

I can see if you were used to using a console, how a more traditional DAW layout would make more sense, but for someone coming in from a totally fresh perspective, they're cluttered, clumsy, and unintuitive because they fail to make use of spatial positioning as an additional vector for providing information.

As far as why I want to switch, well, ever since Mackie bought the rights to the software, they released a couple updates, then stopped supporting it altogether. It still works under modern OS's, but they've essentially gone silent on it, with the last update dating back to the start of 2008. That's 3 years without any updates or word on a new version or anything. It's effectively dead, much like the ancient version of Logic for Windows that I have sitting on a disk somewhere.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 19, 2011

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Carados posted:

So, is it possible to get one of these running on a modern PC, be it Windows, or Mac? If so, would I be locked into Pro Tools?

Possibly, but you would very much be locked into Pro Tools. It requires a Pro Tools MIX card, d24 audio card, Disk I/O card, or a DSP Farm card to be installed in your computer to even hook it up, unless you only want to use it as a standalone A/D converter.

And that's assuming that if you can track down one of those older cards that it actually has drivers for it for a modern OS.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

RivensBitch posted:

Do they? They're cheap and you get what you pay for, what else do you need to know? There are quite a few posts sprinkled about in the history of this thread about having a lack of gain in the preamps of some of their interfaces, but I don't think anyone ever accused them of being anything they aren't: a low cost entry level interface.

I've got a Delta 1010 that just up and died a few months after I bought it, and I once bought one of their controller KB's that had a couple keys that flat out didn't work right out of the box. I had an old Audiophile 2496 whose MIDI would stutter and drop notes constantly if you tried playing more than a few notes at a time through it (such as sending out data to a couple different synths at the same time).

Out of the 5-6 pieces of M-audio gear I've owned, the only one that's either not died shortly after purchase, had issues working correctly, or just plain been broken right out of the box is my Midisport 2x2 interface.

If that's "getting what you paid for", I'd rather spend the extra $25-50 to buy something from a brand that actually works.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SuperMxyz posted:

I have just had bad experiences with a non-ti firewire ports probably.

Everyone has bad results with non-TI firewire chips. That's why you should never buy any PCI firewire card that doesn't use a TI chipset.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

does Pro Tools 8 LE work on it?

Probably.

Though Pro-Tools 9 just came out and now no longer requires any kind of special hardware anymore. You can run it with any interface you want.

Personally I think you're better off buying a separate audio interface and control surface, if only because you can tailor it to your exact needs, and buy or upgrade in pieces as needed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

RivensBitch posted:

As far as control surfaces are concerned, I'm currently developing a small (8" x 3" x 3/4") control surface that is a 40x2 character LCD screen with 8 channel and 1 master pushbutton encoder knobs, and a few modifier/shift buttons. It's arduino based and will emulate a Mackie Control so it's compatible with all major DAWs. My goal is to make it super compact and affordable.

Will buy this where do I send my monies.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

LedZergling posted:

And the guitar/bass/vox I can just record into myself - my only question is here is what cable goes from the instrument to my computer, do they make an XLR to USB cable or how does that all work exactly?

The answer to that part of your question is best found in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3278830

As for your 'Pro-tools setup', which version of Pro-tools do you have? Unless it's the most recent version of Pro-tools, it requires an external audio interface of some kind, so you should already have an audio interface if you bought your copy of Pro-tools anytime more than ~6 months ago. If you want soft-synths and midi sequencing, since you've already got a mac, you should look at Logic, which IMO is much better for MIDI sequencing than Pro-tools, and comes with some very good soft-synths and plugins.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Thirst for Savings posted:

So I noticed last night after a pretty long session of recording/mixing that my right ear was ringing and felt like it was... Asleep? Today it feels a little better but the ringing is still there and I can't hear so well out of it.

The thing is that I wasn't really recording anything loud. My mix barely breaks -3db at any given point. Monitors and headphones are turned down pretty low.

I'm a little concerned about this, wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and how did you handle it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Could be a lot of things causing it, though in-ear phones are one possible cause.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I'm not actually trying to record anything yet, but right now all I want to do is plug my instrument into my computer and have the sounds come out of my headphones which are attached to my computer directly in real time. Then I can play an mp3 or go to a youtube video and play along without annoying anyone.

