Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

EC10 posted:

you started the hand with 50 bb's, you flopped a J, theres broadway cards on the flop, its cake poker, and you folded at some point?

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

yup :(...i thought the guy filled up with that flush for sure...i won't be folding next time...150 duckets lesson learned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Just the last question on the hand I put up.

I see there is a common agreement in that the flop was played badly. The concensus means I need to work on taht, so I'd like to know what about it was the problem. Is it is a multiway pot with people still to act? Or that I called the cbet at all despite not hitting. I really didn't think villain had an Ace, because of the pause and the bet, I felt thats exactly how I'd play JJ-KK. I felt only an Ace would otherwise get involved, so if I called and noone else did, I coudl push him off of it.

That is not a defence, because I'll concede that it was bad. I'd just like to know what was bad with it. Does someone else have the A too often for it to profit? Should I only be continuing if the set hits in a multiway pot? Is blah right because this is actually a brag that turned out right so I thought it must be good?

Edit: From chat, to explain my flop move...

[02:42] <FatTurkey> It was what exactly was the problem with the 88 call
[02:42] <FatTurkey> Is it that the guy cbetted and I should only be continuing with a set
[02:43] <Morphius22000> yeah basically
[02:43] <FatTurkey> Or was it that it was MW and the others could have an Ace
[02:43] <Morphius22000> usually one guy leading into 3 others cbetting should have an ace, BUT if he doesnt someone else probably does
[02:43] <Morphius22000> its both the points combined
[02:44] <Morphius22000> there were 3 other people who liked their hands enough PF to raise/call a raise, most likely one of them has an ace
[02:44] <FatTurkey> Morph: I knew he didn't have the Ace
[02:44] <Morphius22000> so you called hoping the other two didnt?
[02:44] <FatTurkey> Its a read because I just clicked that....the waiting, the betting, the PFR....it was exactly how I'd play TT-KK
[02:45] <Morphius22000> there are still two more to act behind you, even if you're certain he doesnt have it
[02:45] <FatTurkey> essentially yes. I felt the only person calling after me has an Ace and I either suck out or give up on turn
[02:45] <Morphius22000> alright, i understand now
[02:46] <FatTurkey> It's all kind of implied
[02:46] <Morphius22000> right
[02:46] <Morphius22000> id like to know from someone more experienced if that is spew or not
[02:46] <FatTurkey> It's one of the only times I could say I've really got in an opponents head. I didn't know about the other two
[02:46] <FatTurkey> Well, all of them said fold, so it appears so

This is why blah might be right in it being some sort of thinly veiled brag. If it is, it is veiled from me. But this is one of the only hands where I just felt...I knew what he had and how he'd play it. That was my factor in calling. As I said it's probably wrong.

What I want to know is is it wrong because I should only play when an 8 hits (so fold even HU, although I think MW makes me call look UBERstrong), or is it the fact I have this plan but still have two people to act behind me? For the record, HU I do not shove the turn. It was my perceived "strength" from calling the flop that I used as an image play on what I thought was a tight player who could lay it down.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 15, 2007

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
http://www.pokerhand.org/?826133

Was folding the right decision? No reads, second hand on the table.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

puschel posted:

I think you were beat here but im not 100% sure. With all the limpers, he could of flopped a set, or 2pair and turned the boat or still have the better 2pair. Pot bet? i think...at the end looks like strength to me but it is 25NL. lol , not knowing anything, I fold here.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

puschel posted:

Whats with the wimpy flop raise?

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?

LuckySevens posted:

Whats with the wimpy flop raise?

What would have been more appropriate?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

puschel posted:

A raise to $2 or so

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

puschel posted:

Let me put it this way, why confine yourself to the problems of limit hold em by making a limit-style raise?

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?

LuckySevens posted:

Let me put it this way, why confine yourself to the problems of limit hold em by making a limit-style raise?

