Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

reignofevil posted:

I wish we were totally best friends and hung out!

.... what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

First, the entire party knocks themselves prone colliding with the edge of the force sphere.

Then it starts to roll.

Reflex saves, everyone, as the ball begins to roll down the incline.

Okay, Tom, so good news - Grimthwack manages to get himself up and keep pace with the rolling ball. Bad news - you know that bag of holding that Grimthwack has? The one he keeps all of his extra enchanted axes in?

Yeah, he seems to have dropped it. Open side down.

Okay, more reflex saves and I need everyone's AC.

god i miss running paranoia games

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ArkInBlack posted:

Really enjoying that all of a group's problems could be caused by Grimthwack's Axe Sack

Oh my god I didn't even realize, that makes it so much better

Now I have to set this up

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Archenteron posted:

What happens at Bard College stays at Bard College.

One time, at Bard Camp...

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Unless you're going to argue that all of the Belkar-analogues were somehow Good, then no, the Linear Guild isn't simply the exact opposite of the Order of the Stick.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ooh, Sunder Attack without the appropriate feats. Good job!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

A.o.D. posted:

Outsider is Schroedinger's webcomic. Is it updating? Is it on hiatus? Visit the webpage to collapse the waveform and find out!

This is the OOTS thread calling the kettle black.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gynovore posted:

Holy poopfarts, I picked up HoL 20 years ago and thought it was just a cute one-shot parody of RPGs. The fact that it's out there being played blows my mind.

I hadn’t thought about Hol in fifteen years. Looking it up, apparently Daniel Thron got a job doing art for the Thief series and now does visual stuff for movies. Good for him!

Edit: I may have once been an awful person who forced friends to use the Hol random character generation system

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, it's not just foreign languages but also how flowery the people who came up with it felt like being. I live near a place whose name is "The intersection where Mr. Bailey bought the estate" but "Bailey's Crossroads" is just more poetic.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mikl posted:

People usually realise it earlier these days because we actually talk about trans stuff. Back in the before times people had very little exposure to this stuff, so it was unlikely they'd see or hear something about trans issues and go "Oh, that's it! That's what I've felt all along!"

Yeah, even early progressive depictions were all over the place in terms of tone and knowledge, because it was unlikely they were being done by people who knew what they were talking about.

Soap was a sitcom in the late ‘70’s, in which Billy Crystal played a gay man in one of the first openly gay roles on TV. But he was also a transvestite and also transgender because no one involved knew enough about homosexuality to realize those might be different things.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

DoctorTristan posted:

My guess is they’re dragons or dragon kin - Enor has a blue speech bubble, and the empress of blood has a red bubble.

Could be a red and a green working together perhaps? Or maybe a copper and a bronze? Or maybe it’s Tiamat and her other three heads didn’t feel like chatting?

I think this makes the most sense. Tiamat is often shown as the leader of the the red quiddity pantheon, and we really haven't seen them be active at all in any of this. You'd assume that with all of the other huge things going on - especially the Godsmoot - she'd be chasing her own path and plans, which may not be directly opposed to what the paladins are up to.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Art/Hobo/Apocalypse/Boring

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

nimby posted:

Where's Sorry?

In the corner, apologizing that he didn’t have things ready on time to be included.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, Durkon’s more of a spiritual doer than a spiritual leader.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

oobey posted:

The Order for sure, and it's going to be super tragic when they charge in and ruin absolutely everything less than two panels before Durkon singlehandedly solves the entire plot. Then we'll spend the rest of the book trying to rectify the mistake that's about to unfold here in the opening chapter.

I think that’s less tragic and more really really stupid and frustrating, especially because it would be doing a bunch to unwind Roy’s growth as a leader to trust his own people. So much of the last few books has been about the party learning to trust each other and work as an actual group of friends that for the Order to jump to “Durkon’s doing something stupid and we have to save him” would just feel like stupid filler for than tragic complication.