So right now, I have my bass plugged into my head. I have a line going from the "preamp out" on the head to the "line in" on my computer's onboard Realtek sound. I can hear the sounds, but it doesn't keep up with my playing, and there is some latency. I guess it is that difficult for the computer to take sound in and pass it right out through. I may be doing this wrong because I don't know what I'm doing. Is there a better way?

You need a better sound card that supports ASIO, and a program (a DAW, or a standalone amp simulator like Amplitube) that can utilize it. The standard windows sound drivers do not support low-latency sound playback, ASIO is a type of driver designed for low latency recording and playback, but windows itself will not utilize the drivers, you need a program designed to work with an ASIO sound card in order to get the low latency you want.

The plus side to getting a new sound card, however, is you can get one with a 1/4" input and preamp built in, and just plug your bass straight into that, bypassing your amp head entirely; plus using an amp and effects simulator will give you tons of options for trying different tones and effects out.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GrahamBLY posted:

So I think I'm screwed, but I'm not really that tech savvy so maybe it's an easy fix.

I bought a cheapish keyboard for a midi controller and cannot for the life of me get windows 7 to recognize it.

Yamaha YPT-400, shows up in device manager as Yamaha PORTATONE.
I've tried every driver available on Yamaha's driver page, but I get an error message saying the processor is insufficient to run the driver. I don't see how this could be possible, but hey I'll bite. It's an i3 mobile, and I'm running Windows 7 32bit.

According to the readme for latest drivers for that thing, it requires at least a 1.4ghz processor; depending on what processor you have, some i3s are less than 1.4ghz (a few of the low-power-usage mobile chips). Are you using a notebook/netbook with one of those?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Physical posted:

Nope thats the problem. I want to use this on the too-new-and-expensive-to-ditch laptop that doesn't have PCMICA or ExpressCard slots. I did however find a USB to ExpressCard adapter. And from there I can get an ExpressCard Firewire adapter. USB 3.0 kills firewire I think speed wise.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ExpressCard-Adapter-Wireless-Broadband/dp/B0024OMS6E/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CJQBEPICMAE

You may end up with slightly ridiculous latency using such a daisy chain of devices and convertors though. Whether or not that creates an issue for you depends on what you're doing and whether you need (close-to) real time monitoring and playback.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Is there a reason why DAWs don't include notation software? It just seems easier to use than piano rolls. Most forums on the subject are complete wastelands on the subject.

Only easier if you can sight read sheet music.

I'd be willing to wager something like 99% of working musicians outside of classical and jazz genres cannot read a note of sheet music and/or may never have taken formal music training.

This is especially true of electronic music, which is the style of music you're most likely to encounter people entering music by hand with a mouse on a computer screen.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MrLonghair posted:

Let's say I take the offer on this one-owner-only Behringer MX8000 mixer (pre-lawsuit, ie it's a good Behringer mixer) and give the seller my €100..

The problem with Behringers aren't their designs, per se, it's that they use the absolute cheapest components they can, which makes them noisy and/or prone to failure... no amount of pre- or post- lawsuit will help that, since it doesn't matter whose design you steal if you're just going to replicate it with cheap components.

Expensive mixers and gear are (at least in part; usually) expensive because they use better components and construction.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Even if the Vista drivers don't work in Windows 8 (highly likely, since MS made some changes to how firewire drivers work between Vista and Win 7 - I doubt you're going to have much success in making drivers from two versions of Windows ago play nicely), you may be able to get it working with ASIO4all. It worked with my Onyx400f during the time that there was no working driver for Windows 7 for it, it might work with other firewire interfaces.

But yeah, buying older computer audio interfaces isn't quite the same deal as buying old non-computer music gear - the onward march of newer and newer OS's and computer hardware make it a total compatibility crapshoot, whereas a 30 year old Neve mixer or vintage tape delay will do its' job now just as well as the day it was made.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DukAmok posted:

I have a general MIDI question - how do I use a MIDI pedal board with a keyboard, ending up at a laptop? I thought the process would be, MIDI out from the pedal board into the MIDI in on the keyboard, MIDI out from the keyboard into the MIDI in on my USB interface, then interface USB to laptop. Unfortunately, this gives me no signal from the pedals, and I'm kind of at a loss. Any ideas?

