Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Where's Mimi?

Randalor posted:

... she's an old woman who's biggest strength is being able to get people to get along and manipulateconvince people to help her. I'm honestly not sure what there is that she CAN do that doesn't involve hitting the other people trying to kill the dragon.
Shooting a crossbow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
She gave the Order a decent bit of trouble, though that was with Sunny's help.

She also seems to have a bit of inferiority complex when dealing with big bads, though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So is Serini just gonna stand there for the entire encounter or something? What is she even doing?

AnoHito posted:

Serini is practicing the legendary, age-old rogue technique of "getting other people to do your job for you." She has become quite good at it over the years.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Healing potion i presume, she looks p hosed up

Health potions are red, you silly goose.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

oobey posted:

*Watches a child go down to a single melee attack.*

"Wow, lame."

That child has like 20 hit dice

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So is Serini just gonna stand there for the entire encounter or something? What is she even doing?

Serini's main means of contributing is by digging through an immensely deep bag of magical consumables accumulated from a lifetime of adventuring to find the perfect silver bullet - emphasis on magical consumables. She could plink with one crossbow bolt a turn (or hell, even three) for modest Sneak Attack damage, but with an anti-magic field in play, she's got pretty thin odds piercing its immense Natural Armor without any extraneous magical help - and that's assuming it doesn't randomly have a non-magical source of Fortification to just no-sell Sneak Attacks regardless. In other words, the best case is pretty bad, and the worst case is basically hopeless.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

mmkay posted:

Health potions are red, you silly goose.

Could it be a potion of heroism? https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0421.html

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh that definitely looks like it, and a good callback too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The cats absolutely love the grass btw. I didnt expect it to grow so long so fast, but one of them especially loves laying in it in the sun and idly chewing whatever stalk his nearest his mouth. Its been a real hit, if you have cats I recommend it. He is finally leaving the other plants alone, as well!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

GlyphGryph posted:

The cats absolutely love the grass btw. I didnt expect it to grow so long so fast, but one of them especially loves laying in it in the sun and idly chewing whatever stalk his nearest his mouth. Its been a real hit, if you have cats I recommend it. He is finally leaving the other plants alone, as well!

Okay Belkar, let's go see the Cleric now

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

I didnt expect it to grow so long...

Yeah, that's OOTS for you.

GlyphGryph posted:

...so fast...

Oh, well, now you've lost me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
poo poo that was supposed to be in the gardening thread. I was wondering where it went when I checked the thread and it was gone.

The post in this thread was supposed to he asking again how anti magic fields work in relation to obstructions, whoops

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

poo poo that was supposed to be in the gardening thread. I was wondering where it went when I checked the thread and it was gone.

The post in this thread was supposed to he asking again how anti magic fields work in relation to obstructions, whoops

I want to imagine now that the people at the gardening thread are confused but determined to decipher how anti magic works with growing and caring for plants.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

isasphere posted:

I want to imagine now that the people at the gardening thread are confused but determined to decipher how anti magic works with growing and caring for plants.

I think the real question is "how does anti-magic fields affect unicorn poop as a fertilizer?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'd guess she's reactivating the stasis field, now that Calder doesn't have Sunny's anti-magic on it anymore.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'd guess she's reactivating the stasis field, now that Calder doesn't have Sunny's anti-magic on it anymore.

Calder's body hitting the floor wrecked the stasis field, I think. In #1299 in the first panel there are cracks all over the floor, across the circle.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

No one seems to be addressing this question directly, so I decided to take a stab at it myself. Disclaimer: The last time I DMed a game was well over a decade ago.

d20srd.org posted:

Antimagic Field
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you

d20srd.org posted:

Spell Descriptions (Area)
Burst, Emanation, or Spread
Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

d20srd.org posted:

Combat Modifiers (Total Cover)
Total Cover
If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.

If you can't see your target, the Antimagic Field won't affect them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So if bloodfeast was eaten, he wouldnt turn back into an allosaurus even if the ray came back (according to the rules, obviously the comic will do whatever is coolest)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Guys I hope Sunny is ok.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Obstructions blocking an anti-magic field sounds kinda odd because wouldn't that mean you can just wear your magic items under your clothes and they be unaffected?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Obstructions blocking an anti-magic field sounds kinda odd because wouldn't that mean you can just wear your magic items under your clothes and they be unaffected?

No because covering your skin in clothes doesn't prevent you from being burned by a fireball either. It's intended to mean actual cover.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sunny's anti-magic ray appears to be working through creatures even if they are blocking her field of view. It's hard to gauge angles in a stick figure comic, but in strip #1298 Calder and Bloodfeast are wrasslin right between Sunny and V, and V's flight spell is still disabled. By that same token, it should work on creatures swallowed by other, larger creatures.

(Plus, visually, if the ray only worked on what Sunny can see, anyone in her field of view should be casting anti-anti-magic shadows as they partially block her view of the walls and floors)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Concealment is not cover.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sunny's anti-magic ray appears to be working through creatures even if they are blocking her field of view. It's hard to gauge angles in a stick figure comic, but in strip #1298 Calder and Bloodfeast are wrasslin right between Sunny and V, and V's flight spell is still disabled. By that same token, it should work on creatures swallowed by other, larger creatures.