Nicely put.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

blah_blah posted:

A raise to $2 or so

I agree, I don't know why the amount you raised didn't click at first but I do agree with everyone, def more of a flop raise there.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcTAwsTFxcfCxsTExMbDxIjFwcPFwM0%3d

im puzzled by this play...is he betting 2pair or a set? or the nuts? im not sure how to react to that bet...do i call and see what he does on the turn? provided a blank hits..1/2 pot..do i call or bump it? pot bet again im pretty sure i would fold..any thoughts would be appreciated

i had KK and keep in mind this is cake lol

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

souLjah posted:

im puzzled by this play...is he betting 2pair or a set? or the nuts? im not sure how to react to that bet...do i call and see what he does on the turn? provided a blank hits..1/2 pot..do i call or bump it? pot bet again im pretty sure i would fold..any thoughts would be appreciated

wow this BLOWS (the situation, not your fold). i actually don't mind your fold. once you see that many callers pre you're almost playing your KK for set value.

avoid this problem by not playing full ring! :)

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

souLjah posted:

I agree with EC10 on this, that is a gross flop for your KK and a fold is most likely good here even if it is Cake (and probably because it is Cake). 99/88/77/TJ/89/78/65 all have you boned hard, so a ton of hands that would play for implied odds could've hit this. If you are doing FR, which I'm beginning to think is full of set miners and the like, you are going to have to be potting it a lot to drive people out preflop, or raising even more then that.

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

EC10 posted:

wow this BLOWS (the situation, not your fold). i actually don't mind your fold. once you see that many callers pre you're almost playing your KK for set value.

avoid this problem by not playing full ring! :)

teach me to play 6max then cause i suck at it lol

Cactus Jack posted:

I agree with EC10 on this, that is a gross flop for your KK and a fold is most likely good here even if it is Cake (and probably because it is Cake). 99/88/77/TJ/89/78/65 all have you boned hard, so a ton of hands that would play for implied odds could've hit this. If you are doing FR, which I'm beginning to think is full of set miners and the like, you are going to have to be potting it a lot to drive people out preflop, or raising even more then that.

Thanks guys..i think I was beat there but not 100% sure. One thing I have found at 50NL and 100NL at cake is that if one guy calls, you wind up getting a few more callers because the guy called. lol

souLjah fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 16, 2007

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

souLjah posted:

teach me to play 6max then cause i suck at it lol

Raise every hand pre and 3-bet anything playable. There you go.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
Hypothetical: Button and BB had been betting/3betting a lot of hands, and I wanted to exploit this limping in here. BB has been very agressive postflop, but I haven't seen him make any huge moves besides bet/3betting all in with a combodraw on the flop.

Villian($123.40) (BB)
Hero ($219.85) (CO)

Preflop: Hero is dealt K:c: K:h:
2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, Villian checks.

Flop: 8:c: K:s: 9:c: Pot: $1
Villian bets $1, Hero raises to $2, Villian calls $1

Turn: 8:c: K:s: 9:c: 7:d: Pot: $3
Villian checks, Hero bets $3, Villian raises to $13, Hero raises to $30, Villian pushes for $120.

There is $63 in the pot and it is $90 to call.

Call or fold?

PS: The flop was moronic, I know, but let's not talk about that here. I am more interested in discussion of the turn.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Villain's in the BB so anything goes.

Hands you're ahead of:

K8, K9, K7: 9 hands
87, 89, or 79: 27 hands
Semi-bluff combo draw, two clubs and a ten or six (more likely ten):
Hard to quantify, but if he's aggressive he'll probably bet any Tx suited on the flop because it's a draw and you haven't shown any strength, and that wouldn't be a bad hand to semi-bluff jam the turn with. I'll say maybe 8 hands of these, but that's a little fudged. It's probably more in reality but it's less likely he'd play these hands this way anyway.
88, 99, 77: 9 hands

Now, we have to weight the whole thing of hands you're ahead of down a lot because of the call on the flop. Basically, the only things you're ahead of, it would be weird for him not to reraise on the flop. BUT, people do slowplay some stuff til the turn. It probably decreases the chance he has something like 79 the most. The only hand out of all these that I think is completely reasonable he'd play this way is 77.