You need to use the MIDI Thru port on your keyboard. If it doesn't have one, that's why you're not getting anything from the pedals. (MIDI Out just passes MIDI data generated by the device itself, it doesn't passthrough anything that comes in via the In port - though some keyboards do have configurable options to echo incoming MIDI data via the Out port - that will depend on what keyboard you're using)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ixiggle posted:

Anyone have recommendations?

Yes. This thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3278830

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Hot Yellow KoolAid posted:

Once I have one of my own original songs written, arranged, and recorded, how do I go about securing it as my own intellectual property (I'm in the United States, so I think this is called Copywriting). At what point can you copywrite a song i.e. can demos be copywritten?

I know this isn't a question about recording per se, but I figure people who make it to your stage probably know a thing or two about intellectual property :buddy:

As soon as you record it onto something, you own the copyright. Proving that in court is another thing entirely, but generally, if you made it (and the rights didn't already belong to someone else, i.e. in the case of a cover song), you automatically own the rights up until you sign them over to some other entity. There is no paperwork or lawyers or anything else involved in the process - the act of creation automatically copyrights it just for existing. (you may be thinking of trademarks, which do need to be registered with the govt.)

A common bit of advice sometimes handed out to musicians is to take a copy of your recording and mail it to yourself at the post office using registered mail, and when it arrives, just put it in storage, unopened. If there ever comes a time where you have to prove original ownership, it's a dated, sealed copy of the recording proving you made it first (this is in case someone else plagiarizes your song(s) without permission/credit or claims you are stealing their song, and you have to go to court over it).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Greggster posted:

I'm thinking about just spending the whole summer playing and recording my own music, but I lack a few things ; Microphones and everything that goes with it! What I'm looking for is microphones that are capable of recording drums&vocals, 1 for kick, 1 for snare, 1 for vocals and 2 for overhead. Since I'm on a pretty tight budget (I'm thinking of spending roughly €450) my options are limited, and I'm essentially looking for off-brand microphones that are still decent enough for not recording complete garbage.

I'm also looking for a soundcard/mixer that can record 4 channels, which I'm afraid is going to have to be included to my already limited microphone-budget.
So what I'm asking for is both gear recommendations and whether this is viable. I think I could possibly go with only three mics as well, with 1 overhead, 1 vocal and 1 for the kick.
Thank you for reading this, any help is much appreciated!

Get a couple Shure SM57s for the snares/overheads/vocals, and a halfway decent kick drum mic for the kick. a lotta famous recordings use SM57s for the drum mics, and you can pick them up for less than $100 USD easily (don't be afraid to buy them used, they pretty much never break).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PopZeus posted:

I am a huge fan of the Bee Thousand/Alien Lanes sound, and I know that Guided By Voices recorded most of that on a 4-track.

They also recorded those nearly a decade before DAWs and quality prosumer audio interfaces became affordable and common; back in the mid 90's, a 4-track was the cheapest way to record. I'm sure if those albums had been recorded in 2006, they would have been recorded on a macbook with a $200 audio interface, since it's cheaper to do it that way than using a 4 track.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ericadia posted:

Out of curiosity, how do large venues handle this, where the FOH is far away from the stage where the amplifiers are plugged in? Would having power conditioners on either end solve or minimize this problem?

No idea about venues, but singer/gutarists invariably learn the way your friend just did that you NEVER touch the mic while holding a guitar. You just don't, because you never know how lovely a venue's power system is.

It's just a thing you learn to deal with if you're singing and strumming.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

wixard posted:

If a venue isn't setup like that, there is basically nothing you can do to avoid getting shocked by microphones or safely clean up ground buzzes, period. Power conditioners are just plug strips that maybe have a fuse, unless it weighs about 100lb and says "isolation transformer" (and costs $1200+) you aren't cleaning up bad power. If all the wall outlets go back to one power service and the bar freezers are plugged into it, poo poo will buzz.