I think it’s much more likely that nothing gets resolved here - Redcloak is in no way ready to take Durkon’s words at face value - but it implants a seed of doubt and concern in Redcloak’s mind that blossoms into a dramatic change in his plans later.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

Right now the story can afford for Thor's plan to proceed as smoothly as possible, Redcloak being unexpectedly willing to negotiate, TDO being unexpectedly willing to trust Thor, the Order not interfering, etc... because there is still the issue of the planet in the rift waiting to throw a wrench into it.

Yeah, that’s the other thing. There’s a lot of foreshadowing that The Snarl Is Not All That It Seems, and pacing-wise, it seems weird to expect this final book to both have a long set of miscommunication and missteps to resolve Xyklon and ALSO have a big “everything we knew about The Snarl is Wrong and the universe must react”.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wow. I absolutely had no idea that this month would give me a reason to care about Real Life Comics for the first time in fifteen years.

Well, happy pride month, Mae!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It amazes me how touching that got very quickly, both with High Villain Redcloak showing reason and vulnerability, and Durkon offering sympathy.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

I think there's too much we don't know about the Snarl and the world within it to be able to realistically predict where this is going.

I think that the fight with Xykon isn't going to end here. I think we're going to see the "what the snarl is" question suddenly explode - maybe everyone gets sucked in through the gate - and suddenly all of the players are not just fighting for the Snarl, but fighting within it and trying to figure out what it really is/means.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. Remember that the other thing "going on" with the caves is that the MitD has been marking doors as searched when they haven't been.

If it were just "they're figuring out the nature of the trap", there wouldn't be the question of whether the monsters are coming back faster than usual. Redcloak is glomming on to the idea that the marking system isn't working, or is being sabotaged.

My prediction is that this is going to be the distraction to keep them from confronting the party - Team Evil is going to break away to figure out what's going on, and maybe start a confrontation with MitD, and the OotS will be free to explore the dungeon.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The downside of not setting up an RSS feed is being fooled by 60 new posts about RSS feeds into thinking there was a new comic

Now to start 60 posts of people complaining that they came in thinking it was a new comic only to see 60 posts of people complaining about no new comic

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

The Order of the Scribble failed because they couldn't work together, so Serini protected the gate with a series of obstacles that no single high-level adventurer would be able to overcome. The Order of the Stick is actually a functioning team, so they'll be able to get to the gate.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm wondering how Team Evil gets past this if (when) they figure out what's up. My moneys on Meter Swarm powered mass-excavation.

I think this sets up an interesting twist. Team Evil is not a functioning team, and I think Rich may use this for two purposes: first, to highlight how The Order of the Stick has grown and bettered itself as individuals and as a team over the last several years; and also to put a final rend between Redcloak and Xykon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Redcloak taking out Xykon and taking charge of Team Evil to follow the Order into the dungeon. The meeting with Durkon may have pushed hard on Redcloak how important it is to get the Gate under his control rather than let it fall to a now-aware Pantheon, and he may just not be willing to put up with Xykon taking everything only semi-seriously.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

If this were a dungeon by and for short creatures, it would explain why the paladins are in the “hanging by their arms from chains” position but actually standing upright

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wouldn’t explain the “you coward” line, though. That sounds like the real telling part.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

AJA posted:

Step 1: Colonize
Step 2: In between bouts of killing the locals, ask them what they call local landmarks
Step 3: Realize a century or two later that their answers are variations of "that's a lake where we fish," "you're pointing at a tree," and "do you not know what a mountain is, idiot?"

Or, as the legend of the Yucatán Penninsula goes, their answer was “I don’t understand what you’re saying.”

Anyways, personally, I’m from the town of Maybe-If-We-Name-It-After-Something-Valuable-We’ll-Get-More-Settlers-To-Show-Up, also from the state of She-Who-Didn’t-gently caress in the United States of Some-Guy-Who-Wrote-A-Book.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, geek culture has always been as steeped in toxic masculinity as regular American culture, we just think we’re better because we worship cleverness over sports prowess.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

God, I hope Rich is okay, can't wait for there to be an actual new strip

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

It would not at all surprise me if Pathfinder cribbed a few things from OotS, one of the nations in the setting is outright a blatant ripoff of ASoIaF and the Targaryens.