(Plus, visually, if the ray only worked on what Sunny can see, anyone in her field of view should be casting anti-anti-magic shadows as they partially block her view of the walls and floors)

A stupid fact laid out somewhere in the 3.5 rules is that creatures and objects are fundamentally different things as far as magic goes.

If you cover a delayed blast fireball bead with a delicate champagne flute, it will contain it entirely, with no damage.

If an ogre jumps on top of it to cover it with its body, it will still hit every creature in its radius (and take full damage)

If that sounds stupid, it is, and the rules outlining that say that DMs may want to overlook that rule when players do something fun.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ikanreed posted:

A stupid fact laid out somewhere in the 3.5 rules is that creatures and objects are fundamentally different things as far as magic goes.

If you cover a delayed blast fireball bead with a delicate champagne flute, it will contain it entirely, with no damage.

If an ogre jumps on top of it to cover it with its body, it will still hit every creature in its radius (and take full damage)

If that sounds stupid, it is, and the rules outlining that say that DMs may want to overlook that rule when players do something fun.

I would reveal that their Ogre friend was a sentient champagne flute the whole time

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
oh now we want volume instead of area

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

oobey posted:

No one seems to be addressing this question directly, so I decided to take a stab at it myself. Disclaimer: The last time I DMed a game was well over a decade ago.

If you can't see your target, the Antimagic Field won't affect them.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Concealment is not cover.

That's your answer. If you can poke a stick through it it's not cover. Hiding behind bushes wouldn't protect you from an anti magic shell, nor would ducking behind a paper screen, even though in both cases you might be 100% obscured from view. It has to be something substantial, and a good rule of thumb is that something roughly human sized and well motivated couldn't just push or crash through it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Can a human sized thing push or crash through a dragon?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

pseudorandom name posted:

The Order is trying to do that very thing right now.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Guys I hope Sunny is ok.

I can't believe Sunny is loving dead

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

pseudorandom name posted:

Anything can crash through everything if it's going fast enough, at least in real physics. Does any media (even vaguely) related to D&D handle near-lightspeed matter?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Has the peasant railgun came up in this thread before?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Gun Jam posted:

Has the peasant railgun came up in this thread before?

Yes, probably several times, but I mentioned it a month and a half ago https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2300198&pagenumber=1397&perpage=40#post537704410

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I was thinking more of an independently moving piece of lightspeed matter rather than something getting peasant railgunned, but it does fit my question's criteria so the fault is entirely mine.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The 3.5 ruleset is pretty terrible at handling real-world hypotheticals. This is a system where it is functionally impossible to Spot the moon due to distance penalties. “Velocity” as a property isn’t modeled at all, let alone how other would convert to things like damage numbers.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

blastron posted:

The 3.5 ruleset is pretty terrible at handling real-world hypotheticals. This is a system where it is functionally impossible to Spot the moon due to distance penalties. “Velocity” as a property isn’t modeled at all, let alone how other would convert to things like damage numbers.

I find these jokes puzzling. You can't fault a dungeon crawling tabletop game system for failing at modeling celestial objects, or any kind of physics phenomenon that isn't relevant to "four guys fight at most a dozen other creatures in close-range combat".

Much more relevant is how utterly inflexible 3.5/Pathfinder is at letting characters try any physical action that isn't specifically baked into their character class. Want to surprise swing a chandelier into the dastardly villain and knock him down with your momentum? Unless you specifically took the Dashing Rogue prestige class or the Attack from Swinging Ceiling-Mounted Object feat, it's gonna be strictly worse than just walking at a brisk pace towards the villain and calmly attacking him. Want to swim underwater at night, grab the dozing dock guard by their ankle and drag them into the water? The grapple rules forbid that in eighteen different ways.

Now, obviously any DM worth his salt will just make up something sensible on the spot. But that leads to ask if it's really useful to have all those fiddly rules about distance modifiers or size bonuses in the first place, when they become hindrances as soon as the players want to do anything that isn't "I walk up to Enemy A and use this one feat/spell/item".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

blastron posted:

Wait, which RPG models velocity?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sure there's some hard science sci-fi RPGs that require you to keep track of velocity and momentum for your vehicles.

Can't think of any offhand, but it does seem like the sort of thing that would be easier to simulate in a space setting.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ZearothK posted:

Gurps tried. It isn't rules you'd want to use but they exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ZearothK posted:

Doesn't Cyberpunk or Shadowrun do something like it for modeling grenades exploding in a small enclosed space?

blastron posted:

I suppose this is true, but D&D, even 3.5e, I don't think was ever meant to do so. Spotting the Moon is just something you can do, but noticing that a particular black spot is missing from the moon (because an ancient evil has awakened) or the secondary red moon is closer than before, these are things worth rolling skill checks for; but you probably wouldn't apply distance penalty for it, but environmental factors like is it a clear sky etc.