If it's the first time his guy's gotten shocked from touching his mouth to the mic, I'm guessing his band is still at the point where they're playing local dive bars - the kind that don't have good power systems. ;)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FFStudios posted:

As a huge computer hardware nerd since way back, I never really grasped how wide the gap in sound quality between AC'97 and a dedicated sound card could be. Because I can't use ASIO drivers with AC'97 without output conflicts, I went out and got a Sound Blaster Z tonight for $119. The difference is night and loving day. Plus my front panel audio connector had JUST enough length to reach the front panel port on the card which was also nice. Now I'm actually able to use MIDI controllers without a ~100ms delay between pressing the key and hearing the note.

For the record, I use actual recording hardware almost everywhere other than my home computer.

:ughh:

For $100+, you could have gotten a much, much better, recording oriented audio interface that would be much better suited to recording/audio work (with useful things like multiple MIDI ports, mic preamps, XLR inputs, etc). Anything Sound Blaster is terrible for doing music (cheap DACs, unstable timing, nonexistent/iffy ASIO support).

There's a whole thread for affordable musician-oriented audio interfaces right here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3278830

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

strangemusic posted:

For what it's worth, Cubase has a headlock on just about any other DAW when it comes to editing in my opinion.

The only thing Cubase has a headlock on is "confusing interfaces".

Most any professional DAW works fine for editing (i.e. anything but Garageband).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm still at a point where I need to hook all the hardware to my PC and I really don't know what I am doing.

You'll want to check out this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3278830

Any decent audio interface with a 1/4" line in and a preamp that can impedance match a guitar will work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Note that you're not necessarily going to get the most desirable tone from just dangling the mic by it's cord over the front edge of the cab - the angle, distance, and position of the mic in relation to the cone has a massive influence on how the recording sounds; for a lot of amps, the ideal placement is several inches away from the cone(s) at an something like a 15-45 degree angle and off to the side of the center, changing any of those variables can accentuate brightness or muddiness depending on where you move and aim it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Drummer joke:

Guy walks into a pawn shop, starts browsing around. He sees a golden rat statue on the wall behind the counter and decides it would look cool to have at the practice space. He asks "how much for the golden rat?"

The man at the counter says "I will sell it for $25, but only if you promise you will never bring it back to my store".

The guy thinks for a second, and agrees. As he walks out of the store and back home carrying his new decoration in a paper bag, he notices while crossing the street, that a rat is following him around. A few blocks further, he looks back again and sees several rats following him. He starts walking with more urgency, but after another block goes by, he's now being followed by dozens of big rats.

He starts running towards the Brooklyn bridge, and as he gets halfway across the span, he sees hundreds of rats skittering after him. In panicked desperation, he pulls the golden rat out of the paper bag and throws it over the bridge. The hundreds of rats leap after it, plummeting to their doom in the water below.

The next day, the guy returns to the same pawn shop, to the horror of the owner. "I told you never to bring that golden rat back here!" the owner screeched. "Oh, I wasn't bringing it back," the guy replied "I was just wondering if you had any golden drummers." :rimshot:

Another one:
Q: how many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: none, they have a machine for that now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

wunderdog posted:

I had this problem on my first interface (some m-audio I picked up on ebay). Found a nicer one that actually had Mac support and I set the sample rate using its software. Fixed my issues (recording wise).

Except he's got a MOTU interface, which is both high-ish end, and is from a company that mainly supports Macs (and has spotty support for using their stuff on windows).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Drag and drop loops/beats would be a very accurate description of the entire basis of Acid:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidpro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Read the OP, have a really low-level gear question: I'm going to be moving to Bogota and want to pack light, and I want some way to record video-audio clips of myself (mostly for YouTube) without having too much ancillary gear. I don't need amazing quality, if it's better than recording on my old iPhone 4S that's good enough for me.

I have a 2010 MacBook Air which has just one USB port and no FireWire. If I want to have slightly better audio/video than just using my built-in laptop mic and camera, is there a decent basic ~$50 combo camera/mic I could just jack into my computer and point in my direction to get YouTube-level recording quality? None of this is particularly pro stuff, just basic demos for sharing with other music geeks to get tips on improving, offer advice to noobs on concertina technique, etc.

Microsoft makes some pretty good HD webcams with decent built in mics - I use the mic on mine for chat in games and it's worked well (good noise rejection, people have no trouble hearing/understanding me). Won't win a grammy with it, but it's functional and cheap.

This is the model I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105576