So anyway, we'll go from saying you're ahead of over 50 hands to saying you're ahead of, I dunno, I think 20 is generous. That's saying that he'd play these hands this way 40% of the time he has them. If you want to make this analysis more thorough yourself, you can adjust these numbers based on your read of him.

Hands you're behind:
JT and 65: 16 each
65 I'm really discounting because weakness shown or not, who bets out a gutshot to the idiot end of a straight? JT I could see him playing this way.
So, on the surface, that's 32 hands, but I'm also counting this as more like 20 because while I think him playing JT is completely reasonable this way, the line just doesn't make any sense for 65.

So to me it looks like there's about 20 hands worth of combinations you're ahead of and 20 you're behind. Just on the surface there's a lot more POSSIBLE hands you're ahead of, but we have to discount them a lot because of the lower odds that he'd play them this way. If you think it's just impossible he'd play them this way then you're probably behind, but if there's a chance, then it's magnified by just how many more combinations of hands there are that you're ahead of.

You also have to add in Harrington's Law, that there's always a 10% chance he's just completely bluffing. I dunno if that applies here but it makes me sound smart for mentioning it!

Anyway, I'm gonna say it's a call, especially since even if you're behind you still have 10 outs to beat him anyway.

Just to be thorough, let's think about what would have to happen for this to be a fold:

So, if he's got two pair or a lower set, he's got either no outs or 1 out, so we'll say you're basically a lock in this situation, so the EV there if you're ahead of calling is the whole $183. Sometimes he might have a combo draw though and he'll still have outs in those cases, so I am going to be completely unmathematical here and guess this will reduce your EV to maybe $150 or so the times you're ahead. The reason I'm not working this out is because we'd have to make a lot of assumptions about how often he'd play a combo draw this way vs. a normal flush draw and all that poo poo.

If you're behind, you've got a 20% chance to still win, so it's

.20(183) + .8(-90) = -35.4 is your EV when you're behind.

From our above calculations we said there was roughly about equal chance you were ahead and behind so your EV of calling was

.5(150) + .5 (-35.4) = 57.3

In order for folding to be right, the chance of you being behind (which we'll call x) has to be high enough that the EV of calling is less than 0, so:

(1-x)(150) + (-35.4x) < 0
150 - 150x - 35.4x < 0
150 < 185.4x
150/185.4 < x
.809 < x

So there's basically got to be at least an 81% chance you're behind to make folding right here. We estimated that there was about a 50% chance you were behind currently, so that would make it "call" in a landslide.

How unlikely would he have to be to play the hands you're ahead of this way to make it a fold? Well, I'm glad you asked, because I have nothing to do for the next few minutes!

Okay, so the raw number of hands you're ahead of is about 53, and the raw hands you're behind is 32. (Remember the 53 is already a little fudged since I didn't know how many draw hands to count).

Anyway, the chance of him playing a hand you're ahead this way is x, and the chance he'd play a hand you're behind this way is y (basically this is just to discount the 65's). For simplicity's sake, let's go with our earlier assumption that there's a 25% chance or less he'd play 25 this way and say there's 20 hands you're behind, to make this easier.

So, remember we got earlier that there has to be an 81% chance you're behind to make it worth folding, so therefore the ratio of things you're behind to ahead of must be about 4 to 1 to make it worth folding
(.81 / (1 - .81)) = 4.26

So if x is the frequency he will play hands you're ahead of with this line:
4.26 = 20 / 53x
53x = 20 / 4.26
x = 20 / (4.26 * 53)
x = .089

This means that you can fold if there's less than a NINE percent chance he would play the hands you're ahead of this way. If he's just the most straightforward of players and would never ever be tricky with two pair or a set like this and wait til the turn to get his money in, it's a fold. But if you think there's at least a ten percent chance he could wait til the turn then jam his money like this with hands you're ahead of, it's a call. (P.S. the real number is actually lower than this because a lot of players would play 77 this way a huge amount of the time, meaning he has to play the other hands this way less of the time to even it out).

