Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Goffer posted:

Actually I think it was used in Buffy as justification for her killing all her school chums and innocents who had been vamped guilt free.

Near the end of the show Angel sort of let slip to the audience that it was a lie and there wasn’t really a demon parasite in control, it was just people.

It was kind of both.

Vampires are soul-less half-demons possessing a human corpse, and retaining most of the memories possessed by the corpse's living owner. They don't really have an existence or an essence before being instilled into a human body, which is why they tend to resemble the living person, and behave as if they have continuity of self, but they aren't actually that person. They also come complete with standard demon fight choreography, which is legit a thing that exists in the Buffyverse. They also aren't innately evil, exactly, but they are kind of innately assholes, without sympathy or empathy, so that even the ones that eventually learn to sort of logic themselves into being a better person can never really feel shame or remorse; they can be taught that they're being a dick when they kill people, but they can't really be made to care unless they get a soul.

What gets interesting is that it's never made clear if the ones who do eventually get a soul get a new soul, or get the soul of the person who used to be in that body*. The show generally uses the terminology of them getting their soul back, but since the show is also clear that the soul left the body before the vampire set up residence, this means that either the people who cursed Angel and Spike managed to create a soul ex nihilo, or they were totally torturing a (relatively) innocent dead person.

*Since both the Buffy and Angel shows are clear that there's some kind of afterlife after death, and since neither Angel or Spike seem to remember experiencing it, you can infer that it's either a new soul, or they got their memories of heaven/hell wiped, or a that the writer's forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The limbo joke. :allears:

I never thought Rich would stoop that low.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Megatokyo still existing is fascinating. I had assumed it had Dead Piro Day'd itself into oblivion.

Megatokyo is amazing, because the tagline on the main page is still "Relax, we understand j00", a joke written 18 years ago by a person who quit the comic 17 years ago underneath a banner that was last updated 8 years ago, and yet, it persists....

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, coming back to oldchat real quick, this was the one that really hit me. "What? They had a 14-year old... 15-... the runner could be twenty????" Putting it in human terms makes it a lot more real than just abstract numbers.

What's really loving wild is that Doom 2 came out only 4 years earlier. We went from Doom 2 graphics to Half-life in less than a presidential cycle.

The 90's was like black hole time dilation for video games.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Wanderer posted:

It also doesn't hurt that Gabe's art style at PA is on a distinct downhill slide, which may make Buckley look better by comparison.
Did he get really into John Kricfalusi? Because these days he draws like someone who got really into John Kricfalusi.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Len posted:

I never played it but the way it was explained to me was as combat goes on the die ticks up and you can use flashier moves to end things quicker. So you aren't stuck with 2 hours of "i swing my sword at it" *miss*

Right. The escalation die is a d6 and it starts at one. Every round after the first round, you add the escalation die to PC hit rolls and increase it by one each round, to +6 on round seven. Some abilities also add the escalation die to damage or trigger on 3+ of the escalation die, etc.

Essentially, the longer combat goes on, the faster combat gets.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does this also make enemies stronger?
Enemies don't add it to attacks, but some enemies have specific more powerful attacks that only work after the escalation die is so big or a certain value.

Edit: Wraiths, for example, have a regular attack and an area attack they can only use when the escalation die is even (so every other round). But when the die is at 6, it's always even, so....

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 12, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I know it's not relevant to your point, but it's not a "purple worm" which we've already seen the desert arc

I think it's a Nightcrawler: which is basically just an evil undead Purple Worm.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Probably not published, but there is like a 0.001% chance that Ed Greenwood doesn't have a folder full of very explicit Chosen of Mystra orgy smut.

Ed Greenwood is the Will Ferrel character from that SNL skit where Will Ferrel and Rachel Dratch are weird hippy swingers in a hot tub hitting on strangers, talking about his "Lovahs".

He's written extensively about Sex and the Forgotten Realms in the early days of the internet, but most of it seems to have been lost. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is a very long description about how Lady Alustriel using space-bending magic to redistribute her pregnancy weight into another dimension so that she doesn't get fat, and I only remember that because is sparked a "Womb of Holding" meme.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Hate-O-Tron posted:

Couldn't you just lead him to a dead magic area and cut his throat, or does he have special bullshit to get around that cause he ate Mystra's rear end that one time?

He has special silver godfire that even works on anti magic zones.

Other than that he’s actually kind of a lovely wizard.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Only the specific baboon headed likeness can be copyrighted (or trademarked) because “Demogorgon “ is a real fictional historical demon.

