Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Shugojin posted:

That's what I mean - if Xykon's body gets destroyed and he suddenly finds himself around Redcloak's neck then I don't think Redcloak has really any other options but to smash the thing because Xykon will go full warpath right after

Ah, my mistake. You're right there. And I guess that actually is a case for carrying the real phylactery around his neck -- if Xykon is down, Redcloak's probably also in bad shape, and if the Order is the one who did it, having the Phylactery exactly where they think it is increases their chances of keeping him down permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I didn't think Redcloak had it around his neck? When the original got thrown into the water, he equipped his backup symbol. Then he created a duplicate of the original, and gave it to Xykon. If he kept the original around his neck, Xykon would notice the ruse - he's supposed to be using his backup or have acquired a new one anyway.

Checking the wiki, yeah, you're right. That said, Redcloak could have had the Phylactery done up to look like the backup holy symbol: if Xykon was fooled, he's probably not going to recheck.

Does a Lich know if his phylactery has been destroyed? If not, and if Redcloak wasn't so big into sunk costs, destroying the phylactery in Gobbtopia while Xykon was off-plane might have been prudent.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, Find Traps isn't really very powerful. It's a niche spell for low level parties who don't have rogues. Like, when you're exploring a kobold warren and you don't want to trip a snare, not when you're raiding an epic level dungeon and you need to disarm The Last Pharaoh's Agonisation of C'thonk.

I was thinking Find Traps seems significantly more useful in 3.5e. In 5e, it's basically:

Caster: "Okay, I cast Find Traps. There are definitely traps nearby"
Other Party Member: "Okay, where are they?"
Caster: "Somewhere within 120 feet... I got the impression of...some kind of spikes?"

Though to be fair, I don't think Rogues have any special ability to find traps that other characters don't in 5e.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Possible but unlikely that he just forgot, however I am 99% sure that Redcloak just swapped from his backup holy symbol to the actual phylactery. The question is; given that Xykon doesn't appear to have noticed, did Redcloak dispel all the enchantments and wards on it? Because I feel like he'd pick up on how well-warded Redcloak's new holy symbol is.

Redcloak and Xykon both know that members of the Order of the Stick have the information that, at least at one time, Redcloak used Xykon's phylactery as his Holy Symbol.

The thing around Redcloak's neck is almost certainly a decoy, because if it's real, and a situation arises where Redcloak is down, Xykon is up, the Order recovers the Real Phylactery from around Redcloak's his neck and destroys it, Xykon kills Redcloak and obliterates Gobbtopia, probably not in that order..

maltesh
May 20, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

There are actually sites starting to pop up that don't support RSS at all but they generally suck so this isn't yet a problem.

It is a bit annoying. I also vaguely remember the OOtS RSS feed having some issues with item order that caused problems with the RSS reader I was using at the time, so I wound up using the Reddit RSS feed for the comics for a couple years. Those issues seem to have been fixed now.

I use an instance of TinyRSS running off a raspberry pi because I have almost no need to check webcomics when I'm not at home, and getting it working properly was sufficiently annoying to keep me occupied for several days a couple years ago.

Still a far cry from the days when Google Reader roamed the Earth, and when Yahoo Pipes could be browbeaten to make RSS Feeds for sites than didn't have them.

Ah: Meant to ask; What's a recommended Xykon quote for an avatar? Other than "Power is Power?"

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 16, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Huh, that looks suspiciously like a halfling on stilts.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

In Start of Darkness Redcloak had a brother and a neice and nephew, who loved him, all of whom he killed.

So that's nice.

In Start of Darkness, the Sapphire Guard killed most of Redcloak's immediate family. Being drafted into Xykon's army killed Right-Eye's wife and sons (Admittedly, that might not have happened had Redcloak not been visiting them at the time.) Right-Eye's daughter was smuggled away, and presumably, has left the narrative alive. Redcloak unambiguously killed Right-Eye, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ZearothK posted:

What the hell is Strength 18/XX?

In First and Second Edition , if you were rolling Strength for a character that was a Fighter or similar, if you rolled up an 18, you would roll percentile dice to get a score between 18/01 and 18/00.

The various Strength-attached bonuses would also apply to the brackets presented on the listed chart (To Hit and Damage Bonus, Open Doors rolls, Bend Bars/Lift Gates chance, etc.).

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

I thought it was originally a commentary on feminism and self-expression as a woman?
By the time Thud came around there was definitely a flavour of strict religious/cultural restriction though, yeah.