We didn't play with him so we can't make that decision for you, but this is how you solve hands. If anyone sees a problem with my math, let me know. I just got up and there might be mistakes somewhere. I also skipped some steps with the algebra, so if anyone hasn't done algebra in awhile and needs me to fill in the steps I'd be happy to, I just left them out because I'm lazy.

These kinds of hands are pretty simple to solve the framework for, but nobody can plug in the numbers and get the real verdict but the person who was playing with them, and that's you.

buffybot fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 16, 2007

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

toybux posted:

Call or fold?

PS: The flop was moronic, I know, but let's not talk about that here. I am more interested in discussion of the turn.

folding is gross.

AmnesiaLab
Nov 9, 2004

Stark raving sane.

Fat Turkey posted:

This is why blah might be right in it being some sort of thinly veiled brag. If it is, it is veiled from me. But this is one of the only hands where I just felt...I knew what he had and how he'd play it. That was my factor in calling. As I said it's probably wrong.

What I want to know is is it wrong because I should only play when an 8 hits (so fold even HU, although I think MW makes me call look UBERstrong), or is it the fact I have this plan but still have two people to act behind me? For the record, HU I do not shove the turn. It was my perceived "strength" from calling the flop that I used as an image play on what I thought was a tight player who could lay it down.

Before I say anything: By all means, if you've got a strong enough read that all your instincts are telling you to call the flop, go with it. You've gotta trust your gut if your gut is generally reliable. That's what reads are about; they make profitable plays out of situations that might not typically be profitable.

That said, it's a matter of a c-bet in a protected pot. He raised and got three calls, two of which have position on him. One checked in front, which means little given this flop. There are two people still to act behind him and the board is devoid of draws. He could safely check a good pair hoping it checked around; a lot of people at NL50 would check through without an ace, instantly putting the raiser on AK! :hurr: Well, they'd be afraid he might have an ace, at least. If someone fires on this flop, they're likely to have one. Therefore, the raiser has a fair chance of being able to check his pair through, keeping the pot skinny for later streets and having a better chance to get to showdown cheaply, while giving himself a chance to get out if someone wakes up. If you've pegged him as weak-tight, this would be a common weak-tight play for something like TT-KK here.

The fact that he hesitated and bet doesn't necessarily mean he's scared. Hesitation is a common lure online when someone has a big hand. He may be attempting to instill doubt that he has an ace so he can get paid off. Coupled with a smallish bet, it could either be true weakness or feigned. Regardless of whether it is, you have no idea what the other two people in the hand have, and with four people in a raised pot, there are very good chances there's an ace around.

If you were on the button, that would leave just a single unknown commodity behind you. There, I'd call more often unless I had pegged the SB as a tricky type who likes to check-raise. If I had him pegged as straightforward, I'd generally look up the villain with the read you had if I thought he could be knocked off. Calling here does look very strong, and it's exactly what he fears if he doesn't have an ace. His repeated weak bet into a thinner field on the T screams weakness, and unless you think he's savvy enough to set that up intentionally, the push is the way to go. But that's been covered.

There is one other thing that makes the flop call not so bad with a read, in my opinion. While you may only have a read on the villain, you were the first to call his raise. The other two in the hand are the button and the small blind. The button had better odds than usual to call (just shy of 2.5:1) since you coldcalled in front, and the small blind was getting 4:1 to call. That broadens their ranges considerably, which makes it less likely for them to have an ace. At the very least, the flop bet is relatively cheap, giving you a chance to call and see how the others react.

I don't think the flop call is terrible. I don't think it's great, either. I would make it if my read was strong enough, and in this case yours was. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you haven't really found your happy place as far as reads go, you've gotta trust it. From what I've seen of you in goon games (which isn't exactly a huge sample size, but still), you generally have pretty sharp reads. My NLHE notes on you from Full Tilt read:

"Usually a fairly strong reader. Some limit-player holes in fundamentals.
Can play the sheriff at the river, especially with hands like A-hi on double-paired boards."

