Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I will KILL a human being if the next strip focuses on Elan's lovely Adventures of Boring poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
New strip is up
Waffleimages is being bitchy, so I can't rehost it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
62 dragons (eggs included) died with that little stunt.
If a level 15 PC were to slay 62 dragons, what level would he be after that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

Xykon's pretty badly wounded right now, what with taking an empowered sunburst flat in the face. He also has basically no high-level spells left, and if O'Chul gets V free to fire off another Disintegrate or something there's a real chance of them taking down his body. At that point, presumably they'd abandon the phylactery because it's hideously risky to bring it along given its probable trackability.

Well, that's what I *hope* is going to happen, because it makes no sense to split up the party *again*.

What's stopping them from destroying his body, putting the phylactery inside of a bag of holding and stabbing the bag?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

I think it's the fact Xykon's ludicrously more powerful than any of them.

But let's assume that O-Chul manages to incapacitate him somehow, not necessarily destroy utterly, and V manages to warp them both off the premises with the phylactery (assuming Cloyster only lets you warp out, not in). What's stopping them from grabbing one of Haley's bags and then go after Xykon before he can create a new one?
I mean, can phylacteries be destroyed that way?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Having a competent, non-insane Paladin would be a nice counter balance to Belkar's new competent, rational evilness.

He would lose his paladinhood, wouldn't he? I mean, the whole "willfully consorting with evil beings" thing.
Granted, Miko could never scan Belkar to verify if he was evil, but she wasn't consorting with him as much as she was dragging him around like a prisoner.

If anything, O-chul could probably rationalize it as "if I don't consort with this evil being then all of reality will be literally unraveled". Maybe the Twelve Gods are lenient like that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

What? Hinjo hasn't lost his powers and he's been with Belkar for months.

Belkar's been with Haley and Celia?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
You people need to post all these monologues or something because I am poor and can't afford the book (also I live in Mexico)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

So, I guess the monster is finally coming out of the box? Or he could just shuffle around inside the box and do whatever it is Xykon wants him to do.
They have a Hello Cthulhu umbrella that casts magical darkness over the monster, so I doubt that even if he's not confined to the box anymore, we still won't see him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Maldraedior posted:

I think he's got a good process going now. generally when a page ends open he's got an update out quick, and when we've got things basically wrapped up there's a bit of a gap, presumably so he can get ahead. it's possible he's just sick but considering we had a bit of a wait before V hit the tower and then a quick sucession of stuff happens updates it's probably intentional.

You just know that since the strip's about to hit a "landmark" moment he's going to announce a two-week hiatus.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Thank goodness neither Farrah Fawcett or Michael Jackson played D&D. At least the plot will start moving along now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I wonder if we'll ever get a strip with some other punchline than "Belkar"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vicissitude posted:

That would be great. He's a very well-developed character on his own and I don't think he'd really have any personal reasons not to work with them.

The slaughter of hundreds of goblins and hobgoblins?
Redcloak seems like a pretty decent guy, actually, and would probably take huge offense to the death of his people.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The Werle posted:

The other question is whether we've seen that gnome before? Maybe I'm just racially profiling...

Pretty sure it's the guy Belkar ganks right after the Mark of Justice is removed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And it better be loving hilarious.

EDIT: But not waste too much time with maudling jokes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Bobulus posted:

I don't know...he was willing to shove a party member out the window in a carefully executed gambit.

I'm willing to bet that this guy is every hero's worst nightmare: The evil overlord that is aware of genre-conventions.

As in, the guy who makes sure to make his air ducts too small to crawl through.
Aka the guy who read this

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Holy poo poo a new comic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CommaToes posted:

You do realize now that Nale is going to kill Tarquin and it'll be huge letdown for everyone because instead of being the legendary king taken down by the hero, he'll be the oblivious ruler taken down by his ungreatful son.

And Tarquin will appreciate the poetic irony in it, and leave this world knowing that despite it all, he finally managed to instill a sense of theatrics on his stupid, bearded son.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wili posted:

I think he is going to plant the phylacery on her, and then reveal it to Xykon, so he kills her himself and thus not grow suspicious of Redcloack. Maybe imply that she was planning to implant some love magic on it.