Also Frankenstein’s monster can legitimately be called Frankenstein because he says several tunes that he considers victor Frankenstein his father, so it is a family name: Adam Frankenstein.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Chaotic Profitable.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

ikanreed posted:

They wouldn't spend so much time describing the spell if it wasn't going to backfire somehow right?

Could be a Chekhov's gun: the 3e version of Wind Walk lasts 1 hour per level, during which time you can fly at 60mph by changing from gaseous to physical form and back again at will. It's basically "Hey, did everyone ever want to be superheroes all day long?" the spell.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Do Clerics work like that? I thought it was just a paladin thing.

quote:

Ex-Clerics:
A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see the atonement spell description).

The difference is that most gods don't have a very strict code of conduct, and its easy for players to pick a god whose code of conduct matches their character, so it almost never comes up.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There were no non-combat rules in 3.X or 5E that weren't also in 4E. As much as either of them were roleplaying games so was 4E.\

EDIT: Oh you're the guy that claimed 4E made wizards work like everyone else and just ignored the half dozen of posters that said "Actually no they still had their unique getting lots of spells in a spellbook and prepping spells every morning.

Yeah, 4e has fairly few non-combat options compared to almost every single RPG that isn't D&D, but literally the only non-combat options it lacks that 3e or 5e has are all magical spells, which is why that argument is hilarious, because it instantly shows you where someone's priorities are.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Rich said that it's an officially released monster, so being a baby snarl wouldn't work.

I still think it’s that god fetus thing, but for a whole universe.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

They've still got Wind Walk up (I think? I don't remember Redcloak tossing off any dispels) If they can hunker down for half a minute, they can flee.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

You can't even do an endurance test, because a fighter can only fight for as long as they have hit points, and that, ultimately, ends up being a cleric resource as well.

In fact, replacing a fighter with an extra cleric just means more hit points overall.

EDIT: Even golems aren't an equalizer if the party is prepared for them, because 3e's version of immunity to magic is just infinite spell resistance, and there are enough spells that ignore spell resistance to let casters overcome golems without that much trouble.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 21, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Android Blues posted:

They wind up being an equaliser if the fighters are equally optimised, because the optimised SR reducing casters can chug through golems slowly, round by round, while the optimised fighters charge for two 180 damage attacks and delete four golems in a single cleaving alpha strike. Or six - eight golems, if they crit!

A) you can't crit golems, B) most of the ways that Fighters can optimize to fight golems also rely on casters to some extent (immunity to their spell-like effects, magical and adamantite weapons to overcome their damage reduction, etc), and C) truly optimized casters just wouldn't fight the golems because other than a literal golem kill counter there's no non-abitrary situation where mindless automatons can stand between a group of dedicated CR-appropriate 3.5e casters and their goal.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Also, "if confronted with a problem the caster cannot solve, they can simply avoid the problem!" is a silly dodge.
It's the literal truth of a 3.5 caster. Sorry, friend, I didn't write the rules, I am just cognizant of them. It turns out that if you can fly, scry, teleport, and turn into a gaseous state you do not, in fact, have to give a poo poo about golems.

A.o.D. posted:

That is not how golems work. They do not have a spell immunity that you can deplete. They are just flat out immune to every spell that isn't listed in their short list of exceptions.

There are a few clever exceptions like disintegrating a bridge a golem is standing on, but by and large there isn't a direct magic work around for taking out a golem.

The same goes for spells that ignore magic resistance. If it's not on the list, then the golem bouncer doesn't let it in the combat club.

That's not how golems work in 3.5 It's just infinite spell resistance. A caster can just pop the golem in a forcecage (spell resistance: No) and wander off.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Right. The most likely explanation is that Xykon and Redcloak are in the real hallway, and the OotS is in an extra-dimensional or extra-planar space opened when they triggered the trap. True Seeing will explicitly only let you see what's actually physically present in your location; it doesn't work across planes or in conjunction with extra-dimensional spaces, crystal balls, or clairvoyance.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

sebmojo posted:

you look at the words that say 'unaffected by non magic weapons' and don't put them as a challenge for your party without magic weapons

People are very bad at this in practice, for a lot of reasons, not least of which is that a lot of TPK abilities are a single line buried in the middle of a statblock, not an intuitive part of a monster's shtick.

Also, abilities that functionally never gets used -- "Well of course I wouldn't throw this monster that can only be hurt by magic weapons against a party without magic weapons" -- are loving garbage best assigned to the trashbin of history. It is legit only bad for the game.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Dragonlance's moon mage orders were neat.

I did always love the idea that the average person assumed there were only two moons, and only wizards and astronomers knew about the secret invisible third moon, which only became visible during eclipses.