(Well, that's what my shorthand notes translate to, anyway. Granted, I haven't played with you since early last GSOP season. I imagine you've gotten better (although for what it's worth, I had you color-coded as pretty dangerous) since you've been playing NL full time for a while now. Regardless of how far you've progressed now, if you had asked six months ago what to do here, I'd have told you to trust your gut based on how it had served you while I was at the table. (Granted, my read of you is based on a woefully short sample size. :v: )

So, in short, if you tally things up and it looks like you'd be making a small mistake according to the book, but a read pulls you the other way, go for it if the price is decent. You can afford to make a call like this on the flop, when it's cheap. Your read changes the whole EV equation, and if it turns out to be a mistake to call the flop and you have to fold the turn, you didn't lost much. To review, this is a bad flop call by the book, but reads have the power to trump the book in my opinion.

Hopefully I haven't set myself up for some crazy nth-level-thinking battles in the future by divulging the notes I had on you. (That's not all of them, at least.) :laugh:

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
OK, I will admit it--that hand I posted was a reverse. I was villian, and I was interested to see what people thought about losing 240bb with top set in a limped pot on that board. I had JT and it held up when he called.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?827416

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
If he folded he'd be a complete moron. What did you want us to say about it, really?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

It was a brag. Nice hand.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
It's kinda a brag, but I think its more interesting than you are making it out. If I had K7/K8/77/88 and was going to play it hard, or a combodraw I wanted to play hard, why wouldn't I reraise the minraise on the flop? And then why wouldn't I care at all about the straight card on the turn? I think any weighted range has to have JT as the single most likely holding here.

The way he played the hand was pretty bad for a number of reasons, but I don't think calling off 180bb with the 4th nuts in a limped pot is a no-brainer.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I mean, the way he played the rest of the hand, I am not surprised he got most of his money in with the worst hand. 'Sall I'm sayin. I don't think he was thinking about any of what you said. Weighted ranges? Does this look like a guy who thinks about weighted ranges? :)

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
I'm going to post two very interesting (IMO) hands that I played yesterday at 10/20 NL vs JCarver on cake. They were among the toughest decisions I've had to make on Cake so far and left me feeling like I really should avoid playing pots with JC even if I have position on him.

First one:

JCarver, as you all know, is a tough LAG who definitely keeps up the pressure. In my experience with him when he has a marginal hand he is usually doing more calling and practicing more pot control rather than betting out and putting opponents to big decisions. But he also obviously isn't afraid of making big moves if he feels the timing is right.

I'm not really sure what his image of me is. Nachos said he probably thinks of the goons who play HSNL with him as "thinking stations" (a term JC used to describe Unamuno once) which I guess means a thinking player who can be a calling station but can also think themselves into big folds. I think that description fits me pretty well.

As for the table dynamic at the time, I had been fairly active but not too laggy. Two big pots I played were against a fish to JC's right who I was at the table for. I hadn't been very aggressive post flop for the most part, as a lot of my cbets had been taking it down. This was my first HU pot with JC that went past the flop iirc.

In retrospect my flop bet was definitely too small. It's $100 into a $190 pot -- should have made it $120-140 at least. But the short stack only has like $600 left, which may have been my reasoning at the time. JC probably noticed the bet was small.

6 handed
JC in the Big Blind $2,285.00
me UTG+1 $3,003.25
donk shortack in the CO $659.00 - cold calls like 80% of my raises PF (usually trash but also caught him doing it with KK)

UTG folds, I raise to 60 with A:h: J:c:, CO calls, Button and SB fold, JC calls

Flop A:c: Q:s: 3:d:

JC checks, I bet $100, CO folds, JC calls

Turn 7:c:

JC bets $250 into a $390 pot

I really wasn't expecting this. The board is dry, so I couldn't think of any draws out and I was thinking about checking behind his turn check for pot control. Then he bets out and takes that option away from me :( I was definitely considering folding here as the board is dry and I couldn't think of many hands I was ahead of that would be flat calling the flop and then leading out like this. I call though to re-evaluate the river.