But Redcloak being in possession of the phylactery gives him an enormous ace up his sleeve, something that could very well turn the tables and twist the whole story around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm definitely pledging $10, but I'm going to wait until the last day or so to see if he adds any more goodies to the pot.
What I don't get is, even if I live in Mexico, will he ship the magnet free of charge? I ask because further down he asks Canadian/Mexican pledgers to add $7 for S&H.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
"Donate a million and I will claim Belkar's alignment is True Neutral"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wonder if he would've done a story on the Monster in the Dark before he met Xykon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Speleothing posted:

My initial take on the situation, and the one I'm sticking with, is that this is a mass-suicide/poisoning orchestrated by the leader of the family/cult. Hence "Lunchtime"

But then you've got someone who died while carrying a tray of food.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wasn't there also another pretty blatant copy called the Way of the Metagamer or something?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Colon V posted:

Why would someone complain about Erfworld? It's not like having it on GiantITP made OotS update slower. :psyduck:

It was creepy and weird and was trying too hard to be seen as serious

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Basically V's player should be getting some sweet roleplaying XP right about now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DrakePegasus posted:

Reread Tarquin's every word and evaluate them. C'mon, man, this should be standard procedure!

I hope so, I'm so loving sick and tired of Nale and the Linear Guild in general.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Whoa I did not expect getting my magnet so soon. It's pretty keen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Has Burlew alluded that the strip is an actual game being played at that moment by a group of friends and an incredibly devious, dickish, but clever DM or is it just a story set in the D&D universe using D&D conventions?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, he's outright said that it's the latter. People are just playing around!

So it's essentially its own thing inspired by D&D instead of being like Goblins (but here the DM instead of being incredibly devious, dickish, and clever he's just a really gross dude with some horrible fetishes)?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

greatn posted:

Goblins is based on am actual game? Holy fuckin poo poo, that's somehow more messed up.
Goblins is a game being played, yes. The player behind the dwarf is a woman, for instance. The dwarf is a cleric who worships the DM.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DrakePegasus posted:

That sounds really boring and uninteresting. Luckily this story is written by Rich Burlew instead, and so it will be neither of those things.

Tarquin is just fun. He's as fun-loving and charismatic as his son, but with the intelligence to use it to his advantage, as well as something nearly no antagonist exhibits: common sense. In a world dominated by magic and casters, he's a melee fighter who has made himself great mostly outside of battle. There's nothing new under the sun, but Tarquin's presentation as an ultra-competent and eloquent antagonist is certainly a breath of fresh air, and should be quite enjoyable to anyone who can appreciate a bit of black humor.

I think the thing is that the pacing of the comic has been ridiculously slow, we've already grown fatigued of Tarquin; he's :regd08: incarnate. Yes, we get it, he subverts every single cliché possible. Can we move on? Can we do something about the plo-... oh, what's that? The strip ends with Tarquin having a 5-year old analyze his plan to find any obvious fault? Well, that's fine too I guess.

And yeah Nale is the worst can you kill him already?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

greatn posted:

Come to think of it is every major problem I have with the comic directly related to Elan? Is he that guy who is the GM's best friend so the story always revolves around him and eger other players are like "can we move on please?"

For me it is; I quickly got bored of Elan and Thog's adventure, got exasperated with the Terkla subplot, loathe anything having to do with Nale/Linear Guild (although Sabine is cool since she's obviously part of a bigger plot), pretty much dislike his wacky/4th wall shtick, and I'm tired of Tarquin already.
I mean there are a whole bunch of other characters (which is also a problem in and of itself). Burlew can do interesting things with them, too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Now Tarquin, that's the guy who has to go out like a bitch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ok you know what? I'm going to make a prediction here:
Tarquin will be put in a situation where he has to choose whether he continues with his original plan of doing evil stuff, dying, and becoming a legend, or having to sacrifice himself to save Elan's life and perish in obscurity.
It's dramatic, ironic, and would be totally in line with Tarquin's apparent love for Elan.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

shelper posted:

So his Holy word is... holy?
Isn't it usually something a little more... personalized, i guess, to the deity of worship?

Durkon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

It's nice to see reminders that Roy is a fighter with 18 int.

So what's his dump stat? Charisma?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Not that. I'm not gonna look for it but back in the Miko arc, she said he had a decent Wisdom score and could have been a Cleric.

Besides, an unwise character wouldn't have figured out how to deal with such an incompatible group of nincompoops like the Order of the Stick.

EDIT: Maybe Roy's player only rolled 16+ stats?

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

LightWarden posted:

He also bought a Belt of Charisma +2 recently.

Though guessing at their statistics is largely a pointless exercise.

They're also kind of underoptimized...

I thought the gag here was that Elan was actually the most optimized and efficient PC, stat-wise, of the group?