Lord knows, if you asked me to make a fantasy world as a basis for a bunch of people to create campaigns, I’d make a giant GRRM area on the assumption that it’s what people would want to play in anyways

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Bobulus posted:

Lol, Mimi the mimic and a yellowy sphere monster (with beams) called Sunny.

Sunny, who calls another character Mom.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, he and Campbell of Pictures For Sad Children were the first two webcomic artists to really make a hit on Kickstarter, and both had less than good experiences with it due to no one realizing how viral it could get.

Though whether Campbell's mental breakdown was a result of it, or inevitable but exacerbated by it, is very debateable.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

:stat: This group of adventurers certainly looks better than the last one.
:wal: That must be why they brought the illusionist!
:stat: :wal: DOHOHOHOHO

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 27, 2021

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, that was a really good strip, playing very well into Serini having decided that she knows exactly what the Order wants and why, and not actually having a single clue.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ikanreed posted:

Actually I realized what it is.

Xykon would never forget the bird who almost destroyed his soul hidey place.

Roy might get lost in the mind fog of protagonists who stood up to him and unfurled a plot, but xykon would never forget someone who slighted him.

Also it would be super funny if Xylon remembered the bird but not Roy.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Or the situation will devolve drastically when the modrons prove that all of the corridors have been checked, and nothing was found, and Redcloak or Xylon's innate paranoia starts ramping up.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Isn't smoke how you calm bees? I feel like those two things are going to be linked, especially because it's the two Azure City paladins.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

So I think this is foreshadowing that Eugene is going to somehow gently caress this all up for the Order.

The narrative focus so far has been how the team is so much better at being a team than before - they work together better and pay attention to each other more, so if the Order loses this fight - which, pacing wise, seems likely given that there’s so much around the Snarl left unresolved - it has to be because either Team Evil is just stronger - which is narratively unsatisfying - or something fucks it up and snatches defeat out of the mouth of victory for the Order.

Eugene has been clear for the entire strip that he’s an arrogant fool, easily baited and out-thought while completely sure of his own infallible intelligence. And ending this strip with “I can’t leave it up to you” makes it very clear he’s going to try to get involved. I think Rich is setting up for Eugene to intervene in what he is sure is saving his son from his own stupidity, but in fact fucks it up because he doesn’t know what’s going on or what Roy has planned. I could see it either then going into the final confrontation between Roy and Eugene to wrap up the last unresolved parental issue, or Eugene remains as useless and distant and unresolved as ever and in loving things up knocks the party into the Snarl or some other “now we deal with the real plot” escalation.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe its a manipulation but I can't imagine Eugene ever apologizing for anything, ever. Even if it would advance his interests, so actually apologizing for suggestion earlier is something.

Yeah, I can’t see how Eugene can get any sort of redemption. He would have to actively confront how lovely a person he has been and accept the consequences of it, and he’s made it clear that he’s almost as shifty in doing whatever it takes to avoid consequences as Xykon is.

I think that there are only two really narratively satisfying results for Eugene; the first is for him to be finally trapped in a position where he has to admit that he has failed and can no longer blame things on someone else; or for Roy to finally confront him, lay out how much of a failure and fuckup Eugene has been, and to find a way to :sever: (which is hard when you’re trying to get rid of a ghost that can only speak to members of its bloodline).

There’s also “Roy clearly wins despite his father, and his father briefly seems proud but then lapses into criticism again” which feels like how Rich might have wrapped it up if this strip ended at #150, but I think we’re way too invested for “ha, that Eugene, he’ll never change” to feel right.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

DoctorTristan posted:

Not unless you count me back in 20-loving-16:

I mean, that was only what, six strips ago?

(congrats!)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well with Xykon its not an act until it is.
Hes going to act and talk the same way regardless, theres no hidden true self or real personality to him, he just like this all the time until he reminds you while he doesnt have eyes and ears he can still see and hear.

I am disappointed that imgur being a dick seems to have killed the version of this by Mr. Hyde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

If you've got decent wisdom or charisma I think you can usually make your saving throws against shame.

I'd feel bad about what this says about me (and therefore prove it by failed my shame throw) but I think Origin (Catholic) is a -10 modifier to the save roll