River 2:h:

JC bets $686 into a $890 pot

So what do we put him on here? Call or fold?

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I WON $1,424,500 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE
How does JC play preflop? Does he re-raise (squeeze here) a lot? Would he do it with AQ/AK a lot, or does he tend to call with AQish type hands OOP a lot?

I vote for call down. Flop was AQ3r, and besides 33, I can't see any other hands that beat you that he would play so slowly (AK he often 3-bets pf, AQ would try to get in more action somewhere and might re-raise pf to try to get it in vs the short stack). In actuality I put him on a hand like JT/KJ that called on the flop with intent to bluff the turn, since your flop bet was so small anyway. He could also have AT/AJ.

<thinking-station> I call turn and call river too</thinking-station>

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
I also think you played the hand perfectly against someone like JC by keeping the pot small on the turn. If the turn was a K/T/9 or even another Q I would fold much more often. But the 7 is such a perfect blank (but maybe it's less likely he's bluffing now?) that I tend to call down. He might even make a super thin v-bet (AT and A9) on the river that you can call again.

He might even have something like 42s and 52s that is nothing but a gutter on the flop :) Give him as much rope as possible since he's FPSing fairly often.

edit: Also, no matter that your hand is face-up here as a marginal Ax. He know who you are and knows that you know that your hand is face-up, so he'll expect his dbl-barrel to be successful fairly often as well. From what I gather about JC, he does a lot of floating in position with hands as little as gutshots. He'll often call on the flop and raise a turn bet, or bet when checked too. He doesn't really raise that much when he can float (like he oftens call a bet on this flop with JT/KJ instead of raising it).

He could also easily have Qx like KQ or QJ that is now trying to get you off an ace. All I'm saying is that because his range is comprised of so many bluffs and previous-street-semi-bluffs that you must call in the end. I must be the epitome of the thinking station!

Psyduck fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 17, 2007

crackstar
May 9, 2003
Do you ever raise the turn intending to fold to a push? Having the Jc closes off some of the club broadway combo draws. Of course if he flat calls the raise, he'll have about a good sized bullet to fire on the river.

Do any of you like to 3-bet AQo pre-flop in JC's spot? Seems to me like it would just induce correct play from everyone. The hands you want to make money against with AQ would fold (AT, AJ, KQ, etc.), and the ones that are beating you will 4-bet. I think the other caller makes 3-betting AQ less likely also.

EC10 what kind of range do you open with from this spot? This is a pretty weird flop to try an OOP float unless you've been opening/continuing with a very wide range.

I think I would make a modest raise on the turn, and then probably not put any further money in. Is this horrible?

edit: Would a raise induce pushes from hands like gut-shots? If so then my line is quite bad.

crackstar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 17, 2007

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
I think JC calls more with AQ/AK OOP in this spot than he does RR PF.

and crackstar, imo the "raise and fold to a push" line usually doesn't work the way you want it to against good players (especially LAGs).

and as far as my range, im pretty sure my hand is face up to JC by the river.

\/ coming later

EC10 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 17, 2007

Psyduck
Oct 27, 2004
where's the second hand

reethaxor
Apr 26, 2002

Where's that fucking marble?
http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=829839

I had been lagging it up for a while, raising a lot PF and cbetting, taking down a ton of pots. I felt really bad about the river call but made it anyway. How can I avoid these situations :(

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

reethaxor posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=829839

I had been lagging it up for a while, raising a lot PF and cbetting, taking down a ton of pots. I felt really bad about the river call but made it anyway. How can I avoid these situations :(

The guy either has a monster (trips/boat/quads) or is drawing. If they are drawing, you have the Nut flush draw and don't mind another heart hitting since you are taking their stack. The Ace on the turn gives you TPTK, great hand, and also some crazy 2 pair/boat hands possible. When he bets into you on the river it is usually a bad sign, unless it is some small donk blocking bet, but this looks like a pure 'omg please call my little more then half pot value bet'. It signals that they either backdoored a flush draw (not that likely) or were check calling a monster the entire way. If you've seen them do this before (reads baby), a fold is good here. Without reads I'm a bit of a nit here and fold. The Ace hit on the turn which will usually stop people dead in their tracks if they are trying to be tricky against a PFR. The value bet on the river is telling me they hit or had something big.