I think on a meta level it says something about how bigotry isn't just a factor of being older than the issue at hand, too. Pratchett was writing sympathetic stories about trans people (even if he did not understand he was doing so at the time - Cheery and Hamcrusher are trans in having been assigned male but identifying female later in life) by accident, entirely as a result of being a good guy in general.

I think you mean Ardent. Hamcrusher's the murder victim in Thud

maltesh
May 20, 2004

sebmojo posted:

he's up to 3,000 patreons with a $2 minimum, which is fairly :unsmith:

I think he takes more care about rules than he lets on, but keeping a fundamental level of 'it doesn't matter' is essential for his sanity.

For what it's worth, $2 isn't the minimum, it's the minimum suggested, and the only named tier. There are no posts on his Patreon gated by the $2 tier, they're all either "Public" or "All Patrons"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

From an evolutionary standpoint, humans are goddamn terrifying in many respects, in terms of where we can live, what we can safely consume, how we hunt, and that's before you factor in things like tool usage.

And language.

If even a single human works out a hole in your hard-won evolutionary strategies, the entire nearby human population can start exploiting it before you have time to breed even a single new generation.

The human that works it out might not even have encountered your species.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Though it’s really odd that TDO apparently hasn’t directly communicated with his own high priest in quite a while, even just to give him a generic pep-talk, especially when they’re apparently right on the verge of finally getting to enact their master plan. The most Redcloak has gotten is just an incredibly vague second-hand command to not screw up, and not even anything more specific about what he should be doing to avoid that.

Maybe the Dark One can't contact RedCloak directly.

Spoilers from Start of Darkness:

Possibly has something to do with the Crimson Mantle jumping Redcloak directly from Acolyte to High Priest. He's never had to cultivate the connection to the Dark One to access the power, so faith-wise, he's still at that Acolyte level... or less.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

sebmojo posted:

The little puns in spell components were p funny

Googling this, I stumbled across this Material Spell Components in D&D 5e Google Sheet which points out quite a few of the puns in spell components that have lasted to Fifth Edition, originally posted on this reddit thread.

Edit: Had a chuckle at Feeblemind's components of "Spheres of glass, crystal, or mineral", described as "Makes your target... lose their marbles."

maltesh fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 12, 2022

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I still fondly regard Qui-Gon'sconvoluted plan for the Pod race, during which he forgets whether his plan is to have Anakin win or lose the race, multiple times.

Also their version of whether Han Shot First.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

All illusion used in the caverns now rendered null and void, or at least, bypassed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

In the setting of this particular comic, where Durkon chanted "Resurrection!" for ten minutes to bring Roy back to life, every indication is that they do say the name of the spell when casting

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The copyright's right at the bottom of the strip, so it was 2004 when #113 was published. October 21st, by the wiki. So, maybe twelve years old?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Alternatively, the Modron is now free to leave at any time, and is only remaining around to potentially further the cause of Law by leaving at an inopportune moment.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

JuniperCake posted:

Nah, it's likely an intentional lack of communication. Because if he had anything more pertinent to say, he wouldn't have had Jirix's only message for Redcloak be "Don't screw this up". Unless Jirix was lying but that seems extremely unlikely.

Not saying it's meaningful or anything. But TDO definitely had an opportunity to pass some kind of info to Redcloak if that was his intention. Even if it was something like hey call me you jerk.

I don't think the Dark One can communicate directly with Redcloak.

According to Start of Darkness, Redcloak was just an acolyte of The Dark One when he inherited the Crimson Mantle because almost everyone in his village was killed. He's never had to forge the connection to their diety that actual priesthood wound confer.

Redcloak's got the Crimson Mantle artifact, and it gave him the knowledge, and the mission, and according to the wiki, he's managed to keep the cloak for about as long as all previous bearers combined.

The Dark One probably would prefer a Bearer of the Crimson Mantle that he could talk to. But there no guarantee that they'd be as capable as Redcloak apparently is, and Redcloak has gotten him far closer to his goal than any previous bearer. So it's mostly hands off and watch, and see how far this goes.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Hmm, Given that they're not on panel in the Marshmellow Test Saga™ distraction, I suspect Oona and the Wolf are about to Team Evil MVP again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Third post in the thread, and was following it when it was in the webcomics thread. I don't remember what was happening when I started reading, but OoTS is the longest-running webcomic that I still follow and enjoy.