steve odwyer
Jan 5, 2003

I agree with everything psyduck said. I'd be really surprised if this was AK/AQ since I think he 3-bets those pf a huge percentage of the time with the donk cold caller in the pot.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Stupidly long, unformatted text file here of a session (no converters I could find work with PKR.com)

General Critisism/Critique/compliments are welcome from anyone with the guts to read through the drat thing

http://www.arrakeen.org/Hotwirehand.txt

edit: I'll keep it there, but I'm updating with what I was thinking.

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 18, 2007

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Hotwire posted:

Stupidly long, unformatted text file here of a session (no converters I could find work with PKR.com)

General Critisism/Critique/compliments are welcome from anyone with the guts to read through the drat thing

http://www.arrakeen.org/Hotwirehand.txt

edit: I'll keep it there, but I'm updating with what I was thinking.

Why not just post key hands that you felt uncomfortable playing?

souLjah
May 28, 2003
Official bank of PITR

LuckySevens posted:

yup...pokerhand.org

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

LuckySevens posted:

Will do, Sorry about that. I'll just keep adding to this as I convert them, and leave the whole text file up there because I can.

This was my first hand at the table, trying to play differently from how I normally do (trying to muscle others out, really.) However, I'm new to poker, and have no idea if I was working on it correctly. I won, but don't know if I put forward that kind of playing... 'style'

http://www.pokerhand.org/?832079

This hand, I'm wondering how idiotic I was for thinking that the other guy was just trying to muscle with his all in bet. That and how goddamn lucky I was. (11.12% of winning after the flop, apparently.)

http://www.pokerhand.org/?832094

That's it, really. I ended up cleaning out everyone at the table, and was looking for general comments on how I played, but those are my two weakest hands (both wins, oddly enough.)

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 18, 2007

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
Hand 1, value bet the river. Don't show if he folds.

Hand 2, fold preflop. As played Fold flop to the allin bet.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Playing 3 handed against a few tough, but leaky players. One guy has seemed to hit me pretty hard, it might look like to him I'm tilting a little bit, or he could not be noticing at all. Reason is I've been check-pushing draws on flops etc.

***** Hand 538817618 *****
5.00/10.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - Sunday, 18 February 2007 1:04:03 PM
Table TH 739 (Real/Cash Game)
Seat 3: T.BROLIN (1486.00)
Seat 4: SALucky (1161.00)
Seat 5: TheCarbons (1440.25)
T.BROLIN post SB 5.00
SALucky post BB 10.00
** Deal **
T.BROLIN [N/A, N/A]
SALucky [6s, 6c]
TheCarbons [N/A, N/A]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
TheCarbons Call 10.00
T.BROLIN Call 10.00
SALucky Raise to 50.00
TheCarbons Fold
T.BROLIN Call 50.00
*** Flop(Board): *** : [10c, 7d, 7s]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
T.BROLIN Check
SALucky Bet 80.00
T.BROLIN Call 80.00
*** Turn(Board): *** : [10c, 7d, 7s, 9s]
*** Bet Round 3 ***
T.BROLIN Check
SALucky Check
*** River(Board): *** : [10c, 7d, 7s, 9s, 6h]
*** Bet Round 4 ***
T.BROLIN Bet 200.00
SALucky All-in 1031.00

Who likes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
Looks good. Your hand as played is a bit face up to me. Especially on the river there. I can see leaky players make crying calls here with 88. I dont know if he would be raising instead of limping hands like TT, 99, 88, and 77. If he has any of those other than 88 I'd just mark it off as a cooler but as played I think it looks good.

Who knows, he might be having a brain fart to limp-call 89s and call the flop c-bet.

• Locked thread